• NEW! LOWEST RATES EVER -- SUPPORT THE SHOW AND ENJOY THE VERY BEST PREMIUM PARACAST EXPERIENCE! Welcome to The Paracast+, eight years young! For a low subscription fee, you can download the ad-free version of The Paracast and the exclusive, member-only, After The Paracast bonus podcast, featuring color commentary, exclusive interviews, the continuation of interviews that began on the main episode of The Paracast. We also offer lifetime memberships! Flash! Take advantage of our lowest rates ever! Act now! It's easier than ever to susbcribe! You can sign up right here!

Subscribe to The Paracast Newsletter!

October 15, 2017 — Dr. Scott Kolbaba with Paul Kimball

Tougher questions ... lol ... like what? The closest he got to any tough questions was mine, Kolbaba's answer was a complete dodge, and Kimball never called him on it.

Well, Randall, the particular question I was thinking of was Paul's question of why there is any evil in the world at all, if there is some sort of Overseer who occasionally rescues humans from sickness or tragedy. That is an enigma that does not lend itself to easy answer.

On the other hand, the question that I believe was yours, related to no scientific proof of afterlife . . . I think the doctor was clear that he and his professional medical colleagues are not theologians trying to make a case. They are "sappy do-gooders" wanting to heal people, and when they, as educated people, encounter evidence of an unexpected salvation, or healing, it causes them to consider an external influence. I can identify.

IMHO there is purposely very little of the so-called "objective" evidence that you demand (and one should note that even "objective" evidence is always filtered by the "subjective" person observing). So, the issues raised in this show may be more strongly tied to evidence that would be considered "subjective." Subjective evidence is not obviously false or useless, it is simply in a different category than what is called "objective" evidence. Philosophers have argued whether or not "objectivity" is merely collective "subjectivity." I think there is an inseparable union between the so-called "objective" and the so-called "subjective" and both are to be used together to make sense of reality. So, again, I appreciated the show.

So Ghost Cases w/ Paul made me have a mini nightmare about 2 hrs ago. I got my kids off to school, got on my laptop while laying in bed, and started to watch the episode of Ghost Cases where they go to the McCall farm. I started dozing half way thru (not because I was bored - just tired). Well I ended up falling deep asleep. Next thing I know is I am having a vivid dream - I take it because the episode is still playing and I'm hearing it - but I am asleep. So...

In the dream I'm with Paul in a giant old house. 3 things happened in rapid succession. 1) Paul & I walk in a room that is separated by like a semi transparent sheet hanging from the ceiling - where behind the sheet is a light fixture hanging from the ceiling. The light bulb that is screwed in is that of a brilliant blue. So when we enter the room we see this bright blue light start swaying back and forth as if someone just struck it with their head/part of their body (even though there was nobody there - so I assumed it was a ghost). 2) Paul went to the bathroom but the door that opened was a hidden door - so the entire wall swung open slowly (like in the old movies where there was a secret passage kinda and the entire wall moves) 3) As Paul was in the restroom (I was scared to be by myself in the house), I went around the corner and in this long room there were various random objects. About 20 feet away laying in the middle of the floor was a long belt (like for your pants). As I am staring at the belt, the end that has the buckle on it rises up just like a cobra snake would rise its head - and it started slithering towards me. Where I pick up a fireplace poker (which was next to me in the stand that they are typically in) and start swinging wildly at the belt. Well I guess I really swung my hand at one point because when I felt my right hand hit my laptop - I realized I was dreaming. About a minute later is when I opened my eyes and got a minor laugh out of the thing.

This has happened to me before over the years. Say I fall asleep with the TV on - and at 1am Saving Private Ryan comes on. Well I would end up dreaming that I am fighting in a war. I've got a ton of examples of this and I'm sure it happens to a lot of us.

So at some point today when I get a chance, I'll see how the McCall farm shakes out. But from what I saw, it seemed like a great episode :)

So Ghost Cases w/ Paul made me have a mini nightmare about 2 hrs ago. I got my kids off to school, got on my laptop while laying in bed, and started to watch the episode of Ghost Cases where they go to the McCall farm. I started dozing half way thru (not because I was bored - just tired). Well I ended up falling deep asleep. Next thing I know is I am having a vivid dream - I take it because the episode is still playing and I'm hearing it - but I am asleep. So...

In the dream I'm with Paul in a giant old house. 3 things happened in rapid succession. 1) Paul & I walk in a room that is separated by like a semi transparent sheet hanging from the ceiling - where behind the sheet is a light fixture hanging from the ceiling. The light bulb that is screwed in is that of a brilliant blue. So when we enter the room we see this bright blue light start swaying back and forth as if someone just struck it with their head/part of their body (even though there was nobody there - so I assumed it was a ghost). 2) Paul went to the bathroom but the door that opened was a hidden door - so the entire wall swung open slowly (like in the old movies where there was a secret passage kinda and the entire wall moves) 3) As Paul was in the restroom (I was scared to be by myself in the house), I went around the corner and in this long room there were various random objects. About 20 feet away laying in the middle of the floor was a long belt (like for your pants). As I am staring at the belt, the end that has the buckle on it rises up just like a cobra snake would rise its head - and it started slithering towards me. Where I pick up a fireplace poker (which was next to me in the stand that they are typically in) and start swinging wildly at the belt. Well I guess I really swung my hand at one point because when I felt my right hand hit my laptop - I realized I was dreaming. About a minute later is when I opened my eyes and got a minor laugh out of the thing.

This has happened to me before over the years. Say I fall asleep with the TV on - and at 1am Saving Private Ryan comes on. Well I would end up dreaming that I am fighting in a war. I've got a ton of examples of this and I'm sure it happens to a lot of us.

So at some point today when I get a chance, I'll see how the McCall farm shakes out. But from what I saw, it seemed like a great episode :)

Here's what my takeaway from this was... KIMBALL IS SO DREAMY!

You guys made my day by briefly discussing my question about viewing Plan 9 in B&W or color. And I concur (- esp. for Plan 9) Also, for it's worth (and you're proll already aware) but the U.S. military's standard date format is day/month/year - as in 15 OCT 2017.

And I 100% agree with how CGI is garbage. Always have, always will look like a video game (CGI). The original Star Wars looks 1000% more believable then the prequels because practical effects were used. Though a scale model - a star destroyer looked real because it WAS a real, physical thing. CGI looks as fake as Ed Woods flying saucers wobbling on fishing line.
'original B&W is the way to go '
Why is that ? As far as i know , the world was coloured in 1959 .

'original B&W is the way to go '
Why is that ? As far as i know , the world was coloured in 1959 .

I've created films in both black and white and in colour, and the way you light, and create set design, and frame shots, and make-up actors, and just about everything for black and white and the way you do it for colour is vastly different. They really are two different types of films, and if you colourize a black and white film, you ruin the aesthetic that the director was working with and designed things for. If you're watching a colourized version of a black and white film and enjoy it, then that's fine, but you're not watching the film that the director and his cast and crew made, you're watching something that some technician today rejiggered.

The point is, people who experience UFOs often experience all the other so-called paranormal events like ghosts and other bizarre situations. Did one cause the other or is it all unconnected? So the same people who see a UFO just happen to also experience ghosts, poltergeist activity, communication from the dead, orbs, even possession?
I suppose it depends on what you mean by “often.” Do more ufo witnesses report ghost sightings than non-ufo witnesses? If so, how many more - is it statistically significant?

And as I said before, correlation doesn’t imply causation:
From personal experience I’ve seen that some people are interested in their unusual experiences, so they remember them and talk about them, while other people could care less about such things and forget about them fairly quickly. So any connection could be “correlation” rather than “causation.”
I’ve had a fairly dramatic multiple witness sighting, and I’ve never seen a ghost or demons or whatever. And I’ve known plenty of other people who have had anomalous ufo-style sightings, but who haven’t discussed other types of paranormal experiences. And I’ve also known a lot of people who have had ghost sightings, who have never had a ufo sighting. So I don’t even see a correlation, let alone a causal connection. With any sufficiently large data set, there are going to be people with overlap into both areas. I’d like to see a statistical analysis before I’d conclude that there’s any kind of meaningful connection here: do you have a link to one?

This connection has been noted for decades but squelched by nuts & bolts folks like Budd Hopkins and David Jacobs. Why? Because all the bizarre experiences tend to muddy the water of a logical nuts & bolts explanation. Carol Rainer (no matter what you may think of her motives) revealed how often Budd Hopkins simply threw out any paranormal experiences from his client files.
Or maybe he just thought that there was no meaningful correlation. We could say, for example, that 90% of ufo witnesses have seen an eclipse. Does that mean that seeing an eclipse causes people to have ufo sightings? Of course not.

As someone who has seen UFOS often, even at close range, and had abduction experiences until I seem to have passed my Sell By date (thank god), I can affirm that paranormal experiences of all sorts came along with the UFO/abduction experiences.
If you've seen UFOs often, have you ever managed to get a photo?

In any case, your personal experience is only one data point; you seem to be projecting your anomalous personal pattern of experience onto others. Like I said, I’ve had a dramatic sighting myself, and I’ve never had any ghost or demon or orb experiences, and I live in a building where lots of people have reported ghost sightings. Most of the ufo witnesses I’ve met haven’t had any ghost sightings to report, so I don’t see the connection. If you believe that there is one, then show us some evidence supporting that hypothesis.

Life is not as simple as you seem to think it is.
Simple? You’re the one trying to explain everything from ufos and abductions to ghosts and demons and orbs, with a single explanation. I think that’s unfounded. I favor the complexity approach, as I stated before:

Life is complex, and the universe is vast and almost entirely unexplored. All kinds of exotic and unrelated phenomena are possible. I think we’re likely to be led astray if we try to put all of these different possibilities into a single basket.

I asked the question on another thread (speaking of trace evidence); Whatever happened to Ted Phillips? I thought at one point he & trace evidence was going to be ufology's best chance at cracking the UFO code. But it seems like himself and his 1000's of cases vanished into thin air?
I only vaguely remember hearing about that, back in the old Art Bell days, iirc. Perhaps Chris O'Brien knows what happened to Ted Phillips' alleged evidence - he seems to be on top of all kinds of details like that (honestly it kind of blows my mind, all of the stuff he knows about this subject).

Hey - I just did a quick search and found this recent video of Ted Phillips giving a 75min talk at a MUFON meeting:

Last edited:
To be fair, there are those who would say "nightmarish." ;)
I concur. I was on some other sites (which will remain nameless) and it was an entire episode with Paul. Jesus....the comments people left about what a "fraud" and "fake" Paul is and blah blah blah. They were genuinely pissed at him (and saying a lot of immature, nasty things I wont repeat). I chimed in my two cents but then they all ganged up on me. They reminded me of ANTIFA the way they were acting. All because someone is level headed, can think critically and doesn't just accept every ancient, pop culture UFO case there is? Wow. It wasn't just Paul too - they ganged up on Karl Pflock as well...:mad:

I suppose it depends on what you mean by “often.” Do more ufo witnesses report ghost sightings than non-ufo witnesses? If so, how many more - is it statistically significant?

And as I said before, correlation doesn’t imply causation:

I’ve had a fairly dramatic multiple witness sighting, and I’ve never seen a ghost or demons or whatever. And I’ve known plenty of other people who have had anomalous ufo-style sightings, but who haven’t discussed other types of paranormal experiences. And I’ve also known a lot of people who have had ghost sightings, who have never had a ufo sighting. So I don’t even see a correlation, let alone a causal connection. With any sufficiently large data set, there are going to be people with overlap into both areas. I’d like to see a statistical analysis before I’d conclude that there’s any kind of meaningful connection here: do you have a link to one?

Or maybe he just thought that there was no meaningful correlation. We could say, for example, that 90% of ufo witnesses have seen an eclipse. Does that mean that seeing an eclipse causes people to have ufo sightings? Of course not.

If you've seen UFOs often, have you ever managed to get a photo?

In any case, your personal experience is only one data point; you seem to be projecting your anomalous personal pattern of experience onto others. Like I said, I’ve had a dramatic sighting myself, and I’ve never had any ghost or demon or orb experiences, and I live in a building where lots of people have reported ghost sightings. Most of the ufo witnesses I’ve met haven’t had any ghost sightings to report, so I don’t see the connection. If you believe that there is one, then show us some evidence supporting that hypothesis.

Simple? You’re the one trying to explain everything from ufos and abductions to ghosts and demons and orbs, with a single explanation. I think that’s unfounded. I favor the complexity approach, as I stated before:

I only vaguely remember hearing about that, back in the old Art Bell days, iirc. Perhaps Chris O'Brien knows what happened to Ted Phillips' alleged evidence - he seems to be on top of all kinds of details like that (honestly it kind of blows my mind, all of the stuff he knows about this subject).

Hey - I just did a quick search and found this recent video of Ted Phillips giving a 75min talk at a MUFON meeting:

Thanks for sharing!

When a person claims they have had a really good, dramatic multi-witness UFO sighting, and then says definitively "it was space aliens," to me they are no different than a group of people who see some sort of ghostly figure and definitively conclude that it was a dead person coming back from the great beyond, or a demon, or whatever. If we want to be believers, that's fine, but if we want to be rational and open-minded we shouldn't be afraid to admit (a) we just don't know, and (b) it's possible that the ghost folks were interacting with space aliens, and it's possible the UFO folks were seeing an image generated by a demon. Or that they were all interacting with the same entity, whatever that is. And trying to say one of these possibilities is somehow more likely than the other again seems foolish to me. Yes, there are a lot of planets out there in a very large galaxy, but they're also so far away - even the closest ones - that we often can't really comprehend the distance or just how difficult it would be to get from there to here (and I know nobody wants to hear it, but there's also the possibility that we are in fact the most advanced form of biological life out there). And yes, there may be life after death, or demons, or a Trickster (memes and stories that have been around since the beginning of human history), but we can't say for sure - not anywhere close to sure. So in the end, we're left with stories and speculation, and a lot of "what ifs" and "maybes". In that situation, anyone asserting anything as being proven has placed the cart so far beyond the horse that we can't even see the cart anymore. In other words, none of us can know what we saw or experienced.

Last edited:
When a person claims they have had a really good, dramatic multi-witness UFO sighting, and then says definitively "it was space aliens"
Here we go again: another ardent cynic putting fake words in my mouth to defeat a straw man argument that I’ve never made.

I’ve never definitively said anything even remotely like that. In fact I’ve bent over backwards to make it perfectly clear that I accept the ETH as what it is: a hypothesis. And if the weight of the available evidence changes, then my choice of explanatory hypothesis will probably also change:

I think the ETH is internally consistent and supported by many lines of evidence and reasoning, so I favor it as an explanation for the types of sightings that most interest me. But I have no emotional or psychological investment in it. If the Air Force releases declassified footage of an experimental aircraft from the 1950s that can levitate and make extreme and virtually instantaneous accelerations at thousands of miles per hour, then I’ll probably throw the ETH out the window without a moment’s hesitation.

(a) we just don't know
Of course we don’t know. I’ve lost count of how many times I’ve said -this week alone- that the available evidence doesn’t meet the scientific burden of proof. Which is why I advocate an earnest, impartial, scientific investigation of this subject.

and (b) it's possible that the ghost folks were interacting with space aliens, and it's possible the UFO folks were seeing an image generated by a demon.
Okay, sure, anything is possible. It’s possible that we’re all disembodied brains floating in tanks right now, participating in some kind of experimental simulacrum for purposes far beyond our comprehension. But I’d like to see any reasonable indication of that hypothesis before I take it seriously.

there are a lot of planets out there in a very large galaxy, but they're also so far away - even the closest ones - that we often can't really comprehend the distance or just how difficult it would be to get from there to here
Distance is relative. Back in the days of ancient Athens, Cairo was “far away.” Only 500 years ago, crossing the Atlantic was a huge deal. Now we’ve been to the Moon and sent probes far past Pluto. Are you seeing a pattern here? In time, following this developmental pattern, human technology will help us traverse the distance to the stars as easily as we take an airliner to NYC today. Our best theoretical physics model tells us that it’s possible.

And to date, everything that’s been shown to be theoretically possible has proven to be technologically inevitable. Heck, Einstein thought that gravitational waves would be so faint that humans would never be able to detect them – a hundred years later, they’re on the front page of the newspaper.

Extending today’s technological limitations to tomorrow’s civilization is beyond foolish – it’s refuted by all of the available facts and logic at our disposal. The only valid consideration is whether we humans will continue to progress long enough to see it happen, or if we’ll bounce ourselves back to the Stone Age before we can expand our civilization to another nice warm planet around a nearby star.

(and I know nobody wants to hear it, but there's also the possibility that we are in fact the most advanced form of biological life out there).
Sure – that’s still possible. But that argument has never been more vastly improbable than it is today. Here’s what astronomers are now saying about the prevalence of technological species in the observable universe:

“By applying the new exoplanet data to the universe's 2 x 10 to the 22nd power stars, Frank and Sullivan find that human civilization is likely to be unique in the cosmos only if the odds of a civilization developing on a habitable planet are less than about one in 10 billion trillion, or one part in 10 to the 22th power.

‘One in 10 billion trillion is incredibly small,’ says Frank. ‘To me, this implies that other intelligent, technology producing species very likely have evolved before us. Think of it this way. Before our result you'd be considered a pessimist if you imagined the probability of evolving a civilization on a habitable planet were, say, one in a trillion. But even that guess, one chance in a trillion, implies that what has happened here on Earth with humanity has in fact happened about a 10 billion other times over cosmic history’”
https://phys.org/news/2016-04-limits-uniqueness.html

“A New Empirical Constraint on the Prevalence of Technological Species in the Universe,” A. Frank & W. T. Sullivan III, Astrobiology, 2016
https://arxiv.org/ftp/arxiv/papers/1510/1510.08837.pdf

Last edited:
Here's how I kicked warm banana bread up a notch and gained an unwanted 2 extra inches. Warning! You take the banana bread ( which BTW is fab with butter too ) but instead of butter, you heat up a slice in a bowl, then add a generous scoop of Häagen-Dazs Pineapple Coconut ice cream on top, pour a couple of oz. of real cream, over that, along with a real Maple Syrup drizzle ( Note: Apparently The Drizzle is the super hero of the food world ).

Oh great! Now that you have revealed your recipe publicly, I suspect that IHOP will soon be selling it along with their other gooey concoctions, flaunting them all on TV commercials that will hypnotize my subconscious mind to crave more sugar. LOL

Back