• NEW! LOWEST RATES EVER -- SUPPORT THE SHOW AND ENJOY THE VERY BEST PREMIUM PARACAST EXPERIENCE! Welcome to The Paracast+, eight years young! For a low subscription fee, you can download the ad-free version of The Paracast and the exclusive, member-only, After The Paracast bonus podcast, featuring color commentary, exclusive interviews, the continuation of interviews that began on the main episode of The Paracast. We also offer lifetime memberships! Flash! Take advantage of our lowest rates ever! Act now! It's easier than ever to susbcribe! You can sign up right here!

Subscribe to The Paracast Newsletter!

June 7, 2009 - Greg Bishop

Free episodes:

swatcher

Skilled Investigator
Hi Gene and David,

I'm just starting to listen to the show now, but I already have an issue. Maybe it's just me, but would it be possible to improve the sound quality of the show? Some compression artifacts are really starting to bother me. (They actually drive me crazy!) I would have no problem with twice the size of data, but hi-fi quality.

I know it's a free podcast and you guys are doing the best you can, but at this point I'd be happy to pay some money to hear your show in a better quality.

All the best.

Hmmm

This is the absolute truth: Not only have I never had audio issues with the Paracast, but its one of the best sounding podcasts I listen to (as far as audio quality).

Would be interested to hear what other people think.

Just had a quick listen & it sounds fine to me.Then again, after years of attending metal gigs my hearing is not what it once was. Compared to most of the other podcasts out there though, I'd have to agree with Gareth. Can't wait to hear this full episode.

I think the sound quality is just fine. That was a really good show. The range and depth of topics covered was awesome.

I think the level of spying on people of interest goes beyond phone and emaill exchanges and was quite surprised by Greg's thinking about this. I also just don't have the whatever this takes to be Ok with the games these agencies play that Greg apparently finds interesting to study

Don't get me wrong Greg I loved your talk and you are a super interesting guest.

The Sean David Morton story was very funny.

I totally understand when David said something like it is amazing that he had any sanity at all considering all his experiences. I also feel this way and at least I can pass as sane most of the time. I think it helps to have a well developed creative mind and outlet for experiencers. It must be more difficult for someone that believes what their culture says is acceptable as reality and then try to shove this phenonena into their reality tunnel.

Correct me if Im wrong, but doesnt Robert Hastings say that he got the host of 'UFO Cover Up Live!' to admit that Doty was Falcon?

So something doesnt add up there.

I think Swatcher might be confusing "data compression" with "audio compression."

The bit depth and sample rate of the delivery media doesn't bother me at all.

However, as far as "audio compression," it is true that the voices on the paracast are compressed to hell, but i'd rather have that than one of these podcasts where every speaker comes at different levels ranging 15 dB. After all, we're talking about talk "radio" and not music.

I usually listen to these things at night when I'm trying to fall asleep and some podcast are a bit problematic with that.

One example (By far not the worst) is Paratopia where The Clueless One's voice is sometimes at least 6dB lower in apparent volume than Jeff Ritzman's.

That being said, to ease up on some of the limiting on the paracast would do it no harm.

Hmmm

This is the absolute truth: Not only have I never had audio issues with the Paracast, but its one of the best sounding podcasts I listen to (as far as audio quality).

Would be interested to hear what other people think.
It sounds better than 90% of the others I'm familiar with. I'm a little hard of hearing after years of working in a machine shop, and I have no problems with "muddiness" that I do with a lot of other programs.
Hey, Dave or Gene, have you checked out this program? It's pretty cool.

Audio Expander - Audio Booster Software - Virtual Surround Sound - AstoundSound Expander
<input id="gwProxy" type="hidden"><!--Session data--><input onclick="jsCall();" id="jsProxy" type="hidden"><input id="gwProxy" type="hidden"><!--Session data--><input onclick="jsCall();" id="jsProxy" type="hidden">

There are areas where we'd like to see audio quality improve. One impediment is Skype, which we use for conferencing me and David, and our guests. It has chronic duplexing problems, which means if you talk over someone else, you get either distortion or drop outs. Other compression issues arise from sending the stream out at a bit rate that makes it possible for people with dial up connections (and there are still too many of those) to be able to hear the show without difficulty.

I'm always looking for better methods, however. :)

I've never had any concerns about the audio, especially compared to the abysmal audio quality of some podcasts. I gave up trying to listen to one show because the audio only came through one of my MP3 player's earphones, other shows have a huge difference in volume between the hosts and their guests, and others yet are recorded at such a low volume, they're nigh on impossible to listen to. I think The Paracast sounds pretty acceptable, given the level of compression the audio file has undergone.

Paracast definitely has better sound quality than most, eerie radio drives me mad with the mumbling and low levels in fact this weeks guest is so bad I gave up listening.

GregB is bit far from his mic at some points in this weeks episode but it wasn't difficult to hear what he was saying.

I was very interested to hear your explorations on perception -- how our preconceived beliefs might color our perceptions and so forth. I think David mentioned this when talking about the subconscious.

This topic was really brought home to me recently when my wife sent me a rather intriguing video. It was about a presentation some speaker was giving about perception. He was prompting his audience to, in turn, watch another video that showed two groups of three people each. One group was dressed in white. The other, black. Both groups were passing a basketball.

The task for the audience was to closely observe the white-clad group and count how many times their basketball changed hands. At first, it's pretty easy. But then they speed it up and it gets much harder to follow the action. I counted about seventeen passes, but I might have missed one or two.

Now, you watch the video again. This time, don't bother counting anything. Just watch.

Very clearly -- right in the middle of the entire scene -- a man in a gorilla suit walks into the frame, waves and walks off. I didn't see that at all (the first time). Even though it had been right there -- in front of my face -- I never saw it.

People all the time say "I know what I've seen." But, in truth, you don't. Everything in objective reality is sensed (by us) subjectively. What we see with our eyes our brains must interpret.

If the appropriate area of our brain circuitry is being misdirected, we not only will not see what's right before our eyes -- WE ACTUALLY CAN'T SEE IT. So, in theory, our brains can also do the reverse -- project something into our field of view that isn't there at all.

We literally cannot trust our own eyes. As the guest remarked, we don't even have the language to deal with the incomprehensible.

If the appropriate area of our brain circuitry is being misdirected, we not only will not see what's right before our eyes -- WE ACTUALLY CAN'T SEE IT. So, in theory, our brains can also do the reverse -- project something into our field of view that isn't there at all.

We literally cannot trust our own eyes. As the guest remarked, we don't even have the language to deal with the incomprehensible.

With the greatest respect... this is a cop out.

I think this is a category error -- in this case mistrusting your internal visual modeling system because there is no semantic category to put it into. Just because a word doesn't exist doesn't mean the language can't be extended to encompass it.

Take quantum chromodynamics - quarks don't have colors, they're just assigned as a shorthand property along with spin up, spin down, etc.

Along with the oft-quoted "the North American natives didn't see the European tall ships because they had no context to see them" tale... is BS.

This is a repeated pattern, with the aborigines ignoring the Europeans offshore but reacting when they become a potential threat by attempting to land. Each time they either flee or meet the explorers with spears and threats, and are frequently met with musket fire in return. A few days later, Banks is still baffled by the indifference: “Not one was once observd to stop and look towards the ship; they pursued their way in all appearance intirely unmovd by the neighbourhood of so remarkable an object as a ship must necessarily be to people who have never seen one.” 10

This reveals what is going on. Used to being the star attraction wherever they go, the Europeans fail to realise that some people may have other priorities. When you are living on a thin edge of survival, anything not an immediate threat or a source of food is of little interest. Their actions show that the aborigines invariably assumed the visitors were hostile, so it is understandable why they did not go out to greet them. Clearly the aborigines did not think that this outsize canoe was quite so ‘remarkable’ as Banks himself did, 11 though they were always ready to react when a landing was threatened. But as wheelchair users and D-list celebrities could tell him, just because people ignore you it doesn’t mean you really have vanished.
(http://www.forteantimes.com/strangedays/science/20/questioning_perceptual_blindness.html)

Ignoring something (like we do to UFOs) does not equal not seeing it. And seeing things you don't understand and struggling to find the words is not the same as not consciously seeing it at all.

Are we willfully blind at times? Sure. Do we "see" new things all the time... yes. Look at discoveries like this that challenge our semantic categories of physical phenomena.

So if our Pleidian space brothers decloak one of their beamships over the superbowl at halftime... I'm sure people will be able to see it. And struggle to find the words.

Now that being said, I have watched the video in question in a training event and missed the gorilla! So yes, we can be fooled. We can by necessity over focus on given areas and miss the big picture. It's human nature. But to extend that thought into we can't see at all what is within our visual field because no internal conceptual model exists for that event is too much.

Along with the oft-quoted "the North American natives didn't see the European tall ships because they had no context to see them" tale... is BS.

(http://www.forteantimes.com/strangedays/science/20/questioning_perceptual_blindness.html)

Wow! Thanks! THATS where that story comes from! I knew I'd read it somewhere before. Obviously it has been spread to other voyages, such as that of Columbus, where it couldn't possibly have happened and been reported. But---it is not apocryphal. Joseph Banks, President of the Royal Society and one of the foremost naturalists, botanists, and scientists in the Age of Discovery, accompanied Cook on his initial voyage. And yet you dismiss his observations, which are quite epecific with regards to behavior, with a couple of sentences.

Considering your signature, I think that is especially ironic. :)

I dunno. Kind of a mixed bag for me. My problem is that I find Bishop to be a bit bombastic and belligerent. He’s way too loud a personality for me. His little slug fest with Hastings on these forums is an example of that and he comes across in speaking the same way. On the other hand he was certainly friendly and in a good mood and it was nice to have an ‘un-contested show’ after last week. I think he reminds me of a relative I don’t care for so I’m saying this is my problem, not his.

I enjoyed the parts of the show where he recounted events in the field that happened to him. I’ve become re-interested in Doty, for example, and I found that part of the show fascinating. I really found myself at sea when he was being more philosophical. I found some of that hard to follow and hard to swallow. Anybody can talk about that stuff and pretend to be erudite, but only he can talk about his interviews with Doty and that is where he provides a unique and intriguing perspective. Thanks!

I went to his web sites to explore a little more of what he has done. He had a magazine, Excluded Middle, which lasted for nine issues. I know it’s a tough business. I published my own newsletter for three years and it’s a lot of work for little gain. He published a book on the magazine articles and also ‘Project Beta’ on the Bennewitz story. Curiously, one of the most positive reviews on Amazon is by Nick Redfern, one of his buddies who shares one of his blogs, and one 'Stuart Miller,' whose only other reviews are of Redfern’s books. I’m left scratching my head over this. It seems a little too cozy to me.

Although there were hints of it throughout the show, in the end he was talking very Basset-like. He says he doesn’t worry about the charlatans in the field because you can’t do anything about them anyway and more will crop up if one is exposed. He says he doesn’t bother to listen to Greer because his mind is already made up. Yet he admits to not knowing of Bill Knell. I assume his mind is made up now there, too.

But how? By the Paracast outing the creep and showing him for the charlatan he is. He seems to be leaving this type of work to others. I wish he would change his stance on this. He also tends to drop names: ‘I talked with Vallee. I talked with Leary.” I guess the bottom line for me is that he is not as big a name in the UFO field as he would like to think he is. I know those could be taken as ‘fightin’ words’ so I will apologize in advance. I thought about just not posting this, but then I thought, ‘Meh? What the hell…’ Nearly everything else has been about the quality of the audio.

Wow! Thanks! THATS where that story comes from! I knew I'd read it somewhere before. Obviously it has been spread to other voyages, such as that of Columbus, where it couldn't possibly have happened and been reported. But---it is not apocryphal. Joseph Banks, President of the Royal Society and one of the foremost naturalists, botanists, and scientists in the Age of Discovery, accompanied Cook on his initial voyage. And yet you dismiss his observations, which are quite epecific with regards to behavior, with a couple of sentences.

I disagree with the notion that the natives did not see the ships when they looked at them. I do think that they simply either didn't know how to respond or didn't care.

Considering your signature, I think that is especially ironic. :)

I'm a contrarian; it's in my nature to contradict. Even myself ;)

I agree 100% that culture and personal experience shape your interpretation of an experience. But I disagree that it makes you pretend you didn't see it at all. If you focus on the forest, you may miss the trees. But you will still see a forest if you've never seen one before and don't know what the word means.

Schuyler

Not sure if I agree with your assessment of Gregs assessment of himself. (That he thinks he is a big name in the UFO field). Ive listened to a number of Gregs audio programs and the only sense I get is of a very curious person interested in fortean topics. He gets interesting guests and asks great questions.

re "He talks Bassett like", I guess you could make that comparison on a superficial level, but there is a huge difference. Bassett makes those excuses to justify his involvement with said people, while Greg just doesnt want anything to do with them.

Thats my 0.2cents anyway.

Schuyler,

My problem is that I find Bishop to be a bit bombastic and belligerent. He’s way too loud a personality for me. His little slug fest with Hastings on these forums is an example of that and he comes across in speaking the same way. On the other hand he was certainly friendly and in a good mood and it was nice to have an ‘un-contested show’ after last week. I think he reminds me of a relative I don’t care for so I’m saying this is my problem, not his.
I think that I may have come across as loud because I was apparently turned way up in the mix with a lot of low-end frequencies coming through (via Skype VOIP and my microphone.) It kind of startled me too, when I first listened to it. In interviews, I try to emphasize that I don't know everything, and neither does anyone else. If that was not apparent, I don't know what to say. I also enjoyed the interview quite a lot, so I got excited about certain things. Got to learn to hold it in, I guess.

Funny that you don't find Mr. Hastings "bombastic" and "belligerent." I actually tried to compliment him and he brought up my "naivete" about the whole MJ-12/ Doty thing, and used asides about my "ignorance of the current literature" to imply that I was willfully ignoring certain aspects of the issue. Hastings started the discussion based on a post I made at ufomystic. I tried to explain how I came to my conclusions, which he seemingly chose to ignore, particularly as the last thing I asked was how he could be sure of his sources (which surprisingly were Doty, Collins, and a television producer) when indentifying "Falcon." I could have gone on the attack and baited him about it, but chose to drop it as he seemed to want to do the same. I didn't bring our argument up on the program for the same reason. It's just not that important in the big picture, and the argument would probably never end, since we're both convinced by our evidence.

Anybody can talk about that stuff and pretend to be erudite, but only he can talk about his interviews with Doty and that is where he provides a unique and intriguing perspective. Thanks!
And thank you for a well-balanced commentary.

Curiously, one of the most positive reviews on Amazon is by Nick Redfern, one of his buddies who shares one of his blogs, and one 'Stuart Miller,' whose only other reviews are of Redfern’s books. I’m left scratching my head over this. It seems a little too cozy to me.
Perceptive of you. Nick wrote that review when we didn't know each other as well, and I didn't even know Stuart Miller when he wrote his. We became online friends afterwords. Both of them are quite interested in the government/ intel/ UFO story, which would predispose them to positive assessments. What I'm trying to say is that I did not try to influence their opinions in any way.

The other reviews range from quite positive to somewhat negative. None of most negative seem to have digested the point that the book was more of a warning about the quality of the message and the messenger than any sort of attack on the UFO community. UFO researchers seem to have the most negative reviews, and I sense that they feel I am attacking their personal, emotional views on the subject, which was not the intention. However, opinions held mainly for emotional security should have no place in any sort of research.

in the end he was talking very Basset-like.
WHAT?!:p

He says he doesn’t worry about the charlatans in the field because you can’t do anything about them anyway and more will crop up if one is exposed.
I said that I don't do anything about them because I don't think it will make much difference and people like Gene and David (and Royce Meyers in the past) are doing a much better job of that already. If I was more "bombastic and belligerent" things might be different.

He says he doesn’t bother to listen to Greer because his mind is already made up. Yet he admits to not knowing of Bill Knell. I assume his mind is made up now there, too.
What is your point here? My mind is made up on certain people because of the noise in their message, and little if any signal, at least to me. I have heard, read, and talked to Greer. I think that's a pretty good background to make up one's mind. Knell has no real publications or point of view that I could remember, so he went in the "non-issue" box in my brain. When he commented on ufomystic and took me to task for something he knew little about, I looked at his site and found he was selling my 15-year old video without asking me. That made it more personal.

He seems to be leaving this type of work to others. I wish he would change his stance on this.
Thank you for having the faith in my integrity to write this. From my point of view, if I went after the charlatans and fuzzy-thinkers, I'd get in stupid fights with people which would make me irritated and waste my time. The debates I get in with those who have a bit on the ball are tiring enough!

He also tends to drop names: ‘I talked with Vallee. I talked with Leary.” I guess the bottom line for me is that he is not as big a name in the UFO field as he would like to think he is.
So when the show hosts "drop names" it's apparently not a problem for you. I don't think I am in any way a big name in the UFO field, and I don't care if I ever get to that point. Listen to what I said (or perhaps just implied) in the interview: I am most interested in having enough recognition amongst the people I respect so that I can ask them questions personally. Apart from that, my interest is in pursuing stories and theories that seem to point towards a better understanding of the UFO/ paranormal enigmas.

Project Beta was something that I wanted to write about (among many other subjects) and was lucky enough to get a publisher who was interested. It was not meant to be a crusade, an attack, an apology, or a coverup. It was my attempt to understand what went on in a period that many had argued passionately about, but few had talked to the principals in the story. I was in a lucky position to do that and I tried to report what I found in a hopefully balanced manner.

Thank you for taking the time to listen to the show and make some thoughtful comments, and looking around online to find out more about my interests. If you want to hear me asking the questions and quieting down a bit, check out my show sometime. You can listen to and/ or download some of them here. Older episodes going back almost six years are here.

I'm sorry if we don't agree on some things, but that's part of what makes life interesting!

Paracast definitely has better sound quality than most, eerie radio drives me mad with the mumbling and low levels in fact this weeks guest is so bad I gave up listening.
The levels or me? I just turned down the bass frequencies when listening to the show.

Greg saying that the sound quality wasn't up to par was in a word DISINFORMATION!

Therefore: GREG BISHOP IS A DISINFORMATION AGENT!

Fianally we have the proof we've been looking for.

I call SHENANIGANS!

Back