• NEW! LOWEST RATES EVER -- SUPPORT THE SHOW AND ENJOY THE VERY BEST PREMIUM PARACAST EXPERIENCE! Welcome to The Paracast+, eight years young! For a low subscription fee, you can download the ad-free version of The Paracast and the exclusive, member-only, After The Paracast bonus podcast, featuring color commentary, exclusive interviews, the continuation of interviews that began on the main episode of The Paracast. We also offer lifetime memberships! Flash! Take advantage of our lowest rates ever! Act now! It's easier than ever to susbcribe! You can sign up right here!

Subscribe to The Paracast Newsletter!

Loyd Auerbach will be our guest this week!

Christopher O'Brien

Back in the Saddle Aginn
Staff member
We are pleased to announce that Loyd Auerbach will be our guest this week. We will be taping our show with him on Thursday morning. Considered by many to be our top expert on the "paranormal," he's even been on Late Night w/ David Letterman. Please post your QUESTIONS for Loyd HERE:

Loyd is Director of the Office of Paranormal Investigations, and is the 2013/2014 President of the Forever Family Foundation, an organization supporting research on Life After Death and the work of spirit mediums in the grieving process. He has served on their Scientific Advisory Board for a number of years. He was appointed to the faculty of Atlantic University of Virginia Beach, VA, in late 2010, where he teaches an online Parapsychology course. He is the co-author, with the late renowned psychic Annette Martin, of The Ghost Detectives’ Guide to Haunted San Francisco (Craven Street Books/Linden Publishing, April 1, 2011).

He is the author A PARANORMAL CASEBOOK: Ghost Hunting in the New Millennium (Atriad Press, 2005). His 2004 releases were GHOST HUNTING: How to Investigate the Paranormal and HAUNTINGS & POLTERGEISTS: A Ghost Hunter’s Guide (Ronin Publishing). His first book, ESP, HAUNTINGS AND POLTERGEISTS: A Parapsychologist’s Handbook (1986, Warner Books) was named the “Sacred Text”` on ghosts by NEWSWEEK (in August, 1996). PSYCHIC DREAMING (1991, Warner Books; 1999 Barnes & Noble Books), deals with the current understanding of dreams in general and psychic dreams in particular. His third book, REINCARNATION, CHANNELING AND POSSESSION, was published by Warner Books in April, 1993. MIND OVER MATTER (Kensington Books, 1996) focused on the limits human beings set for themselves and on psychokinesis. In 1999, he released the first video on “The Haunting of the USS Hornet” (a haunted WWII era aircraft carrier in Alameda,CA). REINCARNATION, CHANNELING AND POSSESSION: A Parapsychologist’s Handbook is now available again from Kindle and Nook.

He is the third author on another important book to be released in the first half of 2014, ESP WARS, EAST AND WEST: A History of Psychic Espionage and the Military Use of ESP, with Dr. Edwin C. May (who ran the US program for many years) and Victor Rubel (who collected accounts from the Russians to be included in the book).

He serves on the Board of Directors for the Rhine Research Center in Durham, NC, and the Advisory Boards of the Rhine and the Windbridge Institute in Tucson, AZ. Since early 2013, he is on the faculty of the Rhine Education Center, teaching online courses.

He was a Consulting Editor & columnist for FATE Magazine, a national publication dealing with the “unexplained,” from 1991 to December 2004.

Auerbach is the creator and principal instructor of the Certificate Program in Parapsychological Studies at HCH Institute in Lafayette, CA. This California state-registered program started in 2005, and has been available for Distance Learning since 2006.

Loyd Auerbach has been an Adjunct Professor, currently in Integral Studies, at JFK University since 1983. The university, formerly in Orinda, CA, now resides in Pleasant Hill, CA. He also served on the faculty of Rosebridge Graduate School for Integrative Psychology 1996-1998. He holds a BA in Cultural Anthropology from Northwestern University (1978), and an MS in Parapsychology from JFK University (1981). In January, 2011, he began teaching Parapsychology (online) through Atlantic University of Virginia Beach, VA and is helping develop their MA in Interdisciplinary Consciousness Studies.

Loyd Auerbach | The Paranormal Network

This is a not-to-miss program for me. Also of interest is this forthcoming book cited in Chris's post:

"He (Auerbach) is the third author on another important book to be released in the first half of 2014, ESP WARS, EAST AND WEST: A History of Psychic Espionage and the Military Use of ESP, with Dr. Edwin C. May (who ran the US program for many years) and Victor Rubel (who collected accounts from the Russians to be included in the book)."

I don't remember the source, but I read early in my own (limited) research into Remote Viewing that the US Army's first experiments in remote viewing were motivated by the recognition that the Soviets had been investigating psi and employing it in remote viewing since the 1930s. There's a lot of history to be uncovered there and it sounds like the third author, Victor Rubel, has contributed some of it for this book.

1) Why do you think psychic capabilities such as ESP and Remote Viewing are not more present in larger portions of the population when they have been studied and developed for decades now?

2) What are ghosts and hauntings - are they actual external entities that were once human or is it more a "stone tape theory" where these phenomena more a part of the physical space itself and ghostly spaces share unique physical properties?

3) How big is the problem of parapsychological researchers inappropriately confirming poltergeist activity when the individual reporting actually needed professional psychological care? What's your procedure to determine the mental health needs of people who say that they feel malevolent psychic forces are attacking them?

(1) In overviewing the totality of your investigational research, what is the single most compelling case you could offer to peer-reviewed science for the existence of paranormal phenomena?

(2) Are you familiar with a fairly recent, (4 yrs. ago?), study involving OBE’s and ER’s? Apparently, there were symbols placed in obscure locations in emergency rooms scattered throughout a dozen or so different hospital locations in the hope that those experiencing OBE’s would happen to notice the symbols while in their OBE state.

If knowledgeable of this study, were there any meaningful results to share, and if so, where could those results be found?

Last edited by a moderator:
Why do we reincarnate and does it have anything to do with chocolate?

Suppose I'm living in an old home with noises going on, knocking sounds, doors opening etc. At what point would you say it's not just wood expanding, wind blowing, trucks going by etc. but more likely to be haunting phenomena?

Do ghosts actively try to avoid being recorded, drain batteries, white out photos or show themselves only to the unprepared?

How can we tell it's not just all hoaxes and misinterpretations if we haven't had an inexplicable experience ourselves?

Is there any genuine footage of haunting / Poltergeist activity?

Is the ratio of genuine recordings (photos, videos, EVPs) of these phenomena to hoaxed ones as bad as with UFOs (meaning there's hardly anything genuine but mostly hoaxes)?

With all the evidence from parapsychology as well as NDE, reincarnation and medium research mounting up, why is there still no official acknowledgement that there is something worth studying here? Do you see any chance there ever will be?

What's your take on the build-your-own ghost "Philip" experiment? Was it "just" the experimenters creating the phenomena or could some trickster-like entity have been involved?

Could trickster entities be involved in the more credible of these ouja-board / table tipping / moving glass type experiences, which mostly end with some teens getting scared out of their wits?

Many people report seeing entities or apparitions of deceased loved ones while falling asleep or waking up. "Just" sleep paralysis?

Could mythological beings like fairies, elves, trolls, the jinn all stem from the same "source material": hauntings and apparition sightings? For all the aformentioned I've heard descriptions (by people who are natives of the respective countries) along the lines that "basically, they are like people, just invisible (most of the time)". Sounds like ghosts to me. Maybe the butterfly wings, etc. were added much later?

Are creative outgoing people, who are said to score highest in ESP tests, also more likely to have a paranormal experience?

Do psychics sometimes have problems differentiating between genuine information from outside and their own subconscious?

What do you think about the late Vic Tandy's infrasound theory? Can it create the feeling of an unseen presence or even visual hallucinations?

Have you ever seen "orbs" or light phenomena in your work? Could these be related to the phenomena reported from places like Hessdalen, Brown Mountain etc.?

Did you watch The Conjuring? Would you agree with the premise of "demonic entities"?

And, before I forget: Who you gonna call?

Thanks for your work and being a fun guy. Your "keep laughing" advice for people who may have looked too seriously into this stuff is probably the best one I've heard (and it actually helps, too).

annotation: I have no objections to many of the above questions being asked in one to five future shows with Mr Auerbach. Of course, I might come up with new ones until then.

Last edited:
Question: A particular facet of RV that is of interest to me is the method of assigning 'target' coordinates that actually have no relation to the target in actuality other than the fact someone chose the coordinates as a way of referring to an individual target. The fact that this tenuous link seems to serve as a non-physical singpost/routemap for the viewer to reach out and retrieve information on the target, to me, demonstrates that perhaps information on anything and everything is somehow stored and made available purely due to a conscious thought from a human mind. The implications are staggering. Can you convey your own thoughts on this part of Remote Viewing please?

What do you make of Biblical references to ghosts? In the New Testament, Jesus tells the apostles that they look as if they have seen a ghost when he appears to them after the resurrection. Were ghosts accepted as fact back then?

I beg your indulgence in allowing me a second question, but how does understanding of ghosts differ in Asian cultures, especially Japanese, from ours? From what I've seen in their movies, the Japanese seem to see ghosts as something that actively interact with the living and relay some kind of message as opposed to ghosts in western cultures that seem to flit about old homes and castles.

Sorry. One more question. Are you familiar with ghost sightings in Washington, D.C.? Specifically, ghost activity at the Octagon House in Foggy Bottom, sightings of Commodore Stephen Decatur's ghost at Decatur House on Lafayette Square, and sightings of Dolly Madison's ghost at the Dolly Madison House, also on Lafayette Square.

Back