• NEW! LOWEST RATES EVER -- SUPPORT THE SHOW AND ENJOY THE VERY BEST PREMIUM PARACAST EXPERIENCE! Welcome to The Paracast+, eight years young! For a low subscription fee, you can download the ad-free version of The Paracast and the exclusive, member-only, After The Paracast bonus podcast, featuring color commentary, exclusive interviews, the continuation of interviews that began on the main episode of The Paracast. We also offer lifetime memberships! Flash! Take advantage of our lowest rates ever! Act now! It's easier than ever to susbcribe! You can sign up right here!

Subscribe to The Paracast Newsletter!

Phoenix Mars Probe Succeeds!

Belgarion said:
If you download the picture to your workstation and use Windows Picture & Fax Viewer or what ever you have available to really zoom in on the artifact you'll see what I mean about being blurred. Nothing else in the picture has the same characteristics with the small vertical blocking. Most blocks are running horizontally and not as small...

Not sure what you mean. Does describing a digital artifact not make it an artifact?

Look, if you want to believe NASA is blurring out White Poles sticking out of the surface of Mars, go ahead. You're not going to hurt my feelings or anything. I've seen a lot crazier than this.

MADMANMIKE said:
Paranormal Packrat said:
...My guess is, no life on Mars. I think we would have found it by now. I hope I'm wrong, and would be thrilled if there was though. I'm all for looking still.

..Would have found it by now? I've heard this kind of statement before, but I can't imagine where that sort of assumption comes from. Please explain your logic...

-Mike

My guess was rooted in pessimism since logical arguments can be made either way.

I think there is life there, just not intelligent life. There may have been at one time though. Of course I could be wrong and it could be where the Reptoids or whatever live so what the hell do I know? :)

cottonzway said:
I think there is life there, just not intelligent life. There may have been at one time though. Of course I could be wrong and it could be where the Reptoids or whatever live so what the hell do I know? :)

Yes, I'm open to maybe bases there by others from elsewhere. Nothing that would have evolved there though. I've seen no evidence for it (bases that is), but doesn't hurt to remain open. If we're being repeatedly visited by other beings, it makes sense that they might build bases on the moon or Mars. I just got done posting a vid about Phobos, which some think ets blew it up etc.

Poi said:
Welp, they're giving us black and white pictures when they could have been in color. (We'll see the color later. Why?)

NASA haven't yet decided how much 'red' they're gonna add to the pictures...

...the surface of Mars looks very 'Earth-like' - brown dirt and blue sky - NASA doesn't like that, so they make it all look a lot redder; more 'alien' and therefore *appearing* to be less likely to support life.

IMO, Mars is teeming with life of one form or another (probably simple plants and bacteria below the surface). Eventually, NASA might admit it to us.

Rick Deckard said:
They haven't yet decided how much 'red' they're gonna add to the pictures...

This is a little idiotic. The next time Mars is visible, go outside and look at it in binoculars or a small telescope. It's very reddish-orange.

The cameras in use are not like the cameras we use to photograph birthdays and beach trips. Getting the true "color" of something is tricky; especially on Mars where the atmosphere is practically non-existent, dust is everywhere, there's much less sunlight and no human eyes are available. The failure of the gullible to understand this has caused NASA no end of grief. Using a certain color filter is, of course, a conspiracy.

But there's no doubt that the environment has a lot of orange. If martians were looking at Earth, they would determine a lot of our environment was blue --- they'd be close to right.

Rick Deckard said:
...the surface of Mars looks very 'Earth-like' - brown dirt and blue sky - NASA doesn't like that, so they make it all look a lot redder; more 'alien' and therefore *appearing* to be less likely to support life.

Once again, this is idiotic. Look at it with your own two eyes.

Rick Deckard said:
IMO, Mars is teeming with life of one form or another (probably simple plants and bacteria below the surface).

That's not an opinion, it's wishful thinking. You're just hoping.

Below the surface? Do you know how plants work?

fitzbew88 said:
Once again, this is idiotic. Look at it with your own two eyes.

Looks like brown dirt to me: Link 1 / Link 2 / Link 3

Ooh look here's a picture of Mars as seen through the Hubble telescope. Oh no, it's got a blue haze in the atmosphere, must be wrong. No, wait, the picture is from NASA. Must be a mistake. Link 4.

fitzbew88 said:
The failure of the gullible to understand this has caused NASA no end of grief.

The failure of the sheeple (like yourself) to ask questions of those with a monopoly on the data, has made NASA's job very easy.

fitzbew88 said:
Below the surface? Do you know how plants work?

Do you know how to read a sentence? Half of the biomass on Earth is bacteria and most of it (about 90%) is below the the surface.

To believe that there is NO life of ANY type on Mars truly is idiotic.

Rick Deckard said:
The failure of the sheeple to ask questions of those with a monopoly on the data, has made Nasa's job very easy.

Monopoly on the data? Virtually *all* of the data is available to you in one form or another. You are letting your conspiratorial delusions overrule your common sense.

Rick Deckard said:
Do you know how to read a sentence? Half of the biomass on Earth is bacteria and most of it (about 90%) is below the the surface.

Oh, so now you're saying the plants are on the surface. Yep, that's much more sensible. Good work. Yes, Mars is "teeming" with plant life on the surface.

READ A BOOK.

Rick Deckard said:
To believe that there is NO life of ANY type on Mars truly is idiotic.

Why? So far there has been no [solid] sign of it. In fact, it's more reasonable to say there is none than it is "teeming".

I'm *hopeful* that there is, even if it just turns out to be some lichen under a cliff face --- or even microbes --- but it's still plausible that there is nothing that we would consider life. (Assuming we could even agree on what life is.)

You're all wrong. It IS a stick, and it was left there by the Martian bigfoot. Surely you've heard of bigfoot and stick signs? ;)

Siani said:
You're all wrong. It IS a stick, and it was left there by the Martian bigfoot. Surely you've heard of bigfoot and stick signs? ;)

Something crossed my internet travels today that suggested it might be the parachute, but it still doesn't look right to me. I mean, it still doesn't look like a real object to me. (To me, it looks like an imaging artifact.)

Siani said:

I saw a pic on the net not long ago where some think it's of a bigfoot on Mars. I kid you not.

Rick Deckard said:
Looks like brown dirt to me: Link 1 / Link 2 / Link 3

Ooh look here's a picture of Mars as seen through the Hubble telescope. Oh no, it's got a blue haze in the atmosphere, must be wrong. No, wait, the picture is from NASA. Must be a mistake. Link 4.

This reminds me of an anecdote I read in a special effects magazine several years back. The FX guys at paramount were doing an episode of Star Trek Voyager that involved mars, so naturally they just used NASA shots of mars for the background plates. But on the first pass it was rejected by the higher-ups and came back with a note which read something like "Too brown, doesn't look mars-y enough" so in the end they wound up using plates of the moon and digitally tinted it a deep red colour.

Expectation and reality are two very different things.

Paranormal Packrat said:
I saw a pic on the net not long ago where some think it's of a bigfoot on Mars. I kid you not.

Yep, saw it too. That's why I think it's a bigfoot stick sign ;).

Seriously - it's probably light reflecting off a rock.

Rick Deckard said:

Dude, what in the fark are you talking about? What mistake? Blue haze? Do you think color filters aren't used by the HST digital imaging team?

We *know* the atmosphere can appear blue when some filters are applied. It can appear any color you want. I'm sure that sometimes it would look blue/bluish to a human eye from the ground, if circumstances are right.

But you didn't say that sometimes the atmosphere looks bluish -- you said it was "earth-like" and that NASA was covering it up.

Please please please think before you post. You're embarrassing me.

fitzbew88 said:
We *know* the atmosphere can appear blue when some filters are applied. It can appear any color you want.

Exactly - so why are you so sure that NASA are not manipulating the colour?

fitzbew88 said:
Please please please think before you post. You're embarrassing me.

You sound like someone in denial. You're embarrassing yourself by denying what is plainly obvious to everyone else who cares to see.

Rick Deckard said:
Exactly - so why are you so sure that NASA are not manipulating the colour?

SIGH. Of course they are manipulating the color. Probably every single image has had the color adjusted. The point is that they are not doing it to make Mars look less Earth-like --- like you said.

Rick Deckard said:
You sound like someone in denial. You're embarrassing yourself by denying what is plainly obvious to everyone else who cares to see.

I'm denying that Mars is Earth-like and "teeming" with life and that NASA is covering it up to make Mars seem less Earth-like. I'm denying it because I can see that it is wrong with my own eyes, using my own brain. I'm not just sitting around hoping that NASA is conspiring against me, because it would fuel my victim-complex.

I guess what I'm saying is: prove it or shut up. (I don't mean prove that colors in Mars imagery is adjusted -- any bonehead with a nickel's worth of astronomy training knows that.) Prove that Mars is earth-like and that NASA is covering it up.

If you can't, then you should consider apologizing to the tens of thousands of people who have dedicated their lives to understanding the Red Planet for all of our benefit, but still have to deal with the atrocities of accusations like yours.

Back