• NEW! LOWEST RATES EVER -- SUPPORT THE SHOW AND ENJOY THE VERY BEST PREMIUM PARACAST EXPERIENCE! Welcome to The Paracast+, eight years young! For a low subscription fee, you can download the ad-free version of The Paracast and the exclusive, member-only, After The Paracast bonus podcast, featuring color commentary, exclusive interviews, the continuation of interviews that began on the main episode of The Paracast. We also offer lifetime memberships! Flash! Take advantage of our lowest rates ever! Act now! It's easier than ever to susbcribe! You can sign up right here!

Subscribe to The Paracast Newsletter!

Make Sure the Grandkids Sell Your Beach-Front Property....

Christopher O'Brien

Back in the Saddle Aginn
Staff member
[Glaciers come and they go, but an entire ice-shelf collapse? If you live at sea-level that could be scary for your descendants, no doubt... —chris]

NASA spots 'unstoppable' Antarctic ice sheet melt 5-12-14

Two new studies indicate that part of the huge West Antarctic ice sheet is starting a slow collapse in an unstoppable way. Alarmed scientists say that means even more sea level rise than they figured The huge West Antarctic ice sheet is starting a glacially slow collapse in an unstoppable way, two new studies show. Alarmed scientists say that means even more sea level rise than they figured.

The worrisome outcomes won't be seen soon. Scientists are talking hundreds of years, but over that time the melt that has started could eventually add 4 to 12 feet to current sea levels. A NASA study looking at 40 years of ground, airplane and satellite data of what researchers call "the weak underbelly of West Antarctica" shows the melt is happening faster than scientists had predicted, crossing a critical threshold that has begun a domino-like process.

"It does seem to be happening quickly," said University of Washington glaciologist Ian Joughin, lead author of one study. "We really are witnessing the beginning stages."

It's likely because of man-made global warming and the ozone hole which have changed the Antarctic winds and warmed the water that eats away at the feet of the ice, researchers said at a NASA news conference Monday… REST OF ARTICLE HERE:

Sorry, not going to freak out just yet. For one, I don't agree with "man-made global warming." Second, I know that scientists aren't above lying when it comes to global warming/climate change because that's where the money is. You get grants and money if you jump on board the global warming bandwagon. If you are skeptic of man-made climate change you don't get squat.

Sometime this summer, we plan a trip to an oft visited spot on the Texas coast. We haven't been there in 15 years. Tides at these latitudes are very slight. I plan to saunter over to where the bay's water has always been just below the road. If the water looks closer to the road, I will come away alarmed. If not, I will continue driving my very fuel efficient auto and let others haggle over details.

Don't want to start yet another global warming debate... I was just pointing out that a huge section of the Antarctic ice shelf appears to be giving way. That's a huge chunk of ice bigger than many countries. I wasn't posting this to explain why it's happening, just that it is. There are several other rather contentious threads that have gone round and round on that question.

I was just pointing out that a huge section of the Antarctic ice shelf appears to be giving way.

...as explained in the paper: possibly, in 1,000 years, based on a computer model.

This a perfect example of the hysterical twisting of science to keep the sheep in a perpetual state of terror and begging Big Daddy to save them.

phd051809s.gif

In other news; Antarctic sea ice hit 35-year record high Saturday

But no hysteria over that.

Don't want to start yet another global warming debate... I was just pointing out that a huge section of the Antarctic ice shelf appears to be giving way. That's a huge chunk of ice bigger than many countries. I wasn't posting this to explain why it's happening, just that it is. There are several other rather contentious threads that have gone round and round on that question.

No criticism aimed at you, Chris and thanks for posting. Something big is definitely changing. It's just hard to know exactly what.

I don't have a dog in this fight, but I grew up in south Florida and the same beach side homes that were beautiful in the 60s, 70s, 80s, 90s, 2000's, 2010's going in 2020, are all sitting pretty. The hurricanes have yet to take them out, and last I looked they were not under water. Beach erosion has always been an issue, but again, all my childhood beaches are still there with picnic tables and grills. Regardless, I will stir it up a bit

Last edited:
I'm buying more land near Charleston, got 3 acres not so far from IOP. Looking forward to enjoying it with my kids and grandkids.

Back