• NEW! LOWEST RATES EVER -- SUPPORT THE SHOW AND ENJOY THE VERY BEST PREMIUM PARACAST EXPERIENCE! Welcome to The Paracast+, eight years young! For a low subscription fee, you can download the ad-free version of The Paracast and the exclusive, member-only, After The Paracast bonus podcast, featuring color commentary, exclusive interviews, the continuation of interviews that began on the main episode of The Paracast. We also offer lifetime memberships! Flash! Take advantage of our lowest rates ever! Act now! It's easier than ever to susbcribe! You can sign up right here!

Subscribe to The Paracast Newsletter!

My Scary Female Apparition Experience

Free episodes:

I don't mind at all. I still think being abducted would be a million times more frightening. I'd probably pass out and later convince myself it was only a dream. haha.

Oh join the club, I'm fairly deaf too and me eyes ar'nt much better either. Takes me ages to read and listen! :eek:

Poor dear! Sometimes the hearing thing can be a real pain in the arse but sometimes it can actually come into use -- and here's why....

Oddly enough, due to my hearing deficit, I'm able to interpret EVP much better than people with "normal hearing". In fact, I'm even sought after by some of my colleagues in this field to help interpret EVP that's not clear enough for them to discern what's being said. The reason why is because people like me (and maybe you too) with long term high frequency hearing loss are able to compensate much better than the avg. person for missing information in the high frequencies (the consonants) than those who do not have any loss in those ranges. The brain interprets the highs as the sense of clarity and sharpness but in EVP, the consonants (the highs) are much more subdued than what we hear in normal speech. So consequently, normal hearing people, who are used to hearing consonants very loud and clear, when listening to EVP, are forced to glean information on what's being said exclusively from those speech sounds that fall in the low and mid-ranges; which would be the vowels. But, because they are not used to hearing speech like that, many have problems when interpreting what's being said in an EVP recording because of this. This is why we, in the EVP field, say that it takes a "trained" ear to understand EVP. It goes without saying that the more practice one gets in listening to them, the better they get at understanding what's being said -- but not always. For some reason, some people continue to have problems understanding EVP no matter how long they've been recording and listening to them. We are not entirely sure why this is but, after all, hearing is a very complicated multifaceted "sense" and even though someone may appear to have "normal hearing", there may be something about the shape of their frequency range and even their listening skills that somehow interfere with what is called "speech discrimination" making EVP difficult for them to understand. Many who are like this also have a harder time than most when understanding those with strong accents.

Sooooo, at least in the area of EVP, you may find yourself in a better position than most in terms of interpreting them and you may want to check that out!

Also, for those who were born deaf or hard-of-hearing, we also have much better peripheral vision than those with normal hearing. We are very visually oriented and are much more dependent on our sight to keep us out of trouble -- hence why our peripheral vision is much more developed than "normals". We are also supposed to be better at finding 3-D pictures and messages in stereograms. The reason why is because the deaf have a more developed sense of 'far point' vision and this includes a more developed 'spatial vision' too.

And finally, we are experts in reading faces and body language. We know when someone's bull-sh#*ing us because we use that visual information more than the avg. person. And of course, it goes without saying that our lip reading skills are much, much better too which explains why we can watch people from afar, who are out of the normal hearing range of even those with normal hearing and tell what's being said -- and, lol, I have a lot of fun with that. :D

Oh join the club, I'm fairly deaf too and me eyes ar'nt much better either. Takes me ages to read and listen! :eek:

Me too! (completely deaf in one ear and hearing loss in the other but wear an aid). Completely blind in one eye and severely nearsighted in good eye but wear contact lens.

I also rely on lip reading as well as sense of touch, smell and intuition, I guess.

My goodness!!
What an amazing coincidence that we should all find ourselves in the same forum as this!
Sooooo good to know that we each are in good company due to some of our shared deficits that may in fact contribute to a more enhanced ability to "intuit" things -- and perhaps this is part of the reason why we are finding ourselves in a forum such as this one. Many of us have had some experiences due to our intuition skills -- I think in many cases, that's all part of it! Lol, hope I'm making sense but thanks Bixyboo for sharing this information about yourself! :)

PS -- also, most definitely, we depend a lot of those "vibrations" that emanate from sounds. So because of this, we are able to get much more information from that than the avg. person.

Poor dear! Sometimes the hearing thing can be a real pain in the arse but sometimes it can actually come into use -- and here's why....

Oddly enough, due to my hearing deficit, I'm able to interpret EVP much better than people with "normal hearing". In fact, I'm even sought after by some of my colleagues in this field to help interpret EVP that's not clear enough for them to discern what's being said. The reason why is because people like me (and maybe you too) with long term high frequency hearing loss are able to compensate much better than the avg. person for missing information in the high frequencies (the consonants) than those who do not have any loss in those ranges. The brain interprets the highs as the sense of clarity and sharpness but in EVP, the consonants (the highs) are much more subdued than what we hear in normal speech. So consequently, normal hearing people, who are used to hearing consonants very loud and clear, when listening to EVP, are forced to glean information on what's being said exclusively from those speech sounds that fall in the low and mid-ranges; which would be the vowels. But, because they are not used to hearing speech like that, many have problems when interpreting what's being said in an EVP recording because of this. This is why we, in the EVP field, say that it takes a "trained" ear to understand EVP. It goes without saying that the more practice one gets in listening to them, the better they get at understanding what's being said -- but not always. For some reason, some people continue to have problems understanding EVP no matter how long they've been recording and listening to them. We are not entirely sure why this is but, after all, hearing is a very complicated multifaceted "sense" and even though someone may appear to have "normal hearing", there may be something about the shape of their frequency range and even their listening skills that somehow interfere with what is called "speech discrimination" making EVP difficult for them to understand. Many who are like this also have a harder time than most when understanding those with strong accents.

Sooooo, at least in the area of EVP, you may find yourself in a better position than most in terms of interpreting them and you may want to check that out!

Also, for those who were born deaf or hard-of-hearing, we also have much better peripheral vision than those with normal hearing. We are very visually oriented and are much more dependent on our sight to keep us out of trouble -- hence why our peripheral vision is much more developed than "normals". We are also supposed to be better at finding 3-D pictures and messages in stereograms. The reason why is because the deaf have a more developed sense of 'far point' vision and this includes a more developed 'spatial vision' too.

And finally, we are experts in reading faces and body language. We know when someone's bull-sh#*ing us because we use that visual information more than the avg. person. And of course, it goes without saying that our lip reading skills are much, much better too which explains why we can watch people from afar, who are out of the normal hearing range of even those with normal hearing and tell what's being said -- and, lol, I have a lot of fun with that. :D

Thanks so much for that! I havnt tried EVP but I know exactly what you mean about reading people and the peripheral vision skills (which has also got me into a lot of trouble at times!). I wasnt born with hearing difficulties but always had a very developed visual sense (hence I was always good at art and drawing people) but since developing difficulty with my vision and hearing I have come to rely on my peripheral vision even more. Even more than this, its always been strange to me how I can take in more information and even 'see' things with my eyes closed, in fact I have come to rely on many other senses in negotiating the physical and non physical world. Before I retired on health grounds I was a trained nurse and worked with those who were unconscious or dying. I remember having conversations with patients and knowing their needs even though they couldnt speak to me. On one occassion l knew one elderly man needed me because I saw him walking over to me (even though his physical body was in bed). When I got to him I found he was breathing his last and I sat and talked to him for some time before he went over, holding his hand and reassuring him. Ive had many other incidents like this in my life. Other people have thought this is weird, I tend to think its weird not to use all 6 or more of ones senses!
Anyway, these were the things that first brought me into investigating the paranormal world. Because I can 'see' and feel energies coming off of places and people, my friends have called on me in the past to investigate paranormal activity in places. Like a human dowsing rod!
There's a lot more to it than this but my physical eyes wont allow more right now!

It sounds like your patients were very lucky to have you as a nurse! I wouldn't be surprised if your 6th sense has prolonged a lot of lives too but just knowing ahead of time for one reason or another, due to your special ability, that a patient of yours was ready to expire -- and then being there at that moment to hold their hand when that happened... well, this brings tears to my eyes. It's so clear that you were born to be a nurse and I'm guessing you must miss that.

On the other hand, I'm sure many times during your in your career you experienced "information overload" because of how you are -- an empath. You probably went through times when you felt 'burnt out' or exhausted after a full days work because of this -- so probably, in that sense, you don't miss it at all.

I'm so glad you're here!

Thanks for sharing! :)

Thanks for your kind words. Yes and no I do miss nursing, very mixed. Since those days Ive learnt how to look after myself so no longer get burnt out. I trained after nursing as a Counsellor and therapist so had to learn how to deal with people's stuff. Certainly my ability to empath has taught me how to deal even with the most difficult of people! I can see the real person hidden underneath, reach in so to speak.
Once again thanks for replying and understanding. Being disabled now I cant get out much so enjoy this forum and being able to chat about subjects of great interest.
Blessings :)

You're welcome dianadee and it's great that you're finding those topics that are discussed in this forum as fascinating as I do! One thing for sure, your professional background as a healer and counselor as well as your special abilities as an empath and as one who is very conscious of the unseen world around us has contributed greatly to those conversations here on this board. I can already see that this is so even though I'm rather new here! Glad you're here! :)

Back