• NEW! LOWEST RATES EVER -- SUPPORT THE SHOW AND ENJOY THE VERY BEST PREMIUM PARACAST EXPERIENCE! Welcome to The Paracast+, eight years young! For a low subscription fee, you can download the ad-free version of The Paracast and the exclusive, member-only, After The Paracast bonus podcast, featuring color commentary, exclusive interviews, the continuation of interviews that began on the main episode of The Paracast. We also offer lifetime memberships! Flash! Take advantage of our lowest rates ever! Act now! It's easier than ever to susbcribe! You can sign up right here!

Subscribe to The Paracast Newsletter!

Journeys out of the Body!!

One of the uniqe thing's Robert Monroe did is,that on top of binaural beats,he sent one tone of a certain pitch into one ear and another slightly lower tone into the other.You can't hear either tone with your ears,but the brain picks up on the slight difference in tone and this creates the uniqe states of concsiousness that Monroe is famous for...

One of the uniqe thing's Robert Monroe did is,that on top of binaural beats,he sent one tone of a certain pitch into one ear and another slightly lower tone into the other.

But what you're describing is binaural beats, which Monroe didn't invent. I think he was the first (or one of) to apply binaural beats to altering consciousness though.
So he has the brand name "Hemi-Sync" patented or copyrighted, but not binaural beats.

My most recent out of body experience was back in April 2007 Easter. Since I don't follow Christian holidays except for Christmas I was not aware it was Easter.

I got up and started my day but then felt like I needed to rest so I laid back down. For some reason I put my arms in a cross like position. I was thinking about one of Alex Grey's ( New York artist) paintings not Christ. I got in a somewhat meditative state when I senced this energy and light. The light/energy seemed like stobe lights or something. These lights were on both my back ond front. I then was able to direct these lights with my mind. At some point I left my body. I did not fall asleep but I was in an altered state. Instead of seeing my bedroom I was outside somewhere. Suddenly I was in, what looked like, a large helium balloon. I saw all these men running around trying to stop me or something. This was a very pleasant bright experience. Suddenily I heard this male voice say dream scape and I was back in my body.

When I looked at the painting a few days later ,I have one of his Alex Grey's books ,I noticed that there were two people laying down. They did not have their arms like that but instead a cross was around them. I had thought there was only one person. The name of the painting was called living cross. OPPS I just looked at the book. It wasn't a painting but performance work. It reads LIVING CROSS Randolph street Gallery, Chicago, 1983. The name of the book is Sacred Mirrors.

I don't know if this is connected but is intersting. I found out several months later that a soon to be significant person in my life had gone to the nusrsing home that day. He passed away less than eight months later. Another singificant person connected with the other person had a vision that day too. Something that doesn't happend to the other that much.

They have all been rewarding...
Some of the states you pass through before reaching the out of body experience can be pretty nerv-wrecking,though.There is,for example,a level right on the edge of projection where you can begin to vibrate mentally (difficult to explain...),and it can be scary.In fact fear is the single biggest hurdle to climb in order to achive it!

I TOTALLY know what you mean!! I've been trying to get past this state for months with no success....my heart beats so fast....

I TOTALLY know what you mean!! I've been trying to get past this state for months with no success....my heart beats so fast....

I hear ya'...

There are several techniques for getting past this stage...
Many of them are very subtile.But the main thing is to stay calm(not easy),and check if there are parts of your body that are over-strained,and then focus on relaxing that area...

I refer you to the book "Astral Dynamics",by Bruce Moen,for a more complete explanation.He writes extensively on this phenomenon...

I refer you to the book "Astral Dynamics",by Bruce Moen,for a more complete explanation.He writes extensively on this phenomenon...

You mean Robert Bruce? That's who wrote "Astral Dynamics". But Bruce Moen wrote stuff like that too.
Do you ever go to the forums at astraldynamics.com or astralpulse.com? There was a guy named Frank Kepple on the latter and for a while he was one of the board's unofficial experts. He had the theory, which he said was really Robert Monroe's, that you don't leave your body so much as phase your awareness to another place. He called it phasing.

Frank left under "mysterious" circumstances after taking people's money for his online ap course, apparently he got really sick and/or died. They collected his key points here:
http://www.astralpulse.com/frankkepple.html

You mean Robert Bruce? That's who wrote "Astral Dynamics". But Bruce Moen wrote stuff like that too.
Do you ever go to the forums at astraldynamics.com or astralpulse.com? There was a guy named Frank Kepple on the latter and for a while he was one of the board's unofficial experts. He had the theory, which he said was really Robert Monroe's, that you don't leave your body so much as phase your awareness to another place. He called it phasing.

Frank left under "mysterious" circumstances after taking people's money for his online ap course, apparently he got really sick and/or died. They collected his key points here:
http://www.astralpulse.com/frankkepple.html

Thank you for correcting me,once again!
It was,of course,Robert Bruce who wrote "Astral Dynamics"...

I have heard about the "phasing theory" and It may have some merit.
But after having experimented with everything from RV,OBE and "Unity Consiousness" for about 12 years,I have,more or less,concluded that Mind really is beyond Time/Space,and therefore the experience of movement during OBE is only an illusion.Mind is,as I see it,always in a Unitive state and can not be divided...

I haven't been to websites you mentioned,but I'm gonna check it out...

Thank you for correcting me,once again!
It was,of course,Robert Bruce who wrote "Astral Dynamics"...

Hahaha, sorry, I just remember a lot of stuff about these authors from the time period I was reading so much about OOBEs. Still haven't had one though, but I think I came close.
I think the problem is I haven't stuck with it so far and, like has been said in this thread, fear is a big obstacle.

Thanks for the advice, Cosmic...I tried again last night and used that technique. It felt a little better, but the excitement and anticipation is what I need to take control over...there really isn't any fear

Hahaha, sorry, I just remember a lot of stuff about these authors from the time period I was reading so much about OOBEs. Still haven't had one though, but I think I came close.
I think the problem is I haven't stuck with it so far and, like has been said in this thread, fear is a big obstacle.

Like you guys (BrianNow and Nsa_Analyst),I really wanted to be able too produce the Out of Body state from normal,waking consiousness.But I found it very challenging,for the same reasons we have discussed.
Of all (100-200) the OBE's I have ever had,just 6-7 have come from going through the whole projection technique,from start to finish...

But I found that all the OBE practice actually made me wake up,in a "projection ready" state,while I was sleeping.In that state,all I had to do was think "Up!",to project out of the body..

Carlos Castaneda also had some good techniques for waking up during dreaming.One of them is in the book "the Art of Dreaming"(correct me if I'm wrong,Brian!),and involves staring at your hands before going to sleep.
The result is that when you fall asleep,you will automatically remember to look for your hands in the dream,thereby triggering the logical/analytical mind.
I have tried this once,and it actually worked!!While this may initially be a Lucid Dream,I have found that "moving" from LD too fulblown OBE's is very easy...

Thanks for the advice, Cosmic...I tried again last night and used that technique. It felt a little better, but the excitement and anticipation is what I need to take control over...there really isn't any fear

OK,NSA_Analyst,you have different problem,that I often come across in my Trancendental Meditation practice...

When I know I'm getting close to experiencing Samadhi/"Cosmic Concsiousness",I will often get "butterflies" in my stomach,and it's ends up spoiling it!!

There's a couple of ways of neutralizing this phenomenon;
  • Focus on one single point in your mind,so that the "internal video screen" shuts down.This must be done without straining the mind,and really is a virtueoso "balancing act"...
  • The other technique involves just letting your mind drift,and in that way "fooling it" past the difficullt stage...

Carlos Castaneda also had some good techniques for waking up during dreaming.One of them is in the book "the Art of Dreaming"(correct me if I'm wrong,Brian!),and involves staring at your hands before going to sleep.

Hey, with Castaneda you're on your own! I never read his stuff :p
But I have heard of that technique and it's probably a good idea. When I've tried stuff like that in a dream I lose the dream completely. I guess it just comes back to practice, practice, practice.

Hey, with Castaneda you're on your own! I never read his stuff :p
But I have heard of that technique and it's probably a good idea. When I've tried stuff like that in a dream I lose the dream completely. I guess it just comes back to practice, practice, practice.

If you found Bob Monroe's last book (Ultimate Journey) hard too swallow I wouldn't even bother pickin' up a book by Castaneda...

He's basically Monroe's "Bizarro World" twin.Which should tell you something!:D

Just read some of this stuff in this thread, This issue seems a little crazy to me and not very rational, just my opinion,Edgar cayce is a complete fraud and was never a person who had any insight to the future. :eek:

Just read some of this stuff in this thread, This issue seems a little crazy to me and not very rational, just my opinion,Edgar cayce is a complete fraud and was never a person who had any insight to the future. :eek:

Sorry Irish...

I'm just honored that the Paracast forum's answer to Jefferson,Paine and Spinoza actually took the time to post on my thread...

I thank you,Good Sir!:shy:

He has a billy avatar, Brian has silvia which I caught shit for.... why yal pick on me!!!!!?

I thought the problem with your Sylvia avatar was that nobody noticed it! Nobody noticed my Linda Moulton Howe avatar, so I fixed up a Sylvia one...and I think it's pre-surgery too. :D

I don't remember anyone talking about Edgar Cayce in this thread, but I haven't gone back through. We're talking about out-of-body-experiences, which is no less rational than anything else discussed on the Paracast forums if you think about it.
But since you brought Cayce up , I'm no big fan of his either.

Brian Now,
I didn't even recongize your Avatar as Silvia I just knew I really didn't like it. Packrat I think you got "picked" on because you like to say how sexy she is and other nice stuff like that AND at least for me I could recognize YOUR avatar.

Brian Now,
I didn't even recongize your Avatar as Silvia I just knew I really didn't like it.

Hahah! I wondered if people recognized it. I think it's from the early 90s or even the 80s. I am pretty sure it was taken before she had some "work done". Plastic surgeons are amazing people.

Back