• NEW! LOWEST RATES EVER -- SUPPORT THE SHOW AND ENJOY THE VERY BEST PREMIUM PARACAST EXPERIENCE! Welcome to The Paracast+, eight years young! For a low subscription fee, you can download the ad-free version of The Paracast and the exclusive, member-only, After The Paracast bonus podcast, featuring color commentary, exclusive interviews, the continuation of interviews that began on the main episode of The Paracast. We also offer lifetime memberships! Flash! Take advantage of our lowest rates ever! Act now! It's easier than ever to susbcribe! You can sign up right here!

Subscribe to The Paracast Newsletter!

Looking for Bigfoot? Here's a Map of US Sightings

Free episodes:

Christopher O'Brien

Back in the Saddle Aginn
Staff member
Article HERE:

By Marc Lallanilla LiveScience
12-19-2013

Reported sightings of Bigfoot — the legendary apelike creature that's been a favorite of cryptozoologists for decades — have abounded for decades. Now, for the first time, someone has created a map showing the places where alleged Bigfoot sightings have occurred.

Joshua Stevens, a doctoral candidate at Pennsylvania State University, used data compiled by the Bigfoot Field Researchers Organization (BFRO), which tries to document "the presence of an animal, probably a primate, that exists today in very low population densities," according to the group's website.

Stevens converted the BFRO data and, using geographic-information software, plotted 3,313 data points showing where people have claimed to see Bigfoot (aka Sasquatch, Skunk Ape, Yeti, Skookum or dozens of other names). [Rumor or Reality: Tales of 10 Creatures of Cryptozoology]

4B9070507-130919-bigfootphoto-hmed-0120p-files.blocks_desktop_medium.jpg

"Right away, you can see that sightings are not evenly distributed," Stevens said on his website. "There are distinct regions where sightings are incredibly common, despite a very sparse population. On the other hand, in some of the most densely populated areas, Sasquatch sightings are exceedingly rare. The terrain and habitat likely play a major role in the distribution of reports."

The map, which uses reports from 1921 to 2012, shows a plethora of supposed sightings in the Pacific Northwest, the Ohio River Valley, central Florida, the Sierra Nevada mountain range and the Mississippi River Valley.

Stevens' analysis also includes a chronological timeline showing a rise in reported sightings in the late 1970s (perhaps coinciding with the release of several B-movies about the mythical creature). Another spike in reported Bigfoot sightings occurred between 2000 and 2009.

Despite his exhaustive analysis of the BFRO data, Stevens stops short of giving the information more credibility than it deserves. "Ultimately, I'm not convinced there's a descendant of (giant ape) Gigantopithecus playing hide-and-seek in the Pacific Northwest," Stevens said. "But if respectable folks like … primatologist Jane Goodall believe there's something more to the myth, I think it's at least worth putting on the map."

Goodall, in an interview that was broadcast on NPR in 2006, said, "I'm sure that they exist." The famed primate researcher also confessed, "Well, I'm a romantic, so I always wanted that."

REST OF ARTICLE HERE:

Thank you very much for posting this.
It is refreshing to see people giving the Bigfoot mystery a little respect, I think this "map" goes a long way towards showing that people are seeing and have seen something: something strange enough for them to file a "report".

It looks as if old Squatchie isn't very fond of west Texas and the middle west. He seems to be a lot like many of us in his preferences. California, The East coast and Florida. I wonder if he goes south in the winter?

Thanks for this info.

Not surprised here in East Texas. We hear reports all the time from hunters. The Sabine River Authority has some interesting material to contemplate as to habitat in our neck of the woods;
The Sabine River Basin is relatively long and narrow, with a length of approximately 300 miles and a maximum width of approximately 48 miles. It is roughly crescent-shaped, extending in a general southeasterly direction for a distance of some 165 miles from its source in Hunt County, Texas, to the Texas-Louisiana border in the vicinity of Logansport, Louisiana, thence in a southerly direction to Sabine Lake and the Gulf of Mexico. The Sabine River Basin is bounded on the north and northeast by the Red River Basin, on the east by the Calcasieu River Basin, on the west by the Neches River Basin, and on the northwest by the Trinity River Basin. Drainage area = Approximately 9,756 square miles; 7,396 square miles in Texas.
Lot of very inaccessible real estate to roam virtually undetected.

Back