• NEW! LOWEST RATES EVER -- SUPPORT THE SHOW AND ENJOY THE VERY BEST PREMIUM PARACAST EXPERIENCE! Welcome to The Paracast+, eight years young! For a low subscription fee, you can download the ad-free version of The Paracast and the exclusive, member-only, After The Paracast bonus podcast, featuring color commentary, exclusive interviews, the continuation of interviews that began on the main episode of The Paracast. We also offer lifetime memberships! Flash! Take advantage of our lowest rates ever! Act now! It's easier than ever to susbcribe! You can sign up right here!

Subscribe to The Paracast Newsletter!

jerry doyle dies...

Babylon 5 was one of my all time favorite Sci-Fi TV series. Doyle's character added a great deal to the TV show. I honor him for that. Nonetheless, I was disgusted that his post-Babylon 5 career was being a right wing hate monger radio talk show host. You just never know what an actor is really like.

Babylon 5 was one of my all time favorite Sci-Fi TV series. Doyle's character added a great deal to the TV show. I honor him for that. Nonetheless, I was disgusted that his post-Babylon 5 career was being a right wing hate monger radio talk show host. You just never know what an actor is really like.

I read your post with some amusement. A right wing hate monger? Bullshit. I knew him via other folks that had appeared on B5 and it would be accurate to portray him a very conservative person. On the right? Yes he was. But what I have observed over the years from many many on the left is to portray anyone that does not share their worldview as a "hate monger." Once again ... Bullshit.

Decker

I agree with you that there are both responsible and irresponsible talk show hosts. I never listened to Doyle, or maybe I did long ago and don't remember, but I don't recall hate in his presentation. The same cannot be said of Michael Savage, however. And it is not true that people on the left believe that every talk host on the right talks hate. That's also BS.

You just never know what an actor is really like.

Isn't that the point of acting? Playing out the script and not just playing yourself? It's a crappy actor who only plays himself in every role.

At least Doyle reserved his politics for after his acting career. Or maybe, in lefty Hollywood, his acting career ended when he came out of the closet as a conservative?

Either way, I love B5, love the Garibaldi character, and enjoyed hearing Doyle's radio show several times. I wish he could have stayed awhile longer but none of us knows what our time is here.

Yes, even in liberal Hollywood, there are right-wing actors who do great work in high-profile shows. Consider the amazing performances from Jon Voight on Showtime's "Ray Donovan." It's amazing, in fact, that any 77-year-old actor can get such rich roles in this day and age regardless of their political leanings.

Other actors with Republican leanings include:

Arnold Schwarzenegger (all right a moderate Republican)
Clint Eastwood
Vince Vaughn
Chuck Norris
Adam Sandler (didn't realize this)
Kelsey Grammer
Gary Sinise
Tom Selleck
James Caan
Dennis Miller
Larry Miller
Sylvester Stallone
Angie Harmon (Bill O'Reilly was a featured guest in an episode of her current top-rated cable series, "Rizzoli & Isles.")
Drew Carey
Cheryl Ladd
Andy Garcia
Mel Gibson
Tom Berenger
Jeff Foxworthy
James Woods
Heather Locklear (a surprise to me)
Adam Baldwin (yes, the guy from "Firefly")
Kurt Russell
Dean Cain (a "Superman" actor and an occasional guest star on "Supergirl")
Kevin Sorbo
Gerald McRaney
Joe Pesci
Robert Davi
Tracy Scoggins

I'm focusing on a small number of performers who are still alive. A number of them are regularly seen on TV and in the movies. Selleck, for example, has had a steady career and is currently featured in a high-rated CBS-TV procedural about an Irish Catholic family of police officers, "Blue Bloods."

Actually Drew, Kurt and maybe Tom Berenger are self professed Libertarians.

But my surprise conservative is Stacey Dash

B5 will always be a favorite and I have to agree with Don ,I didn't listen all the time to his talk show and while he leaned right I always found him to be straight shooter and honest to himself and that's all you can ask of anyone :)

Other actors with Republican leanings include:
Arnold Schwarzenegger (all right a moderate Republican)
Chuck Norris
What? Did you just call them actors? :D
Well, OK, technically.

B5 will always be a favorite
Yup, it was good to see that scifi shows could still be their own thing, have a coherent story and be successful on TV. I really liked Doyle's portrayal of Garibaldi and from the interviews I've seen on B5 DVDs, I just can't imagine him as a "hate monger".

Back