• NEW! LOWEST RATES EVER -- SUPPORT THE SHOW AND ENJOY THE VERY BEST PREMIUM PARACAST EXPERIENCE! Welcome to The Paracast+, eight years young! For a low subscription fee, you can download the ad-free version of The Paracast and the exclusive, member-only, After The Paracast bonus podcast, featuring color commentary, exclusive interviews, the continuation of interviews that began on the main episode of The Paracast. We also offer lifetime memberships! Flash! Take advantage of our lowest rates ever! Act now! It's easier than ever to susbcribe! You can sign up right here!

Subscribe to The Paracast Newsletter!

Most Important Books on the UFO Topic

fysisist

skeptical cynic / cynical skeptic
Over the past few years I've become quite interested in exploring the UFO literature going back to the earliest days of the "modern" UFO era. I began collecting UFO books, first editions, out-of-print, etc. So I'm creating sort-of a list of the most important and influential work going back to the late 40's early 50's and up to present time. Here is what I have so far (not necessarily in any particular order).

1) Jacques Vallee: Forbidden Science, Messengers of Deception, Dimensions, Confrontations, Revelations. IMHO, Vallee is one of the most important researchers in the "field". He was a member of the Invisible College, with Hynek, et al. He was there when MacDonald and Hynek butted heads. He got his hands dirty, researching cases in South America, Europe, etc. A giant in the field. Even though he no longer wishes any involvement in UFOs because of it's de-evolution as a scientific topic, his work is a must read for any serious student of the field.

2) Edward Ruppelt: The Report on Unidentified Flying Objects. My take: A fascinating insight into Project Blue Book, by the man who seems to be the only open-minded, scientifically trained officer to ever head the project.

3) David Saunders: UFO's? Yes! Despite the silly title, a hugely important look from inside the Condon Committee. Shows how the stage was set for the military/government policy on UFOs for the next many years, probably up to the present day.

4) J. Allen Hynek: The UFO Experience: A Scientific Inquiry. Got the story straight from horse's mouth. Even though MacDonald continued to condemn Hynek to up to his death in 1971, there is no denying Hynek's importance and influence in the field IMO.

5) Dr. Frank Salisbury: The Utah UFO Display. I might be biased here because I grew up in SLC, but this little known book by a biologist researching cases in northeastern Utah in the 70's (does the Skinwalker Ranch ring a bell?) is very interesting.

6) Coral Lorenzen: The Great Flying Saucer Hoax (aka Flying Saucers the Startling Evidence of the Invasion from Outer Space). A look at APRO, which died in the 1980s I think.

7) D. Keyhoe: The Flying Saucers are Real. You can't pass this up since Keyhoe is the guy who really got the ball rolling on the gov't cover-up conspiracy.

So that is a short list of some of the books I've waded through over the past couple years. Then I've got a stack that I have yet to get through, Including:

1) Richard Hall: The UFO Evidence, The UFO Evidence Vol II
2) M.K. Jessup: The Case for the UFO
3) Frank Scully: Beyond the Flying Saucers.
4) Ray Stanford: Socorro Saucer in a Pentagon Pantry
5) Hynek: The Hynek UFO Report
6) Keyhoe: Aliens from Space

I've read more UFO books over the past few years then I can list here, but those are the standouts. Right now I'm reading Project Beta by G. Bishop. I recently finished Firestorm by A. Druffel, which is the biography of Dr. James MacDonald. I was not a fan of Ann Druffel but this is a truly importatant book about a truly important figure in the UFO field, who is generally overlooked. Anyway, be interested in other forum member's take on these and recommendations.

) Jacques Vallee: Even though he no longer wishes any involvement in UFOs because of it's de-evolution as a scientific topic, his work is a must read for any serious student of the field.

I agree with him on some points but basically don't recommend him.

4) J. Allen Hynek: The UFO Experience: A Scientific Inquiry.

5) Dr. Frank Salisbury: The Utah UFO Display.

Many books came out after the '73 wave e.g. the one by Blum, Beyond Earth.

6) Coral Lorenzen: The Great Flying Saucer Hoax (aka Flying Saucers the Startling Evidence of the Invasion from Outer Space). A look at APRO, which died in the 1980s I think.

Yep, along with her.

3) Frank Scully: Beyond the Flying Saucers.

I think that should be "Behind"...

4) Ray Stanford: Socorro Saucer in a Pentagon Pantry

An acquantance highly recommended it.

6) Keyhoe: Aliens from Space

Seems silly to me.

I'v Anyway, be interested in other forum member's take on these and recommendations.

Have you read Randle's books?

I agree with him on some points but basically don't recommend him.

Many books came out after the '73 wave e.g. the one by Blum, Beyond Earth.

Yep, along with her.

I think that should be "Behind"...

An acquantance highly recommended it.

Seems silly to me.

Have you read Randle's books?

Read a few of Randle's, but it's been some time. Most recently I read his work on the MJ-12 docs where he refutes many of Friedman's claims on authenticity. I read his blog occasionally. I believe he is one of the more credible and honest of present day UFO researchers. I think he has a new book either out now or soon.

I'll look into Blum's work, thanks for the tip.

My fascination with Vallee is based on what I perceive as his totally open-minded approach. I think this is exceedingly rare among Ph.D. scientists. He even gave Bill Cooper a fair hearing-out as far as I have been able to tell. I also respect him for pulling away from public involvement in the field when it seemed that personalities and egos were over-running any serious research.

Agreed, Keyhoe's work is sensationalistic in nature, but entertaining.

Going back and reading the early literature is very enlightening. I highly recommend it to anyone (well, you know, if you like to read). One book I forgot to mention is UFOs: A Scientific Debate, edited by Sagan and Page. This has some of MacDonald's work on the multiple radar cases in Japan and UK.

Read a few of Randle's, but it's been some time. Most recently I read his work on the MJ-12 docs where he refutes many of Friedman's claims on authenticity.

Friedman has been sticking to his guns, ass his website indicates.

I read his blog occasionally.

Lately it's been crawling with Roswell skeptics, including the abrasive Lance Moody.

I believe he is one of the more credible and honest of present day UFO researchers.

Yep. Nobody's pefect of course.

I just finished Ed Walter's book UFO abductions in Gulf Breeze. I was inspired to read it after listening to Bruce Maccabee talk about it on the Paracast. I have to confess that I had pretty much dismissed this case for years. The evidence seems overwhelming however. Multiple witnesses, video, and numerous photographs from multiple witnesses.

I don't understand why there isn't more attention paid to this case.

Has David B. done an analysis of the Gulf Breeze photographs?

I wonder if Ed Walters and the people of Gulf Breeze are still seeing UFOs? I would think Ed and Frances Walters would be prime Paracast guests.

I just finished Ed Walter's book UFO abductions in Gulf Breeze. I was inspired to read it after listening to Bruce Maccabee talk about it on the Paracast. I have to confess that I had pretty much dismissed this case for years. The evidence seems overwhelming however. Multiple witnesses, video, and numerous photographs from multiple witnesses.

IIRC Randle dismissed it too.

Has David B. done an analysis of the Gulf Breeze photographs?

I wonder if Ed Walters and the people of Gulf Breeze are still seeing UFOs? I would think Ed and Frances Walters would be prime Paracast guests.

I don't believe Walters. I think he's a charlatan. But last I heard guys like Jerome Clark and Budd Hopkins believe him. As far as the other witnesses go I think it may simply be a product of UFO fever. One guy makes a lot of noise and other people look up a lot more often because of it. It's been a long time since I've read about the case but if memory serves me correctly there is an air force base in the area.

... As far as the other witnesses go I think it may simply be a product of UFO fever. One guy makes a lot of noise and other people look up a lot more often because of it. It's been a long time since I've read about the case but if memory serves me correctly there is an air force base in the area.

Walters passed four lie detector tests for what that is worth. It also seems improbable to me that Walters faked his photographs since some were taken in the presence of other witnesses and Bruce Maccebee has some very compelling things to say about their authenticity. There were over 200 witnesses besides Ed Walters. UFO abductions in Gulf Breeze has numerous accounts of sightings and some photos made by people other than Ed Walters. Until I see something more convincing I think it is a mistake to dismiss the Gulf Breeze sightings and that it deserves closer attention. It does appear that a disinformation campaign was run on Ed Walters and the whole "flap".

Walters passed four lie detector tests for what that is worth. It also seems improbable to me that Walters faked his photographs since some were taken in the presence of other witnesses and Bruce Maccebee has some very compelling things to say about their authenticity. There were over 200 witnesses besides Ed Walters. UFO abductions in Gulf Breeze has numerous accounts of sightings and some photos made by people other than Ed Walters. Until I see something more convincing I think it is a mistake to dismiss the Gulf Breeze sightings and that it deserves closer attention. It does appear that a disinformation campaign was run on Ed Walters and the whole "flap".

Well, like I said, there are some notable people who believe him. But I'm more persuaded by Randle's argument.

Seems Randle won't buy any case with an abduction.

It is hard to ignore the number of witnesses and supporting photographs which support Walters testimony and photographs. These things in turn give some credence to Walter's abduction accounts. It's difficult to understand how it all can be dismissed as hoaxing and misidentification. I have yet to find Randle's discussion of Gulf Breeze. Do you have a link?

Jerry Clark - UFO Encyclopedia.

Peter Sturrock - The UFO Enigma: A New Review of the Physical Evidence

Richard Hall - The UFO Evidence, Vols. I and II

Jacques Vallee - Passport to Magonia: From Folklore to Flying Saucers

J. Allen Hynek - The UFO Experience: A Scientific Enquiry

These should be the starting points for anyone interested in the subject. On the somewhat related question of the "abduction" phenomenon, The Abduction Enigma by Kevin Randle, Russ Estes and William Cone is required reading.

Paul

Trajanus:
Seems Randle won't buy any case with an abduction.

Yeah, he hasn't always been like that though. In his book, The October Scenario, he speaks positively about several different abduction cases. There is even some snippets of hypnosis transcripts in there where he asked a few of the questions, rather clumsily I might add. I haven't read the book he released about abductions a few years ago. Been meaning to get it but times are tight.

trainedobserver:
It is hard to ignore the number of witnesses and supporting photographs which support Walters testimony and photographs. These things in turn give some credence to Walter's abduction accounts. It's difficult to understand how it all can be dismissed as hoaxing and misidentification. I have yet to find Randle's discussion of Gulf Breeze. Do you have a link?

The photograph Walters took of the disc hovering over a road is the one that is most controversial. Some who have analyzed it believe they have found good evidence of hoaxing (Something to do with the lighting.).

trainedobserver:
The photograph Walters took of the disc hovering over a road is the one that is most controversial. Some who have analyzed it believe they have found good evidence of hoaxing (Something to do with the lighting.).

I just got through listening to an interview with Bruce Macabee where he makes comments about the photo you mention (I think) that seem to authenticate it. He talked about the light dissipation on the road surface.

If there was one or two pictures or one or two witnesses it might be different. Unlike the Billy Meier case, there are multiple witnesses taking pictures with different video and still cameras.

I just got through listening to an interview with Bruce Macabee where he makes comments about the photo you mention (I think) that seem to authenticate it. He talked about the light dissipation on the road surface.

If there was one or two pictures or one or two witnesses it might be different. Unlike the Billy Meier case, there are multiple witnesses taking pictures with different video and still cameras.

If there are any pictures from other people of craft that look like the ones Walters took than they have slipped my mind. Sure, there might be pictures of things in the sky taken by other people that look different from Walter's pics but I fail to see how that would help his case in particular. I remember watching a documentary on TLC or something like that where a group of skywatchers in Gulf Breeze were ooing and awing and getting very excited over what simply looked to me like a jet dropping flares. Gulf Breeze made national news, it was a big story. People were likely watching the sky more often than usual so it makes sense that you'd get an increase in UFO images from that area at that time. Another thing to keep in mind is that even Stan Romanek claims to have a lot of witnesses to things he alleges.

Well here is the deal. I just finished reading Walter's book and listening to several hours of Bruce Macabee discuss his sighting there, his analysis of video and still photos taken at Gulf Breeze by Ed Walters and others and I can't just dismiss it out of hand. Your mileage may vary.

Back