• NEW! LOWEST RATES EVER -- SUPPORT THE SHOW AND ENJOY THE VERY BEST PREMIUM PARACAST EXPERIENCE! Welcome to The Paracast+, eight years young! For a low subscription fee, you can download the ad-free version of The Paracast and the exclusive, member-only, After The Paracast bonus podcast, featuring color commentary, exclusive interviews, the continuation of interviews that began on the main episode of The Paracast. We also offer lifetime memberships! Flash! Take advantage of our lowest rates ever! Act now! It's easier than ever to susbcribe! You can sign up right here!

Subscribe to The Paracast Newsletter!

NEW DMR - Any MP3's?

SheaOlmsford

Paranormal Adept
I apologize if this should be obvious, but are there any MP3 archives of the NEW DMR? I realize that if you are doing the show every night, this could be tedious AND expensive in terms of storage space online. But I betcha (my ode to Sara Palin) that there's a lot of folks like me who cannot listen LIVE and would love to listen at our pleasure (yes, we are a decadent race).

Do MP3's of the new shows exist? If not, should I just pound salt? (I don't get that expression but my dad used to say it to me a lot when I was a kid. I thought it was pretty stupid since salt is already tiny granules - I should have emptied a salt shaker on the dining room table and started hitting it was a mallet! But I didn't like to live dangerously back then).

Cyberstation USA hosts an archive but the archive does not appear to be currently available. This may be because of the cyber-attack on the Cyberstation site. It seems as if the site has been partly shut down. I do not know whether the site is free of potential cyber-attacks yet.

Usually, if you click on the text saying "Dark Matters Radio" in the daily playlists that would take you to the archive.

It would probably be wise not to go there until Mr Ecker posts something in this forum saying that Cyberstation USA is safe to use again.

Today as I write this post, it is March 3 2010 Wednesday. In another forum, I advised someone (stargate....) that they could listen to me, by going to www.darkmattersradio.com and seeing Week Five. Should I have not referred? Is that website still (virus) dangerous? Why-----would someone from Iran-----mess it up? I am NOT adept at understanding all these internet venaculars, such as MP3 and so forth. I know that this will sound extremely ignorant to some, but my technological level, has barely finally figured out how to listen to CDs. I'm almost as bad as my ---ancient--- friend Jim Moseley, with his rotary dial telephone, and Remington typewriter.

Today as I write this post, it is March 3 2010 Wednesday. In another forum, I advised someone (stargate....) that they could listen to me, by going to www.darkmattersradio.com and seeing Week Five. Should I have not referred? Is that website still (virus) dangerous? Why-----would someone from Iran-----mess it up? I am NOT adept at understanding all these internet venaculars, such as MP3 and so forth. I know that this will sound extremely ignorant to some, but my technological level, has barely finally figured out how to listen to CDs. I'm almost as bad as my ---ancient--- friend Jim Moseley, with his rotary dial telephone, and Remington typewriter.

I remember tube radios myself. :D

An MP3 file refers to an audio file. Many talk shows create an MP3 file of each broadcast. If you are on your PC and click on the file, an audio file player (Windows Media Player is a standard that is usually part of any PC you buy nowadays) will play it. So, many websites will have an archive area where you can click on the MP3 file to hear the show. Or, you can download the MP3 file to your own PC and listen to it whenever you want to do so. You can also use software like Windows Media Player to translate the MP3 file and put it on a fresh CD. Therefore, you can take a talk show like the PARACAST, download the MP3 file, then transfer it (after being modified by a program like Windows Media Player) to a CD. Then you can listen to the CD in your car or boombox or whereever you want. Other people probably download the MP3 file directly to an IPOD device. I do not do that because 1. I have ear problems and cannot use a headset of any kind. 2. I do not run around a lot or jog, so I have no need to carry around a little device to listen to talk shows or music.

I hope this helps a bit. I got an email from Don Ecker a couple days ago containing the website where his Dark Matters talk show archives reside. So, I do not think it is dangerous to send anyone there. However, when I was there (Saturday?) his shows were not available. There was only the first show available to listen to. Don responded that this was probably because someone had damaged the website (I don't know either why anyone in Iran could care less about this radio network and its programs of music, banter and ufos). I have not checked to see if later shows are available. What I found when I went there Saturday is that I could not download any MP3s. Instead, I could click on the little arrow to the right of his show, and it would play. So if you have the time to sit there on the archive page for 2 hours at that moment, you can listen to the show. However, when I clicked on later shows, I got the same FIRST episode again. So no matter what day of the week I clicked on, I got only the FIRST episode. Don was going to check on having this fixed.

Again, I hope this makes some sense. I decided not to go back and check for a week or two, or until Don makes an announcement here that the archives are working properly.

I went on there and it all seems fine, the site was attacked a while ago now and it wouldn't have taken them very long to sort it out. you used to be able to download the shows on http://dqrm.com/xmp3Player-mini/ but since the cyber attack they have stopped access. Don is working on getting something organised but until then we'll just have to be patient. They should just give Don the ability to upload them onto the site himself and that would be the end of it.

Thanks super-much stargate. I will have to print out your answer and take it home and study it, probably, like it's school homework. My 'brain' does this anomalous reaction, to where, if I am faced with info that is unfamiliar, I will be just like those female robots in that old Star Trek show, where Kirk and Spock decided to speak nonsense to them (as part of their escape plan) and the ladies' little pretty heads went POOF! I reacted that way to math, all through school. But I have a ---real--- hard head, so it merely turned my gaze out a window, and took flight.

Thanks super-much stargate. I will have to print out your answer and take it home and study it, probably, like it's school homework. My 'brain' does this anomalous reaction, to where, if I am faced with info that is unfamiliar, I will be just like those female robots in that old Star Trek show, where Kirk and Spock decided to speak nonsense to them (as part of their escape plan) and the ladies' little pretty heads went POOF! I reacted that way to math, all through school. But I have a ---real--- hard head, so it merely turned my gaze out a window, and took flight.

Well, this isn't information you really need. You can have a very happy fulfilled life without knowing anything about MP3 files! :)

On Weds. March 03 I spoke to the engineers at CyberstationUSA about the delay in getting back the mp3 files. What I was told is this, currently they have to upload the archives (because of the server) one file at a time instead of what they could do previously. ( 6 files at a time.) My files are approx. 82 megs per file which means it takes them (from what he said) anywhere from 10 minutes to better than 20. Of course there are a number of other programs that they deal with getting back online along with their live programs they do each day. However, I was assured that the files will be back up there sooner than later. So, this is the most current information I have and when I get any other word I will post it asap.

Tonight on Dark Matters I will be hosting and interviewing Gary Bekkum of http://www.starstreamresearch.com/. This should be a good one, the show starts at 10:00 PM Pacific, 1:00 AM Eastern. See you on the radio!

Don

Tonight on Dark Matters I will be hosting and interviewing Gary Bekkum of http://www.starstreamresearch.com/. This should be a good one, the show starts at 10:00 PM Pacific, 1:00 AM Eastern. See you on the radio!

Don

Hey Don ... just been checking out the mp3 archives on CyberStationUSA. I was just wondering ... which is which show??? Do the file names line up with the dates the guests were on?? Because ... say "dmr-10-t.mp3" doesn't really mean that much to me :confused::D ... or am I being a bit thick and missing something here???

Many thanks in advance. Paraschtick

As best as I can tell, the filename is dmr-week-day. Except it's wrong. dmr-10 files seem to be ?Week 7? instead of Week 10 according to the dates in the blog. When a .mp3 file is downloaded it sometimes has questionable info in its tags. For example, dmr-10.th claims to be Richard Hall. I haven't listened yet to see if it is Hall or the person associated with that date, which I think is Gary Bekkum. Doesn't look like the Paul Kimball one is up yet.

Anyway, thanks, Don for your help in putting these up, but the filename/description problem still needs some work.

As best as I can tell, the filename is dmr-week-day. Except it's wrong. dmr-10 files seem to be ?Week 7? instead of Week 10 according to the dates in the blog. When a .mp3 file is downloaded it sometimes has questionable info in its tags. For example, dmr-10.th claims to be Richard Hall. I haven't listened yet to see if it is Hall or the person associated with that date, which I think is Gary Bekkum. Doesn't look like the Paul Kimball one is up yet.

Anyway, thanks, Don for your help in putting these up, but the filename/description problem still needs some work.

Ahhh I see. Makes sense now you say it :D. I was wondering since I downloaded one I wanted to listen to, and it wasn't ... the one I wanted to listen to. I'll go back and see if I can figure out now if it is there or not. I was just going by the dates by the mp3 file ... turns out the one I downloaded wasn't the one featured on that date.

Oh well ... I guess I'll get there in the end :D. I'm just glad they're there to download. Some people are far too generous :). And yes I do mean you, Mr Ecker.

Ahhh I see. Makes sense now you say it :D. I was wondering since I downloaded one I wanted to listen to, and it wasn't ... the one I wanted to listen to. I'll go back and see if I can figure out now if it is there or not. I was just going by the dates by the mp3 file ... turns out the one I downloaded wasn't the one featured on that date.

Oh well ... I guess I'll get there in the end :D. I'm just glad they're there to download. Some people are far too generous :). And yes I do mean you, Mr Ecker.

OK. "dmr-10-w" which, I believe was labeled Wed 03/03/2010 in the archives, is the Robert Hastings/Robert Salas show identified on the darkmattersradio blog as Wed. Mar. 10 in Week 8. "dmr-10.th" is indeed a re-broadcast of an older interview with Richard Hall. The darkmattersradio blog only says Thu and Fri TBA and doesn't mention Richard Hall. Presumably, then, "dmr-10.t" might be Paul Kimball.

So, at this point, add one week to the date listed in the archives. (e.g. 3/3/2010 = 3/10/2010.) If you are looking at a file name, subtract two, not three weeks from the dmr-xx number. Look at the darkmattersradio.com blog for the resulting week (e.g. dmr-10 = Week Eight) This interpretation is of course based on a very small sample size and I invite correction.
I really know I have no right to complain since I'm getting it for free and all, but really, this is a long way from the level of organization that we Paracast devotees sort of have gotten accustomed to in file archives. The truth is, Don and his guests have done a hell of a lot of good work that needs to be listened to and recognized and discussed, and this kind of kludgy naming is an obstacle.

OK. "dmr-10-w" which, I believe was labeled Wed 03/03/2010 in the archives, is the Robert Hastings/Robert Salas show identified on the darkmattersradio blog as Wed. Mar. 10 in Week 8 ...

Blimey ... confusing isn't it? I too figured it out after a back and forth between the Dark Matters blog and the show website. Hopefully soon they'll get round to fixing it and I can decide which ones to listen to. The files are a wee bit too big for me to download frequently on my broadband plan thing so I have to pick and choose which ones to download ... so I can just pick one willy-nilly as it were. Still they are free ... so musn't grumble too much but I probably will :D

Back