• NEW! LOWEST RATES EVER -- SUPPORT THE SHOW AND ENJOY THE VERY BEST PREMIUM PARACAST EXPERIENCE! Welcome to The Paracast+, eight years young! For a low subscription fee, you can download the ad-free version of The Paracast and the exclusive, member-only, After The Paracast bonus podcast, featuring color commentary, exclusive interviews, the continuation of interviews that began on the main episode of The Paracast. We also offer lifetime memberships! Flash! Take advantage of our lowest rates ever! Act now! It's easier than ever to susbcribe! You can sign up right here!

Subscribe to The Paracast Newsletter!

Mirage Men - Documentary 27 March??

Any updates?

As you may have seen, the documentary was on Youtube and torrent websites etc a few weeks ago - without the permission of the producers of the video.

The documentary should be officially available on Yekra (Video On Demand) on 27th March. The last I heard, the plan was for the Video On Demand release to be followed by a DVD with a few cinema screenings.

There is a special screening in Bristol with live music performance on March 27th at the Arnolfini.

A while back, the filmmakers were asking on their Facebook page for suggestions on what kind of extras people would like to see on the DVD. The answers were good, but some impossible, due to legal rights, but it looks like they've got some interesting things lined up.

I'm looking forward to this.

Has anyone managed to catch this film? I really enjoyed it. It offered a variety of perspectives, including some well-known names in the UFO field.

It's definitely a challenging documentary, and full of unanswered questions--including, what, if anything, is the "truth" regarding government knowledge about UFOs.

Highly recommended.

The film is interesting and due to the fact that it relies on material filmed on a visit to the USA, it mostly centers on Rick Doty and his exploits. A lot of interesting material discussed in the Mirage Men book wasn't included, probably due to it not being visual.

There is so much time given to the Paul Bennewitz story as told by Greg Bishop, they should have called the movie Project Beta!

I've not seen this. What does "yerka" mean? It that an acronym?

Synopsis
How the US government created a myth that took over the world.

ET visitors… crashed UFOs… back-engineered alien technology… the government cover-up of a secret that would change the world as we know it…

These are the core elements of the modern UFO mythology, a story that has captivated farmers, princes and generals for generations, and shows no sign of loosening its grip on the popular imagination.

But what if, instead of covering up the UFO story, elements in the US military had actively encouraged it as part of their Cold War counterintelligence arsenal – manufacturing the myth of the UFO as a powerful weapon of mass deception and the perfect cover for all manner of clandestine technologies and operations.

Now, for the first time, some of those whose actions have directly shaped the UFO mythology, and some of their victims, tell their stories, revealing a surreal disturbing and sometimes tragic sequence of events that is part Manchurian Candidate and part Close Encounters of the Third Kind.

Mirage Men draws viewers into a saucer-shaped hall of mirrors, a shadow-world where every lie contains elements of the truth, and the truth is far stranger than the UFO believers, or their detractors, would have you believe.

It's a fairly interesting, decently produced documentary that primarily features Richard Doty and his dewlap.

Among the topics covered: The number done on Paul Bennwitz by Doty, et al., the number done on Bill Moore by Doty, et al., Robert Emmenegger and the mythical Holoman AFB film footage, the MJ-12 documents (which Doty denies having anything to do with), Project Serpo, etc.

I'd say it's a good primer for folks wishing to get somewhat up to speed on that stuff. It doesn't attempt to come to any conclusions about the UFO phenomenon per se. Could use a bit less Linda Moulton Howe. Just my two cents.

Linda is a pivotal and highly instructional figure in this movie, as you can see how her own reality has not just been tampered with but entirely manufactured. Given what happened to Bennewitz, I think LMH's descent is instructive for all who adopt dangerous belief systems like ufology.

Emenegger was very odd in some of his responses, always just a litte cagey and unwilling to fully answer questions. What the hell was that all about?! He's never been like that on Radio Misterioso. I loved his song at the end of the doc - just brilliant!

Doty also displayed some exceptional drama queen skills while with a perfectly straight face he started confirming Project Serpo, talk about wanting to hog the UFO limelight. I thought the one conclusion Mirage Men came to, which is where it started, that the majority of what we call ufology is a manufactured and highly controlled series of events - not all of them fabricated.

Has anyone seen the extended DVD edition?

I was impressed by the film. All that occurred in the shadows from Dulce to Serpo is almost as fascinating as the UFO mystery itself. I was wondering if the additional footage is worth seeing.

Thanks.

Linda is a pivotal and highly instructional figure in this movie, as you can see how her own reality has not just been tampered with but entirely manufactured. Given what happened to Bennewitz, I think LMH's descent is instructive for all who adopt dangerous belief systems like ufology.

Emenegger was very odd in some of his responses, always just a litte cagey and unwilling to fully answer questions. What the hell was that all about?! He's never been like that on Radio Misterioso. I loved his song at the end of the doc - just brilliant!

Doty also displayed some exceptional drama queen skills while with a perfectly straight face he started confirming Project Serpo, talk about wanting to hog the UFO limelight. I thought the one conclusion Mirage Men came to, which is where it started, that the majority of what we call ufology is a manufactured and highly controlled series of events - not all of them fabricated.

I totally agree regarding LMH but I have to take issue with '...who adopt dangerous belief systems like ufology.' I don't really get what that means because Ufology as a subject encompasses a wide range of sub-topics and also everything from nuts and bolts to demonic forces! There is no 'belief system' that is Ufology, although Ufology of course does umbrella those who do have a personal belief system that might be UFOs=spacecraft piloted by greys etc and I am guessing you were really referring to the beliefs of such people as Steven Greer et al.

I too think that ufology does not represent a single belief system. As a historical attempt to investigate the nature of ufos, the field of ufology has long been populated by skeptics as well as 'beleevers' (the usual term tossed at researchers who have developed a conviction that some ufos are 'real').

Ufology is a sliding scale spectrum that has no real way of policing itself or defining or sectioning off say a more scientific perspective from one that promotes hypnosis for people who believe they have been abducted by aliens. While I acknowledge that there are trends and schools of thoughts within the entire field, some who are highly stringent, and some who were once stringent and then chose the strange and bizarre, but then some others have always there for the reptilian conspiracy. Ufology, as a field of inquiry is problematic as a whole.
ReptoidEncounter.jpg

The fact is that in its public relations with mass culture you an easily see how The Heaven's Gate Cult, and those 'ufologists' that promoted the false idea that a second object was in the comet are all dangerous people. Paul Bennewitz was involved with dangerous people who promoted other dangerous ideas about UFO's & alien bases which then destabilized him altogether. Dale Spaur, & all the contactees, space prophets & self appointed space ambassadors, every single abductee claimant, and anyone who promotes the abduction phenomenon & hypnosis are all involved in highly dangerous belief systems. These can, in turn, have a very dramatic effect on the masses, their families and average citizens who learn 'truths' about UFO's and aliens from people who have no proof and/or claim proof about such things like how all our world leaders and the global elite are actually reptiles from Zeta Reticuli. Religious systems & cults, as Vallée warned, are not the only serious consequences. Yes, ufology is a dangerous belief system that can both mentally destabilize or kill people.
ufo-cult_raelbrigitte03.jpg

Again, this thread contains a more detailed look at this situation and makes an important argument for why there needs to be policing of ufology and/or the establishment of organizations whose approach in investigating the phenomena respects witnesses, promotes their safety and is highly stringent with all their investigatory protocols. And they must sever themselves entirely from the tinfoil hat brigade. I felt sorry for LMH at the end of this movie. It was all very unnerving and made the opening lines of the movie all the more ominous.

Anniversary Heaven's Gate | The Paracast Community Forums

Last edited:
I thought it was a good and almost great film, worth watching.

Moulton and Howe come off as petty, gullbile, angry.

Is ufoology dangerous? Heaven's Gate was dangerous because it was a cult led by a madman. They embraced ufoology, but also pretended to be time travellers sometimes, pretty much as it suited them. If Courtney Brown hadn't claimed there was a "Saturn-like object" lurking behind Hale-Bopp, the Beloved Leader would have found a different reason, compelling to his mind-control victims, for them all to commit suicide. Being foolish is dangerous.

I watched this film so long ago now I don't remember it in detail. Doty was very interesting, I remember that. It seems like the makers of the film made massive use of archive.org public domain video material, but perhaps I am mixing it up with a different film.

Back