• NEW! LOWEST RATES EVER -- SUPPORT THE SHOW AND ENJOY THE VERY BEST PREMIUM PARACAST EXPERIENCE! Welcome to The Paracast+, eight years young! For a low subscription fee, you can download the ad-free version of The Paracast and the exclusive, member-only, After The Paracast bonus podcast, featuring color commentary, exclusive interviews, the continuation of interviews that began on the main episode of The Paracast. We also offer lifetime memberships! Flash! Take advantage of our lowest rates ever! Act now! It's easier than ever to susbcribe! You can sign up right here!

Subscribe to The Paracast Newsletter!

January 18, 2015 — Greg Bishop

I haven't read or been a follower of McKenna either, but I was interested in what I read at the link provided by @LatentCauses.
I was a little surprised to read that McKenna's self-incriminating statement (as to his employment as a government agent) was made at Esalen, which the author claims was well-infiltrated by other such agents.
Constance, I'll take issue with your idea about JUST reading commentary about what happened, when you can ACTUALLY SEE AND HEAR the very same Esalen seminar with McKenna on Youtube saying these words. Psychology tells us that non-verbal reading and actual voice tones can give far more to the meaning than the written word ever can! Often, jokes and "off the cuff" sound bites are manipulated to start conspiracy theories by taking such jokes and sound bites totally out of context.

That's WHY you "must" watch Mirage Men too! You actually see and hear the people involved that were effected by the greatest disinformation campaign targeting the UFO community that tainted Roswell and Friedman and Moore and many other people too.
Encouraging the use of mind-altering drugs was an effective way of diverting a younger generation from political action. Rather than changing the world at large, it became sufficient to change the world 'within'.
Considering it is known that ET beings, other beings, UFO's, and ET abductions can be encountered while using some of these substances, and one is DMT, a natural occurring substance in the brain, I think there is far more to the ET-UFO equation that is more mind/brain induced than many ET-UFO people are willing to even consider or study. Have you studied this DMT research? Do you think ET's and UFO's are "out there", when, in fact, ET's and UFO's may be activated inside your head by DMT [NATURALLY], LSD, and other visionary substances too?

The greatest thing about Terrence McKenna is he was interested in what other cultures knew about visionary substances, and he traveled the world to experience these traditions of the Shamans, Medicine Men, and tribal practices that used these traditions for hundreds or more years. [His brother Dennis continues the search as an academic and by personal experience too.] He was the Western Astropsychonaut of the mind on a quest of discovery and personal experience. A pioneer in that respect. Hey, there are DOZENS of Youtube videos of all his lectures. He published books, and his brother Dennis is studying these substances that is also related to his academic career too!

Both McKenna's are brilliant, but Terrence did get harmed by taking an overdose of mushrooms that lasted for two weeks or more with his brother. Terrence became "obsessed" with a Time Wave theory he developed, as a result of that bad OD mushroom 2+ week trip. Terrence's brother has written a book about their lives.

IF you're interested about UFO's, ET's, and abductions, then you MUST learn more about Terrence and his brother Dennis or explore DMT research. Otherwise, you're just limiting yourself to your own belief system and world view of what UFO's, ET's, and abductions might be all about. Tons of videos are on Youtube from both brothers. Here's the book about the two brothers by Dennis McKenna.

McKenna's memoir, The Brotherhood of the Screaming Abyss about his and his brother Terence's life and journeys together, was published in 2012.[3]

The Brotherhood of the Screaming Abyss! by Dennis McKenna — Kickstarter

Dennis is featured in the documentary "DMT: The Spirit Molecule".[4]

You can search this on Youtube too. Do you want to fully understand UFO's, ET's, and abductions? It may not offer precise answers, but these are REAL CLUES too. There are several Youtube videos about DMT concerning: UFO's, ET's, and Abductions. This phenomenon is real inside the mind. I'm not advocating you need to personally experience this using DMT, but you certainly should be learning about the ET's and UFO's and abductions that are real there too!

You can see Dennis McKenna in the video below. Past the halfway point Aliens, ET Intelligences, UFO's, Abductions are mentioned too. Here is an active video:

Last edited:
6a00e55378e8898834011570e9b886970b-800wi

Re: Vallée's TED talk - It keeps getting replay, his whole physics of information lecture. And if energy is information, then the UFO is a packet of unknown energy that downloads itself into our unconscious processes. Together we co-create the UFO experience based on our anticipations and social training. But as such experiences work against our normal sociological control systems, these sky koans create a disturbance in our perceptual apparatus. Our brain supplies the best conjurings it can, producing the shadow of a reality we can not accurately see. Or so I gather from thinking like Vallée, Anton Wilson, Mckenna and Duensing. Life is pattern and we persist in seeing patterns, as we introduce order and disorder into our social consciousness.

Experiencing the exotic wildness that is this shadow may help to create anti-structure in society and create change depending on whether or not the witness has any value in society. If they have no value then they are labelled kooky and people continue to shop and buy products to make up for the manufactured deficits and wants imposed on us by the banality of consumer narratives. If we thought there was anything naturally sacred in the world, including ourselves, then we would see ourselves as an explorer species, on a journey of the evolution of the mind. And those paranormal things we sometimes see in he sky may get appreciated on other levels.
goetia_girls_time_slip_sleipnir_tesseract_valkyrie_yoni_wormhole_vortex_unknown_kadath_lovecraft.gif

When we see the UFO we should recognize that this disturbance in the control system may be something we are simply natural participants in. Once we discipline our minds to properly understand and recognize the way these anomalous stimuli work, we may be able to see information, and the energy behind it much more clearly.

Reality, and the world/universe we inhabit, is probably much more glorious than we can imagine. Sentient, living art may be all around us, innocently activated, driving some mad, some into panic, and others into bliss. The sky mandala may be indeed more than a Jungian reality. It may reveal those inherent ubiquitous processes of the universe, constant cycles of creation and destruction, time happening all at once. One day humanity will understand how consciousness works and then everything will be like magic. I can't wait. No wonder LSD, and the childhood experience of reality, can be so damn riveting.

I suspect, though, this manner of thinking may be only the early phases of this discussion.
robert_anton_wilson.gif

Last edited:
I edited this line out, but you saw it before I erased it!
No, the reason I said that I "sometimes think I have no idea what I'm talking about" is probably just a check on any possible ego problems.

I have no current "worries" about anything related to UFOs or the Government's involvement with them. That sort of thinking gives away what power you have to counter it. I went though a "dark night of the soul" about this many years ago, and that probably inoculated me.
I appreciate your humility.

I wan't thinking of the evil governmental boogy man so much as the feedback loops that can be created in one's mind by dwelling too long and too exasperatingly on the UFO koan/conundrum.

With regards to the to the dark night of the soul in the chapel perilous I wonder if we can create an anti-paranoia serum from your blood's antibodies, inoculate the UFO community, and face these problems head on without fear, madness and other side effects. Sometimes I think focussing on these things too much is like taking steroids that cause you to hear the voices of the dead.

After listening to the first half of the Duensing episode this morning my head was buzzing so much I had to map it all out on the whiteboard when I got to work just to put my thoughts some where and so I could get on with normalcy and my regular processes.
duensing.png

Last edited:
I haven't read or been a follower of McKenna either, but I was interested in what I read at the link provided by @LatentCauses. It makes sense that McKenna might have avoided a prison sentence (after returning to the US following his lengthy international sojourns and drug-trading activities) and been supp0rted in continuing his usual activities here because that was what the FBI wanted him to do. '.

The thing with Mckenna is that his ideas, especially consciousness mediated by psychadelics, and their effect on the person to bring about the realisation of society as one big broken and out-moded operating system - are so anti-establishment - that it wouldn't matter a tinker's cuss whether he was on anyone's payroll. If he was on the CIA's he was an exceptionally ordinary employee.

Every aspect of what he had to say (with the exception of his time wave theorem - which got the criticism it deserved) was about waking up and thinking for yourself.

Cant remember if this is the thread with the link to Vallee talking TEDx about the little sister of physics - ie information theory. In any event its amazing - and props to Spacebrother (Greg Bishop) and Bruce Deunsing for the reference. Here is the summary:

Vallee's 4 requirements for a new Physics

1. Recognise the universe we perceive as a subsystem of a meta-reality of information associations - all is simultaneous

2 recognise dimensions (ie space and time) as a cultural artefact – we create them in order to make our mathermatical models – we should do away with the concept of dimensions in the physics of the future

3. Treat the present as overdetermined – in other words it's determined from the past - adopting Guillemant's ideas that our intentions cause effects in the future that become the future causes of present effects

4. Consciousness is generating the impression of space and time – in other words consciousness traverses associations, in the process generating our mind's impression of space and time - that is essentially what space-time is

Cant remember if this is the thread with the link to Vallee talking TEDx about the little sister of physics - ie information theory. In any event its amazing - and props to Spacebrother (Greg Bishop) and Bruce Deunsing for the reference. Here is the summary:

Vallee's 4 requirements for a new Physics

1. Recognise the universe we perceive as a subsystem of a meta-reality of information associations - all is simultaneous

2 recognise dimensions (ie space and time) as a cultural artefact – we create them in order to make our mathermatical models – we should do away with the concept of dimensions in the physics of the future

3. Treat the present as overdetermined – in other words it's determined from the past - adopting Guillemant's ideas that our intentions cause effects in the future that become the future causes of present effects

4. Consciousness is generating the impression of space and time – in other words consciousness traverses associations, in the process generating our mind's impression of space and time - that is essentially what space-time is
And if you do these things a lot of problems and patanormal conundrums take on a whole new light, as does our role in shaping those narrative elements that we imbue with wild causality and subsequently turn them into myth; because, we can't see our own role in creating the "present."

Last edited:
DS, the comment of mine you quoted above --

"Encouraging the use of mind-altering drugs was an effective way of diverting a younger generation from political action. Rather than changing the world at large, it became sufficient to change the world 'within'."

was not focused on McKenna, not a judgment of McKenna, but an explanation of why U.S. security agencies, cynically fostering drug use among the counter culture for their own purposes during the influential antiwar movement, might have sought to keep McKenna out of prison so that he could continue to develop a following.

The thing with Mckenna is that his ideas, especially consciousness mediated by psychadelics, and their effect on the person to bring about the realisation of society as one big broken and out-moded operating system - are so anti-establishment - that it wouldn't matter a tinker's cuss whether he was on anyone's payroll. If he was on the CIA's he was an exceptionally ordinary employee.

Right. He continued to say what he felt he needed to say

I was not focused on McKenna, not a judgment of McKenna, but an explanation of why U.S. security agencies, cynically fostering drug use among the counter culture for their own purposes during the influential antiwar movement, might have sought to keep McKenna out of prison so that he could continue to develop a following.
He had no following in the 60's or 70's... I disagree with the idea "security agencies" made some deal or left McKenna alone. Why? McKenna did not start lecturing to large gatherings or local radio until the early 90's in a big way, and it does not seem like he had any problems to travel all over or finish his studies in the mid 70's. He got into trouble in Bombay, and it is rumored that a DEA agent was "obsessed" with Terence much later on. But he was killed before doing anything to Terrence.

Here is a snippet from WikiP...

...in 1975, he graduated with a degree in ecology, shamanism, and conservation of natural resources.[3][22][23] McKenna began a relationship with his future wife and the mother of his two children, Kathleen Harrison.[8][16][27][19]

Soon after graduating, McKenna and Dennis published a book inspired by their Amazon experiences, The Invisible Landscape: Mind, Hallucinogens and the I Ching.[5][16][34] The brothers' experiences in the Amazon would later be the main focus of McKenna's book True Hallucinations, published in 1993.[12] McKenna also began lecturing[16] locally around Berkeley and started appearing on some underground radio stations.[6]
======================
He got into trouble with local authorities in Bombay, but his studies were completed in the mid-seventies. It seems he took a break to raise a family, since he didn't get started with lecturing on a much larger scale about 18 years later in 1993. "In the 1990's, Mr. McKenna gained fame by delivering his drug pitch to a new generation at nightclub ''raves."

Bottom line, he had no real "followers" in the 60's or 70's. He probably did some local stuff after his first book in 1975, he said late 70's starting about '79 very unpolished, but I just don't think he built-up any "following" until a decade or more later. He was definitely growing mushrooms in the '80's, but I think that was just for a small underground group of people to experiment with. "No one had yet figured out how to cultivate the mushrooms in the United States, but the McKennas brought the South American secrets home. They published them, and in the 1980's were growing 70 pounds every six weeks. The operation ended when a friend was arrested for his fungi farm."

Terence McKenna, 53, Dies - Patron of Psychedelic Drugs - NYTimes.com

Terence definitely took wayyy too many drugs, imo, and he damaged his thinking by doing so.

Last edited:
Spacebrother, could you comment on your experience with DMT? You did discuss this with RPJ recently but said nothing about what all you experienced. How many minutes did it last in reality? And, how long did it seem "time warp" during the experience? What visions and emotions, etc. did you have? What was the setting that you did this in? Alone or ? In total darkness? Was it worth the experience for your personal reasons? Anything else you might want to share about it? Did you discuss this in detail on some podcast you did? Thanks!

Last edited:
I posted this earlier in the thread [below video] about my concerns how information is being manipulated by the PTB. It is a bit confusing, since I'm being a bit poetic with some of the wording. It's "out there". But, just check-out the video below that Tyger posted. It explains directly what is happening to us online with disinformation and willful deception.
From Tyger: It's a short video - just over 10 minutes - lots of relevant perspective, but the observations at 4:00 on Wikipedia interesting -

Astroturf and manipulation of media messages | Sharyl Attkisson | TEDxUniversityofNevada

TEXT: "Published on Feb 6, 2015: In this eye-opening talk, veteran investigative journalist Sharyl Attkisson shows how astroturf, or fake grassroots movements funded by political, corporate, or other special interests very effectively manipulate and distort media messages."

[Below is what I posted before...]

The aviray came to roost...

Considering the spiderwebs the spooks were creating with formatted text and spelling bees in the 80's, then don't you think we're already cocooned in their spiderwebs bee bitten by any persuasion and "alien-ideas" and Matrix's they want to propagate and infuse the change. Just inject the disinformation agents to brew the poison potions in the text here and trace the "quotation cryptography" to fine tune the propaganda. The power to fashion any belief system and entrap those they're after too???

They can privatize and shape us now all at arms length, and we're Googlized.

So, Spacebrother, are we done for? Are we the ET experiment?

This ET Master Race has Infected us. We're gravitons inside their Crypto-Stars of Algorithmic Regulation.

The machine is already thinking for us; mechanical slaves is a sideshow. We're already the prototype of what is to come...

You say that with certainty. Jan Irvin states that McKenna admitted to being an agent at an Esalen conference in 1994.
My friend was close with Terence and is still a personal friend of Dennis McKenna .You must be familiar with Terence's mushroom concept to understand some of his thinking.
According to both , there's no way Terence was connected with the FBI/CIA in the real world.

According to both , there's no way Terence was connected with the FBI/CIA in the real world.
It's amazing how "conspiracy theories" get started. Usually, there is another hidden agenda underneath that starts the lie. Terence made that comment off-the-cuff as a joke to 22 people in about 1993. The seminar was about his Time Wave Theory, which just goes to show he was really messed-up from a mushroom trip he took in 1971. His marriage was falling apart ending in divorce. I think he had nowhere to go but to continue speaking to groups of people interested in his stories using the mushrooms and other drugs along with his travel adventures too. He certainly was not going to become wealthy doing this, so he had a real passion to spread the word and the truth as he knew it.

Why did Terence gain such an audience in the nineties and afterwords? He had the time to do it after his marriage ended, and he had the natural talent of a magnetic personality filled with fascination to attract people to his story. It's really just that simple, IMO.

Most of these are probably available on Youtube:

Filmography
  • Experiment at Petaluma (1990)
  • Prague Gnosis: Terence McKenna Dialogues (1992)
  • The Hemp Revolution (1995)
  • Terence McKenna: The Last Word (1999)
  • Shamans of the Amazon (2001)
  • Alien Dreamtime (2003)
  • 2012: The Odyssey (2007)
  • The Alchemical Dream: Rebirth Of The Great Work (2008)
  • Manifesting the Mind (2009)
  • Cognition Factor (2009)
  • DMT: The Spirit Molecule (2010)
  • 2012: Time for Change (2010)
  • The Terence McKenna OmniBus 2012 (2012)
Spoken word
  • History Ends in Green: Gaia, Psychedelics and the Archaic Revival, 6 audiocassette set, Mystic Fire audio, 1993, ISBN 1-56176-907-X (recorded at the Esalen Institute, 1989)
  • TechnoPagans at the End of History (transcription of rap with Mark Pesce from 1998)
  • Psychedelics in the Age of Intelligent Machines (1999) (DVD) HPX/SurrealStudio
  • Conversations on the Edge of Magic (1994) (CD & Cassette) ACE
  • Rap-Dancing into the Third Millennium (1994) (Cassette) (Re-issued on CD as The Quintessential Hallucinogen) ACE
  • Packing For the Long Strange Trip (1994) (Audio Cassette) ACE
  • Global Perspectives and Psychedelic Poetics (1994) (Cassette) Sound Horizons Audio-Video, Inc.
  • The Search for the Original Tree of Knowledge (1992) (Cassette) Sounds True
  • The Psychedelic Society (DVD & Video Cassette) Sound Photosynthesis
  • True Hallucinations Workshop (Audio/Video Cassette) Sound Photosynthesis
  • The Vertigo at History's Edge: Who Are We? Where Have We Come From? Where Are We Going? (DVD & Video/Audio Cassette) Sound Photosynthesis
  • Ethnobotany and Shamanism (DVD & Video/Audio Cassette) Sound Photosynthesis
  • Shamanism, Symbiosis and Psychedelics Workshop (Audio/Video Cassette) Sound Photosynthesis
  • Shamanology (Audio Cassette) Sound Photosynthesis
  • Shamanology of the Amazon (w/ Nicole Maxwell) (Audio/Video Cassette) Sound Photosynthesis
  • Beyond Psychology (1983) (Audio Cassette) Sound Photosynthesis
  • Understanding & the Imagination in the Light of Nature Parts 1 & 2 (DVD & Video/Audio Cassette) Sound Photosynthesis
  • Ethnobotany (a complete course given at The California Institute of Integral Studies) (Audio Cassette) Sound Photosynthesis
  • Non-ordinary States of Reality Through Vision Plants (Audio Cassette) Sound Photosynthesis
  • Mind & Time, Spirit & Matter: The Complete Weekend in Santa Fe (Audio/Video Cassette) Sound Photosynthesis
  • Forms and Mysteries: Morphogenetic Fields and Psychedelic Experiences (w/ Rupert Sheldrake) (DVD & Video/Audio Cassette) Sound Photosynthesis
  • UFO: The Inside Outsider (DVD & Video/Audio Cassette) Sound Photosynthesis
  • A Calendar for The Goddess (DVD & Video/Audio Cassette) Sound Photosynthesis
  • A Magical Journey: Including Hallucinogens and Culture, Time and The I Ching, and The Human Future (Video Cassette) TAP/Sound Photosynthesis
  • Aliens and Archetypes (Video Cassette) TAP/Sound Photosynthesis
  • Angels, Aliens and Archetypes 1987 Symposium: Shamanic Approaches to the UFO, and Fairmont Banquet Talk (DVD & Video/Audio Cassette) Sound Photosynthesis
  • Botanical Dimensions (Audio Cassette) Sound Photosynthesis
  • Conference on Botanical Intelligence (w/ Joan Halifax, Andy Weil, & Dennis McKenna) (Audio Cassette) Sound Photosynthesis
  • Coping With Gaia's Midwife Crisis (Audio Cassette) Sound Photosynthesis
  • Dreaming Awake at the End of Time (DVD & Video/Audio Cassette) Sound Photosynthesis
  • Evolving Times (DVD, CD & Video/Audio Cassette) Sound Photosynthesis
  • Food of the Gods (Audio/Video Cassette) Sound Photosynthesis
  • Food of the Gods 2: Drugs, Plants and Destiny (Video Cassette) Sound Photosynthesis
  • Hallucinogens in Shamanism & Anthropology at Bridge Psychedelic Conf.1991 (w/ Ralph Metzner, Marlene Dobkin De Rios, Allison Kennedy & Thomas Pinkson) (Audio Cassette) Sound Photosynthesis
  • Finale – Bridge Psychedelic Conf.1991 (Audio/Video Cassette) Sound Photosynthesis
  • Man and Woman at the End of History (w/ Riane Eisler) (Audio Cassette) Sound Photosynthesis
  • Plants, Consciousness, and Transformation (1995) (Audio Cassette) Sound Photosynthesis
  • Metamorphosis (w/ Rupert Sheldrake & Ralph Abraham) (1995) (Video Cassette) Mystic Fire/Sound Photosynthesis
  • Nature is the Center of the Mandala (Audio Cassette) Sound Photosynthesis
  • Opening the Doors of Creativity (1990) (DVD & Video/Audio Cassette) Sound Photosynthesis
  • Places I Have Been (CD & Audio Cassette) Sound Photosynthesis
  • Plants, Visions and History Lecture (Audio/Video Cassette) Sound Photosynthesis
  • Psychedelics Before and After History (DVD & Video/Audio Cassette) Sound Photosynthesis
  • Sacred Plants As Guides: New Dimensions of the Soul (at the Jung Society Clairemont, California) (DVD & Video/Audio Cassette) Sound Photosynthesis
  • Seeking the Stone (Video Cassette) Sound Photosynthesis
  • Shamanism: Before and Beyond History – A Weekend at Ojai (w/ Ralph Metzner) (Audio/Video Cassette) Sound Photosynthesis
  • Shedding the Monkey (Audio Cassette) Sound Photosynthesis
  • State of the Stone '95 (Audio Cassette) Sound Photosynthesis
  • The Ethnobotany of Shamanism Introductory Lecture: The Philosophical Implications of Psychobotony: Past, Present and Future (at CIIS) (Audio/Video Cassette) Sound Photosynthesis
  • The Ethnobotany of Shamanism Workshop: Psychedelics Before and After History (at CIIS) (Audio Cassette) Sound Photosynthesis
  • The Grammar of Ecstasy – the World Within the Word (Audio Cassette) Sound Photosynthesis
  • The Light at the End of History (Audio/Video Cassette) Sound Photosynthesis
  • The State of the Stone Address: Having Archaic and Eating it Too (Audio Cassette) Sound Photosynthesis
  • The Taxonomy of Illusion (at UC Santa Cruz) (DVD & Video/Audio Cassette) Sound Photosynthesis
  • This World ...and Its Double (DVD & Video/Audio Cassette) Sound Photosynthesis
  • Trialogues at the Edge of the Millennium (w/ Rupert Sheldrake & Ralph Abraham) (at UC Santa Cruz) (1998) (Video Cassette) Trialogue Press

Last edited:
This is the most complete catalog of McKenna talks/workshops/seminars I have found. There are several hundred of them and I've listened to them all—some several times. Go to: Terence McKenna » Notes from the Psychedelic Salon
Some observations and corrections from what has been stated about McKenna in this thread:
McKenna was NOT a government agent.
He did NOT take too many psychedelics.
He came across like he tripped all the time, but this is NOT true.
He acknowledged that he only indulged several times per year—at the most.
McKenna had disdain and little regard for UFOs, cattle mutes and other so-called paranormal topics.
He first became a noted speaker in the late 70s/early '80s NOT the 90s.
I could go on & on about the man...

This is the most complete catalog of McKenna talks/workshops/seminars I have found. There are several hundred of them and I've listened to them all—some several times. Go to: Terence McKenna » Notes from the Psychedelic Salon
Some observations and corrections from what has been stated about McKenna in this thread:
McKenna was NOT a government agent.
He came across like he tripped all the time, but this is NOT true.
He acknowledged that he only indulged several times per year—at the most.
McKenna had disdain and little regard for UFOs, cattle mutes and other so-called paranormal topics.
I could go on & on about the man...

Chris, Thanks for the link. I think we have reached a point in our ability to study and control our own minds such that the psychedelic genie, in one form or another, is on its way out of the bottle. We know too much about our own brains to simply outlaw and ignore the altered state.

Hey Chris, if you don't think taking LSD 150+ times just in the 1960's is NOT too much, THEN you think far differently than I do. :D Geesh, I've personally known someone that did it 2-3 times, and it totally altered their entire lifetime for the next 50+ years.

Terence also overdosed on toooooo many mushrooms in 1971 for "one trip" that kept him high for 2+ weeks with his brother Dennis. As a result of that "foolish move", he came-up with his Time Wave Theory that his own brother thinks is "nuts" and "damaged" his brother's ability to let go of an irrational idea. He was obsessed with that idea the rest of his life with a 2012 doomsday scenario.

If Terence didn't have Dennis with him "to bring him back down to reality", then Terence may have been lost to his long-term sanity or been in a psych-ward for who knows how long.

On a local level, yes, but he did not have a large national following until much later in the 1990's. By "following", I mean speaking on a lecture circuit to organized events beyond local radio or local organizing of mushroom use.

Besides, that is obvious just by looking at the timing of his divorce, AND the creation and release of all his videos and audios and magazine articles -the 1990's. See my previous post above that proves the "date releases" of 95%+ of audio/video was in the 1990's and beyond -not before. There was a real demand for this, recording his "raves", when he also began to offer it and produce it too. He was not mass producing lecture tapes/video before the 90's; he had a click of mushroom followers that were growing and using it. BUT. That got shutdown on a large scale in the 1980's. He and Dennis went underground and could NOT be producing the mushrooms for distribution but for their own use and maybe a few trusted friends.

Of course, Terence was brilliant speaking with people before the 1990's, BUT Terence admitted to the reporter in a National article he was not that good at it [speaking before people] in 1979 when he first started talking on a very local level.

Last edited:
Chris, you don't think this is too many psychedelics???

I should have pointed out in the previous post this was quoted from Terence himself...

Terence replied to this question 'on record'...
"How many times have you taken LSD?"

Terence replies, "Oh, maybe 150 times when I was young. Not a lot ."

This was referring to his time at Berkley in the 60's. By '71 he was off to South America and O.D.'d on "the insane" 2+ week trip on 'shrooms.:D

Last edited:
Just a brief interruption while I announce that Greg Bishop’s famous 2014 Zorgy Award show is out now on Radio Misterioso.

Hey Chris, if you don't think taking LSD 150+ times just in the 1960's is NOT too much, THEN you think far differently than I do. :D Geesh, I've personally known someone that did it 2-3 times, and it totally altered their entire lifetime for the next 50+ years.

DS With respect, LSD is not a numbers game. Your outcomes are not a function of how much you take it. John Lennon for example took 1000s of trips, by his own admission, before realising that it had nothing left to teach him and that he was going backwards.

It has generated a remarkable degree of interest amongst psychiatrists, academics, the CIA and the Psychonaut community in the last 60 years, all of whom have investigated and obtained results coloured by their own intentions.

Are you are aware, for example, that trials conducted by psychiatrists in the 1950s using the drug in conjunction with talk therapy with alcoholics, showed astonishingly successful results? On the other it shouldn't come as a surprise that the CIA concluded that the drug was psychosis inducing when they tested itin clinical stainless steel laboratories administered by people in white lab coats!

If you take the time to read a balanced history of LSD,such as Acid Dreams: The Complete Social History of LSD: The CIA, the Sixties, and Beyond the one thing that comes across very strongly time and time again is that the users experience is a direct function of two things – set and setting. SET - being the sum of your internal circumstances that go to your state of mind at the relevant time, SETTING being the external environment.

If you get either of these ones wrong, as so many of us did in our 20's, taking foolish risks and consuming psychedelics in circumstances that make me shudder when I look back, then you expose yourself to danger.

McKenna didnt really rate LSD - he is on record numerous times saying that he found the drug cold, clinical, and very psychoanalytical. his view was that if you wanted to rip the veil, and get an introduction to the intelligence that resides behind it, psilocybin and DMT was the way to go.

Back