• NEW! LOWEST RATES EVER -- SUPPORT THE SHOW AND ENJOY THE VERY BEST PREMIUM PARACAST EXPERIENCE! Welcome to The Paracast+, eight years young! For a low subscription fee, you can download the ad-free version of The Paracast and the exclusive, member-only, After The Paracast bonus podcast, featuring color commentary, exclusive interviews, the continuation of interviews that began on the main episode of The Paracast. We also offer lifetime memberships! Flash! Take advantage of our lowest rates ever! Act now! It's easier than ever to susbcribe! You can sign up right here!

Subscribe to The Paracast Newsletter!

Movies

Tom Levine said:
On to your point about the slaughtered cow: My thought is that if its for real, it's upsetting, even if it's not graphic. When it's simulated, I feel safe, because subconsciously, I know they're all going out for pizza after the last take. Don't know if A.Now's cow was real...Will have to watch it again, although I'm kinda burned out by all the Vietnam movies from the 70's and 80's.

I looked it up - the cow was real. The tribe in the area they were filming agreed to let Copolla film a sacrificial ritual.

Rick Deckard said:
I looked it up - the cow was real. The tribe in the area they were filming agreed to let Copolla film a sacrificial ritual.

I tried watching that movie awhile back, but got bored and didn't finish it. I'm glad since I can't take animal violence. I am curious as to what happened though. How was the cow killed, and did they show it all clearly?

A.LeClair said:
I tried watching that movie awhile back, but got bored and didn't finish it. I'm glad since I can't take animal violence. I am curious as to what happened though. How was the cow killed, and did they show it all clearly?

They (the tribesmen) tethered it to a post and hacked into it's neck with large machetes - the film shows the entire sequence. Nothing is hidden.

Rick Deckard said:
They (the tribesmen) tethered it to a post and hacked into it's neck with large machetes - the film shows the entire sequence. Nothing is hidden.

I thought that was against the law? Animal cruelty in films etc. Was it not against the law back then? Or what was the loop hole? It being a real tribe and real sacrifice?

A.LeClair said:
I thought that was against the law? Animal cruelty in films etc. Was it not against the law back then? Or what was the loop hole? It being a real tribe and real sacrifice?

Animal cruelty for the purpose of the film would have been against the law - the tribe were gonna kill the cow anyway, so Coppola took the opportunity to film it and include it in the film...well, that's what I read on IMDB...

A.LeClair said:

Rick, you're going to love this. go straight to the source: STAGE 6: http://Stage6.divx.com/ . Do a search for movie or TV show of choice. It's like the YouTube of Divx. Wholly smoke. Time to cancel my Blockbuster total access ;)

This is not a horror movie, or is it? Considered by some as the most beautiful movie ever made, I found Samsara to be as disturbing as it was beautiful. This one goes into the category of others like Koyaanisqatsi, which was the first one I saw in this style of cinema.

Samsara Trailer

The bigger the screen the better.
Your PC, iPad, or iPhone
will not do it justice.

Last edited:
Robocop

Blade runner

Time bandits (kids film but really funny)

Les Visiteurs
(the visitors) comedy time travel

Bill and Ted (both films)

Fido

Gamer

They Live (one of the most underrated films imo)

And the one I would tell everybody that they should watch "The Running Man" (the original one) if you can forgive some hammy acting and a bit of Hollywood cheese, this is probably one of the best films I have ever seen.

I believe the most scary movie was The Exorcist. Still gives me the creeps.

Seem to remember hearing that a lot of strange things happened during the filming, which only adds to the scariness of the film for me.

Thank you for this post but my choice is far from yours, you like horror but I like comedy movies.
Now if this were just a comedy website ( and some days I wonder ). There's some ET type quasi-comedies, e.g. Paul. Maybe you've got one you'd like to suggest?

Back