• NEW! LOWEST RATES EVER -- SUPPORT THE SHOW AND ENJOY THE VERY BEST PREMIUM PARACAST EXPERIENCE! Welcome to The Paracast+, eight years young! For a low subscription fee, you can download the ad-free version of The Paracast and the exclusive, member-only, After The Paracast bonus podcast, featuring color commentary, exclusive interviews, the continuation of interviews that began on the main episode of The Paracast. We also offer lifetime memberships! Flash! Take advantage of our lowest rates ever! Act now! It's easier than ever to susbcribe! You can sign up right here!

Subscribe to The Paracast Newsletter!

NASA finds strange object on the surface of the red planet

universeseeker

Skilled Investigator
A panoramic view, composed with images taken by the curiosity rover is showing a strange object in the background. It's impossible to say what it is.. it can be a natural formation ofcourse.. but to me.. it doesn't seem to fit in the surrounding area at all... what do you think ?

x4.jpg

@universeseeker, if you like that one you'll probably like this one even better.

Photo by constance523

{note: the image above was neither discovered nor enhanced by me. It's the work of Rami Bar Ilan. I merely took a screen shot of it from my FB page and copied it into Windows photo gallery and my photobucket cache in order to share it with you here.}

If you are interested in seeing more anomalies visible in JPL rover images obtained on Mars you might want to join facebook to view and read a number of Mars research and image analysis forums available there. You're also welcome to visit my FB page, where I've posted numerous selections of these images, including some I've enhanced myself, over the last ten months.

https://www.facebook.com/constance.papadopoulus

In a next post I'll provide direct links to Mars research forums I recommend at facebook.

Lots of natural formations and phenomena have strange features. Why post it on a paranormal website? More clickbait? A credulity test?

Strange Natural Formations On Earth

@ufology, do you mean why has @universeseeker posted that JPL image here? It seems to me that most people who post here would have a natural interest in learning more about what's increasingly known about anomalies visible on Mars. Maybe not, though. I've noticed that little is posted or discussed here about Mars anomalies and have wondered why.

I've spent the last ten months following websites and facebook forums [sometimes connected to one another] in which raw JPL panoramic images are linked and analysed, and in which searchable gigapans of these images are also linked once they have been produced. There is an enormous amount to see in these images even through the dim light setting and the rust-orange filter employed in the publicly released images. Photo-editing software of even simple, basic types -- such as the Windows Photo Gallery software on my computer -- enables photographic image analysts to crop and illuminate specific areas and specific objects by increasing light, contrast, and shadow still available in the photos, though it is not possible to increase the depth of focus. In the hands of expert analysts a whole new world has been opened up for those curious about Mars, in which we see evidently ancient monumental carvings remarkably similar to those found on our planet and a range of carved objects evidently of more recent vintage.

Indeed, some of the artefacts visible at a dozen or more locations in Gale Crater are obviously made of some ceramic or otherwise moldable material (similar perhaps to a material medium I read about recently that was developed and used in Peru several thousand years ago for constructing large shelters/buildings). On Mars this is a material that is obviously breakable, for we see shaped artworks with parts broken off and lying on the ground, and also see into the hollowness of the remaining sculpture.

Objects of technologically developed, machine-like, nature are also brought to visibility in rover images and sometimes even in satellite imagery obtained by the Mars Reconnaisance orbiter. It's all astonishing and amazing -- evidence of a civilization constructed and destroyed several times on the planet next door to earth. It's the most fascinating subject I've come across since the interdisciplinary investigation of consciousness began 25 years ago. {In fact, studying visible artefacts and structures on Mars in terms of our own disciplines of archaeology and art history connects significantly with our culture's contemporary interest in understanding what consciousness is and how it expresses itself, for the intelligent species in Mars history were obviously conscious and intelligent beings following natural impulses like our own to build societies and cultures, learn how to manage their natural resources, and express in art and architecture their viewpoints on the 'world' they were building.}

Last edited:
One more response to your comment, @ufology:

Lots of natural formations and phenomena have strange features. Why post it on a paranormal website? More clickbait? A credulity test?

It seems to me that to begin to understand "the paranormal" -- in any or all of its categories of manifestation -- we need to have recognized that which we experience as "normal" in our species' historical and current life. That which has been taken to be 'normal' in most of the experiences of most humans on this planet, now and in the past, constitutes the only anchoring point, and point of comparison, we have in our attempts to comprehend phenomena that we sense to be 'para-normal'. Our problem of course is that we do not know the origins or natures of these various types of 'para-normal' phenomena that members of our species have experienced even far back in our history. I do think, btw, that it's a mistake to assume in the first place that these varieties of 'para-normal' experience all have a single origin or a single nature.

Anyway, if the Paracast forums as a whole are to be limited exclusively to discussing "the paranormal," it may be that explorations of Mars images will not be of interest here. (I should add that some Mars research forums on facebook and elsewhere on the net do take an interest in suggestions of 'para-normality' in some Mars images.)

a rock is just a rock!

Until it's carved or sculpted by an intelligent, expressive, and creative being. Here's an enhancement of an area of interest in a recently obtained raw JPL image obtained by the rover Curiosity. How many of the things that appear here can be accounted for as productions of geological processes?

Photo by constance523

ps, in addition to enlarging the image once at my photobucket link you can more readily recognize the edges and placement of various objects in the image by magnifying the image x2 in your browser.

Last edited:

It seems to me that to begin to understand "the paranormal" -- in any or all of its categories of manifestation -- we need to have recognized that which we experience as "normal" in our species' historical and current life. That which has been taken to be 'normal' in most of the experiences of most humans on this planet, now and in the past, constitutes the only anchoring point, and point of comparison, we have in our attempts to comprehend phenomena that we sense to be 'para-normal'. Our problem of course is that we do not know the origins or natures of these various types of 'para-normal' phenomena that members of our species have experienced even far back in our history. I do think, btw, that it's a mistake to assume in the first place that these varieties of 'para-normal' experience all have a single origin or a single nature.

Anyway, if the Paracast forums as a whole are to be limited exclusively to discussing "the paranormal," it may be that explorations of Mars images will not be of interest here. (I should add that some Mars research forums on facebook and elsewhere on the net do take an interest in suggestions of 'para-normality' in some Mars images.)
All fair comment. It's just that when I see a link to yet another video channel that exploits NASA scientific missions through the use of unsubstantiated sensationalist headlines that suggest some mysterious force, it's hard not to think: Clickbait - Wikipedia

All fair comment. It's just that when I see a link to yet another video channel that exploits NASA scientific missions through the use of unsubstantiated sensationalist headlines that suggest some mysterious force, it's hard not to think: Clickbait - Wikipedia

I don't know what other sorts of videos this YT channel publishes, but I see nothing 'sensationalistic' about this video, nor do I see it as "exploit[ing] NASA's scientific missions." How is it an exploitation of "NASA scientific missions" that private citizens in the US and numerous persons living elsewhere on Earth research, analyze, and clarify objects photographed on Mars by NASA/JPL rovers and satellites -- scientific missions that are fully funded by taxpayers in this country? Is it not in everyone's interest to know what is being discovered on the surface of Mars? Or are such discoveries, such knowledge, the private property of the federal government, to be publicly shared only to a certain, limited, extent?

The topic of paranormal relates to ancient occult realized discussions about Planets also.
Index of Angel names, magical words, and names of God

The ancients did not have the technology that modern day sciences have studying the conditions of the occult (phenomena) as the unidentified condition...UFO, yet obviously knew that Planet Earth was affected by other planets.

Therefore this type of informed state demonstrates that the human mind/psyche was affected by the planetary received communications, and the UFO condition demonstrates by its AI circumstance to relate to the condition of building machines for communication itself.

Hence the AI condition is known by humanity in how it has used and applied the information that it knew naturally....communication.

This is why a review of historical evidences has demonstrated that the human male mind condition is to apply occultist conversion....the cause and effect causation then attacks natural life and destroys natural life.

Life then re-evolves and the human male once again is mind advised about the communications of conversion, reapply the techniques to apply conversion, begin to attack life by the cause and effect causation and life begins to be destroyed.

The reason that this situation is real, is due to the evidence that as Planet Earth is receiving the UFO condition, so too are other Planets changing by effect.

As nuclear relates to the Sun, and the Sun a much hotter body than all other bodies in the Universe, and the Sun also releases the UFO condition as studied, then it is obvious that human beings are causing the Sun to attack the Planets and Earth.

I don't know what other sorts of videos this YT channel publishes, but I see nothing 'sensationalistic' about this video, nor do I see it as "exploit[ing] NASA's scientific missions." How is it an exploitation of "NASA scientific missions" that private citizens in the US and numerous persons living elsewhere on Earth research, analyze, and clarify objects photographed on Mars by NASA/JPL rovers and satellites -- scientific missions that are fully funded by taxpayers in this country? Is it not in everyone's interest to know what is being discovered on the surface of Mars? Or are such discoveries, such knowledge, the private property of the federal government, to be publicly shared only to a certain, limited, extent?

Part of the answer to your question is self explanatory ( in the assertion itself ), but to clarify: It exploits via a YouTube advertising channel ( SpaceLizard.one ) ... nothing even remotely reminiscent of ThirdPhaseOf Moon ... lol ... coupled with the claim of a so-called "Strange Object", which is a sensationalist headline that is obviously meant to evoke curiosity, not to mention that it's on Mars, and that the NASA name is featured prominently implying it is they who are making the claim that the object is "strange", when in fact that doesn't seem to be the case, and in all likelihood the object is a natural formation caused by geologic processes. Put it all together and IMO it adds up to click bait.

I don't trust any video that won't give any identifying information for the source image, plus it just annoys me.

I understand where you're coming from. When I first began investing time in the Mars image research it took a while for me to realize how much visual data has been obtained over the last half-decade through the various cameras operating on both the Opportunity and Curiosity rovers and also the several orbiting satellites and their cameras. It's such an immense amount of data that it would require several lifetimes for a single individual to absorb all of it. But fortunately numerous skilled image analysts have been at work, internationally, for years now analyzing and sorting the data, aided by the output of dedicated research programs at universities in the US, Germany, and elsewhere.

One of the problems newcomers face in engaging with the data is learning where to find online the sources of data output by the various departmental programs of NASA and JPL that receive it and propagate it in 'raw' form. The analysts I follow in the Mars research forums on facebook and elsewhere on the web identify the raw sources of the images they analyze and clarify. An example is Terry Burnett, who has built the website What's Up in the Sky and linked it to his FB page of the same name.

@ufology has just linked us to the first hour of Terry's four-hour video analysis of the Curiosity images obtained at the Rocknest site in Gale Crater, and I recommend that anyone here who is motivated to pursue Mars image research start by viewing this first hour. I've just watched this video for the first time myself, and though I've watched other video presentations by Terry linked at FB, I have not begun to scratch the surface of all that he and his colleagues have produced in terms of video presentations of their work. Previously, over the 11 months I've spent engaged by the Mars images, I've mostly worked from single images posted in the Mars FB forums, tracking back to the raw images from which they have been cropped.

Your complaint apparently concerns less responsible YT videos and general 'ufo' or 'paranormal' internet sites that copy the enhanced images produced by more serious researchers without including the data that could lead you to the raw images involved. Often this data is in the form of a long string of letters and numbers under which raw images are catalogued by JPL and are accessible online, but you need to do an internet search specifying those specific letter and number strings to find them (or else become familiar enough with the JPL online apparatus to go directly to the relevant department and search there for the particular image you are seeking).

After the 11 months I've now spent studying thousands of enhanced images captured in numerous locations on Mars by the JPL rovers and orbiters, I no longer doubt that we are seeing the residues and remains of both purpose-built structures of various types and of mechanical artifacts whose parts we can perceive, and also seeing artistic representations of formerly living beings of various species including humanoids. As Terry Burnett indicates in the video @ufology linked, whatever cataclysm or cataclysms disrupted former organized societies and cultures on Mars, material residues of those civilizations and their activities (their interests and values) remain visible to us and interpretable by us.

It also appears to be the case that intelligent and creative beings have continued to survive on Mars post-cataclysm(s) -- living mostly in lava tubes beneath the surface but also spending part of the day in sunlight on the surface -- for carvings and sculptures also appear on the surfaces of broken up materials littering the Mars surface, that is, on both geologically formed and disrupted landmasses and on purpose-built structures and engineered objects that reveal signs of having been intentionally produced at earlier points in Mars's history.

In other words, we see historical layers of significant expression on the part of generations of intelligent Martians of what they wanted to build and what they wanted to celebrate and memorialize. In this latter category of artistic expression, it's unmistakable that these people deeply valued (perhaps even revered) life itself in all its various biological forms and species. It also seems that they found special significance in species of birds, for images of birds recur endlessly in Mars rock sculpture and rock carving. In this they seem to parallel our own species, which began in our prehistory to carve bird effigies and form what archaeologists refer to as 'bird cults'. The widespread artistic artefacts visible in the Mars images in themselves make the case that their creators were similar to us in our emotional and mental responses to our surrounding natural environment. So much like us apparently that the near-destruction of their planet touches us at more than intellectual levels.

@Constance, I don't find most of the pics compelling enough for me. I did see this one on your photobucket account and if any picture could interest me, it would be this one.
http://s447.photobucket.com/user/constance523/media/from M. GENESIS 10-13-16_zpsohnmjm32.jpg.html[/QUOTE]

Yes, that is an interesting location for many reasons. Among others is the clear image of an entrance to the underground, this one heavily ornamented with carvings on a built-up structure surrounding it. Throughout the areas photographed by Curiosity in Gale Crater we have seen countless plainer openings into the ground or into hillside elevations, and in some places, at higher elevations, elaborately decorated entrances that have included a combination of apparently ancient sculptures flanking the opening and other artistic works of clearly more recent vintage that seem to have been shaped from hardened layers of sedimentation formed by the gradual lowering of the lake that once filled Gale Crater. Some of these latter artworks surround the entrance on its sides and are even placed so as to hang down slightly over the entrance. I know I saved some of these images early last year and if I can find them again will post them here.

Last edited:
I understand where you're coming from. When I first began investing time in the Mars image research it took a while for me to realize how much visual data has been obtained over the last half-decade through the various cameras operating on both the Opportunity and Curiosity rovers and also the several orbiting satellites and their cameras. It's such an immense amount of data that it would require several lifetimes for a single individual to absorb all of it. But fortunately numerous skilled image analysts have been at work, internationally, for years now analyzing and sorting the data, aided by the output of dedicated research programs at universities in the US, Germany, and elsewhere.

One of the problems newcomers face in engaging with the data is learning where to find online the sources of data output by the various departmental programs of NASA and JPL that receive it and propagate it in 'raw' form. The analysts I follow in the Mars research forums on facebook and elsewhere on the web identify the raw sources of the images they analyze and clarify. An example is Terry Burnett, who has built the website What's Up in the Sky and linked it to his FB page of the same name.

@ufology has just linked us to the first hour of Terry's four-hour video analysis of the Curiosity images obtained at the Rocknest site in Gale Crater, and I recommend that anyone here who is motivated to pursue Mars image research start by viewing this first hour. I've just watched this video for the first time myself, and though I've watched other video presentations by Terry linked at FB, I have not begun to scratch the surface of all that he and his colleagues have produced in terms of video presentations of their work. Previously, over the 11 months I've spent engaged by the Mars images, I've mostly worked from single images posted in the Mars FB forums, tracking back to the raw images from which they have been cropped.

Your complaint apparently concerns less responsible YT videos and general 'ufo' or 'paranormal' internet sites that copy the enhanced images produced by more serious researchers without including the data that could lead you to the raw images involved. Often this data is in the form of a long string of letters and numbers under which raw images are catalogued by JPL and are accessible online, but you need to do an internet search specifying those specific letter and number strings to find them (or else become familiar enough with the JPL online apparatus to go directly to the relevant department and search there for the particular image you are seeking).

After the 11 months I've now spent studying thousands of enhanced images captured in numerous locations on Mars by the JPL rovers and orbiters, I no longer doubt that we are seeing the residues and remains of both purpose-built structures of various types and of mechanical artifacts whose parts we can perceive, and also seeing artistic representations of formerly living beings of various species including humanoids. As Terry Burnett indicates in the video @ufology linked, whatever cataclysm or cataclysms disrupted former organized societies and cultures on Mars, material residues of those civilizations and their activities (their interests and values) remain visible to us and interpretable by us.

It also appears to be the case that intelligent and creative beings have continued to survive on Mars post-cataclysm(s) -- living mostly in lava tubes beneath the surface but also spending part of the day in sunlight on the surface -- for carvings and sculptures also appear on the surfaces of broken up materials littering the Mars surface, that is, on both geologically formed and disrupted landmasses and on purpose-built structures and engineered objects that reveal signs of having been intentionally produced at earlier points in Mars's history.

In other words, we see historical layers of significant expression on the part of generations of intelligent Martians of what they wanted to build and what they wanted to celebrate and memorialize. In this latter category or artistic expression, it's unmistakable that these people deeply valued (perhaps even revered) life itself in all its various biological forms and species. It also seems that they found special significance in species of birds, for images of birds recur endlessly in Mars rock sculpture and rock carving. In this they seem to parallel our own species, which began in our prehistory to carve bird effigies and form what archaeologists refer to as 'bird cults'. The widespread artistic artefacts visible in the Mars images in themselves make the case that their creators were similar to us in our emotional and mental responses to our surrounding natural environment. So much like us apparently that the near-destruction of their planet touches us at more than intellectual levels.

@Constance, I don't find most of the pics compelling enough for me. I did see this one on your photobucket account and if any picture could interest me, it would be this one.
http://s447.photobucket.com/user/constance523/media/from M. GENESIS 10-13-16_zpsohnmjm32.jpg.html

I have spent some time on the various websites that contain these images and I'm well aware of how to look for them. I just can't and don't get inspired by the sensationalist hype that sometimes gets thrown around with these videos purporting them to be the next big discovery in ufology (and/or irrefutable proof). Constance, I know I sound terribly crabby today. It's not you.

Really it was the stone/tablet in the lower left hand corner that's caught my eye in your picture. Has there been attempt to determine the scale of the objects in question? I'm not sure I can get that excited without knowing the size of these objects on Mars, even if it's just a rough estimate.

Intelligent life on Mars? I'm not sure I'm willing to go that far at this point in time, but I appreciate your kind and thoughtful response. I will be sure to check out Tim's video in the near future.

. . .the NASA name is featured prominently implying it is they who are making the claim that the object is "strange", when in fact that doesn't seem to be the case, and in all likelihood the object is a natural formation caused by geologic processes. Put it all together and IMO it adds up to click bait.

I'm not going to speak for 'Space Lizard' or any of the other YT channels of that ilk, which seem to have their own limited agendas. These kinds of sites are totally inadequate to the serious inquiry required for grounded interpretation of what can be seen on the surface of Mars through the JPL rover images..

NASA makes few if any claims, beyond geological and climatological ones, about the nature of what is visible in the JPL rover images. If JPL employs any archaeologists or art historians among their own image analysts [which they should be doing by now], no commentaries by such specialists are ever released to the public. This is a situation in flux and will eventually have to change given the pressure produced by online publication of images analyzed and clarified by hundreds of skilled researchers working outside JPL and the public discussions that follow online concerning what these images signify.

Some people who are fascinated with the ufo subject, such as 'Space Lizard' appears to be, clearly do want to try to force NASA/JPL to acknowledge what could be interpreted as a classic 'ufo' image whenever possible. I've seen a few rover panoramas that include what appear to be high-tech mechanical constructions, including possible aerial craft. But it will be a long time, imo, before NASA/JPL ever comment on the question of potential evidence for 'ufos' originating on Mars in our time.

I too think it's unfortunate that JPL images are used as 'click-bait' by internet ufo sites or any other agenda-driven group. Fortunately there are very sound websites, and FB groups, exploring and discussing the Mars images and their significance concerning the cultural as well as the environmental history of that planet.

I said earlier that I'd post links to the FB groups that I recommend and I'll try to do that today. You already know about the two sites maintained by Terry Burnett under the designation 'What's Up in the Sky?'.

I'm with Constance on this one. I agree that any single distant photo of an object or rock on mars that has an interesting shape, means zip. Randall correctly points out that the Earth is awash with bizarre rock formations etc and there is no reason to jump to Fortean-type explanations on the basis of one photo.
However, Mars to us is still a very strange and unknown planet and I've seen plenty of pretty strange objects from Rover photos etc. Not saying any of them are unexplained or whatever but some are definitely worthy of a look and maybe a bit of discussion. Things don't need to be paranormal to be discussed in this forum - e.g the political thread!

Also, if UFOs are really the vehicles or probes of visiting aliens, then all they are is technology that as yet is unknown to us, not paranormal. I'm playing Devil's advocate of course, but one could easily argue UFOs are not paranormal - at least not in the sense of weird cryptids or Skinwalker Ranch etc.

I'm happy to have a look at the odd Mars photo showing the latest 'Egyptian Mummy' etc!:p

Really it was the stone/tablet in the lower left hand corner that's caught my eye in your picture. Has there been attempt to determine the scale of the objects in question? I'm not sure I can get that excited without knowing the size of these objects on Mars, even if it's just a rough estimate.

Here's a quick crop of that section of the image with some light and shadow adjustments to enhance dimensionality and detail. Does it help enough to clarify the shapes of things on that stone? I see a possible carved animal face/mask and what look to me like organized sections where smaller, often geometrically shaped, objects are assembled. I'll look into it more later.

Photo by constance523

@Red, it just occurred to me that you might have been referring not to the large flat stone roughly centered in my crop, but to the curved stone beneath and to the left of it. I think that lower stone, propped up at an angle, is indeed an intricately carved artwork with various carved faces along the top. The intricate quasi-lattice-like lines composed in apparent relief beneath the faces do not look to me like symbols or written language, but they might represent a diagram of a formerly multi-roomed structure destroyed before the carving was made.

@Red, it just occurred to me that you might have been referring not to the large flat stone roughly centered in my crop, but to the curved stone beneath and to the left of it. I think that lower stone, propped up at an angle, is indeed an intricately carved artwork with various carved faces along the top. The intricate quasi-lattice-like lines composed in apparent relief beneath the faces do not look to me like symbols or written language, but they might represent a diagram of a formerly multi-roomed structure destroyed before the carving was made.

Yes, that would be it. It looks more decorative to me.

Back