• NEW! LOWEST RATES EVER -- SUPPORT THE SHOW AND ENJOY THE VERY BEST PREMIUM PARACAST EXPERIENCE! Welcome to The Paracast+, eight years young! For a low subscription fee, you can download the ad-free version of The Paracast and the exclusive, member-only, After The Paracast bonus podcast, featuring color commentary, exclusive interviews, the continuation of interviews that began on the main episode of The Paracast. We also offer lifetime memberships! Flash! Take advantage of our lowest rates ever! Act now! It's easier than ever to susbcribe! You can sign up right here!

Subscribe to The Paracast Newsletter!

Mac Tonnies passes away

Well, someone on MetaFilter reposted my Tonnies post, and the admins there deleted that one as well. Pisses me off. Mac deserves better than this shit, and I happen to know that he also read MetaFilter quite regularly.

It reminds me of when my close friend Jim Ludtke died, none of the Mac magazines would even mention his passing. I wrote a long piece about him for a Swedish 3D magazine, wouldn't you know it, they went out of business as they were going to press with my tribute. If anyone wants a copy of it on PDF, let me know, perhaps I'll post it here.

dB

let me come late to the fair, folks...

just catching up after being away for a bit. terrible news, and he was always one of the guests I made sure to listen to several times over.

Paul, you say he was a great friend of yours, my sympathy for your loss.

David,

Thank you for calling me to let me know that Mac had passed on. I didn't know, as I've been off and on the forums intermittently. Mac was one of the rarest of the rare. He was an intelligent, well spoken, and incredibly decent investigator / journalist who consistently made you think about what you were reading. I had a discussion with him once and I have to say he impressed me on a lot of levels. Mostly because he was able to bring me around to his way of thinking, which is nearly impossible for anyone.

I was told by David that he had been working and was about to have his third book published. It's sad that he didn't see his work and the fruits of his labor, as I have no doubt it would have been successful. I read a lot of his posts, and I read his various articles where I could find them, and in every case I always came away a little more thoughtful of the subjects he covered.

I sincerely feel a bit of a loss today, as he was one of the brighter lights in this business, and someone who was a true benefactor to the paranormal arena. I imagine you will see a lot of folks building on his work, as it was definitely something of value.

He will be missed. I'm sorry to have found out this sad news, and wish his family and friends godspeed in recovering from their grief. He has gone on to a greater reward.

I've sat with the news of Mac's passing for a few days now. When I first read about it, on Facebook of all places, I wasn't sure if it was true or just a gag. So there I go searching for the truth, because it just couldn't be. I didn't know him on a personal level like some of you did. He was someone I'd heard on the radio and on this podcast and a few others and he was someone who was a Twitter I followed. Much to my surprise, he started following me not too much after I started following him. I must say he is one of the sweetest authors on Twitter and unlike most published authors he wasn't above replying and corresponding with his followers. I cherish that because that is something so rare in these days of ego driven self promotion. He was a prolific Tweeter posting interesting subjects and finds from the Internet and his presence is so acutely missed. Twitter is just not the same without him.

My God, David, I just read the whole Metafilter furball. I have never seen anything so cruel, heartless, and inappropriate in my life. Especially to someone like you whose body of work and contribution to the online world deserves respect regardless of agreement.

I honestly don't understand what the value would be in associating with that community. Sure, in any comment thread you're going to find jerks, but these seem like a particularly unfortunate combination of self-importance, callousness, and sadism. F them, I say.

Stunned, so sad. This world does not make sense. And yet he tried to make sense of it in his own original way. He had a huge impact on me.

Can't help vague feeling that we will now miss out on something very big. Or that something very important will now be delayed for years. Fuck.

Was hoping to wake up this morning and find out this was all a joke and Mac is ok.

Seems not to be the case. :frown:

I was in a little hippy coffee shot in Moab Utah when I heard the awful news about Mac. I sat in the corner and sobbed. We talked on the phone every once in a while, and those sessions were usually about 3 hours long.

Part of those conversations were him being supportive to me. I've been dealing with a lot of stuff, and Mac was the perfect voice to help me piece to together my fragile mind. He was kind and sweet - and very funny.

I am not exaggerating when I say that Mac Tonnies helped keep me sane. ANd now, I worry I'll be lost without him.

We talked UFOs, movies, books and about R. Crumb.

THe fact that he was so supportive to me truly helped me come forward with some writings and some memories. He was extremely insightful, and his belief in me kept me going. I am not exaggerating.

He was a big fan of may cartoon work. And he would leave comment on my drawings on a blog site I keep. He even posted a link on his blog to my site. It surprised me when I saw it.

I suffer bouts of severe depression, and I can get pathologically insecure about my own creative output. And Mac knew this, we talked about it often. It was such a beautiful human gesture that he would be SO attentive to me and my creative work as well as my other blog of written work. It meant a LOT to me.

When I heard the news of his death, I was just about to get on the road and drive from southern Utah to my home in Idaho. I have a lot of his interviews stacked up in my iPod, and I drove all night listening to his extremely lucid voice. He can say so much in such a perfectly succinct way, it simply slays me. It was an emotional and haunting night.

I first heard him on Tim Binnalls audio program. It was a long interview, and Mac was splendid. That was in March of 2007, and I got in touch with him almost immediately. I simply HAD to talk to this guy. And he just had an extremely competent (as usual) performance on Coast to Coast (with George Noory) less than a month ago. On that show he was particularly impressive. He beautifully conveys his insights to a very mainstream audience. He had a way of articulating EXACTLY what I felt in my bones. He said it better and clearer than I ever could.

I'm no big fan of George Noory, but you could sense that he was deeply impressed too. I got the feeling that he was saying to himself; "Wow, this guy is great!"

Mac had a way of stating things in such a smooth and clear way, with that lovely voice of his, that left me floored. His calm and reasoned insights will be forever missed in this snake pit of competing egos.

Mac, we never met, but I consider you a very dear and wonderful friend. I hope - because of you - I can proceed forward with a little more integrity and few more insights.

peace to you my friend,
Mike C

isn't is strange how you just never know what an impact a person will have on your life, until they are gone from it. maybe, MikeC, someone out there thinks the same of you and you don't even know it.

good time for us all to turn to those who mean something to us and let them know, isn't it....

My God, David, I just read the whole Metafilter furball. I have never seen anything so cruel, heartless, and inappropriate in my life. Especially to someone like you whose body of work and contribution to the online world deserves respect regardless of agreement.

I honestly don't understand what the value would be in associating with that community. Sure, in any comment thread you're going to find jerks, but these seem like a particularly unfortunate combination of self-importance, callousness, and sadism. F them, I say.

That thread represented all that is wrong with internet communities.

Mac was one of my favorite thinkers and his premature passing was a real shame.

Hey guys...

Not sure how many people are reading the comments on Macs last blog post, but someone left a comment from Macs parents.
<dl id="comments-block"><dt id="c714357862780397699">
blank.gif
Irish Lion said...</dt><dd>I was aaked to post this on behalf of Mac's parents ------

The overwhelming response received regarding the loss of our son, Mac Tonnies, is very much appreciated. He could never understand our not owning a computer or being internet savvy, but our friends are making sure we see all of your postings.

We spent what was to be the last day of his life together having morning coffee at a favorite neighborhood bakery, which was our weekly custom. He put a note in the suggestion box that day; “Fix your espresso machine!”

Mac was a unique person who will always be in our hearts. Thank you for all of your kind words.

Bob and Dana Tonnies
Independence, MO
6:58 PM
</dd></dl>

Thanks to Intense for posting this information on Macs blog.

<dt id="c6994049177234258960">
blank.gif
Intense said...</dt><dd>In an attempt at trying to help relieve concerns and answer some of the perplexing questions that have come up regarding how or what Mac died from, I should note, having spoken earlier this week to his mother, Dana, that she told me that Mac apparently had some underlying heart problems.

She mentioned that once, many years ago in high school, Mac had complained about a racing or fast-beating heart, which made him feel somewhat faint. She took him to a doctor, but the diagnostic tests done then did not indicate any obvious or continuing physiological heart or circulatory disease.

Then, about a year ago, Mac again complained that his heart seemed to be going through irregular beats, and intermittently racing faster than normal, which made him feel tired and light-headed, and Dana again drove him to another doctor who ran an EKG on him, which did show somewhat anomalous results.

She said the doctor told Mac that if he didn't know better, the first EKG results alone would seem to indicate he might have had a mild heart attack. Since Mac, when he subsequently underwent additional tests, including extensive treadmill stress testing, did not show further symptoms or problems after the initial EKG, and the later tests seemed to show he was fine, I'm guessing Mac and his mom thought or were advised it was probably a relatively benign, anomalous incident that didn't require further concern, as Mac seemed quite healthy otherwise, got plenty of exercise from walking a lot, was a vegetarian, and the doctor could find nothing wrong after the further testing.

It seems probable in retrospect that his intermittent heart problems may have, over time, led to some accumulated heart muscle damage leading up and finally causing his passing after the arrhythmia symptoms recurred.

I don't know if perhaps his liking for strong espresso, diet, the possible strain from his day job while also trying to complete his book by his proposed deadline of November 1st, or other factors, could have contributed to what apparently was a heart attack, but I've read a couple references on the net that in the few weeks prior to his passing, he again had heart palpitations on a few occasions, and had at times recently felt fatigued or dizzy once more.

Since his last tweet was at 7:49 pm on Sunday, October 18th, which was earlier than he usually concluded sending out tweets or posting to his blog, I can only assume or speculate that he might have felt tired earlier than usual, and because he had to work the next day, might have retired to bed earlier than usual for him.

So, to help put aside some of the more morbid or conspiratorial things I've seen on the net recently, it seems that due to Mac's underlying prior inconclusive history of occasional heart symptoms, the actual nature or seriousness of which may have been mistakenly ascribed by Mac or others to hard work, long hours, maybe too much coffee, or other mundane stress factors and thus overlooked, most likely he simply had an overfibrillated heart attack in his sleep either that night or the following morning, as he was found later that week in bed.

I know it's hard to understand or accept that someone so bright and relatively young could die so abruptly and unexpectedly (and due to the timing, with his book about to be submitted, arousing some suspicions in certain quarters), and with him showing such great promise, it's also hard to wrap one's mind around his sudden absence, but now that you know a bit more about his previously unrecognized serious heart problems, it hopefully will be a little less difficult to let him finally go. It was an unfortuanate but "natural" death, IMHO.

I couldn't believe it at first myself, as some of my initial comments above show, but after having talked to his mom, and learning more about what I have noted above, I find it no less saddening that Mac is gone, but at least more understandable, and I now accept it. I will truly miss him, and what he potentially would have done. He was a real contender. May he happily wander among the stars...
4:05 AM
</dd>

I talked to Mac several times on the phone about his heart condition. He was hospitalized a little less than a year ago and he was very open about it being unknown, and he got no definitive answer from the doctors. He actually was not too concerned, at least that's how he seemed when we spoke.

There is a picture of him in the hospital, in bed, drinking some sort of juice on his flikr pages. He looks, as always, sort of cute (I know how that sounds, but it's true). All his photos, and videos, have a very real charisma.

I miss him terribly.

Mac posted several openly critical reviews of Whitley Strieber. Mostly about his fiction. Mac was actually never judgmental about Strieber's claims of high strangeness, it was more about some of the content of his web-site.

But, in the last year, both Whitley and Mac were using twitter (a lot) and they became pals with that forum. Sending news items back and forth to each other. From what I understand, they struck up a rather playful friendship.

Here's an email I got from Whitley Strieber concerning Mac's death:

I only knew him online, but I am missing him terribly. He was part of the next generation of the UFO world--sophisticated, intelligent, skeptical and very, very cool. What a loss.

Despite some of the stuff he said about me!

Whitley

Mike I think Paul Kimball mentioned earlier in the thread that that photo of Mac in hospital was when he was getting gall bladder surgery.

Back