• NEW! LOWEST RATES EVER -- SUPPORT THE SHOW AND ENJOY THE VERY BEST PREMIUM PARACAST EXPERIENCE! Welcome to The Paracast+, eight years young! For a low subscription fee, you can download the ad-free version of The Paracast and the exclusive, member-only, After The Paracast bonus podcast, featuring color commentary, exclusive interviews, the continuation of interviews that began on the main episode of The Paracast. We also offer lifetime memberships! Flash! Take advantage of our lowest rates ever! Act now! It's easier than ever to susbcribe! You can sign up right here!

Subscribe to The Paracast Newsletter!

Jason Offutt Episode

Angel of Ioren

Friendly Skeptic
Great guest, interesting show. He's way to credulous for my taste but he was honest in answering my question, which was appreciated.
Nick did a great job as co-host.
I guess the lack of comments about this episode mean that he really didn't bother anyone.

Only managed to listen to it today, but it was an entertaining, wide-ranging listen. Good questions, Gene in particular took the lead interviewing and it's always nice to hear his endearingly incredulous but always smart and interested take on things (not sure that makes sense, but his tone is hard to put into a succinct sentence).

I agree Offutt seems a bit too credulous, but it could be that he likes a good story -- I sure do -- and he does not present them as fact. There's value in that, too. I'm not in for the facts and answers -- a wider, more intelligent and curious acknowledgement that we don't know everything would go a long way for me. Thanks for another winner.

I enjoyed this episode, and plan to read the book. As far as credulity -- well, Offutt's getting peoples' stories, not factual data. As long as he rejects what he thinks are outright fabrications (and he says he does) he's done what he set out to do.

Only managed to listen to it today, but it was an entertaining, wide-ranging listen. Good questions, Gene in particular took the lead interviewing and it's always nice to hear his endearingly incredulous but always smart and interested take on things (not sure that makes sense, but his tone is hard to put into a succinct sentence).

I agree Offutt seems a bit too credulous, but it could be that he likes a good story -- I sure do -- and he does not present them as fact. There's value in that, too. I'm not in for the facts and answers -- a wider, more intelligent and curious acknowledgement that we don't know everything would go a long way for me. Thanks for another winner.

I totally agree - he sounds like a great storyteller.

I'm most of the way through this and am enjoying it so far- the tale about the guy building the time machine was pretty funny.
One thing I'm interested in is trends in strange phenomena- for instance, black eyed kids- is this something that has always occurred but would have been interpreted in a different framework prior to a high profile case? Other examples would be the transition from scareships to ghost fliers to flying saucers, or phantom social workers that were prevalent in the UK in the early 90s but have now died away completely. Does this suggest mutating phenomena, something that presents itself as a culturally appropriate fashion or does it suggest that the phenomena is cultural one in itself? This could be a good idea for a show in itself, though can't think of who'd be a good guest.

The time machine they were talking about in "Napolean Dynamite" is a real, actual gizmo you can purchase?
I laughed 'til I pees my pants when Napoleans brother plugged the time machine in and Napoleans doo-dads were getting electrocuted!!! That was just hilarious!

Great Show!

Back