• NEW! LOWEST RATES EVER -- SUPPORT THE SHOW AND ENJOY THE VERY BEST PREMIUM PARACAST EXPERIENCE! Welcome to The Paracast+, eight years young! For a low subscription fee, you can download the ad-free version of The Paracast and the exclusive, member-only, After The Paracast bonus podcast, featuring color commentary, exclusive interviews, the continuation of interviews that began on the main episode of The Paracast. We also offer lifetime memberships! Flash! Take advantage of our lowest rates ever! Act now! It's easier than ever to susbcribe! You can sign up right here!

Subscribe to The Paracast Newsletter!

New Report Highly Critical Of Response To Reactor Meltdown At Fukushima Nuclear Power Plant

A lot of finger pointing going on there. The only real excuse that seemed valid is the, to paraphrase, the "But it was a freaking earthquake and tsunami combination." Shucks ... they use that excuse weekly over there don't they? It's a shame they haven't mentioned the workers who went in and irradiated themselves trying to shut it down either. I remember having a debate on the hazards of nuclear power with a co-worker not long before this happened. My stance is that we shouldn't build things that can go out of control in a monstrous way like a nuclear plant can. Sure, have a very few for research and isotope production, but that's all, and spend more time figuring out how get fusion power online.

A lot of finger pointing going on there. The only real excuse that seemed valid is the, to paraphrase, the "But it was a freaking earthquake and tsunami combination." Shucks ... they use that excuse weekly over there don't they? It's a shame they haven't mentioned the workers who went in and irradiated themselves trying to shut it down either. I remember having a debate on the hazards of nuclear power with a co-worker not long before this happened. My stance is that we shouldn't build things that can go out of control in a monstrous way like a nuclear plant can. Sure, have a very few for research and isotope production, but that's all, and spend more time figuring out how get fusion power online.

Have more or less said the same thing myself for years. I don't have a problem with Nuclear power I just do not think we are advanced enough yet to manage it correctly.

Have more or less said the same thing myself for years. I don't have a problem with Nuclear power I just do not think we are advanced enough yet to manage it correctly.

I think that is exactly the problem. No matter what kind of good science and engineering we apply to nuclear power, we have to face the fact we are not going to overcome the greed and incompetence of those who regulate and manage it.

I think that is exactly the problem. No matter what kind of good science and engineering we apply to nuclear power, we have to face the fact we are not going to overcome the greed and incompetence of those who regulate and manage it.

The problem of greed and incompetence is systemic through out our civilization today.
Lets face it our political systems are rigged, our environment is dieing, I am not talking man made climate change but simple over exploitation through greed and we just seem to want to party on as if it can never end..... News flash we live on a planet with finite resources.

I have to ask how much longer can we keep this all up?

I am no conspiracy nut but come on people we are consuming ourselves to death, and it is just a matter of time until the sh*t hits the fan.
This is no dooms day prediction just common sense that greed and incompetence are most likely to bring about this civilizations end not some cosmic 2012 woo woo.. but hey sorry I am off topic a little.

It's freaking nuts how catastrophic a massive coronal ejection would be in this day and age with major dependency on the electrical grid partly powered by some 440 nuclear power plants globally. Imagine hundreds of these things melting down at once. Of course, for a reasonable amount of money these plants could be safe guarded with new technology to avoid being takin down by an EMP but I don't expect they will ever do it. Also an event like this could really put a hurt on us from all the ramifications of not having the electric grid back up for months or even years. Yikes.

It's freaking nuts how catastrophic a massive coronal ejection would be in this day and age with major dependency on the electrical grid partly powered by some 440 nuclear power plants globally. Imagine hundreds of these things melting down at once. Of course, for a reasonable amount of money these plants could be safe guarded with new technology to avoid being takin down by an EMP but I don't expect they will ever do it. Also an event like this could really put a hurt on us from all the ramifications of not having the electric grid back up for months or even years. Yikes.

Civilization has always been on a knife edge .. most people just are not aware of it..

But EMP in fact scares the hell out of me for it has extremely far reaching ramifications, everything in the modern world is run on electricity to some degree and for modern transport computers in cars etc.. not only will we have problems with reactor cooling systems, transport (trucks on diesel should be fine once started as its compression) of most kinds, refrigeration etc, the list can go on and on... We are not ready for an EMP burst of significant size and we bloody well should be.

Back