• NEW! LOWEST RATES EVER -- SUPPORT THE SHOW AND ENJOY THE VERY BEST PREMIUM PARACAST EXPERIENCE! Welcome to The Paracast+, eight years young! For a low subscription fee, you can download the ad-free version of The Paracast and the exclusive, member-only, After The Paracast bonus podcast, featuring color commentary, exclusive interviews, the continuation of interviews that began on the main episode of The Paracast. We also offer lifetime memberships! Flash! Take advantage of our lowest rates ever! Act now! It's easier than ever to susbcribe! You can sign up right here!

Subscribe to The Paracast Newsletter!

My dog saw "Something"

hemi

Skilled Investigator
When I was younger my family and friends often had get-to-gathers and on this particular one our family dog acted very strange. Our dog was very intelligent and had know prior odd behavior. We were all downstairs enjoying playing board game and telling old jokes about each other and our dog was being a dog and getting into everyone's business so we had told him to go to his room, which he did. Upon getting to his room we heard him bark and looked over to his door to his room and watched him growling with his teeth showing at his room while he was backing away. His hair was standing on end. We all got up and looked into his room but there was nothing there to be seen. it was a very weird experience and to this day stands in my mind as strange.

When I was younger my family and friends often had get-to-gathers and on this particular one our family dog acted very strange. Our dog was very intelligent and had know prior odd behavior. We were all downstairs enjoying playing board game and telling old jokes about each other and our dog was being a dog and getting into everyone's business so we had told him to go to his room, which he did. Upon getting to his room we heard him bark and looked over to his door to his room and watched him growling with his teeth showing at his room while he was backing away. His hair was standing on end. We all got up and looked into his room but there was nothing there to be seen. it was a very weird experience and to this day stands in my mind as strange.

It could have been a mouse or even something as small as a fly - I have seen that happen.

It could have been a mouse or even something as small as a fly - I have seen that happen.

haha, you know in all the years I never thought of that. Don't I feel silly now. Always rule out the plausible before looking into the supernatural. Thank you for your perspective.

haha, you know in all the years I never thought of that. Don't I feel silly now. Always rule out the plausible before looking into the supernatural. Thank you for your perspective.

I try to do that, but I tend to annoy some people with that type of perspective sometimes :)
I'm glad I could help.
You should see how nutty my cat acts sometimes - some would be inclined to think that I have a poltergeist or something.

I try to do that, but I tend to annoy some people with that type of perspective sometimes :)
I'm glad I could help.
You should see how nutty my cat acts sometimes - some would be inclined to think that I have a poltergeist or something.

Do you believe that animals are more sensitive to ghosts or supernatural beings if they exist? I have heard that theory time and time again. If ghost exist there may be something to that theory.

Do you believe that animals are more sensitive to ghosts or supernatural beings if they exist? I have heard that theory time and time again. If ghost exist there may be something to that theory.

Animals seem to be more sensitive to their surroundings. Just look at what a cat or a dog does before a storm although I'm not sure if any thorough studies have been done in the matter. However, since I've seen nothing to show me that supernatural beings exist, I don't believe that they do.

Here in Hawaii some people believe that dogs can see spirits. And my (late) dog occasionally would stare at something where I couldn't see anything. But dogs and people have different sense abilities (their senses of smell and hearing are better than ours, but their eyesight is worse) so it sometimes happens that they perceive something where we don't, and vice versa. That's why we make a good team.

You know I called my Dad after I put this up. We started to talk about this and he made a good point. We never had mice in our house and our dog would always try to catch a fly if one got into our house. Now I'm not saying it was a ghost (which I do believe in but on this night we did not see anything so to say it was a ghost so without evidence would be foolish) that was in his room but the case for mice or insects really don't stand up. Still remains a strange event and also remains unexplained in my eyes.

Who knows if animals can hallucinate ? Without chemical help that is.

This one seems to have very vivid dreams:

I could see animals hallucinating. The only argument I can but forth is that this dog had no history of any "bizarre" behavior. On the contrary he was very smart for being a dog.

Not necessarily a hallucination, but it could have been a very vivid dream (chasing a cat maybe?). When our dog was asleep she would sometimes jerk or move her legs. Never as much as in the video though!

Not necessarily a hallucination, but it could have been a very vivid dream (chasing a cat maybe?). When our dog was asleep she would sometimes jerk or move her legs. Never as much as in the video though!

I have a Labrador puppy right now (named Oscar, just fyi ;) )and boy, do I love him!

My parents had a Yorkshire terrier whilst I was growing up, loved the hell out of her too, but this puppy owns all (hides shoes and books).

We were all downstairs enjoying playing board game and telling old jokes about each other and our dog was being a dog and getting into everyone's business so we had told him to go to his room, which he did. Upon getting to his room we heard him bark and looked over to his door to his room and watched him growling with his teeth showing at his room while he was backing away. His hair was standing on end. We all got up and looked into his room but there was nothing there to be seen. it was a very weird experience and to this day stands in my mind as strange.

Easy one. He was putting on an act to convince you he was safer with you downstairs. Clever dog. :)

He/she was probably pissed that you wasted your time with a psychic instead of spending it at home petting the cat.

Yup. She probably was like "what the hell do you need a psychic for? You already got ME!?" :D

I'm afraid my own cat, Lucky, isn't psychic at all, though. He just pretends to be very mysterious and trained in the martial arts.

Dogs and cats see and sense in levels most humans cannot.
I've raised both cats and dogs (love them both) and know that both would attack flies and mice without being trained to so, it is a natural thing they do.
What ever your dog saw it was not a fly or a mouse my friend.
Bristling hair, baring of teeth and growling is a defensive posture and notes a warning of an imminent attack by the dog.
The dog obviously felt threatened, a fly or a mouse would not invoke such a response.
What ever it was that your dog saw or sensed rest assured it was not a fly or a mouse.

Meow.jpg
"Now where's that damned dog?!'​

Ive had animals all my life, grandad was a vet, and also had a cattery where people boarded their cats while on holidays.
Ive owned a litteral pack of dogs for decades now, many pound rescues.
I have a big enough property and i'm happy to share it with them.

Dogs do feel fear, just like us. And like us they can sometimes make the mistake that something scary is present when its not, ive seen the OP behaviour myself on rare occasions.

I have had what we might describe as psychic dogs too, one guy even if his head was turned away would wag his tail and look at me if i simply looked at him and thought to myself, what a handsome creature you are. He was somehow able to pick up on this consistantly

Ive had animals all my life, grandad was a vet, and also had a cattery where people boarded their cats while on holidays.
Ive owned a litteral pack of dogs for decades now, many pound rescues.
I have a big enough property and i'm happy to share it with them.

Dogs do feel fear, just like us. And like us they can sometimes make the mistake that something scary is present when its not, ive seen the OP behaviour myself on rare occasions.

I have had what we might describe as psychic dogs too, one guy even if his head was turned away would wag his tail and look at me if i simply looked at him and thought to myself, what a handsome creature you are. He was somehow able to pick up on this consistantly

Yes Mike you are right, like us not all of them are so fine tuned.
But out of twenty five dogs and seven cats over the years. I have never seen that reaction, without a cause, and never from something so common as flies or mice.
But then none of my pet's were ever abused as some rescued animals sometimes are.
The psychic ones were always the females, but as I am sure you know they are all telepathic.
Which of course is why regardless of the language we speak to them they understand us.

Back