• NEW! LOWEST RATES EVER -- SUPPORT THE SHOW AND ENJOY THE VERY BEST PREMIUM PARACAST EXPERIENCE! Welcome to The Paracast+, eight years young! For a low subscription fee, you can download the ad-free version of The Paracast and the exclusive, member-only, After The Paracast bonus podcast, featuring color commentary, exclusive interviews, the continuation of interviews that began on the main episode of The Paracast. We also offer lifetime memberships! Flash! Take advantage of our lowest rates ever! Act now! It's easier than ever to susbcribe! You can sign up right here!

Subscribe to The Paracast Newsletter!

June 7, 2009 - Greg Bishop

Very interesting comments about the sound of the show. I'm just amazed that people don't hear the difference. But then again, the whole world is listening to the lowest common denominator aka mp3 :frown: Sonic fidelity has degraded so much since we left the analog domain ...

Anyway, it's all good. I enjoyed the show :D

Actually swatcher after making my comments yesterday I listened to this weeks show and I did notice some audio hiccups that I dont usually.

All in all though, compared to other podcasts, the Paracast sounds great and has pretty high production values.

Greg's levels were a bit strong but otherwise sounded fine to me on headphones and I always enjoy listening his views. In fact, maybe Greg should ask for a bit of technical advice from the hosts in getting his own show properly hosted w/ a podcast subscription feed? He really has some great interviews with people who don't get or perhaps seek much exposure and they are probably languishing in a shoebox under his bed.

I was kind of hard pressed to really find any particular points to vehemently disagree with on the topics that were discussed. That's not to say I agree with him 100% as my views on this stuff are constantly shifting but his general ufological worldview seems to me to be at least as valid as anybody else's that I've run across thus far.

I am increasingly shifting towards the view that it is pointless to expend too much energy on "educating the public" or winning some kind of propaganda battle for popular opinion on the legitimacy of the mystery. I tend to think that the subject is so deep and complex that the kinds of people who are not capable of distinguishing the differences between Dr. Vallee and Dr. Greer are going to be of little use in furthering our understanding anyways. The kinds of minds that we need looking at this are going to be inevitably attracted to it regardless of the surface layer of bullshit. Just do good honest work and make it available to everyone. Let it stand or fall on it's own.

I also have to thank Greg for introducing me to the work of Pazzaglini with whom I was unfamiliar. I've had a search running on abebooks.com for Symbolic Messages for probably close to two years now. I got a mail from the search engine last week while I was sitting at my computer. In less than 7 minutes since the mail was sent somebody had already purchased it. Somebody should scan it in to a pdf.

I'd very much like to hear Greg back on the show in the future.

Another fantastic episode. Almost a half hour on RAW and it still isn't enough for me...:) I missed a few spots on first listen, but did we ever get the entirety of Greg's reading list?

As for audio quality, it's definitely good enough for a podcast, but could sound better.

I suggest creating two versions and two feeds, a free lo-fi version and a paid subscription hi-fi version for audiophiles. That way you don't spend the time making two versions for nothing, and you don't drive away dial up people.

^^ The problem is, the use of Skype will always have inherent audio issues due to current tech.
The other issue is that we have to also depend on a guest's audio capability. Some have good mics, most don't even when they have a Skype setup. We are also dealing with a variety of phone connections, and even landlines are definitely low-fi, even when clear and robust.

So I would doubt that the audio quality can get that much better -- at least for now.

Gene Steinberg;62201 So I would doubt that the audio quality can get that much better -- at least for now.[/QUOTE said:
Beats the hell out of the telegraph.

I just finished listening. I thought the sound was fine. Greg is a cool guy. It's good to hear you give Robert Anton Wilson the respect he deserves. I once actually had the honor of hanging out with him and Reverend Ivan Stang at the same time. It's sad that he died in such relative obscurity. The family is auctioning off many of his personal belongings to pay for his son's medical bills. Anyone not familiar with his work needs to read it all...now. He was one of the wisest men on the planet, in my opinion.
The Robert Anton Wilson Website - RAW Auction

<input id="gwProxy" type="hidden"><!--Session data--><input onclick="jsCall();" id="jsProxy" type="hidden"><input id="gwProxy" type="hidden"><!--Session data--><input onclick="jsCall();" id="jsProxy" type="hidden"><input id="gwProxy" type="hidden"><!--Session data--><input onclick="jsCall();" id="jsProxy" type="hidden">

Hey there. Kinda new to the forums so hello everyone.

I have no complaints about the audio quality. The voices of Gene and Dave sound very clear - and if the guest doesn't have exactly a professional radio studio in their home, that's not the hosts' fault. :p

Just half way through and I can say that I agree with almost all of what Greg is saying, and that's saying something!

lol I look forward to much confusion between Schuyler and Schuler.

(ps. welcome to the forum)
Lol, I didn't realize the similarity until it was too late.

Can I change my screen name? If I change it to my first name it's sure to disambiguate. unless there's some other Fabiano around, hahaha.

Just finished listening to Greg Bishop's episode. Way to go, Gene and Dave. It really got you guys out of the hook of having the it's-all-in-the-bible dude. :p

I agree with David's "we are not the centre of the universe". But if consciousness permeates throughout the universe, in different forms and degrees, then there would always be something around to percieve an event, in some way shape or form. If no ones around to hear the tree falling, then a deer might have been there, maybe even the other trees percieved on some primative level, and perhaps even the molecules in the air! And, if we all evolved from the same stuff, then perhaps physical evolution is side by side with the evolution of consciousness, and perhaps there is a certain commonality to the consciousness of all life forms on this planet which isn't found on other planets.

I saw an interesting a while ago about evolution that showed how evolution itself had to evolve into the form we know it as today. The microbes of early earth transferred genes in a way which could not be called evolution. This is the transferral of information essentially. Perhaps what we call consciousness is the transferral of information, to use scientific terms (I personally prefer to embrace the metaphor), then any transferral of information by an independent entity is some form of consciousness perhaps???????????

Evolution could be a driving force of consciousness, which is why it maybe "caught on" as a force which can tranfer information in the best way.
You guys have got me thinking............:rolleyes:

I enjoyed this weeks show very much and appreciate Greg's straight shooting style.

Also his no nonsense attitude towards certain less than credible people involved with this confusing topic is always good to hear. If others have a problem with that then it's their loss in my opinion.

The fact that he doesn't attach himself to any particular theory or hypothesis, allowing flexibility with his thoughts surely has to be a healthy attitude.

"Bend like a reed in the wind Grasshopper". Poor old David Carradine huh.

As far as audio quality goes, I never have a problem and I was a little surprised that this came up at all. Considering the standard of other podcasts and the fact that this is a free service I think complaints are totally irrelevant and nit picking to say the least.

It puts me in mind of the time when Carl Sagans show Cosmos was on the TV here
in the UK (my all time favourite TV show btw). I was always very irritated by those people that complained about his voice, rarely did I hear anything about what the man actually had to say.
Now that I have mentioned Carl, and if either Gene or David read this. I have often thought it would be great to hear Ann Druyan on the show, Carls widow. as I for one would like to know more about his personal thoughts on the whole topic of UFO's and I feel she would be in such a unique position to expand on all that it might be an interesting show for all.

Oh yeah and one more thing. Thanks Dave for the term "Meat Space". Never heard that before and I want to pinch that as an Album title.
Unless of course Matt Deacon beats me to it :) . Love you Matt.

Mark

David, maybe if these things are manifestations in some way of a collective unconscious, and collective perhaps in the sense that it may include everything on the planet in some way, and maybe even beyond (though links would become more tenuous the further you get away from something, in the ancestral sense), then you mightn't have had a hallucination in the normal sense of the word, but perhaps it was still a manifestation of a greater form of consciousness which is more than the sum of it's parts and thus is experienced physically, but is still some sort of mental effect manifested without warning, and projected with regards to time, but perhaps with regards to place more so than time (ie ghosts).

Now if these effects which manifest are imprinted in some way upon this higher form of consciousness, then perhaps these manifestations are experienced in the same way for a group of individuals. Perhaps the effect solidifies with the more people who are viewing it, and thus becomes more defined?

David, maybe if these things are manifestations in some way of a collective unconscious, and collective perhaps in the sense that it may include everything on the planet in some way, and maybe even beyond (though links would become more tenuous the further you get away from something, in the ancestral sense), then you mightn't have had a hallucination in the normal sense of the word, but perhaps it was still a manifestation of a greater form of consciousness which is more than the sum of it's parts and thus is experienced physically, but is still some sort of mental effect manifested without warning, and projected with regards to time, but perhaps with regards to place more so than time (ie ghosts).

Now if these effects which manifest are imprinted in some way upon this higher form of consciousness, then perhaps these manifestations are experienced in the same way for a group of individuals. Perhaps the effect solidifies with the more people who are viewing it, and thus becomes more defined?

If your theory is true or at least part of it is true, it would seem reasonable that certain religious leaders would take advantage of that knowledge to keep their followers believing. What better way to solidify or ever create phenomena through mass ritual indoctrination. The Catholics and whatever the Vatican knows comes to mind for some reason.

Thanks to Gene, David, and Greg for the great episode.

I really enjoyed the whole "shooting the shit" aspect of this episode, I felt it was really relaxed and it gave a great opportunity to talk. In fact, when the episode ended I thought that it was shorter than the others until I checked my pod. So, I started it over and gave it another listen just to make sure I caught everything.

I'd like to have both Greg and Robert on at the same time as I am still totally confused about the whole MJ-12 thing, and even though it's been covered head to toe, I still have a lot of questions and queries regarding the whole topic. Maybe even having Stan on to get the other sides opinion on the issue on the table.

Once again, really enjoyed the episode, and though no real mind blowing information was discussed, it was a great episode for the listener to just sit back and absorb. Thanks again guys, very entertaining.

If your theory is true or at least part of it is true, it would seem reasonable that certain religious leaders would take advantage of that knowledge to keep their followers believing. What better way to solidify or ever create phenomena through mass ritual indoctrination. The Catholics and whatever the Vatican knows comes to mind for some reason.

I would agree with you, to a certain extent. I'd say that it would be very difficult to take advantage of such a theory on purpose. However, if enough "bad vibrations" were flying about the place, then surely that outcome would be a likelyhood. Who knows? :rolleyes:

Well I think certain religious leaders and cult leaders( is there a difference) know what they are doing. I guess it is possible that some of the leaders are sold on the reality to which they preach. If the pope wants to spread the word of "God" then what is up with all the secrecy?

I think it would be more a reflective phenomena, so it would be reflective of people in general, and anyone trying to influence it would be only a small portion of the people, so it would reflect people's reactions to them being forced into a belief system rather than anyone influencing it. Completely reflective of the masses, and therefore beyond the control of any one party.

I think it would be more a reflective phenomena, so it would be reflective of people in general, and anyone trying to influence it would be only a small portion of the people, so it would reflect people's reactions to them being forced into a belief system rather than anyone influencing it. Completely reflective of the masses, and therefore beyond the control of any one party.

Good point.

Back