• NEW! LOWEST RATES EVER -- SUPPORT THE SHOW AND ENJOY THE VERY BEST PREMIUM PARACAST EXPERIENCE! Welcome to The Paracast+, eight years young! For a low subscription fee, you can download the ad-free version of The Paracast and the exclusive, member-only, After The Paracast bonus podcast, featuring color commentary, exclusive interviews, the continuation of interviews that began on the main episode of The Paracast. We also offer lifetime memberships! Flash! Take advantage of our lowest rates ever! Act now! It's easier than ever to susbcribe! You can sign up right here!

Subscribe to The Paracast Newsletter!

Paranormal debunking at it's best. Comparison of the H2 vs the Sony P520 recorder

Jeff Crowell

Paranormal Annoyance
Take a listen to the two files on my web page here. The files are listed under the section "Recent Investigation and Debunking Methods".
The first file was captured by my wife using a Sony digital recorder during a paranormal investigation at a local residence. She considered it a Class A EVP (heard without head-phones and was moderately clear in tone and cadence.) She asks a question and believes she heard a direct answer or reply. It was a premo catch...until I reviewed my own evidence. The second file, captured by myself with the Zoom H2, is what I recorded at the same time my wife did. You may need ear-phones for that one.

To my wife's credit it was a seemingly decent catch, and we both consider it good troubleshooting. It's also why it's very important to have 2 pieces of equipment recording at all times.
Thoughts? Suggestions?

I love Zoom recorders. We've used the H4 and the H2 isn't too far behind. The reason, in my opinion, people get EVP's is because they are using audio recording equipment which is riddled with compression, distortion and not fit for the purpose it is being used. The built in mics aren't designed for a broad spectrum of audio so fail when used as anything other than dictaphones.

Have you ever wondered why no one gets an EVP with professional recording equipment? We have literally hundreds of hours of audio on a Tascam digital with various production mics and no EVPs. Yet, we managed to scoop several with low end recording equipment much like the Sony P520.

If you stick with the Zoom, you'll find you will virtually get no EVPs and the ones you will get will have a logical explanation. That says a lot about the whole EVP phenomenon.

In the year-and-a-half of paranormal investigation and research my wife and I have been doing, we have caught some EVP that's defied explanation. I won't disregard it all...yet. However on David's (from this podcast) recommendation I went with the H2 and am, indeed, far more critical in my thinking when it comes to EVP. Of course my plan is to keep hammering away with it during our investigations and see if, indeed, I catch that ever-elusive, compelling evidence in stunning high-fidelity surround sound!!

Thanks for the input Jose! :D .

J.

I can't speak for the H2's effectiveness in paranormal research, but I do own the device and use it frequently for field recording of acoustic music. The fidelity of the recordings is impressive. I've had it capture aside conversations from performers that were so low as to be inaudible from ten feet away.

I can't speak for the H2's effectiveness in paranormal research, but I do own the device and use it frequently for field recording of acoustic music. The fidelity of the recordings is impressive. I've had it capture aside conversations from performers that were so low as to be inaudible from ten feet away.

The audio engineer we were working with was happy to put aside his heavy audio equipment when he saw how good the H4 was. I remember the first time I saw one. I was like "Dude, that looks like Darth Vader's vibrator".

Back