• NEW! LOWEST RATES EVER -- SUPPORT THE SHOW AND ENJOY THE VERY BEST PREMIUM PARACAST EXPERIENCE! Welcome to The Paracast+, eight years young! For a low subscription fee, you can download the ad-free version of The Paracast and the exclusive, member-only, After The Paracast bonus podcast, featuring color commentary, exclusive interviews, the continuation of interviews that began on the main episode of The Paracast. We also offer lifetime memberships! Flash! Take advantage of our lowest rates ever! Act now! It's easier than ever to susbcribe! You can sign up right here!

Subscribe to The Paracast Newsletter!

Loyd Auerbach

Well, you could also say I've been down the rabbithole too far and I can't hold back with the the questions. But thanks.

I've just listened to the show and am having kind of a missing time thing going on here. I mean, no way it's already over, seems like I've pressed "play" just a minute ago :(

I just like listening to the guy. He's got so many years of experience in these subjects, which I'd really like to get to the truth about, and although some of the things he says probably seem pretty outrageous from a sceptical standpoint, I think his down-to-earth scientific attitude leaves one with no other option than to really consider what he says is objectively the truth. To freely represent this kind of research in the face of debunkers calling you mislead, a kook, a liar or fraud, (not to forget things like TV producer lawsuit threats), and still keep up this positive outlook on things, that's just amazing IMO.

Thanks for asking my questions. I really appreciate getting this opportunity.

Last edited:
This show was an A+ in my book. It was enjoyable to hear someone talking about a subject such as the paranormal and not come across as a BS artist. Auerbach's comments on TV shows who pretend to investigate paranormal/ghosts was spot on.

Calling Gene Steinberg. I'm still unable to download the Loyd Auerbach interview. Worse, my last attempt just now brought up an attack warning which I'm sure you'll want to know about:

Reported Attack Page!

This web page at Podtrac - Premium Online Shows and Audiences has been reported as an attack page and has been blocked based on your security preferences.

Attack pages try to install programs that steal private information, use your computer to attack others, or damage your system.

Some attack pages intentionally distribute harmful software, but many are compromised without the knowledge or permission of their owners.

Please refresh your browser. Every link I've tried works.

The first two options I tried took lengths of time to download. Then I tried the third option, Podtrak, which my Mozilla browser must have blocked (creating the alert I copied above). I've seen another thread here reporting that Podtrak is blocked by Chrome. Some time ago you wrote about overly long download times being required with Century Link connections, which is my DSL server. Maybe there's still a problem with Century Link. Thanks anyway.

Podtrac had a problem fixed by using Podtrac.net instead of Podtrac.com. But it is best to use iTunes or this site to get the shows.

The CenturyLink matter should be solved now. If you're getting slow download times it may be something else. Technically it was a "peering" issue.

At first mention of the guest I was not inclined to listen to the show. I am not interested in listening to another ghost BSer spouting his notions as fact but that is exactly what I didn't get from the show, your questions and your guest. I am so glad I listened!

It was refreshing to listen to someone who has done actual research and is not afraid to tell it like it is with the more well known cultural phenomenon of 'ghost hunting.' I still don't believe in most of the ghost stuff but I will seek out more info about Auerbach. I know I can learn a lot more about this subject matter from him.

I also enjoyed his detailed approach, though I would have preferred more of his own research, stories and findings developed on the show and less time wasted on the crap that's on television. If we don't recognize BS-artists who shall not be named or are a fourth moon whatever etc., then why bother with the tv junk? Let's just stick to the good stuff and the more valuable information.

One of the things I found quite puzzling about the show was the notion that many ghost experiences are internal events, not able to be externally recorded and are simply immeasurable. The effects on the environment, or simply natural events in the environment, can be measured, but whether or not I'm seeing a ghost only in my mind made me wonder about the nature of the experience. That left things very intangible for me and muh like a previous show that explored dreams of the dead, are these perhaps merely profound internal events, something that our the memory bank creates? I ask this not as an example of any PK power, but that in times of great stress and emotion, is this merely a conjuring of conscious/unconcious mind and not an independent apparition? Even the dusussion of ghosts and clothes seems to have way more to do with the observer than the ghost. As with the Philip experiment, are these just things we invent in the mind?

As with the Philip experiement, I'm of the opinion that there's definitely something more involved. Maybe he/she/it/whatever thought it was funny to pretend being Philip. As for the question, if we're dealing only with subjective impressions created by the witnesses themselves or with something external, I think that may be impossible to tell apart. What we perceive as two different "consciousnesses" may actually be two aspects of the same thing. But to be honest I think that's all to speculative and wishy-washy myself.
Especially if these hypothetical (I guess I still have to call them that) discarnates / entities or whatever really are to blame for drained batteries, manipulated recording equipment, etc., they seem to interact energetically and therefore should be detectable with technical equipment.

Well said Han! This was a great show! Myself, being of the crypto-minded I also loved Mr. Coleman's show...and to have two great podcasts back to back was more than a girl could ask for! Thanks Gene and Chris :)

As with the Philip experiement, I'm of the opinion that there's definitely something more involved. Maybe he/she/it/whatever thought it was funny to pretend being Philip. As for the question, if we're dealing only with subjective impressions created by the witnesses themselves or with something external, I think that may be impossible to tell apart. What we perceive as two different "consciousnesses" may actually be two aspects of the same thing. But to be honest I think that's all to speculative and wishy-washy myself.
Especially if these hypothetical (I guess I still have to call them that) discarnates / entities or whatever really are to blame for drained batteries, manipulated recording equipment, etc., they seem to interact energetically and therefore should be detectable with technical equipment.
From my own lengthy experiences with Ouija boards and contacting spirits I have the contrarian viewpoint. For our group, the character we created was Heather, a seven year old girl ghostly spirit. If you search her name and my title you should find the fully detailed story here on the forum. I believe that Philip, like Heather, Sebastian and other group creations are nothing more than the products of the collective. You can call it groupthink or the delusions of crowds, but I do feel that these experiments produce results that are shared creations, unconscious manouevres and the unspoken will of the group is solely responsible for the impressive visible effects.

http://www.bwpi.net/philip.pdf

That's a brief summary of the Philip experiment and I couldn't help but see my own ouija contact with Heather mapped directly overtop. The singular difference was that while the experimenters brought Philip to life prior to the seance contacts, we were literally writing Heather's story with each ouija session we completed. No one individual was ever responsible for the narrative, but everyone can spell and eventually you have a spirit contact that can write novels if you like. The results can feel shocking. And there were both some unique results and synchronicities that appeared to be beyond explanation, but hey, the world's a weird place.

Back in the 80's the Toronto Society for Psychical Research, or their offshoot, appeared in the city paper with an in depth article on experiments in table tipping and laughter. As with Philip the goal was to create a relaxed party atmosphere, contact spirits and tip tables with only fingertips on the table. The article continued with observations from physicists from the University of Toronto who discovered that what appeared to be incredible supernatural physical feats were really just people collectively tipping the table unconsciously, amazed at the spirit powers and having lots of fun at the same time.
387326_orig.jpg

The power of unintentional collaboration can create incredibly profound group experiences that may lead us to believe in spirits, but really, I believe we do it innocently allowing the whole notion of confirmation bias to be pushed under the table or left in the dark as per these infrared classic table tipping pics. These photos are by Kenneth J. Batcheldor. I could not find originals from the TSPR which is too bad because their table tipping parties looked like a lot of fun. While these photos are supposed to be profound they do look like group manipulation is at work even though the table is weighed down.
Table_tilting_experiment_woman_seated_on_table_by_KJ_Batcheldor_33_percent.jpg

Wow. I didn't know you'd done the experiment yourself. That's highly interesting. I'll definitely look it up on the forum.
And acually I wouldn't count the "groupthink" explanation as any less amazing.

If I remember correctly, Stephen Braude spoke of seeing his own table in his own room leaving the ground altogether, in broad daylight. Allegedely, none of his friends could have been manipulaing it. Did that happen with your group?

I think the ultra classic sceance event has to be table levitation. There are a good number of photos of this happening along with many claims of this experience. We had nothing like that. Were there odd and bizarre experiences without explanation - yes. Do I think a discarnate identity was responsible - no. I agree that the powers of the mind are relatively unknown and that groups of people focussing on a singular idea, constructed person etc. can create what appears to be evidence of their existence - though it's mostly thin or just strange. I think that when a collective, or an individual, is experiencing a heightened state a lot of really strange things can happen as if something else has been unlocked, another way of gathering information. Synchronicities are very bizarre and not easy to comprehend. Those things I have no explanation for, but it does suggest that our minds are capable of doing more than just reading newspapers or cereal boxes.

I found one link to my heather Ouija experiment - but there are others that detail different aspects of the story - searching 'ouija' calls up those posts.
[URL="https://www.theparacast.com/forum/threads/consciousness-and-the-paranormal.14383/page-14#post-179220"]Consciousness and the Paranormal[/URL]

Last edited:
Back