• NEW! LOWEST RATES EVER -- SUPPORT THE SHOW AND ENJOY THE VERY BEST PREMIUM PARACAST EXPERIENCE! Welcome to The Paracast+, eight years young! For a low subscription fee, you can download the ad-free version of The Paracast and the exclusive, member-only, After The Paracast bonus podcast, featuring color commentary, exclusive interviews, the continuation of interviews that began on the main episode of The Paracast. We also offer lifetime memberships! Flash! Take advantage of our lowest rates ever! Act now! It's easier than ever to susbcribe! You can sign up right here!

Subscribe to The Paracast Newsletter!

NASA discovers exceptional object

Cool.

Doubt its anything that would excite anomaly nutters like us, but it might be interesting nonetheless.

Lol love the answers. But Blowfish is correct I feel that it will be nothing that would excite the nutters so to speak.

However the Planet X fanatics will be going into over drive for a few days until it is shown to be an interesting but normal local space body.

From a rational stand point all we need to do is look at who will be talking at the press conference to get an idea of what they will be talking about: Alex Filippenko “and his collaborators have made a concerted effort to determine the nature of the progenitor stars and the explosion mechanisms of different types of supernovae and gamma-ray bursts. One of his major activities is to use supernovae as cosmological distance indicators; he was a member of both teams that discovered (in 1999 the accelerating expansion of the Universe, driven by "dark energy." He is also interested in determining the physical properties of quasars and active galaxies, and he searches for black holes in both X-ray binary stars and nearby galactic nuclei. His group has developed a 0.76-meter robotic telescope at Lick Observatory (KAIT, the Katzman Automatic Imaging Telescope), which in the past decade has been the world's most successful search engine for relatively nearby supernovae” and Dr. <!--cvtitle--><!--cvfirst-->Kimberly <!--cvfirst--><!--cvmiddle-->Ann <!--cvmiddle--><!--cvlast-->Weaver <!--cvlast-->research field follows along the same lines. None of these people are asteroid hunters or planet hunters so I would expect what they have to talk about is a discovery in their given field of study.

Having said all that I could be wrong.

This should be interesting news and live in the UK around this time tomorrow. Cosmic neighbourhood includes anywhere in our arm of the Milky Way and might be even closer to home?

In the dry terminology of astrophysicists, 'exceptional object' means something very f***ing special!

Paul Laviolette says that the bubbles appearing at the poles of our galactic core are a recurring galactic event. They are in fact an explosion of high energy particles whose indirect effect on our earth are planetary temperature changes having caused mass extermination of life in the past.

The current explosion happened 40,000 years ago and is now reaching us just in time for 2012 ;)

The current explosion happened 40,000 years ago and is now reaching us just in time for 2012 ;)

Now thats an impressive prophesy. I predict that in 12 million years from now the Earth will be struck by a rouge test fire of the death star like device that happened 4 million years ago. I think I'll start a website and write a book.

Mistery solved :))

We've discovered a nearby black hole (result of supernova 1979-c)... and are able too determine its age.... (born 31 years ago)

The 30-year-old object is a remnant of SN 1979C, a supernova in the galaxy M100 approximately 50 million light years from Earth. Data
from Chandra, NASA’s Swift satellite, the European Space Agency’s XMM-Newton and the German ROSAT observatory revealed a bright source of X-rays that has remained steady during observation from 1995 to 2007. This suggests the object is a black hole being fed either by material falling into it from the supernova or a binary companion.

http://www.islandcrisis.net/2010/11...observatory-finds-youngest-nearby-black-hole/

LOL this is kind of fishy.... a nearby black hole 50 million light years away (In another galaxy lol) ?! Did this deserve attention beyond a technical journal of astronomy ?!

Back