• NEW! LOWEST RATES EVER -- SUPPORT THE SHOW AND ENJOY THE VERY BEST PREMIUM PARACAST EXPERIENCE! Welcome to The Paracast+, eight years young! For a low subscription fee, you can download the ad-free version of The Paracast and the exclusive, member-only, After The Paracast bonus podcast, featuring color commentary, exclusive interviews, the continuation of interviews that began on the main episode of The Paracast. We also offer lifetime memberships! Flash! Take advantage of our lowest rates ever! Act now! It's easier than ever to susbcribe! You can sign up right here!

Subscribe to The Paracast Newsletter!

Objectionable ads

Free episodes:

Has anyone ever noticed that David Pogue and Steve Jobs look alike, or is it just me? I should have a David Pogue book waiting for me in my mailbox when I get home (iMovie 09, The Missing Manual).

Has anyone ever noticed that David Pogue and Steve Jobs look alike, or is it just me? I should have a David Pogue book waiting for me in my mailbox when I get home (iMovie 09, The Missing Manual).
Well, maybe he is looking leaner as he gets older, but I've known Pogue for years and never thought he resembled Jobs. He's a lot taller and has more hair, for example.

Gates is FOS in that "innovation" video cited above, and Balmer is the genius that predicted that the iPhone would not appeal to bidness users. He loves the Zune.

David, tell the truth, you want a new Zune! :p

I'll tell you something... I used to commute from NJ to NYC every day, for the past 8 years. I used to see maybe one Mac laptop on the train, and when the iPod came out, maybe see one once a month.

Fast forward five years, and I'd see 3 Mac laptops per car on train, and more iPods than I could shake a Zune at!

And iPhones? Fuggdaboutit!

Hey, remember back on Aug 6 1997, when Apple got that "bailout" money from MS (which of course was an out-of-court patent infringement payment to Apple).. Apple's stock was $26.75, and MS was $144.31?

:D

Attachments

• Picture 5.jpg
    Picture 5.jpg
    15.6 KB · Views: 0
i have several Mac related books from Gene that were very helpful. he has written quite a few. :)
Thanks. I don't do those anymore. The pay wasn't sufficient to cover the work involved.

And as far as David Pogue is concerned, he'll return to the tech show soon. :)

Thanks. I don't do those anymore. The pay wasn't sufficient to cover the work involved.

And as far as David Pogue is concerned, he'll return to the tech show soon. :)

I think it was a sad day when Mac Publishing absorbed MacUser magazine.

I loved that magazine. MacWorld just isn't the same thing.

Sad for me too cause I had moved over to MacUser, after writing features and reviews for Macworld. A lot of writers got lost in the transition, alas.

Sad for me too cause I had moved over to MacUser, after writing features and reviews for Macworld. A lot of writers got lost in the transition, alas.

Oh I remember. And there was others I liked like Bob "Doctor Mac", and Andy Ihnatko too. He got shoved to the back page and then... poof. I got to meet him at the first MacWorld Expo in NYC. Funny guy.

Now MacWorld is so damn skinny. I stopped subscribing to it.

We have podcasts now...

And a number of the current Macworld people, and "Doctor Mac" and Ihnatko, appear on the best tech show of them all.

Mine. :D

The Tech Night Owl LIVE with Gene Steinberg | Your Ultimate Tech Radio Resource

Ooh, OK I have to check that out now! I remember the name Mac Night Owl.

You know when I found the Paracast I was thinking Gene Steinberg??? That Gene Steinberg? Then I also recognized David's name from a Photoshop book.

So two of my favorite subjects rolled into one. :D As an old time Mac geek, it's an honor to be here!

You know I have a box filled with old mac books and I even saved old copies of MacUser and stuff. My wife is always looking at me and asking "do you need that stuff?"

Well.. yeah.

My old "pile-o-macs" and my other toy. The Portable has Photoshop 1.0 on it!

Attachments

• Mac pile.jpg
    Mac pile.jpg
    24 KB · Views: 31
  • macportable.jpg
    macportable.jpg
    34.9 KB · Views: 31
it is obvious that you are trolling here but i will bite anyway.
i would not even try to run my business on a pc OR using Xubuntu 9.04. IMO, windows sucks and i have no time to figure out Xubuntu 9.04. altho if i needed to utilize a pc application i could easily install windows on my mac and it would work just fine. it is great to have options.

I am sorry you feel you need to be smarter than a Mac user to run linux.

It's ok - we have pretty graphics and blinky lights too, if you want to install them.

I certainly have.
Why own hardware on which I have to ask Steve Jobs' permission to install software or music?

He has successfully out-evil'd Bill Gates. THAT is a feat.

I put music and software on my ipod, Mac and now iPhone, and I've never asked Jobs for squat. So what are you talking about? And while Apple, under Jobs, has released some truly great stuff, I challenge you to show me ONE even good product ever released by Microsoft.

And Davidravenmoon, those pictures are GREAT! I still have a couple of Mac II FX boxes, a Mac 512, and even a couple of Power Computing towers stuck away in a storage space. Yikes. If you have any MacUsers from the first couple of years (85-87), take a look in them, you'll find my byline in each and every issue. Good stuff.

dB

Oh... and Photoshop 1.0, the entire app is under 800K in size. Astounding, and it runs just fine on my Titanium Powerbook under Classic. Hysterical!

dB

I am sorry you feel you need to be smarter than a Mac user to run linux.

It's ok - we have pretty graphics and blinky lights too, if you want to install them.

funny guy, actually i need to run photoshop, indesign, quark, illustrator and painter on a daily basis.

I certainly have.
Why own hardware on which I have to ask Steve Jobs' permission to install software or music?

He has successfully out-evil'd Bill Gates. THAT is a feat.

Not only do you not have to ask any permission, but installing Mac OS doesn't require you to enter a serial number and tie it to your hardware, or any online activation.

I'm not sure what you are thinking of. I install anything I want, including music. The iTunes music store doesn't even use DRM (not to be confused with DavidRavenMoon ;) ) anymore. I have a large mix of music on my Mac, which is also our home sound system. Some of from my large CD collection, some is from iTunes, and some is from other places.

I could also install Linux on my Mac, and I used to run LinuxPPC back before OS X came out.

Linux isn't hard to install, but you have to partition your drives and stuff, which OS X doesn't require. For your average non-geek user (like my father-in-law) Linux would be a PITA to install, and he would have a limited amount of commercial software to run. OS X gives you all the Unix goodness, with a more polished user experience.

I really used to like BeOS, which came with my PowerComputing clone. I'd never seen an OS boot up so fast! But there was very limited software for it.

Now if you are talking about installing Mac OS X on non Apple machines.... well, you can do that with a little fiddling. But they do make awfully nice machines.

And Davidravenmoon, those pictures are GREAT! I still have a couple of Mac II FX boxes, a Mac 512, and even a couple of Power Computing towers stuck away in a storage space. Yikes. If you have any MacUsers from the first couple of years (85-87), take a look in them, you'll find my byline in each and every issue. Good stuff.

I had a 512, 2 II FXs, 2 II CIs, a Centris 610, and my first Mac a PowerMac 6100. I still have 2 Pluses, an external hard drive, and two floppy drives, and the Portable, which is a backlight model.

My PowerComputing machine was a PowerCenter 132. It now has a 400 Mhz G3 processor in it. My son used it for a while, but now he uses my G4 Digital Audio. I'm due for a new Mac! My wife has a G4 iBook and an old graphite iMac.

It cracks me up that my iPod Classic is probably more powerful than my first Mac!

Oh... and Photoshop 1.0, the entire app is under 800K in size. Astounding, and it runs just fine on my Titanium Powerbook under Classic. Hysterical!

I used to run it in classic too, but it used to overwrite the preference file for what ever current version I was using. I'm running Leopard now, so no more Classic.

I don't think I have any MacUsers from that far back, but I probably do from the mid 90's. A lot of stuff, including a bunch of Guitar Player magazines going back to the mid 70s got ruined in a flood. :(

Back