• NEW! LOWEST RATES EVER -- SUPPORT THE SHOW AND ENJOY THE VERY BEST PREMIUM PARACAST EXPERIENCE! Welcome to The Paracast+, eight years young! For a low subscription fee, you can download the ad-free version of The Paracast and the exclusive, member-only, After The Paracast bonus podcast, featuring color commentary, exclusive interviews, the continuation of interviews that began on the main episode of The Paracast. We also offer lifetime memberships! Flash! Take advantage of our lowest rates ever! Act now! It's easier than ever to susbcribe! You can sign up right here!

Subscribe to The Paracast Newsletter!

Obama wins Nobel Peace Prize

obaama continues illegal wars in afghanistan and iraq while expanding another in pakistan and becomes an asshole towards iran. how in anyone’s mind can such behavior constitute a move towards peace? Nobel Peace prize? no... Oscar? definitely!

Obama said he felt humbled and unworthy of being counted in the company of the "transformative figures" of history who had won the prize.

Well he got that right at least.

Mark

What an utter crock of nonsense. He's preparing to send 40,000 more troops to Afghanistan and he gets this. I was open to giving the guy a chance, but I'm beginning to despise Obama every bit as much as the last corporate puppet who sat in the White House.
<input id="gwProxy" type="hidden"><!--Session data--><input onclick="jsCall();" id="jsProxy" type="hidden">

obaama continues illegal wars in afghanistan and iraq while expanding another in pakistan and becomes an asshole towards iran. how in anyone’s mind can such behavior constitute a move towards peace? Nobel Peace prize? no... Oscar? definitely!

Pixel , you can not just pull out of Afghanistan and Iraq. Bush gave Obama, the headache of this two wars, not the other way round. Twenty years, from now, Afghanistan will probably be the same as it is now. America needs to help the people, who want help, not the people, who have no interest, but conflict with the West. Pulling out of Iraq now is just silly, because the Iraqi army is not strong enough to solve tensions which would happen, if the American army pulled out fully.

I think a civil war in a Iraq, is a real possibility, in a country with so many tribes wanting power in the future. If you leave Afghanistan now, or in the future, all you will get is the Taliban pouring back over the border again, from Pakistan to seize control, nobody is going to stop them, if the American army is not there to stop it.

Iran sponsors terrorists, do you want a nuclear device in the hands of people, who are willing to bomb countries like yours. It not scaremongering, Iran is an evil regime, where anything is possible.

Nominating the leader of a nation involved in the heaviest military activity on the planet LOL

You've got to admit there is, to say the least, a bit of manipulation here :D

Its a clear global message that the US must continue peace oriented efforts. On the other hand, like Obama said, he can't do this alone.... so its pressure on both sides.

Global village policing requires contributions from everybody and a recognition of common concern, otherwise don't intervene.

Pixel , you can not just pull out of Afghanistan and Iraq. Bush gave Obama, the headache of this two wars, not the other way round. Twenty years, from now, Afghanistan will probably be the same as it is now. America needs to help the people, who want help, not the people, who have no interest, but conflict with the West. Pulling out of Iraq now is just silly, because the Iraqi army is not strong enough to solve tensions which would happen, if the American army pulled out fully.

I think a civil war in a Iraq, is a real possibility, in a country with so many tribes wanting power in the future. If you leave Afghanistan now, or in the future, all you will get is the Taliban pouring back over the border again, from Pakistan to seize control, nobody is going to stop them, if the American army is not there to stop it.

Iran sponsors terrorists, do you want a nuclear device in the hands of people, who are willing to bomb countries like yours. It not scaremongering, Iran is an evil regime, where anything is possible.

whatever dude.. maybe we should go look for WMD again? lmao...

Highly odd occurance - but what does it indicate? Someone very powerful likes Mr. Obama? On the other hand, he has done good on the global stage - his speech about getting rid of nuclear weapons was a gesture, but a powerful one. Never underestimate the power of a gesture

Never underestimate the power of a gesture

I've got a gesture for Obama and the rest of Washington D.C.

<input id="gwProxy" type="hidden"><!--Session data--><input onclick="jsCall();" id="jsProxy" type="hidden">

Attachments

• images.jpg
    images.jpg
    3 KB · Views: 71

It's a very tough situation in Afghanistan. In my opinion, the military should never get involved in any conflict unless they're willing to do whatever it takes to win as was the case in Germany and Japan. The troop morale is way down, from what I've been reading, and nobody knows excatly what the fuck we're doing there or what the mission is. We're trying to stabilize the region by protecting the population, but the population is stabbing us in the back by helping taliban and killing our own troops as was just the case with Green Berets. I say either pull out or bomb the whole region to hell. We know where the bad regions are so a couple of B-52s and Navy strikes should do the trick. Then you can send in the troops to clean up afterwards. You can't possibly win any battles with the same rules of engagment that we have in Afghanistan right now. Most of the troops are on their 4th and 5th tour now. It's unprecedented. Obama either needs to get tough or get the fuck out.

Pussy-footing don't win fights. You either do it or you don't.

For what its worth, I think the world is just glad that the Bush era ended, I guess that played some sort of role in that.But the Nobel peace prize...

For what its worth, I think the world is just glad that the Bush era ended, I guess that played some sort of role in that.But the Nobel peace prize...

the bush era ended? seems like a continuation to me.

the bush era ended? seems like a continuation to me.
No, you are wrong. We now have a president who can read a teleprompter and can handle his booze and stimulants in a more suave manner.
It's a whole new brand of era.
<input id="gwProxy" type="hidden"><!--Session data--><input onclick="jsCall();" id="jsProxy" type="hidden"><input id="gwProxy" type="hidden"><!--Session data--><input onclick="jsCall();" id="jsProxy" type="hidden">

Pussy-footing don't win fights. You either do it or you don't.

Cough*cough*Ghandi*cough*cough

Has a national leader ever won before?

Yeah but not eight months into their first term! This is ridiculous and heavily insulting to the other nominees.

Consevative talk radio will have a fucking field day with this...

This is a decision not made by the American authorities, but by the committee responsible for those awards. They may have done that largely as a rebuke to the way Bush handled foreign policy, however, and in response to Obama's pledge to take things to a more cooperative style.

You can't make it up. LOL

“The question we have to ask,” Thorbjorn Jagland, the committee’s new chairman, said after the prize was announced on Friday, “is, ‘Who has done the most in the previous year to enhance peace in the world?’ And who has done more than Barack Obama?”

http://www.nytimes.com/2009/10/10/world/10oslo.html?_r=1&hp

I mean, LOL

The answer to WHY he got it was FUCKING QUESTIONS.

It's a disgrace and now makes the "award" meaning nothing going forward. Why is going to win next year, Kate plus 8?

kfed4.jpg

Next year's winner IMO.

Back