• NEW! LOWEST RATES EVER -- SUPPORT THE SHOW AND ENJOY THE VERY BEST PREMIUM PARACAST EXPERIENCE! Welcome to The Paracast+, eight years young! For a low subscription fee, you can download the ad-free version of The Paracast and the exclusive, member-only, After The Paracast bonus podcast, featuring color commentary, exclusive interviews, the continuation of interviews that began on the main episode of The Paracast. We also offer lifetime memberships! Flash! Take advantage of our lowest rates ever! Act now! It's easier than ever to susbcribe! You can sign up right here!

Subscribe to The Paracast Newsletter!

Memories of Mac Tonnies

Free versions of recent episodes:

mikec

Skilled Investigator
November 1st, 2009

I'm listening to the tribute to Mac right now, on All Saints' Day.

A lovey time for praise, but all too short.

Here's his super cool blog. Dig deep.
Posthuman Blues

He shamelessly put cute cat videos on his blog. Bless him!

Great job guys. Thanks to everyone for putting that show together. Lots of laughs too, which I really appreciated.

I also really dug how you naturally progressed to talking shop about UFOs/Cryptoterrestrials etc. As sad and tragic as this whole thing is, this show made me feel a little better about everything.

Brilliant show guys! Nice send off for a young man who's ideas & thinking were way beyond his years!

Cheers, Mullpig (Kristian).

Got it ready for my long drive today. Really impressed everything got put together so quickly.

Thanks to the hosts and the guests for getting this to us this fast.

I saw a very simple you-tube clip of Mac, and it was really charming. It was just him, looking in the camera while in a coffee shop. He smiles, and ad-libs a short dialog on his curious likeness to a little alien image (on a pin, or a little sculpture I think).

He is humble, charismatic, well-spoken and funny.

The clip is genuinely cute, and I can't seem to find it.

Anyone out there know where it is?

huge thanks.
Mike C!

Brilliant show guys! Nice send off for a young man who's ideas & thinking were way beyond his years!

Agreed. My brother passed away at 38 from a heart attack a few years back. It is always incredibly sad when someone so young and full of potential dies suddenly.

Thanks for this show. It's a real shame that you fellows have had to do so many tribute shows this year, but - on the other hand - it's very good of you to do so. You always do a very informative and respectful job handling these sensitive shows.

Mac Tonnies was very, very young, and it's a damned shame that he had to pass away with so much promise to offer. I only started to get to know the guy and his work. I'll be reading more on him and his writings. RIP.

Good show and a nice idea.

Also, it was a nice mix of personal tribute and discussion about the ideas and topics important to him.

I listened today to Mac Tonnies' tribute. Very nice tribute. However, when it got to the discussion about Twitter, I have to disagree with Gene. Mac was a prolific Twitterer. He was constantly coming up with interesting links, to photos, music and various topics... sometimes way into the wee hours of the night/morning. Yes, there were on occasion mundane posts, but then who doesn't do that? The fact that Twitter limits the posts' length to 140 characters, it forces Tweets to be concise and to the point and Mac was still able to keep his posts interesting. He was interactive and friendly. He was not like many other ego driven self promoters that Twitter is full of. David, before you turn your nose up at Twitter, give it a chance; just check out Mac's time line: http://twitter.com/mactonnies. I am hoping it will stay there permanently.

Can't believe you guys aren't familiar with Stephen King. Not only was the Mist based very closely on his short story of the same name, but that story was written about 30 years ago.

I figured if nothing else Gene would be familiar with it since he likes to write.

Yeah Gene I agree with Catie. You really got it wrong regarding Mac and his tweeting. I mean to bring this up but I completely forgot.

Mac was ALL about link dumps. Twitter for him was like a more efficient way of distributing cool/smart/interesting/Fortean/intelligent links to his followers, rather than having them go to his blog to find them.

Sure he also did the occasional "I just found some lint in my belly button!" tweets, but for the most part Macs tweets were almost always a link to the weird, wacky and wonderful of the web.

Yeah Gene I agree with Catie. You really got it wrong regarding Mac and his tweeting. I mean to bring this up but I completely forgot.

Mac was ALL about link dumps. Twitter for him was like a more efficient way of distributing cool/smart/interesting/Fortean/intelligent links to his followers, rather than having them go to his blog to find them.

Sure he also did the occasional "I just found some lint in my belly button!" tweets, but for the most part Macs tweets were almost always a link to the weird, wacky and wonderful of the web.
Actually, I recall saying something altogether different, that only some of his tweets were mundane.

I got the impression that you said he used twitter just like everyone else. eg. "I just got a pizza" etc...

Ill re-listen. If I mis-heard I apologise.

I really enjoyed this episode just got through it today. Hopefully his book will be published and i what to see how he explains the theory that UFOs are actually from here.I have only one book on UFO'S from Philip Imbrogno and this book hopefully will be my next purchase.

I just finished listening to this episode in the wee hours of this morning. I enjoyed Mac Tonnies' visits to the Paracast, and was saddened to hear of his passing. I would have liked to meet such a person who was so widely liked. Thanks to Gene and David for this episode in his honor.
From my point of view (and I certainly could be mistaken) I can only support the crypto-terrestrial concept if these beings are from our future or in another dimensional plane. UFO sightings are worldwide and any current crypto-terrestrial species would probably not be so wide spread and even if they had advanced form of transportation they would probably have a clear locus of activity that would be discernible.
If they come from the future a lot of things make more logical sense, such as their being concerned about nuclear weaponry and genetic research on abductees.
This is especially so if we think of the future as a quantum wave sort of thing which is malleable and maybe these future beings are trying to save themselves by altering our future and their past. But I run into trouble with this because of issues I have about the viability of biological entities doing time travel (too voluminous to get into briefly).
Returning to thoughts of Mac, perhaps I can think whimsically and poignantly (no conspiracy theory implied) of future beings allowing Mac to download his mind into this post human future being and he may now be traveling the Galaxy!
Mac, be well where ever you be!
Fahrusha

Just finished listening, and i thought it was a good show all in all. I also think that the coast 2 coast show was a good kind of goodbye thing to do for him, as you mentioned it was clear that George noory really enjoyed the conversation they had, as he wasn't just in his usual "professional" mode that he is towards guests 99% of the time. I'm gonna be digging that up again more than once in the future i suspect.

What happened to Greg b. towards the end btw? I thought you just kinda forgot about him at some point, it seemed that way. Maybe you mentioned him leaving but i didn't get that he wasn't on anymore, until the goodbyes started going round.

Enjoyed the show. So sad to lose such a talented young guy who thought outside of the box, as so few are able to do.

David and Gene, thanks for having me on the show. I was glad to be included on this important, but sad occasion.

I was at work and only had an hour to talk, so they didn't forget about me, I just disappeared!

If you'd like to hear some more talk about Mac Tonnies on possibly a more personal level from Nick, Paul and I, I've just posted our own memorial show at radiomisteiroso.com. Included are recordings of Mac reading from his forthcoming Cryptoterrestrials book.

Back