• NEW! LOWEST RATES EVER -- SUPPORT THE SHOW AND ENJOY THE VERY BEST PREMIUM PARACAST EXPERIENCE! Welcome to The Paracast+, eight years young! For a low subscription fee, you can download the ad-free version of The Paracast and the exclusive, member-only, After The Paracast bonus podcast, featuring color commentary, exclusive interviews, the continuation of interviews that began on the main episode of The Paracast. We also offer lifetime memberships! Flash! Take advantage of our lowest rates ever! Act now! It's easier than ever to susbcribe! You can sign up right here!

Subscribe to The Paracast Newsletter!

Left at east gate

Stano123

Paranormal Novice
Ive recently just got this book, well I say recently,I got it at Christmas. Anyway I started and got through the first few chapters, and as often happens I put it down and forgot pick it up again. One thing I found though, I felt like I was being told a story but not in a believable way, if anything, "too precise" and " too clear". I know details in a UFO book shouldn't be used as a criticism, but it felt odd reading it. I think I just dont believe anyone could have such perfect memory of events so far back, especially insignificant snippets of childhood and early life. I got the impression I was being shown this perfect idea and the details were there to convince rather than shape the experience.

Should I give it another go, what did you think of the book?

It's been YEARS since i read the book. You have to remember that Larry and Peter broke that story years and year before it became so darned popular. Larry got the The Halt Tape to the public. I remember liking the book, it had an immediacy because its proximity in time to the actual event. I had just heard a live interview on Don Eckers UFO's Tonite! (that's how it was spelled) so i am sure having heard these guys for 2 hours explain the book make it a lot more enjoyable for me to read. One thing that stuck with me all these years where how Larry wasn't sure how much of the event itself and the follow up strangeness on the base as well as in his life were memories that were tampered with either by local or non local forces. In the end maybe i am looking with rose colored glasses but that book has always held a spooky and strange place in my heart. Never met Larry or Peter but i can't but help but like those guys.

The book is dry and text bookish but if you push through, it is very insightful and does a good job at showing all the facts and most of the perspectives. There is no shortage of "information" on this case. Credibility of the major witnesses is still the big issue. With Jim Peniston going "off the reservation" With the psychic binary code stuff and the ever newly discovered page in the "notebook", it's not hard to see why. In my estimation, Col. Halt is still the best witness.

I have personally stood where he stood and walk through that Forrest at night. I can say with certainty that it was not the lighthouse. The Forrest that is there now is not the same in that existed at that time. There was a fire several years later and large section of the area were destroyed. Nonetheless, even with a new growth Forrest from 50-60 yards in it is impossible to see the light from the lighthouse shinning through the trees. Even at the fields edge it is absolutely impossible to mistake the lighthouse light for anything other than sourced far off in the distance.

In my estimation, they either saw what they said they saw or they are flat out lying. I just don't think that there was much of a chance that this was a simple misidentification.

But, back to the main theme of the thread, yes, the book is worth taking another look at.

This website is dated Aug 2009@ Google

This website is important, because 2010 was not the 'first' time Jim Penniston talked about binary!!

Binary code in his notebook revealing Dec 2010@

"Important."

From there, Major Malcolm Zickler ordered Penniston to report to the Air Force Office of Special Investigations (AFOSI) for a meeting to tell his story to an AFOSI Special Agent and a US Air Force Major.

Back in 1997, Penniston told me that he deliberately left out the most significant part about reaching out to touch the symbols on the glowing, triangle-shaped craft and receiving information in his mind.
......................................................................................................................................................
" Thoughts"

Jim Penniston retired 1993 from the US Airforce.

The case was known about in the 1980's- but Jim Penniston was an unknown entity ( till the 90's)

Jim Penniston (reference in green), lied to his superiors, and covered up important information about the case. To protect his job or whatnot, who knows? But he will withhold stuff if need be!!

Yet this may well explain why he kept the binary code in the notebook to himself till 2010?
......................................................................................................................................................

September 10, 1994, Jim Penniston underwent hypnosis on his own with a hypnotherapist

Hypnosis Was this wise?

The date is significant though because the word binary (communication) is mentioned 1994 .

Jim revealed during this session.
he received information after touching the craft’s symbols that chromosomes were gathered for different reasons, particularly to help the time travelers because they have a “physical problem” and Penniston felt sympathy for them.

Sergeant Penniston placed his hand on the craft’s engraved symbols, he thinks he activated technology that sent light containing binary code communication into his mind – from time travelers and their time machine craft.

This is in the book from 1997 taken from the audiocassette of that 1994 session to transcribe!!!

The dates are important because for one it shows the binary stuff isn't new per se.

Is it real? Meaning was this a communication from a non human source? I'm open minded because he clearly believes he received this binary communication and believed this as so in 1994 Of course then in 1994 he could be lying and maybe he is confused about those events?

Good post Kieran. I enjoyed reading Left at East Gate too. My gut feelings...?
1. these guys are the real deal, despite possible confusion arising from their "debriefing experiences".
2. "time travel" is an important factor in the phenomenon generally and the so called 'cover up'

I do think it is weird that he lied about the notebook to his superiors. Then talked about the binary code and then I believe he "decided to release" more pages from that notebook. Personally, I want to see the entire notebook. It just seems too convenient that he keeps producing different additions to the story. I will say that there is no real way to study the affects of such a close sighting on the human psyche. So who knows, perhaps this case is part high strangeness and part damaged psyche. I do think he saw a craft and that he was close to it. I thin he probably even took some notes and drawings of it. Perhaps he even touched it. I am less certain about the encoded message or the released extra pages.

This particular UFO chapter has aways captivated me for its rich pageantry of detail and variety of experience. If this was not an alien craft then the military's ability to carry off elaborate psych experiments are as devious as they are creative in their ability to startlingly convince witnesses. I don't doubt their cruel capacity to pull such an event off. Perhaps many examples of UFO lore are nothing more than experiments gone wrong/right. Roswell, Betty and Barney, Cash Landrum and Rendlesham all strike me as likely candidates for this more earthly explanation.

Considering the cold war tensions at the time of Rendlesham, military psych experiments involving senior staff witnesses seem unlikely, but who knows? I agree with Burnt State about "more earthly explanations" - and after listening to these shows for several years now, my thing is... I'm less & less inclined toward the ETH - when it comes to 'nuts & bolts' encounters. I'm more inclined these days to think it's "our tech" but from the future, messing with the timeline. A sort of "Terminator Hypothesis" - they don't have to be thousands of years more advanced. It would explain, why the space brothers are bothered about our nuclear ambitions. Why the government (if they're in on it) "Can't Tell the People" - I don't buy the religious implosion argument of disclosure. It also covers many other disparate aspects of the phenomenon - like plant & species sampling, mutes, back engineering and also why "they have a physical problem and Penniston felt sympathy for them" You hear that over and over again. Maybe surviving a global catastrophe as a species, would leave us feeling a bit soul less?

This particular UFO chapter has aways captivated me for its rich pageantry of detail and variety of experience. If this was not an alien craft then the military's ability to carry off elaborate psych experiments are as devious as they are creative in their ability to startlingly convince witnesses. I don't doubt their cruel capacity to pull such an event off. Perhaps many examples of UFO lore are nothing more than experiments gone wrong/right. Roswell, Betty and Barney, Cash Landrum and Rendlesham all strike me as likely candidates for this more earthly explanation.

No Halt tape of the second night of events. I would be leaning to a military explanation for those events.

Halt was during the 80's the deputy commander of a US NATO base. If he could not explain the second night of events, i don't think anyone could, to be honest.

In regards to Jim Penniston. Why he kept the binary code to himself till 2010- we shall never find out, i think.

The wonder for me now is it genuine?

Clearly very few knew of it before 2010. But the 'fact' Jim mentioned in 1994 binary i think is significant. Below is what Jim claimed in 1994

"Sergeant Penniston placed his hand on the craft’s engraved symbols, he thinks he activated technology that sent light containing binary code communication into his mind – from time travelers and their time machine craft.

So is he not telling everyone here in 1994 he got a binary communication from a non human source?

I think we can take from it he is lying? Is he telling the truth (the truth) himself believes to be true.

Has his mind been manipulated? By who and why?

If this happened. How many more involved had their minds messed with?

Has there ever been a documented case of a military psychological warfare experiment conducted with a UFO theme? This is not a rhetorical question, I really don't know the answer. if there is then this would have some basis in demonstrable historical fact. Otherwise I think we are trying to explain an enigma with a dubiously sourced theory. I do get that the speculation fairy has to visit this topic, but I have personally never put much into the "secret psy-ops experiment" basket.

I think we can take from it he is lying? Is he telling the truth (the truth) himself believes to be true.

Has his mind been manipulated? By who and why?

If this happened. How many more involved had their minds messed with?
Was not the base itself plagued with high suicide rates amongst personnel? Or am I confusing this with another case? Was not the suicide rate one of the features talked about in Parlament? Mental manipulation and the military seem to also have a long history. That there is always more to these stories seems par for the course.

The point regarding the truths that we believe - this is its own separate issue. Over time all memories take different shapes. The more intense the more likely we are to supply additional details that overtime, upon repetition, coalesce into a new reality.

Ron's question, along with the low likelihood that such an experiment would take place on a base with nuclear missles and senior personnel in this era is an important consideration. Like Roswell, these cases that move further and further away from their date of origin the more they simply become UFO myth and lore. What an reliably be said about this case at this point in time?

Was there earthquakes week prior to incident or large water deposits underground such as aquifers?
Could it been Sat's technology playing with these guys has anyone got Sat's documentations of that period overhead ?
Could it been the same events as so called crop circles microwaves effects ? not the plank hoaxers.

that book has always held a spooky and strange place in my heart.

Same here. Robbins did a masterful job of portraying events from his and Warren's point of view. I still think Rendlesham has a strangeness and credibility quotient that easily eclipses Roswell.

But so many things about it are pure and classic ufology. It begins with credible witnesses recounting incredible things, with a smattering of documentation and physical evidence in hand. The whole affair then proceeds to publicly discredit itself. Although in the historical context of multiple witness sightings, eleventh hour revelations like Penniston's binary code are almost pro forma. Many close encounter witnesses become "erratic" over time. And this wall began cracking early on when Warren and Halt sought to publicly discredit each other, with Halt stating outright that major players had been "meddled with" such that their testimony might not be valid, and Warren admitting he was strongly "meddled with" but was nonetheless a major player.

Here's the same old frustration. Something profoundly strange must have happened at Bentwaters in 1980. We have no idea what.

Robbins is a sharp and articulate guy and I loved the book. But I had to jump off with the 'orgone energy' thing. But--we are faced with the same old problem: Exactly where on the strangeness spectrum do we jump off?

Exactly where on the strangeness spectrum do we jump off?

That us am excellent question and not one that is easily answered. I think you have to address it from 2 directions. First being your own comfort level. Typically, the longer you deal in the UFO world the more comfortable you get with the High Strangeness aspect. The second is a more public consideration. To avoid being grouped into the tin foil hat crowd you have to abandon ship fairly early. I think that the trick is to establish the anomalous facts and break them down into which ones evidence existence of an unknown phenomenon and then create distance from the ones that require illogical leaps of acceptance. Now, when do you abandon ship on the entire incident?? For me it's when the known logical facts that the incident is founded on begin to crumble. Those pillars are surely weakened in this case but they aren't completely eroded yet.

Back