• NEW! LOWEST RATES EVER -- SUPPORT THE SHOW AND ENJOY THE VERY BEST PREMIUM PARACAST EXPERIENCE! Welcome to The Paracast+, eight years young! For a low subscription fee, you can download the ad-free version of The Paracast and the exclusive, member-only, After The Paracast bonus podcast, featuring color commentary, exclusive interviews, the continuation of interviews that began on the main episode of The Paracast. We also offer lifetime memberships! Flash! Take advantage of our lowest rates ever! Act now! It's easier than ever to susbcribe! You can sign up right here!

Subscribe to The Paracast Newsletter!

My first sighting as an adult! 121112 (Pictures) Kristianstad - Sweden

Free versions of recent episodes:

cq0

Skilled Investigator
Hello! I have for a long time been interested in Ufos but I have never seen one. This night I think i saw my first and I am still excited. Not excited that this was aliens but to have seen my first UFO and I would like your help to identify it.

I was sitting at my computer looking at Jericho when I looked out of the window and i saw an orange light. It almost looked like it was burning, that is how bright it was. I just stood there and gazed at it for maybe 1 min and then I decided to grab my camera. I shoot three pictures of it. One with no zoom and two with full zoom.

Right after the sighting when I could no longer see the burning light i checked at a Swedish weather site to see how it was blowing and it said that it was blowing West. The object was heading East!!! So if the weather service is not wrong then this had to have some kind of motor.

I will give more information if you have questions but we can start with this.
Here are the three pictures!

p8lzB.jpg

e9rkf.jpg

9zrF6.jpg

I'm no analyst and I've never seen a UFO. It's a shame it's so far away - have you blown the image up at all?
I suppose you will be familiar with normal sky traffic at that location, i.e you know the type of aircraft usually to be found there. That alone does not help but it's a start if an object immediately looks different than the objects you'd usually see there.

Did anyone else see this object? Report it? Was it in the local media etc?

Great post and lucky you!

So far your evidence suggests that what you saw was a UAP ( Unidentified Aerial Phenomena ), a designation introduced by NARCAP to differentiate strange objects in the sky from other types of objects including UFOs, which are most commonly associated alien craft. The official and unofficial definitions for the word UFO also associate UFOs with alien craft either directly or by logical inference. However it is not uncommon for the word to be misunderstood or misused because those who aren't familiar with its actual meaning assume it means the same thing as the words used to form the acronym ( it doesn't ).

Most simply put, the word "UFO" is synonymous with "flying saucer" or other unknown craft characterized by appearance/performance that cannot be explained by any manmade or natural phenomena, combined with a sufficient amount of information for that determination to made with reasonable certainty. In other words the word UFO is meant to convey the idea of an alien craft. A vague light off in the distance therefore does not fit the definition of UFO. You can read the full word history here. Do you have any other information to add to your report that would suggest the object was in fact a UFO. For example, sudden incredible bursts of speed, instantaneous high speed sharp angular turns, or sudden deceleration from very high velocity?

I'm no analyst and I've never seen a UFO. It's a shame it's so far away - have you blown the image up at all?
I suppose you will be familiar with normal sky traffic at that location, i.e you know the type of aircraft usually to be found there. That alone does not help but it's a start if an object immediately looks different than the objects you'd usually see there.

Did anyone else see this object? Report it? Was it in the local media etc?

Great post and lucky you!

It has not yet been posted in the local media but I am keeping track of it. To my knowledge I am the only one that saw this object yesterday but I'm hoping for something in the media. I am very familiar with the air traffic in the area and I know for a fact that this was not a plane.

The only thing I'm not 100% sure with is if this could have been a flying Chinese lantern. I have seen these before but then they have been more yellow to the color. Perhaps this was an Orange Chinese lantern.

So far your evidence suggests that what you saw was a UAP ( Unidentified Aerial Phenomena ), a designation introduced by NARCAP to differentiate strange objects in the sky from other types of objects including UFOs, which are most commonly associated alien craft. The official and unofficial definitions for the word UFO also associate UFOs with alien craft either directly or by logical inference. However it is not uncommon for the word to be misunderstood or misused because those who aren't familiar with its actual meaning assume it means the same thing as the words used to form the acronym ( it doesn't ).

Most simply put, the word "UFO" is synonymous with "flying saucer" or other unknown craft characterized by appearance/performance that cannot be explained by any manmade or natural phenomena, combined with a sufficient amount of information for that determination to made with reasonable certainty. In other words the word UFO is meant to convey the idea of an alien craft. A vague light off in the distance therefore does not fit the definition of UFO. You can read the full word history here. Do you have any other information to add to your report that would suggest the object was in fact a UFO. For example, sudden incredible bursts of speed, instantaneous high speed sharp angular turns, or sudden deceleration from very high velocity?

I have never heard of the term UAP before but if this is how it works then yes it was a UAP. I have always believed that "UFO" stood for unidentified flying object and this is the definition I have been using.

Nope I do not have any more information to suggest this to be an alien craft or "flying saucer". This was a light in the distance that I know not to be a plane and was according to the local weather not going in the direction of the wind. Therefore could not have been a Chinese lantern.

A friend of mine have seen a similar sighting earlier this year flying over Kristianstad with a bright burning orange colour.

I have never heard of the term UAP before but if this is how it works then yes it was a UAP. I have always believed that "UFO" stood for unidentified flying object and this is the definition I have been using. Nope I do not have any more information to suggest this to be an alien craft or "flying saucer". This was a light in the distance that I know not to be a plane and was according to the local weather not going in the direction of the wind. Therefore could not have been a Chinese lantern. A friend of mine have seen a similar sighting earlier this year flying over Kristianstad with a bright burning orange colour.

You are correct that the word UFO stands for "Unidentified Flying Object". However that is different than the definition. I'll explain a little more below, but first I'd like to thank you for being so understanding. Folks like yourself are certainly blameless because the word's origin, history, and definition has a convoluted past wrapped up in military jargon, and skeptics capitalize on this situation by making statements like, "What is a UFO? It's an Unidentified Flying Object. Well if it's unidentified then we don't know what it is. It could be anything ... End of conversation!" Although such statements are entirely untrue, if not somewhat arrogant, at first glance they seem sensible, so it gets around and people like yourself are wrongly misled. Unfortunately it gets even worse.

The word UFO has become a football in the skeptic's propaganda war against ufology. So it's not just a matter of innocent misinterpretation. It's part of a deliberate strategy to marginalize ufology. How can we say this with any certainty? First off, there are plenty of examples, a popular version of which I've included in the video below. Many such skeptics are very smart people ( including scientists ) and therefore it would not be reasonable to believe that they don't know what they are doing. After all, if I can figure this out using independent and objective information, surely they can too. Also I've alerted skeptics ( e.g. on the JREF ) to the problem, but they willfully ignore it and continue spreading the misinformation anyway, while their popular skeptics use their and influence to unfairly stigmatize and marginalize ufology.

Neil deGrasse Tyson at the JREF Amazing Meeting 6
cleverly spreading the misinformation.
Tyson is a good presenter.
Too bad he engages in tacics of mockery and misinformation.

The Definition of UFO Explained Objectively:

To use a similar example, consider the word radar and try to forget that you already know what it is. The word RADAR is also an acronym. It stands for "Radio Detection And Ranging", however radar has nothing to do with detecting radios and ranging them. For that matter it doesn't have anything to with your typical radio. It has to with radio waves, and the word "radio" itself comes from the phrase "electromagnetic radiation". But even when we know that, if we don't already know what a radar is, we still don't know any more about radar than we did before. The same thing is true with the word "UFO". Both "Unidentified Flying Object" and "UFO" are labels for something as yet undefined, and that something needs to be defined before we can say we have a proper definition. Here is a good example of how the actual definition breaks down using a common dictionary.

Encarta:

UFO
Unidentified Flying Object: a flying object that cannot be identified and is thought by some to be an alien spacecraft.
[Mid-20th century. Acronym formed from unidentified flying object.]

Unidentified Flying Object:
flying saucer, spaceship, alien craft, UFO, unidentified flying object

Flying Saucer:
disk-shaped UFO: a disk-shaped flying object believed to be an extraterrestrial spacecraft.

When formulating the definition on the USI website, Encarta was only one of several dictionaries used. The word was also traced back through formerly classified documents to its origins in the USAF. In the end, all definitions boil down to the same thing ( alien craft ). Thanks again for allowing me the opportunity to keep this issue clear.

After reading your posts I was reminded of the swedish ghost rocket wave in '47...before my time :) ... are you familiar with this location ?

Swedish Team Hunts For Ghost Rocket In Lake Nammajaure

The UFO Iconoclast(s): Ghost Rockets -- resurgent in Sweden.....

I'm sorry to say that I have never been to that part of Sweden. I live in the lower part of Sweden. I have been a close reader of UFO-Sweden for some time and I know the founder Clas Swan. I can't say that I like the man because of articles that I have read written by him.

UFO-Sweden deserves a smarter man, a man who looks into international UFO-cases more and not only focus on Sweden.

I will stay updated and keep you updated here on The Paracast if I receive more information about the case.

You are correct that the word UFO stands for "Unidentified Flying Object". However that is different than the definition. I'll explain a little more below, but first I'd like to thank you for being so understanding. Folks like yourself are certainly blameless because the word's origin, history, and definition has a convoluted past wrapped up in military jargon, and skeptics capitalize on this situation by making statements like, "What is a UFO? It's an Unidentified Flying Object. Well if it's unidentified then we don't know what it is. It could be anything ... End of conversation!" Although such statements are entirely untrue, if not somewhat arrogant, at first glance they seem sensible, so it gets around and people like yourself are wrongly misled. Unfortunately it gets even worse.

The word UFO has become a football in the skeptic's propaganda war against ufology. So it's not just a matter of innocent misinterpretation. It's part of a deliberate strategy to marginalize ufology. How can we say this with any certainty? First off, there are plenty of examples, a popular version of which I've included in the video below. Many such skeptics are very smart people ( including scientists ) and therefore it would not be reasonable to believe that they don't know what they are doing. After all, if I can figure this out using independent and objective information, surely they can too. Also I've alerted skeptics ( e.g. on the JREF ) to the problem, but they willfully ignore it and continue spreading the misinformation anyway, while their popular skeptics use their and influence to unfairly stigmatize and marginalize ufology.

Neil deGrasse Tyson at the JREF Amazing Meeting 6
cleverly spreading the misinformation.
Tyson is a good presenter.
Too bad he engages in tacics of mockery and misinformation.

The Definition of UFO Explained Objectively:

To use a similar example, consider the word radar and try to forget that you already know what it is. The word RADAR is also an acronym. It stands for "Radio Detection And Ranging", however radar has nothing to do with detecting radios and ranging them. For that matter it doesn't have anything to with your typical radio. It has to with radio waves, and the word "radio" itself comes from the phrase "electromagnetic radiation". But even when we know that, if we don't already know what a radar is, we still don't know any more about radar than we did before. The same thing is true with the word "UFO". Both "Unidentified Flying Object" and "UFO" are labels for something as yet undefined, and that something needs to be defined before we can say we have a proper definition. Here is a good example of how the actual definition breaks down using a common dictionary.

Encarta:

UFO
Unidentified Flying Object: a flying object that cannot be identified and is thought by some to be an alien spacecraft.
[Mid-20th century. Acronym formed from unidentified flying object.]

Unidentified Flying Object:
flying saucer, spaceship, alien craft, UFO, unidentified flying object

Flying Saucer:
disk-shaped UFO: a disk-shaped flying object believed to be an extraterrestrial spacecraft.

When formulating the definition on the USI website, Encarta was only one of several dictionaries used. The word was also traced back through formerly classified documents to its origins in the USAF. In the end, all definitions boil down to the same thing ( alien craft ). Thanks again for allowing me the opportunity to keep this issue clear.

Thank you for the information. I can however not promise you that I will start using your terminology. I am so used to say UFO that it will be hard to change! :D Have a nice day

Back