• NEW! LOWEST RATES EVER -- SUPPORT THE SHOW AND ENJOY THE VERY BEST PREMIUM PARACAST EXPERIENCE! Welcome to The Paracast+, eight years young! For a low subscription fee, you can download the ad-free version of The Paracast and the exclusive, member-only, After The Paracast bonus podcast, featuring color commentary, exclusive interviews, the continuation of interviews that began on the main episode of The Paracast. We also offer lifetime memberships! Flash! Take advantage of our lowest rates ever! Act now! It's easier than ever to susbcribe! You can sign up right here!

Subscribe to The Paracast Newsletter!

Our Recent Server Crashes

Server wouldn't be OSX based would it..........?

Sorry couldn't resist.
Here's the specifics:

It's a version of Linux, CentOS 5.2 (the open source version of Red Hat Enterprise).

The Linux kernel version of 2.6.27.15, and the control panel is WHM / cPanel.

We've considered Mac OS X Server, but it's confined to a single model line, which means a higher price. The server we do have uses two AMD quad-core processors, 16GB RAM, three 750GB drives and RAID 5.

Yes..Apple tend to charge a premium for their servers. Goodness, even their older models still attract a price premium despite age.

NB Dishing on the linux crowd isn't worth the world of pain that will follow.

It's not necessarily a premium for their servers. Apple charges a price that's competitive with what they offer, but your choice is limited to a single model with multiple configurations. Older models command a premium because they are rock solid. Not all the Web servers you lease or buy are as reliable.

Our main server (we have a backup by the way) is custom configured by 1and1 Internet at their home office (in Germany). Don't know if that's significant, but that's what they do.

When I win the lottery, I'll buy you guys a secret base and a new server.

I've seen PC's with less problems after they've been dropped out of a moving car.

At any rate, my rant is over. Wish me well on Wednesday. I plan to talk to my future self, and get the winning power ball numbers from him.

Our main server (we have a backup by the way) is custom configured by 1and1 Internet at their home office (in Germany). Don't know if that's significant, but that's what they do.

Germans!!!
I knew they would have to have a hand in it somehow. They always do.

Yeah, but the Opels make up for those and there are more of them. And just for the record, you have not lived until you have been passed by a BMW doing 150 MPH on the Autobahn.
I'd prefer to do the passing. :D

My first car, long ago, was an Opel, imported to the U.S. by the Buick division of GM. It was a decent car, though VW supplanted it in this country pretty quickly.

Years later, I tried the dreaded Cadillac Catera, a rebadged Opel, and it was a horror show.

Yes, I've driven BMWs rather extensively, and they are the best Germany offers.

Back