• NEW! LOWEST RATES EVER -- SUPPORT THE SHOW AND ENJOY THE VERY BEST PREMIUM PARACAST EXPERIENCE! Welcome to The Paracast+, eight years young! For a low subscription fee, you can download the ad-free version of The Paracast and the exclusive, member-only, After The Paracast bonus podcast, featuring color commentary, exclusive interviews, the continuation of interviews that began on the main episode of The Paracast. We also offer lifetime memberships! Flash! Take advantage of our lowest rates ever! Act now! It's easier than ever to susbcribe! You can sign up right here!

Subscribe to The Paracast Newsletter!

October 31 - Adam Gorightly

This was the first time I have heard Adam Gorightly interviewed. To me he came across as a very polite and funny man, I really enjoyed the show.
I respect the fact that he stated that what he was saying was based on his own belief system and not "gospel".

One thing I noticed is when talking about the Tehran ufo he did not hammer home the point that, only when the pilots had "Lock on" did the ufo allegedly temporarily knock out the electronics of the F-4 Phantoms. It is my understanding that they (F-4's) were armed with "AIM-9 sidewinder anti aircraft missiles" which relied on the onboard computer to guide them to the target. In other words only when the ufo was threatened did it react, meaning that there was "interaction" between the ufo and the Aircraft.
It is common knowledge that we have Electronic Weapons like EMP but what is fascinating about this case is that the effects where only "temporary" unlike the EMP we have, which basically destroys the electronics it targets.

Having said all that, it did make me laugh when he said that if you asked people 25 years ago if they were worried about 2012 they would not be, but now in 2010 they are. All I can say about that is thats logical because its closer :) I personaly wont be buying into the end of the world as we know it scenario.
I do however agree, that the Earth is not treated the way it should be by Humans, I just dont think that we are going to get "outside" help.

It would be interesting to have him since he is a big deal on the GCN. You would probably have a huge surge in listener-ship, too bad many of them would be people that buy into his ridiculous theories.

Could you list a few of those ridiculous theories?

Wow, what a great show!

This show has given me the courage to make myself available as a Paracast guest. I see fairies at the foot of my garden. I have tons of evidence including some (admittedly blurry) photos and some excellent EVPs. You really need to hear the fairie EVPs to believe them: they sound like angels on helium. When I first teased the sounds out of some raw recordings, I could feel the blood drain from my face and I nearly had an out-of-body experience! Here at last was proof positive of the paranormal! I rushed to show my neighbor (name withheld) and he agrees. He has also seen the fairies. So has my other neighbor. I'm not sure I'd believe this stuff myself if it weren't for the corroborating testimony of my neighbors, as well as the vast literature on garden fairies. Sure, there have been some hoaxes, but there is a residual 10% of fairy sightings which remain unexplained.

I have collected some mysterious dust from the site and am currently having it analyzed in a real laboratory. I have also taken and passed at least one polygraph test and am willing to take additional tests. I am currently writing a book which will blow the lid off the whole garden fairy conspiracy, including interesting speculations on what our government knows and why they won't tell us. There is ample evidence that the government has lied to us in the past and that's enough evidence for me to know that they're lying about garden fairies too. I am withholding some information about 2012 which was revealed to me in the fairy EVPs: you'll have to buy the book to find out that blockbuster information!

Besides the Paracast, I am available as a paid speaker for paranormal conferences, exopolitics events and can also lead the singing at tent revivals.

LOL!!

And that sums up the field of paranormal investigation in a nice little package. Not that I'm being hypocritical, here. After all, I am a willing participant in that field.

And that sums up the field of paranormal investigation in a nice little package. Not that I'm being hypocritical, here. After all, I am a willing participant in that field.

As I often say in cases like this: if he's joking it's funny, if he's serious it's HYSTERICAL.

I chalk Adam up as one of those fringe entertainers who has very little to do with genuine research into the "who/how/why" questions of the paranormal field. Adam and his ilk (and I say that in a pleasant way, not derogatory), focus on the entertaining, almost science fiction aspect of the entire prospect of UFO's. It's fun and entertaining, but has no affect in the actual research itself.

It's been said many times before but here's my own little input. The concept of taking psychedelic drugs to induce a paranormal experience, to a dedicated researcher, is ludicrous. Yes, I know I'm going against the opinion of a well-known, former co-host of the show but in this I respectfully disagree with dB. It's my strong believe that you should be of complete sound mind and body when investigating the paranormal in regards to having an experience for the purpose of answers. I would lay a month's wages that if a third party would have been with Adam and his friend that night, a third party who had a clean blood stream free of such influences, that third party would NOT have had the same experiences as the two under-the-influence'ed.

Shared hallucinations or even shared delusions are a well-known and documented psychological effect, even outside the presence of a psychological or emotional disability. Add to that the always powerful power of suggestion of "Wouldn't it be cool if we saw a UFO?" and the preconception of the situation is laid in the ground. Based on that alone I file Adam under the "entertainment" tab. That's not a bad thing. I think we need to have a good time, sometimes, in our research as long as the fun-poking isn't insulting. Over all, I enjoyed the episode in context of entertainment in a "Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtle" sort of way.

Peace.

People take psychedelics and other mind-altering substances as a shortcut to what should, theoretically, be attainable via meditation. I understand the intent and the results from various points and view and personal experiences, but I'd be the last one to suggest that what you see and hear is real. But it does acquaint you with not just the frontiers of reality, but on alternate states, and I'm largely sympathetic with dB's position.

How that relates to what we perceive as the "real world" is another matter entirely. I also realize most of our listeners would probably prefer a more mundane approach.

The problem I have with so called "shared" hallucinations is that it's just not (I have studied a little) a viable theory. It's a "catch all" like "swamp gas" and ball lightening and the planet Venus. Not that I'm taking up for Adam G. I didn't listen to the show. I'm not real big on it from what I've read on the forums about it. It's just that "believers" are gullible but so are "skeptics" whatever "theory" supports the ole worldview is "right" or "scientific" :rolleyes:

The problem I have with so called "shared" hallucinations is that it's just not (I have studied a little) a viable theory. It's a "catch all" like "swamp gas" and ball lightening and the planet Venus. Not that I'm taking up for Adam G. I didn't listen to the show. I'm not real big on it from what I've read on the forums about it. It's just that "believers" are gullible but so are "skeptics" whatever "theory" supports the ole worldview is "right" or "scientific" :rolleyes:

I agree that believers and skeptics alike have their 'go-to' explanations, believe me, but I have to sincerely disagree with you, Tyder, on the question of shared hallucinations (and delusions). I, too, have studied "a little" in psychology and abnormal (psychopathogenic) psychology and have seen extensive research in what is commonly referred to as 'power of suggestion' and shared experiences by people (usually couples, very very rarely more than two) where one or both are in a sensitively diminished state. By sensitively diminished, I'm referring to either an actually psychological disorder or under the influence of a mind-altering drug. It's interesting because studies have been conducted and shown where a care-taker of someone with a delusional disorder will, indeed, start to share in some of the delusions of the patient.

In Adam's situation, as I pointed out in my last post, he and his friend were both primed, cocked, and readied to see UFO's, but from their own desires and the psychedelic drugs they were on. All it takes is for one of them to say, "Whoah, do you see that flying saucer???" and 'pop', the illusion (or hallucination) of a flying saucer appears, readily, in the others perception. This is no different than a hypnotist leading a patient, or an interviewer leading a witness, down the path they have a preconceived notion of, though such may be a more subtle guidance. It's still all "in the head", however, seeded by one into anothers thought and belief.

To address your concerns of a "basket", however, in which you may believe I'm putting Adam's experience in the basket of a shared hallucination that I clump all such encounters in, again I would have to state that you are incorrect. Shared hallucinations or "suggested" delusions rarely, if ever, go beyond two individuals from what I've studied. Add a third and the hallucination 'chain' breaks pretty fast and easy, perhaps due to a shared or group mentality of keeping things in check. That's why when you have a UFO encounter (or paranormal experience) in which there are more than two witnesses, it lends a greater air of credibility just by that very nature.

Still, you should go back and listen to the show, Tyder. It was an interesting, if entertaining, one.

J.

---------- Post added at 11:01 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:53 PM ----------

People take psychedelics and other mind-altering substances as a shortcut to what should, theoretically, be attainable via meditation. I understand the intent and the results from various points and view and personal experiences, but I'd be the last one to suggest that what you see and hear is real. But it does acquaint you with not just the frontiers of reality, but on alternate states, and I'm largely sympathetic with dB's position.

How that relates to what we perceive as the "real world" is another matter entirely. I also realize most of our listeners would probably prefer a more mundane approach.

I am curious as to the experience. I'm so caught up in the critical thinking sometimes that if I were to become under the influence and actually experience something it would be quite shocking. Then again, I've little doubt that I would understand after the experience that it was influenced and not real. It's like watching Paranormal Activity (and 2); I've spent so many hours pouring over video and seeing nothing at all happening from an investigation, there's something strongly appealing to actually SEE something occur while watching an IR cam scene for a few minutes. It get's your heart pumping.

I've not seen any studies (though they may be out there) regarding perception levels of people under the influence of psychedelic drugs. Still, organs such as the human eye, ear, skin, etc... have their limits. For instance, taking such a substance would not suddenly grant one the ability to see into the IR wavelength of the light spectrum, nor would you suddenly be able to feel colors if your skin/nerves were not wired that way regardless of what you believe while under the influence. Such would indicate that any experiences you had under the influence would be purely mental and individual...experiences driven solely by the mind-altering drug you've taken and not from an external (paranormal) source.

My 2 cents.

I stand corrected.

In a recent email exchange with dB, he clarified that he does NOT condone taking mind-altering or psychedelic drugs for the purposes of experiencing paranormal phenomena. It seems I had mis-understood some of his previous comments on the PC and he (rightfully) pointed that out to me. In fact he agreed that the only true way to be sure an experience is paranormal in nature is if you are of sound mind and body during the experience. Of course, multiple witnesses also of sound mind and body having the same experience always helps, too!

I apologize, sincerely, for the mis-representation of the former co-host.

Peace!

J.

I've never taken psychedelics so I have no opinion on that.

I am a little wary of privileging 'normal' consciousness as somehow being the 'truest' mental state. It's probably the state that's optimal for survival (and I'm sure was heavily selected for), but you could make a case that meditation and even music, poetry, etc. induce altered states that people also find useful. It depends what you're after.

Back