• NEW! LOWEST RATES EVER -- SUPPORT THE SHOW AND ENJOY THE VERY BEST PREMIUM PARACAST EXPERIENCE! Welcome to The Paracast+, eight years young! For a low subscription fee, you can download the ad-free version of The Paracast and the exclusive, member-only, After The Paracast bonus podcast, featuring color commentary, exclusive interviews, the continuation of interviews that began on the main episode of The Paracast. We also offer lifetime memberships! Flash! Take advantage of our lowest rates ever! Act now! It's easier than ever to susbcribe! You can sign up right here!

Subscribe to The Paracast Newsletter!

May 29, 2016 — Stanton T. Friedman

I have to agree I think there is a point to be made about contaminants and it is an interesting line of enquiry. But it has to be demonstrated that this kind of procedure was established practice at the time.

I am very doubtful that strict biohazard protocols would have existed and were in the minds of the average person involved. I think radiation concerns would have been much more likely. Turning up to the debris field with a gieger counter makes a lot of sense.

But if this was a unique situation then nobody would have had reason to prepare for it and if the first visitors to the debris field seemed unscathed and saw no concern you could imagine contamination being overlooked in the panic / excitement that ensued.

I think if Gene and Chris want to use this line on future guests they need to back it up with a bit more weight. It would be interesting to speak to someone with a deep knowledge of the 509th or biohazard procedures of the time.

Sent from my XT1032 using Tapatalk

Good idea. But it's interesting how little thought is given to the question. Stan dismissed it outright. At least we have one sensible response. They wouldn't consider it just as the authorities neglected radiation hazards from nuclear tests. But Hollywood did. Hence all the monsters created by radiation exposure in 50's movies.

So, all this background leads me to speculate that the Roswell "event" may have been some sort of counter intel operation, with humanly manufactured mundane debris planted in an isolated field, in order to shake up Soviet agents in the US, and then to try to track their communications by looking for "flying disc" or something similar. Perhaps only Ramey and Blanchard knew about it, and perhaps all other 509th personnel were in the dark about it. Maybe. Or maybe not.
A possible corollary of which may be: (i) the original event was, as both William and James Carrion suggest, a psyops operation meant to unsettle the Soviets and root out Soviet agents; (ii) the intel boys decided that there was still Cold War mileage to be made out of it in the 1980s, and hence the MJ-12 documents were produced; (iii) Stan, with his security clearances and past projects history, was enlisted to do his bit for the West by bringing the MJ-12 material to prominence. Thus a myth was born, and Stan has been quietly chuckling away off-mic ever since. Ah, the conspiracy!

I very much like the idea of the MJ12 documents being a reaction to investigators digging into the original Psyop.

I don't think Stan is in on the game though.

Sent from my XT1032 using Tapatalk

I do not think an interstellar spacecraft crashed at Roswell.

Generally speaking, I could accept the Mogul explanation.

My lack of confidence in a pure Mogul explanation has to do with Blanchard's order for media publicity.

For the record, Blanchard's order for publicity is, IMHO, even more ridiculous if he really thought they had recovered some sort of interplanetary vehicle.

*******************************************************************************************

William,

Since my last posting on this forum I have ordered from Amazon and read Karl Pflock’s book Roswell: Inconvenient Facts and the Will to Believe which gives chapter and verse on the Roswell Incident and full details of Project Mogul including the fateful Flight #4 from Alamogordo on June 4 1947. This book leaves me –and I’d have thought any other reasonable reader and researcher —in no doubt at all about what actually happened. I know that most people (like Chris) are sick to death of Roswell but for anyone who is still interested in the Roswell Incident this is the book to get and I suggest that here we have the truth at last.

I say ‘at last’ but the book was published in 2001 and information about Mogul was becoming available in 1994/1995. Stanton Friedman and Karl Pflock were both at the 1995 MUFON Symposium in Seattle (as was I) selling their respective publications about Roswell. Unfortunately, like most MUFON attendees, I was in awe of Friedman’s version of Roswell back then and I regarded Pflock as a debunker and a heretic like Phil Klass who was also present. Consequently I bought Friedman’s book Crash at Corona (1992) rather than what Pflock was selling.

I should point out that Karl Pflock was an honest researcher and not just a UFO debunker as he has been unfairly portrayed. He had a lifelong interest in UFOs and he believed that these were of extraterrestrial origin. But as an assiduous researcher of the subject he became completely convinced that the Roswell Incident had nothing to do with ET visitation. His book that I have just acquired covers not just what fell from the sky on the Foster Ranch in 1947 but all the subsequent Roswell tales about small aliens and alien bodies that were allegedly recovered from the crash and/or a host of other alleged saucer crash sites in New Mexico. Karl Pflock patiently reviews much of the alleged witness testimony from dubious characters like Frank Kaufmann, Barney Barnett, Gerald Anderson, Jim Ragsdale, Sgt. Melvin Brown, Glenn Dennis, etc. Not only do we get the strong impression that these people were dishonest in their claims to have seen aliens dead or alive at or near Roswell but that the Roswellist advocates who were writing sensational books about this in the 1980s and the 1990s were being dishonest too.

What you say about Colonel William Blanchard is most interesting. His famous press release on July 8 1947about the RAAF’s recovery of a “flying disk” is surprising but has to be seen in the context of the Cold War and the extremely recent publicity regarding flying saucers. By “flying disk” I’m sure he was thinking some kind of secret airplane or missile rather than anything of ET origin. If he had ever suspected this was a top secret US project I’m sure he wouldn’t have said what he did as he was a loyal military man totally focused on America’s potentially nuclear confrontation with the Soviets. He was most unlikely to have known anything about Project Mogul or its true purpose before that date and was very quickly rebuked by his superior(s) in Washington and/or by General Ramey in Fort Worth who would probably have known. Blanchard was told not to say another word. Consideration of Blanchard’s outstanding military career and his reasons for issuing the press release are covered in detail in Pflock’s book.

I have previously written that, if one is looking for truth, that is a commodity that’s often in short supply at UFO conferences, on Coast-to-Coast AM, and in particular when it comes to the beliefs, the claims, and the stories of some prominent Roswellists. One exception has to be the late Karl Pflock whose book on Roswell I highly recommend.

Since my last posting on this forum I have ordered from Amazon and read Karl Pflock’s book Roswell: Inconvenient Facts and the Will to Believe which gives chapter and verse on the Roswell Incident and full details of Project Mogul including the fateful Flight #4 from Alamogordo on June 4 1947. This book leaves me –and I’d have thought any other reasonable reader and researcher —in no doubt at all about what actually happened. I know that most people (like Chris) are sick to death of Roswell but for anyone who is still interested in the Roswell Incident this is the book to get and I suggest that here we have the truth at last.

I’ll second what you said about Karl Pflock’s proposal of Mogul for what came down outside Roswell. It’s over 20 years since I read it (I think it must have been his piece for The Fund for UFO Research that I read). But I remember my impression being exactly as you describe yours.

As you said, Pflock was a good UFO researcher, not a debunker. I went into reading his Mogul report very interested and open to what he had to say. I had earlier read a very good piece he had written in which he had taken apart Ed Walters Gulf Breeze UFO photos, largely by showing Walters had previously made similar Polaroid photos of ghosts as entertainment at kids’ parties.

I remember being quite impressed by Pflock’s argument that it was Mogul that came down outside Roswell. I think I might now have to get his 2001 book on Roswell.

Blowfish,

You ask: George, is it really worth spending any more money on Roswell Case after all the crap regarding the slides?

No, I don’t think it is worth a dime but let me give you a little more background information on the Roswell Slides hoax business which brought Roswellism into such utter disrepute last year.

By “Roswellism” I mean the firm conviction that extraterrestrials are visiting this planet in UFOs and its basic premise that the 1947 Roswell Incident was the crash of such an ET spacecraft leading to the recovery of one or more alien bodies (and possibly a living alien). People can obviously believe whatever they want to believe about ETs –and they may well be right-- but my contention is that the Roswellists’ basic premise about an ET spacecraft crashing near Roswell is false. One only has to read Karl Pflock’s book, which cost me just $27, to realize this.

In 2013 several Roswellists formed what they called the Roswell “Dream Team” to examine the Roswell case with a fresh outlook and hopefully present new evidence to the world giving proof of the alien presence. Some of them also wanted to publish the “ultimate” Roswell book. The new proof turned out to be the hoaxed Roswell Slides and unfortunately for the team the “dream” became a nightmare.

Kevin Randle was a leading member of the team but was very cautious of the new evidence and where it came from. The two most determined members were Don Schmitt and his current Roswell partner Tom Carey who had made contact via the internet with someone called “Anthony Bragalia” whom they asked to join the group. Besides Bragalia there was David Rudiak, a veteran Roswellist and Canadian ufologist Chris Rutkowski who was referred to as the team skeptic. Stanton Friedman was not a member of this Dream Team but his Roswellist nephew Paul Kimball was invited to join.

Understandably most except for Schmitt and Carey were very cautious but agreeing to terms of secrecy and a “non-disclosure” agreement which Schmitt and Carey had already signed up to proved a stumbling block. This led to a huge falling out between Paul Kimball and Kevin Randle. Kimball published a detailed confidential e-mail from Randle and withdrew from the Dream Team almost before he’d joined it. Much of the furious exchanges and the resulting conflict between some of the team members can still be found at:

Blogger

Unknown to them the cause of the Dream Team’s nightmare was the joker in the pack –the bogus ufologist who called himself “Anthony Bragalia”. Not that any of the team ever met him or even saw photographs of this person who could only be contacted via the internet. For some time he had been writing about Roswell on various internet sites and claimed all sorts of inside information about such things as the supposed fabled “Blue Room” at Wright Patterson AFB where wreckage from the Roswell flying saucer had allegedly been taken and secretly examined by government scientists. Also the small alien bodies that were said to have been taken to Wright Patterson in 1947. Bragalia produced a number of official letters and documents (most probably forged by him) confirming various aspects of the mythical Blue Room. He also claimed he had evidence of a number of alien bodies, possibly from other flying saucer crashes, being taken to the US Army’s Dugway Proving Ground in Utah. An article titled “ALIEN BODIES? THE SECRET OF A PLACE CALLED DUGWAY” by Anthony Bragalia was posted on the UFO Iconoclast(s) website.

Obviously Don Schmitt and Tom Carey were highly impressed by all this nonsense -- the fiction, forgery and UFO/alien fakery that was being put out by Anthony Bragalia. He also told them that he knew someone who had acquired some definite evidence in the form of two 1947 Kodachrome slides showing an ET corpse from Roswell which had been taken by a prominent geologist. Foolishly they accepted his word for all this though all they ever got to see were digital images of the alleged slides received via the internet. These doctored images, possibly of a small mummified corpse or else of a dummy alien, turned out to be fakes though Schmitt and Carey refused to accept that until the bitter end. That, as we all know now, was Anthony Bragalia’s elaborate Roswell Slides hoax which culminated last year with Jaime Maussan’s “Be Witness” event fiasco in Mexico City.

“Anthony Bragalia” was eventually unmasked (by me) as arch-deceptionist John Lundberg (crop circles, fake UFOs, fake alien bodies and, then, a fake ufologist!) who was the principal architect of Ray Santilli’s “Alien Autopsy” hoax twenty years earlier. John is of course one of the leading experts on the history of Roswellism and Roswell lore and in his alternative persona of Anthony Bragalia he added several new dimensions to the myth. At the same time he was making the serious documentary Mirage Men (2013) which explored the creation of the Roswell Myth and the part played in that by dubious characters like UFO fraudster Richard Doty and by Bill Moore. I do recommend John’s documentary which is primarily an honest skeptical analysis of how the Roswell Myth developed during the 1980s.

Although Kevin Randle and Paul Kimball were both highly suspicious that the slides were fake it seems they were both deceived into thinking that fake ufologist Bragalia was genuine. On his blogsite “A Different Perspective” Kevin Randle seemed to accept all that Bragalia was saying and also the assurances of Philip Mantle, an equally devious accomplice of John Lundberg, who has for years covered up the latter’s infamous role in the 1995 “Alien Autopsy”.

John Lundberg briefly appeared posing as Ostension on the Paracast forum about the Roswell Slides last year. I had quite an exchange with him but he would not answer any direct questions about his role in the hoax. Nor would he agree to Gene and Chris’s invitation to come on the Paracast since his evasiveness and his complicity in the hoax would almost certainly have become apparent. In a career of 25 years of fakery John’s policy has always been “Neither confirm, nor deny” and many are still taken in by this man.

The Roswell Myth since Stanton Friedman, Bill Moore and, of course, Major Jesse Marcel first made their extraordinary claims of ET visitation in the late 1970s has become a major part of American folklore. The truth or otherwise as regards what actually happened at Roswell in 1947 is hardly relevant and a whole industry based on Roswellism has developed from it. The closest parallel to it is probably Scotland’s Loch Ness Monster Myth which has also produced a specific tourist industry of its own. Needless to say I am very skeptical there ever was a monster lurking in Loch Ness –but then that’s all another story.

Blowfish,

Kimball published a detailed confidential e-mail from Randle and withdrew from the Dream Team almost before he’d joined it

I have no interest in getting involved in this craziness (especially Wingfield's absurd "theory" about Bragalia) other than to correct a basic mistake here. I was never a member of the so-called "Dream Team" - I was asked by Randle to join in the beginning as sort of a skeptical member, but turned them down flat and recommended Chris Rutkowski, who accepted.

Facts are important, and I would point out that if Wingfield can't be bothered to get something as simple as this right, you can't rely on him to get anything else right.

I have no interest in getting involved in this craziness (especially Wingfield's absurd "theory" about Bragalia) other than to correct a basic mistake here. I was never a member of the so-called "Dream Team" - I was asked by Randle to join in the beginning as sort of a skeptical member, but turned them down flat and recommended Chris Rutkowski, who accepted.

OK, I accept you were never a member of the so-called Roswell "Dream Team" but that was not very clear from reading your website. This "theory" is not crazy and John Lundberg's involvement in the Roswell Slides hoax is without a shadow of doubt.

OK, I accept you were never a member of the so-called Roswell "Dream Team" but that was not very clear from reading your website. This "theory" is not crazy and John Lundberg's involvement in the Roswell Slides hoax is without a shadow of doubt.

On September 26, 2013, in the post in which I published Kevin's e-mail, I wrote about the DT:

"That 'team' also includes Kevin, his former research partner Donald Schmitt, Schmitt's current partner Tom Carey, longtime Roswell-as-ET proponent David Rudiak, and Canadian UFO researcher Chris Rutkowski, whom I had recommended to Kevin for the spot as "team skeptic" when I turned down his invitation to join."

I'm not sure exactly how much clearer I could have been than "when I turned down his invitation to join."

picture share

Thanks for the reply George and I shall go looking in the old book stores for Karl Pflock’s book on ROSWELL .

George, is it plausible some advance "human "technology (not a weather balloon ) crashed and have you read Dr Joseph Farrell book on the Roswell Case? Also is possible ROSWELL Military base had UFO sightings prior to so called case UFO ( Crash Mythology) and your thoughts on late US OSS Col Corso ?

Thanks for the reply George and I shall go looking in the old book stores for Karl Pflock’s book on ROSWELL .

George, is it plausible some advance "human "technology (not a weather balloon ) crashed and have you read Dr Joseph Farrell book on the Roswell Case? Also is possible ROSWELL Military base had UFO sightings prior to so called case UFO ( Crash Mythology) and your thoughts on late US OSS Col Corso ?

US Army Colonel Philip J Corso published the book The Day After Roswell in 1997 just a year before his death aged 83. Much of it was ghost written for him by William J. Birnes and by Corso's son Phil Corso, Jr. This science-fiction cum spy-thriller book was one of the most audacious and sleazy capitalizations on the Roswell Incident ever produced. No one should expect to find very much truth there! There are many claims about Roswell and its aftermath in this book which are patently untrue and if anyone is interested in going over these the best criticism of what Corso supposedly claimed can be found in John Alexander's book UFOs --Myths, Conspiracies and Realities (2012)

Going back to what it was that crashed at Roswell I don't think there can be any doubt at all that it was the missing Project Mogul Flight #4 that was released from Alamogrdo on June 4, 1947. This wasn't simply a weather balloon. It was a balloon train 657 feet in length consisting of 23 sounding balloons (similar to regular weather balloons), three large radar reflectors, various parachute devices, a sonobuoy microphone package (intended to detect possible Soviet atomic testing) and several other components. This is all described in considerable detail in Karl Pflock's book. What is particularly striking, if one reads the book, is that the descriptions from various witnesses of the debris and the scattered materials found on the Foster Ranch correspond very closely indeed with the materials which constituted this extraordinary Mogul balloon array. I suggest that Kevin Randle is just plain wrong in saying there never was a Flight #4 in an attempt to salvage the popular notion that whatever landed at Roswell was an alien spaceship.

I haven't read Dr Joseph Farrell's book but will look for it. Of course there are many other suggestions for what the Roswell Crash really was but none is more ridiculous than the one proposed in Annie Jacobsen's book Area 51: An Uncensored History of America's Top Secret Military Base (2011).

G'day George ,
Thanks for the informative reply and I have Col (Rtd) Alexander Book "UFOs-Mthys, Conspiracies and Realities (2012) which enjoyed reading too. However , it very plausible Col Corso held back on true nature of Roswell (still think it more plausible advance human technology at that time) and why would such a person of exemplary service to US Armed forces during World War Two , Korean War and the Cold War do such a book surely it might tarnish his reputation? Dr Farrell book is a good read and give another element to the history of Roswell. Also have you read Mr Nick Cooks book on Anti-gravity technology and its historical development if plausible?

I suggest that Kevin Randle is just plain wrong in saying there never was a Flight #4

George, to try to better nail down this one significant point, do you know what documentation Kevin Randle was referring to when he said it shows Mogul Flight #4 was cancelled, and why do you feel he is incorrect on this?

In the May 22 Paracast (at 0:59 in Paracast+) Randle said, in speaking to the skeptics, “you look at the documentation and it says the flight was cancelled. What part of ‘the flight was cancelled’ don’t you understand?”

When I heard him say this I took it to mean that there is a Mogul report that flat out states “Flight #4 - Cancelled”. Maybe there is such a document. But the only documentation I am aware of is what Randle discusses in this 2007 blog A Different Perspective: There Was No Flight No. 4. This documentation is not nearly so clear on the cancellation, and can be interpreted a couple of different ways. Randle more recently discussed the same documentation in April 2016 A Different Perspective: Truth about Mogul

The documentation discussed in Randle’s blogs is the diary of Dr Albert Crary who was present for the launching of Flight #4. It appears the diary entries were hand copied from field notes. If this is the documentation Randle was referring to on the Paracast, here is the entry from Crary’s diary which is the basis for saying Flight #4 was cancelled:
"June 4, 1947. Out to Tularosa Range and fired charges between 00 and 06 this am. No balloon flight again on account of clouds. Flew regular sonobuoy up in cluster of balloons and had good luck on receiver on ground but poor on plane. Out with Thompson pm. Shot charges from 1800 to 2400."

Kevin Randle reads this language to say Flight#4 was cancelled. Charles Moore, who was involved in the Mogul project, interprets the language to mean that the originally scheduled early morning launch of Flight #4 didn’t take place because of clouds, but Crary's last three sentences indicate the launch of the already inflated balloons did take place around dawn when the clouds had cleared. In his April 2016 blog, Randle argues that yes a launch did take place on June 4, but Crary’s wording “cluster of balloons” means it was not a full Mogul array.

For what it is worth, in the 1990s Charles Moore wrote that he could recall being there for the launch of Flight #4 (as quoted in the 2007 blog).

Last edited:
I've got no iron in the fire one way or the other. One could speculate that the Roswell event was actually an anomalous Fortean trash fall . . . though I have my doubts about that too.

What you say about Colonel William Blanchard is most interesting. His famous press release on July 8 1947about the RAAF’s recovery of a “flying disk” is surprising but has to be seen in the context of the Cold War and the extremely recent publicity regarding flying saucers.

As I mentioned above, another "background factor" that must be included in assessing any media publicity is the secrecy culture of the 509th. You can rent the film, Above and Beyond, HERE, for $2.99, video on demand, and see a dramatization of the secret world of which Blanchard was an integral member.

So, maybe Blanchard did simply order publicity of the trash off the cuff. Maybe. But this film puts that scenario in serious doubt, IMHO.

[Blanchard] was very quickly rebuked by his superior(s) in Washington and/or by General Ramey in Fort Worth . . .

Really? Is there documenation on that?

Blanchard was told not to say another word.

To me, George, this seems exactly backwards.

Blanchard was already well-exercised in keeping his mouth shut.

IMHO it is just as reasonable to speculate that Blanchard was ordered to publicize the debris find.

Again, I do not know. Nor is the true solution of Roswell going to bother me, whatever it actually was. But since we are a year shy of 70 years down the road from this controversial "question" it is always good to keep all possibilities on the table, as much as we can.

Facts are important, and I would point out that if Wingfield can't be bothered to get something as simple as this right, you can't rely on him to get anything else right.

*****************************************************************************************************************************
Paul Kimball has "no interest in getting involved in this craziness” about Roswell presumably because he is embarrassed by the collapse of the false notion that it really was an ET flying saucer crash and his association with –if not actual membership of—the Roswell “Dream Team”. I believe that he now calls himself a skeptic and has even been attacked for this by other Roswellists who accuse him of betrayal.

He does however acknowledge that the Roswell Slides affair was a hoax but it seems he is unable to see that the deception was the work of “Anthony Bragalia” who did indeed become a member of the Dream Team. Here is what is truly absurd: that anyone should believe Bragalia without ever having met him in person and being only able to contact him through the internet. No doubt this person --who was being billed as the “World’s Greatest UFO Researcher”-- told the Roswellists that he could never risk appearing in public.

upload_2016-6-20_12-2-19.png

I asked Paul Kimball whether any of the Dream Team ever met Bragalia and he refused to answer that question. “Anthony Bragalia is a real person” I was told. Well, duh! I never said that he wasn’t a real person –only that he used a false identity to disguise the fact he was actually John Lundberg, a total Roswell skeptic and an arch-hoaxer who is one of the world’s leading experts on every aspect of the Roswell Myth. Kimball prefers to believe that the Roswell Slides hoax was the work of Adam Dew --who was of course the front man for it-- but Dew certainly isn’t smart enough to have devised the deception or the ridiculous background story about “Hilda Ray”, Mamie Eisenhower, and the alleged 1947 Kodachrome slides by himself.

Dream team members Don Schmitt and Tom Carey were evidently so impressed by Bragalia’s claims to know about the secret “Blue Room” at Wright Field (later Wright-Patterson AFB) where the Roswell saucer wreckage was supposedly taken in 1947, the alleged report on exotic ET materials found in the wreckage, and his claim that alien bodies had been taken to Dugway that they asked him to join the Dream Team. That is the real absurdity of it all rather than the fact we know now it was John Lundberg (mastermind of the 1995 “Alien Autopsy” hoax and director of the 2013 documentary film Mirage Men about the Roswell Myth) who was posing as “Anthony Bragalia”.

Long range drones did exist at that time, although maybe I'm stretching the modern use of the term so my apologies for spreading confusion. :) What I am talking about are helium-filled lighter-than-air or hybrid craft, like a blimp, meant for high altitude, long range, broad area NBC weapon delivery. Of course, that's something quite different from the unmanned B-17s etc that were trialled (mainly without success) during WWII. Vallee proposes such a lighter than air drone as a candidate for the Roswell debris in Revelations. Martin Cannon discusses both the drone hypothesis, plus the possibility that Mogul No.4 Flight crashed elsewhere than Roswell, on his website:

ROSWELL

In Britain, Churchill had had masses of sulphur mustard and sarin produced by 1941, ready to fend off the threatened German invasion, and drones (or "gliding bombs" as they were known) were being developed as potential delivery systems at Porton Down, the UK Ministry of Defence's chemical and bacteriological weapons research establishment. The Germans of course also had a cruise missile (the V1). All that technology was available to the Americans by 1947.

Just wanted to say that the Japanese had attacked the mainland US with "FU-GO" weaponised Balloons, I think that a similar system with the addition of advanced long range radio* control would at the very least have been investigated by the Allies.
To our minds today a Balloon is not a very "threatening" weapon but in 1947 a high altitude balloon could fly well above the maximum range of any Air defence system.
For a while I believed that such a high altitude RC balloon could be carry a nuclear payload, but I now think that it would be too heavy (in 1947), however I still believe that a Chemical weapon could be carried and delivered by a RC balloon.
A plan to detonate Chemical Weapons above civilian centers i.e cities and towns would have the highest level of secrecy in part due to its horrific nature.

In a nutshell I think that a Balloon did crash at Roswell in 1947, but I don't think it was a "Mogul" one, I think it was a much more sinister "weapon". Maybe all of the documentation was destroyed shortly after the "crash".

My understanding is that no mention of any recovered "bodies" or "crew" appears until a long time after 1947. I am not convinced that there were any, but if there were I don't think that a crash test dummy could be confused with a grey alien, however if Chimps were used (as they were in Space testing) and if there had been a catastrophic event resulting in trauma and severe burning the resulting cadaver/surviving Chimps could be disfigured to such a degree that they look very "alien". for example Chimps are not very tall, they have long arms and don't have a pronounced nose. Also hair is extremely flammable, so if they were badly burnt all hair could be missing.

I also wonder about the use of language in 1947, my understanding is that the word "Alien" was interchangeable with "Foreign" and did not imply "Extraterrestrial" like it does today.
If the Balloon was derived from a "FU-GO" or similar device, by the language of the time it would be: "Alien" technology, by the same logic you could say that it was legal Aliens and Alien technology that helped put man on the moon. (Von Braun and operation Paperclip).

I am not sure exactly why I don't buy the Mogul explanation it just doesn't seem to fit the puzzle.

I haven't listened to the episode yet, but I am sure I will enjoy it, I have great respect for Mr Friedman, even if I don't agree with what he says.

Best wishes to all.

*Oboe (navigation) - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
*Gee-H (navigation) - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Edit:
I have just Seen further down the thread that George mentioned that a Balloon would require some sort of "motor" or propulsion to direct it to its target because winds are unreliable which I would totally agree with in principle, however if you had multiple launching sites and a whole armada of balloons it would be possible.

a sort of Scatter gun approach. The allies had enough bases around the globe to achieve this, in other words the USSR was surrounded by potential launching sites, and balloons are relatively cheep to produce. I don't think that such a plan ever got past the testing phase, just that it is a possibility.

Back