• NEW! LOWEST RATES EVER -- SUPPORT THE SHOW AND ENJOY THE VERY BEST PREMIUM PARACAST EXPERIENCE! Welcome to The Paracast+, eight years young! For a low subscription fee, you can download the ad-free version of The Paracast and the exclusive, member-only, After The Paracast bonus podcast, featuring color commentary, exclusive interviews, the continuation of interviews that began on the main episode of The Paracast. We also offer lifetime memberships! Flash! Take advantage of our lowest rates ever! Act now! It's easier than ever to susbcribe! You can sign up right here!

Subscribe to The Paracast Newsletter!

Orson Welles' War of the Worlds

Bobb999

Paranormal Novice
The April 18/10 show talked about Welles' famous 1938 Broadcast of a dramatization of H.G. Welles' novel. Everyone on the Paracast round table who commented seemed to accept the commonly held belief that the broadcast caused widespread panic in the streets of America, with people in fear that Martians were attacking!

But I'm skeptical the mass panic ever occurred. I read an investigative article some years back that concluded the "mass panic" story was in fact an invention of some mischievous journalists. Of course, the story got picked up and printed far & wide, and repeated.

There are many reasons why it doesn't add up. The broadcast was on a Friday night, and was a regular weekly broadcast. There had already been weeks in a series of weekly Friday Welles' Mercury Theatre 1-hour broadcasts of dramatizations of famous novels. Listeners were used to hearing Welles each Friday introduce that weeks' dramatization & then hear him play a part in it as an actor. There was no surprise that particular Friday.

So, most people hearing the show heard the intro at the beginning, with Welles' familiar voice, that that week's drama was the novel The War of the Worlds, , and they also heard Welles' recognizable voice as a main actor in the drama.

It's true the early part of the show sounds almost like a real-time unfoldment of events - but not for long - because very soon listeners are hit by jumps in time that can only happen in fiction!
For instance, a reporter is heard reporting that a Martian death-ray machine has risen up and has just begun firing at people...But the next second has a time-jump and you hear a reporter reporting on the total tally of dead (100s) after the mayhem had ended, and they've already had time to evaluate the carnage! The last half+ of the show does not even have any real-time unfoldment effect, & sounds like a fictional story being told. And anyway, Welles' distinctive actor's voice (he plays a professor) is heard during the part of the show that briefly sounds "real-time".
That in itself was a dead giveaway it was radio fiction, not fact!

If you listen to the show (available at You Tube), there's no evidence Welles' ever intended to fool anyone, or that many, if any, could have been fooled.
I never saw or heard a first hand report from a citizen who claimed to have actually witnessed spontaneous militias gathered in the streets that Friday night, wielding shotguns & pitchforks to use against attacking Martians! Sure, there may have been a few senile folks who called the police, but widespread panic? Only in the fertile imaginations of a few mischievous reporters, perhaps! Maybe Welles`even went along with the tall tale about the "panic", because it was great publicity for him! So why deny it?

---------- Post added at 08:23 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:11 PM ----------

oops...typo...I should have spelled H.G.'s surname "Wells", not "Welles", like Orson's!

I recall reading that article or a similar one. One interesting thing the investigation turned up was a complete lack of news stories from the following days describing the "chaos." I believe it was suggested at the end of the piece that the "legend" was the work of studio promotions. It is not difficult to imagine Wells playing along or even adding to the myth. If it was a myth. I've tried to recall where I saw that report, and once even set sail on Google looking for it, but got distracted by some sirens or something and never found it. I do also recall a story in Parade back in the 70s that featured some stories of people shooting at the local water tower during the "attack," and it seems like they named the dummies. Who knows about Parade? Not my idea of a reliable journal.

Regardless of the actual effects of the notorious broadcast, I have long felt the powers-that-be using it as an excuse for keeping important things secret is about as bogus as it could be. We are not talking about a nation of ignorant, trigger happy hillbillies who would all feel threatened by a profound revelation. Well, sometimes when I watch Faux News, I have to wonder...

I have also heard the alternate story that there was no panic during the War of the Worlds radio broadcast. Budd Hopkins writes about the event as a boy in LIFE, ART & UFO's where he describes fear gripping his family home.

THis seems like an easy one to research (I have not done any research). Maybe the "real" story simply involves a multitude of nervous calls to the police, and not much more.

Also - Here's a relevant story from 19 days ago:

LINK:
BBC News - 'Alien invasion' April Fools' story angers Jordan mayor

Alien invasion' April Fools' story angers Jordan mayor

A Jordanian mayor is considering suing a newspaper over an April Fools' Day report saying aliens had landed nearby.

Al-Ghad's front-page story on 1 April said flying saucers flown by 3m (10ft) creatures had landed in the desert town of Jafr, in eastern Jordan.

It said communication networks went down and frightened townspeople fled into the streets.

The mayor, Mohammed Mleihan, said parents were so frightened they did not send their children to school that day.

"Students didn't go to school, their parents were frightened and I almost evacuated the town's 13,000 residents," Mr Mleihan told the Associated Press.

"People were scared that aliens would attack them."

He immediately notified the security authorities, who he said combed the area looking for the aliens. They did not find any.

Good, I'm glad others too recall reading alternate accounts, corroborating my memory, of the '38 The War of the Worlds broadcast, that suggested the real hoax was the "mass panic" hoax. It's interesting Budd Hopkins apparently recalls hearing the original broadcast and remembers fear gripping his family. But was that 'cause it's a scary tale, or 'cause they were fooled into believing it was fact?

Good, I'm glad others too recall reading alternate accounts, corroborating my memory, of the '38 The War of the Worlds broadcast, that suggested the real hoax was the "mass panic" hoax. It's interesting Budd Hopkins apparently recalls hearing the original broadcast and remembers fear gripping his family. But was that 'cause it's a scary tale, or 'cause they were fooled into believing it was fact?

Perhaps Budd Hopkins' family was the only family that panicked over the broadcast. I wouldn't be a bit surprised when you consider the alien abduction scenarios that Budd has come up with since then. Of course, the other unspoken question is: did Budd just make this up because it is another good yarn?

The program was deliberately constructed to fool people. Welles was an old magician so this whole episode was right up his alley. Of course, up front it was clearly stated that the show was a dramatization but the real action was timed to begin with the first commercial break in the hugely popular Bergen/McCarthy show and, yes people channel surfed back then.

No question the reaction was hyped but there is plenty of documented over-reaction.

http://www.war-of-the-worlds.org/Radio/Newspapers/Oct31/NYT.html

This article, within the Skeptical Inquirer, seems to support the suggestion that the 'panic' has been at least ,exaggerated : link

I don't know about 'wide spread' panic, but I've heard 2 personal accounts of that night of people gathering somewhere "against the martians." These are first-hand witnesses from people who were children at the time, and one account four families gathered in a basement and another where people gathered at a community center. I don't know how many people were at the center. I've talked to 3 other people who, second hand, heard of things like the massing of firearms and vehicles, but these weren't people who were even alive at the time so those reports are questionable.

From my own (limited) time looking into the War of the Worlds fallout, it looks more like "pockets of panic" instead of wide-spread panic implied in the news reports. From what I've heard, there was an affect, but the scope of that affect is in question, for me.

Back