• NEW! LOWEST RATES EVER -- SUPPORT THE SHOW AND ENJOY THE VERY BEST PREMIUM PARACAST EXPERIENCE! Welcome to The Paracast+, eight years young! For a low subscription fee, you can download the ad-free version of The Paracast and the exclusive, member-only, After The Paracast bonus podcast, featuring color commentary, exclusive interviews, the continuation of interviews that began on the main episode of The Paracast. We also offer lifetime memberships! Flash! Take advantage of our lowest rates ever! Act now! It's easier than ever to susbcribe! You can sign up right here!

Subscribe to The Paracast Newsletter!

Our Recent Server Crashes

Gene Steinberg

Forum Super Hero
Staff member
As you know, we've been offline somewhat in the last couple of days. Our admin has traced this to a possible problem with MySQL, the database server we use for this forum and other content on our sites.

Hopefully this is the end of it, but if not, we trust it'll all be fixed real soon.

hey, you're up and running again aren't you? time to resolution of 2 days isn't too bad at all. I've seen a business loose 6 months worth of data :(

Good hosting! (You seem to have done a better job than the folks at journalspace :< )

EDIT: I just checked journalspace to see how their situation was going, and it seems they're reincarnated under new management, with the following post:

How are backups arranged ?
Well we all must learn from errors so Raid (disk mirroring on same server)
covers a harddisk crash but no strange loss of data.
NOW each night a backup is made from the server on another location.
This will assure you won’t loose your profile in case any Ufo’s will crash on
it ;)

:rolls eyes:

<hr style="color: rgb(209, 209, 225); background-color: rgb(209, 209, 225);" size="1"> <!-- / icon and title --> <!-- message --> hey, you're up and running again aren't you? time to resolution of 2 days isn't too bad at all. I've seen a business loose 6 months worth of data
This will assure you won’t loose your profile in case any Ufo’s will crash on it ;)
OK, OK, I KNOW I am setting myself up to be flamed, but gd it, I am saying it anyway.

loose = not tight, or a women with low morals, something like that

lose = to no longer possess something you did, to fail to keep

O.K.? [Stomps off]

Here's another update:

All functions seem to have returned. But we are using a temporary server as the replacement while our new server is being "prepped."

The next time, the forum will simply be turned off for a two or three hours, probably in the early morning hours, when we do the final step.

Wish us luck. Been a hairy week for us. :

Sheesh! Well, for the record, and to clarify, it wasn't me saying/spelling it, I was pasting from the journalspace website.

We backup. And backup. And also backup.
In my last job I was so paranoid about backups that I used RAID with dual controllerds, mirrored the servers, backed up to tape, to DVD, to a remote disk that was mapped in, and did this last 3 times a day. My tech would not back up anything to save his life. I should have fired his lazy ass, but he was so talented in Cisco and Linux that he was useful to have around.

OK, OK, I KNOW I am setting myself up to be flamed, but gd it, I am saying it anyway.

loose = not tight, or a women with low morals, something like that

lose = to no longer possess something you did, to fail to keep

O.K.? [Stomps off]

I really gite a kick out of this post! I had already quoted it, and two others on the way down through the readin, and in the end I could only thank of one thang that needed to be addressed... I double dawg dare you to go over to the site that that dude quoted, that journal place er whatever, and tell them EXACTLY what you originally told that dude!!! I would just enjoy the response. I gite a humorous one from Michale Horn today, but you'd have to be in on the histry of it to really understand the fun, so I wont tell it here. :D

Back