• NEW! LOWEST RATES EVER -- SUPPORT THE SHOW AND ENJOY THE VERY BEST PREMIUM PARACAST EXPERIENCE! Welcome to The Paracast+, eight years young! For a low subscription fee, you can download the ad-free version of The Paracast and the exclusive, member-only, After The Paracast bonus podcast, featuring color commentary, exclusive interviews, the continuation of interviews that began on the main episode of The Paracast. We also offer lifetime memberships! Flash! Take advantage of our lowest rates ever! Act now! It's easier than ever to susbcribe! You can sign up right here!

Subscribe to The Paracast Newsletter!

Moving Egyptian statue

I totally just read this one! Soo weird. Although my first thoughts are some kind of vibration or something is shifting it. The article I read here also suggested some kind of magnetic force. What I find strange is that it only started to happen recently, it only happens during the daylight hours and it doesn't wobble or anything, it (if I am reading this correctly) just glides in a circle.

The daylight hours thing makes me think it's mundane, because you figure if it's something paranormal then it wouldn't care what time of day it was. But who knows. Either way, it's an interesting story. I would first look to any recent changes made to the museum or surrounding area. Maybe some construction or renovation that might have altered something. It's also so weird that the other statues on the same shelf don't seem to move at all, but they could be different weights and textures.

I think we need to consult Dr. Jones.
3rkzuq.jpg

I'd put a cloth under the statue or even move it to another level surface. Chances are it won't rotate if the set-up changes. It probably is just some subtle vibration or friction thing happening.

What is interesting though is the speed (or lack thereof) cos I wouldn't expect a vibration to move something so slowly. You have to figure if it's gonna move at all due to vibrations it will move more quickly. There has to be a minimum amount of kinetic energy or no single vibration would cause any movement at all, as it could not overcome the friction, which must be considerable judging by the size and material.

Definitely needs moving so a control experiment can be performed. By the sounds of it, it's never happened before so you have to wonder what's new in the environment? New road nearby? Building work? All that kind of thing needs to be investigated too.:)

Those are all interesting theories but nothing else has been reported as moving. I thought the same thing Goggs did, road traffic , a rail line, but whatever the catalyst it seems only to effect this particular statue. If it was a weight issue it seems like the other curiosities would at least move a little even if not as much. Maybe the statue is made with some near frictionless material. This substance would have come in handy when they built their great monuments.

My bet is it is cause by drilling or tunneling, the museum is situated in the grounds of Manchester university* and next to a busy road (Oxford road).
I would like to know the exact weight of the statue because I have read that it is made from "steatite" aka "soapstone". my point being the lower the weight the less vibration needed to move it.

although the statue in question has a flat base, it is carved in the classical Egyptian style with the left leg forward, suggesting to me that if vibration was applied from below it would cause the rotation seen in the video.

after a bit of searching I found this at the museums own website

"So we can make some improvements to our Ancient Worlds galleries, parts of Ancient Worlds will be closed on the following dates:

Mon 15 Apr-Wed 1 May 2013: Discovering Archaeology gallery will be closed*"

The time/date code in the video reads 2013/04/03 which I think is the 3rd of April.
in a nutshell I think there was "construction" work going on, probably involving drilling or grinding in the same building.

one other thing I noticed from the article is where it says:
"But it has been on those surfaces since we have had it and it has never moved before,"
The cabinet in question looks far more modern in style to one built in the 1930s(when the statue was acquired by the museum!) so the idea that "it has been on those surfaces since we have had it" is clearly wrong.

also construction work would also explain why it only happened in the day time.

*((source))Ancient Worlds (The University of Manchester)

Back