• NEW! LOWEST RATES EVER -- SUPPORT THE SHOW AND ENJOY THE VERY BEST PREMIUM PARACAST EXPERIENCE! Welcome to The Paracast+, eight years young! For a low subscription fee, you can download the ad-free version of The Paracast and the exclusive, member-only, After The Paracast bonus podcast, featuring color commentary, exclusive interviews, the continuation of interviews that began on the main episode of The Paracast. We also offer lifetime memberships! Flash! Take advantage of our lowest rates ever! Act now! It's easier than ever to susbcribe! You can sign up right here!

Subscribe to The Paracast Newsletter!

my cat acts REALLY scared - at nothing

mikec

Skilled Investigator
A few nights ago I was alone in my little cabin sitting on the couch watching a DVD, my cat was sitting next to me, as always. Suddenly I was aware that she was acting really scared. She got into this really scrunched-up defensive pose and her tail poofed up huge. The hair along her back was sticking straight up. I tried to pet her to calm her down, but she didn’t respond at all. I could feel her back was rigid with tension. I leaned over and looked at her face, and her eyes were entirely dilated and black.

She wasn’t moving, and she was entirely focused at an empty spot the center of the room just a few yards in front of the couch.

I saw nothing, but my cat's overt display meant something.

I got up and walked around the house, and when I stood in the living room in front of the couch I could see right where here she was focused. She stayed frozen in that anxious pose with her eyes fixed on an empty spot right in the center of the room.

Am I paranoid? Should I worry? It went on for like 10 minutes. Eventually, she changed her posture, and she jumped down from the couch and sat under the coffee table, still focusing on that empty spot. At this point I was up and walking around, but she wasn’t following me at my ankles, and that is unusual.

There is a skittish side to my cat, and I’ve never seen her act like this. I've seen her deal with big dogs and loud noises, I know how she reacts to those kinds of stimulus, she’ll run upstairs and hide. After about 20 minutes she was her regular self again, zipping around the house and begging for attention.

I wrote this up because the event seemed decidedly unusual. It came on the heels of a very intense few weeks of heavy self examination culminating in a very real acceptance of my memories and their implications. Maybe this means nothing, and I'm articulating an underlying paranoia that comes with my journey.

My cat’s intensity was so acute that I absolutely KNEW something was in the room.

When I was up from the couch and standing in the middle of the main room, I sort of stared into the empty spot that my cat was all focused on and I said (out loud) that I felt strong and confident. I said (firmly) if you have anything to say to me, I respond well when I receive messages in my sleep, so please communicate that way. (that said, nothing happened in my dreams that night)

This speaks to where I'm at these days. It felt absolutely normal to speak firmly and confidently at an empty spot on my living room rug.

I realize that this little story doesn't amount to much, but there was something unusual about the whole thing.

Also: The movie on the DVD was THE HUSTLER (1961). This is an amazing movie, and maybe there is relevance. It's a story about deception.

And - Jackie Gleason, has an interesting place in UFO history. He was well-known as quite and aficionado on the UFO subject, and late one night (as the story goes) he went with his golfing pal Richard Nixon to an air-force base to view little alien bodies, supposedly from Roswell.

I think you may be reading more into that event than you should. While cats & dogs and probably all kinds of other animals may react to stimuli that we humans cannot sense, it does not mean that the stimuli is anything supernatural or paranormal. It could have been a reaction to an internal stimulus as well. It's also possible that there was an outdoor noise that she heard which you did not hear.

I know that my cat will react to lightening before it even strikes. It's as if she can feel the electricity charge in the air. I can't prove that's what it is, but it looks funny to see her run and hide under the bed seconds before a strike on a consistent basis.

- Reply to Xylo -

Yes, of course, I agree. It is quite probably nothing at all. My logical side of my brain says it was nothing at all.

But, the intuitive side of my brain won't let this story go. It was genuinely curious.

My cat’s intensity was so acute that I absolutely KNEW something was in the room.

I'm with you on this. I've had several cats that appeared to be chasing things around that couldn't be seen, and one that reacted something like you're describing here in a situation where nothing was obvious.

It seems clear to me that cats (and probably a number of other mammals, at least) are more openly aware of the range of experience that mediums and psychics tell us about. Every psychic that I trust has told me these are abilities anyone can access if we would just teach ourselves how.

And, no, I'm not pointing anyone at a particular method, and I'm not selling some "psychic awakening" package. Let the shopper beware.

Could it be because of fluctuations in temperature or the electro-magnetic field? Any idea if animals can sense those changes better than we do?

my cat stares at a corner in my room constantly. She'll even go up to the corner every once in a while and bat it with her paw.

my cat "stares" at weird stuff and strange areas of the room everyday. i suspect she hears something she doesnt understand. sometimes she walks backwards while crouched real low and stays focused on a spot until she realizes nothing is there.... oh yeah.... she was born blind. it funny as hell watching her and her phantom creatures or watch her as she play fights with the two sighted cats i have.

Could it be because of fluctuations in temperature or the electro-magnetic field? Any idea if animals can sense those changes better than we do?

This wouldn't surprise me. You probably have heard the stories of horses sensing earthquakes before they can be detected by seismographic equipment, and so on.

I don't think cats can really think about what they are perceiving; they respond to it on instinct and whatever training their owners have been able to accomplish.

With the cats I've had, I feel confident they chase and play with things we can't see or otherwise perceive. Ghost cats? Something we can't even imagine?

As for the abduction thought, Schuyler, I'm ... not going there.

Maybe what scares one cat wouldn't scare another?

I came out of my laundry room late one night and bent over to pet one of my cats sitting in a chair in the kitchen. I heard a loud growling, just like a dog who felt threatened. The cat heard it too. She looked toward the sound in the hallway just before I did, but she remained calm. We had no dog at the time.

But my cat was one who'd come in off the streets where other wild critters, whizzing traffic and inclement weather scared her pretty bad. A ghost dog was nothin.'

I've observed a cat behaving strangely just before what was probably the most profoundly weird experience I've ever had. Ignore them at your own risk.
<input id="gwProxy" type="hidden"><!--Session data--><input onclick="jsCall();" id="jsProxy" type="hidden">

I've observed a cat behaving strangely just before what was probably the most profoundly weird experience I've ever had. Ignore them at your own risk.
<input id="gwProxy" type="hidden"><!--Session data--><input onclick="jsCall();" id="jsProxy" type="hidden">

i agree. trust your cat, and your dog too.

Attn: Skunk-Ape,

WHAT? What do you mean? Did I miss something (I love this kind of stuff) Please tell us more...

I practiced meditation for a while, about 2 years. It got to the point where I could achieve what they call "astral projection," whatever that is, probably just self-induced lucid dreaming. I stopped the activity when paranormal shit began happening. In the middle of the day, at work or in the gym, I'd enter spontaneous trance states. I could feel electrical charges running throughout my body. A number of times, I heard voices out loud, just like normal voices (not originating in my imagination). Twice, my cat reacted to these voices. One of the times, a voice from the kitchen area said my name, loud and distinct. My cat raised its head and looked at the kitchen, clearly startled. We both stared at the kitchen and then back at each other, as though we both were aware of something unusual. Another time, I heard a loud cat meow. We both reacted to that, too.

To add on to this whole subject I would like to post my story. Me and my GF just moved in to our new apartment, happy as all can be. The first two days were great(we both come from houses that are haunted without a doubt in our mind)..we were looking forward to moving close to work and living in a house that didnt make you feel uncomfortable. Well after the first 2 days we started hearing weird knocks and stomps but just blamed it on the walls. We also starting loosing things and finding them in areas we didnt put them in. We are still trying to find a few things that are no where in sight. The house has a deadbolt and a standard lock, all the windows are locked, we are on the second floor..no one has access to get in but us. Well with that said my cat Jade who is a siamese blue point has just experienced something that scared her to the point she doesnt even enter my room anymore. This started with my gf laying on the bed(she felt paws on the end of the bed...or preasure of some sort), she called out to the cats and turned but they were on top of the dresser. She just blew it off like it was nothing and went back to her nap. Jade from what she said was stairing where she felt whatever preasure/paws was located, soon after she walked over to that location(i was in the room at this time) and she started sniffing around and all of a sudden she got nudged(i have it on video) and she freaked out and ran out of the room. I brought her in a few time to see if it would happen again and it did. She doesnt even sleep with us anymore she lays outside the bedroom door and meows until we get out of the room. This would of been fine if it was just that one spot next to the bed...it seems to be scared of the whole room now to the point her hair raises up and when you go to pet her she jumps and runs(like you just scared her). There was a few nights the room(house) felt very dense but not overwhelming. There was also a time my gf got woken up because she heard a big bang next to her head on the floor like someone dropped something. Again I dont know how i could possibly blame this on some type of scientific theory when I have experienced stuff like this all my life....my family has...her family has....its just weird, and i would like for it to stop...lol

Back