• NEW! LOWEST RATES EVER -- SUPPORT THE SHOW AND ENJOY THE VERY BEST PREMIUM PARACAST EXPERIENCE! Welcome to The Paracast+, eight years young! For a low subscription fee, you can download the ad-free version of The Paracast and the exclusive, member-only, After The Paracast bonus podcast, featuring color commentary, exclusive interviews, the continuation of interviews that began on the main episode of The Paracast. We also offer lifetime memberships! Flash! Take advantage of our lowest rates ever! Act now! It's easier than ever to susbcribe! You can sign up right here!

Subscribe to The Paracast Newsletter!

My First Experience with the Paranormal

GhostSensor3000

Skilled Investigator
I was four years old when I had my first experience. And yes, I have very good memories from my childhood. Some I remember better than others. And this is one I clearly remember.

To set the stage, I want to let you, the readers know that my mother died of cancer when I was three years old, and to make a long story short, my father made several bad choices at the time. It doesn't mean he was a bad man, and we still loved him until the day he died, but remarrying to our stepmother that year was one of those bad choices. Another story for another forum.

Now, on to my first experience...

Me, one of my older brothers, two of my older sisters, and step mother were watching TV in our family room. I think it was around three or four in the afternoon on a Saturday. My father was in the kitchen behind us making dinner. He had a direct view into the family room.

My brother stopped watching TV, his mouth dropped open, and he pointed towards a shelf that sat just to the right of the television. On it sat a milk glass flower vase holding several plastic flowers. It wasn't the vase he was pointing to, but the plastic flower hanging by itself in mid air, a little ways out from the shelf.

Everyone stopped watching TV and gathered around the suspended plastic flower. It was at the height of an adult's hands, as if someone we couldn't see was holding the flower.

My father rushed in from the kitchen to see what what everyone was looking at. Petals began plucking themselves out one by one. One would hang in mid air, and then drop to the floor. This continued for several minutes. Everyone watched in stunned silence. My step mother screamed and retreated to her bedroom, and my father ran after her to console her.

After she and my dad left the room, the petals stopped plucking, and the flower dropped to the floor. Nobody knew what to say, and we all went back to what we were doing, and eventually everyone put it out or their minds. But none of us that were present that day ever forgot that moment.

Nobody spoke of the incident until years later. I was in my early teens when my oldest brother brought it up at a family gathering. Our theory was that it was possibly the spirit of my deceased mother, and that she wasn't happy with the way things were going at the time. None of us really knew for sure if it was our mother, but it seems the likely that it was her.

Needless to say, my father and stepmother divorced about two years later.

And that's my first in many experiences throughout my life.

Last edited:
How else do you connect this experience to the shared family trauma, aside from the theory of the mom ghost coming back to make a point? Trauma and paranormality seem to have some very interesting intersections and your narrative seems to be a primary example of such notions. Are there other paranormal experiences that happened in the house with multiple witnesses, and that you connect to your family history?

Do you ever consider the possibility of a collective group conjuring, the ways that groups of people move a planchette on a ouija board or how that other group conjured up Phillip?

How else do you connect this experience to the shared family trauma, aside from the theory of the mom ghost coming back to make a point? Trauma and paranormality seem to have some very interesting intersections and your narrative seems to be a primary example of such notions. Are there other paranormal experiences that happened in the house with multiple witnesses, and that you connect to your family history?

Interesting point. Later that year, me and my sister were looking at a photo album and came upon a picture of my mother when she was about eight years old. She had had on a blue and white dress and braided pigtails. It was beautiful picture. My stepmother saw the picture we were looking at and freaked again. She burst into tears and stormed out the house.

Later, my brother told us that our stepmother "Katy" had seen this little girl running around outside the house for several days. Katy said the little girl was constantly looking in the windows and she would catch the little girl looking at her. I definitely think my mother was trying to tell my stepmother Katy something. It probably had something to do with the way she was treating us at the time.

As far as a group conjuring...I've never considered it, but may look into it. Although I tend to stay away from ouija boards. It has to do with another experience I had with a ouija board while I was in college. Kind of freaked me out at the time. I'll save that story for another post.

Now, on to my first experience...

Well, I was sitting outside enjoying a nice beer and a cigar on a warm summer night and now I'm completely creeped out by the details of your excellent accounting hahaha...thanks!

I'm a firm believer in the presence of the spirit world and the concept of family spirits taking on possessory and/or protective roles. Your story is clearly no different.

If there is such a thing as "feeling" the presence of a diseased loved one, I'm interested to know did your mother ever appeared to you in your dreams to explain any of her actions? The flower event is wildly evidentiary of your mother's efforts, buy I'm curious to know if she ever expressed this to you either through signs or dreams.

Yes. Absolutely. My mother had appeared to me multiple times in my dreams. When I was about 18 I dreamed I saw her standing over me. She bent down to kiss me on the cheek. I snapped awake and was facing the exact same position and direction where my mother had been standing.

Also, a couple of years later (Thanksgiving, 1991), I was dreaming I was three or four years old (the age I was when my mother died) and was playing around in an empty, in ground swimming pool. My mother appeared by the side of the pool. She was dressed in red slacks and top, and reached out her arms to me. I ran to her, and she told me 'everything was gonna be okay.' I woke to my sisters' and brothers' voices over me. When I opened my eyes, they told me our father had passed away that morning.

There are more experiences like these, but those are two that stand out immediately.

Back