• NEW! LOWEST RATES EVER -- SUPPORT THE SHOW AND ENJOY THE VERY BEST PREMIUM PARACAST EXPERIENCE! Welcome to The Paracast+, eight years young! For a low subscription fee, you can download the ad-free version of The Paracast and the exclusive, member-only, After The Paracast bonus podcast, featuring color commentary, exclusive interviews, the continuation of interviews that began on the main episode of The Paracast. We also offer lifetime memberships! Flash! Take advantage of our lowest rates ever! Act now! It's easier than ever to susbcribe! You can sign up right here!

Subscribe to The Paracast Newsletter!

Jan Harzan, MUFON Exec... Pedophile?

That’s regrettably true, Gene, but I chalk up his coverage of the UFO topic in general as just another Fox News pundit distraction technique to maintain the willful ignorance of their viewers rather than focusing on the important issues of the day.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Same here. He's using UFOs as a distraction. I don't think he cares about the truth in any area whatsoever; all he cares about is the sound of his own voice and being listened to.

Listening to him talk is seriously like listening to the voice inside a 12 year old boy's head.

His show is otherwise unviewable. It's not about liberal versus conservative or libertarian or any legitimate difference in political beliefs. It's about fact versus fiction and sane discourse versus rampant hate.

I know we’re wildly off-topic here but it pains me when prominent “celebrity” researchers in the Ufological community (Nick Pope, Luis Elizondo come to mind) go on his show, or interact with him in any way, as they are tacitly participating in amplifying and supporting an unapologetic white supremacist. I view their willing participation as a shameless strategy to bolster their own profiles via the media so they can continue to earn a living off of the UFO topic. There’s nothing wrong with making an honest living off the topic but going on Fox News and talking to a racist and bigot is a shameful way to do it.

Getting back on topic, this is the person replacing Harzan. I mean, you can’t make this stuff up...

From an article on Vice.com from 2015:

“Pilot David MacDonald makes a living flying folks around—while they get it on in the back of his plane.”

“The one outfit with any real longevity is Cincinnati's FlamingoAir. Originally a mixed mile-high and charter flight service opened by pilot David MacDonald in 1991, FlamingoAir has slowly shifted to offering "flights of fancy" almost exclusively.”

https://www.vice.com/amp/da/articl...high-club-plane-456?__twitter_impression=true

Heckuva job, MUFON!

Sure, legal, and all in good fun, not saying it’s not a legitimate business, but a little creepy/sleazy and certainly not the PR look for the new ED one would want for an organization currently reeling from a pedo scandal.

I mean, what does it say about an organization when that’s your (best) choice? It’s either slim pickings over there, too radioactive for anyone serious, or a further example of poor decision-making.

He was perviously Executive Director so it's not as if it's anything new. But that connection wasn't a big issue before the Harzan episode.

Clearly, but we’re POST-Harzan now. It’s just not a good look, PR-wise.

Were John Ventre, or JZ Knight not available?

giphy.gif

Last edited:
You are incorrect, sir. Letterman was being blackmailed by a CBS News producer that had come into possession of a diary proving that Letterman had been inappropriately having sex with members of his staff for years. Letterman subsequently addressed and confirmed the sexual encounters, what we now refer to as sexual harassment, not “inappropriate behavior,” on-air in his monologue in order to get out in front of the story, since the cops, with Letterman’s cooperation, had arrested the blackmailer. He also publicly apologized to his wife on-air. It was a huge embarrassment for Letterman and led to a lengthy bout of serious depression for him.

In a related matter, a couple of years ago, comedy writer Nell Scovell accused Letterman of sexual favoritism during her tenure on the show while he was sleeping with staff members. He sat down with her in 2019, acknowledged the bad behavior, and apologized to her.

What accusations of “inappropriate behavior” he was found innocent for are you talking about?
Thanks for filling in the blanks for me there. I used "inappropriate" because I had forgotten all the details. I don't know exactly where the dividing lines are in law, or special interest groups, or whatever the case may be between "acceptable", "inappropriate" and "harassment". Personally I've always gone with: When someone says "No" it means, "That's far enough", and I respect that. I've also typically let others show interest first.

I also don't lie, keep secrets from, or disrespect anyone I'm involved with. That system has always worked for me. However it can be very difficult for some people to put into practice, mainly because of how Western socialization has modeled our expectations for relationships, but that's a whole other conversation.

I think 11 years ago, when the Letterman sex scandal broke, the general consensus at the time was that it was looked at and, honestly, downplayed as “inappropriate behavior” but fast forward to 2020 and with the cultural evolution and the impact of the Me Too movement, it’s still not illegal but there’s not a corporate HR dept that would let it slide with simply an on-air acknowledgment and apology. Letterman would be immediately terminated in today’s environment. I refer you to Matt Lauer being fired from NBC’s Today Show a couple of years ago as an equivalent example, or Charlie Rose from CBS and PBS. There are several more high profile examples in media and entertainment alone that prove the tolerance for that kind of behavior has diminished greatly, especially when there is a significant power imbalance between the individuals. Letterman was everyone’s boss. Lauer was a powerful media person at NBC. You take a real risk these days getting involved with lower level staff. Things can end badly, even if initially things appear to be consensual.

I think 11 years ago, when the Letterman sex scandal broke, the general consensus at the time was that it was looked at and, honestly, downplayed as “inappropriate behavior” but fast forward to 2020 and with the cultural evolution and the impact of the Me Too movement, it’s still not illegal but there’s not a corporate HR dept that would let it slide with simply an on-air acknowledgment and apology. Letterman would be immediately terminated in today’s environment. I refer you to Matt Lauer being fired from NBC’s Today Show a couple of years ago as an equivalent example, or Charlie Rose from CBS and PBS. There are several more high profile examples in media and entertainment alone that prove the tolerance for that kind of behavior has diminished greatly, especially when there is a significant power imbalance between the individuals. Letterman was everyone’s boss. Lauer was a powerful media person at NBC. You take a real risk these days getting involved with lower level staff. Things can end badly, even if initially things appear to be consensual.
Very good points.

Members have received this email from MUFONm apparently from new/restored Executive Director David MacDonald, though it doesn't have his signature:

HOPE
Heartache, uncertainty, tears, disappointment, war and strife. It seems like MUFON have been through it all.
And, we have! After 51 years MUFON has been through a lot. We have seen the good, the bad, the ugly and just about everything in between.
Regarding the recent unfortunate developments we need you to know that the MUFON Board of
Directors and Staff was totally blindsided by the events. Though in shock they moved quickly to address the issue.
But through it all we have continued on our mission.
We have emerged from the darkness, rose up from the valley of tears and have survived the constant attacks of our detractors, we have deflected the slings
and arrows of a multitude of malcontents. However, the Mothership we call MUFON has held its course and become faster, stronger, more powerful then any of those who try so hard to disrupt our mission.

Why?

Because of you! Our membership, our supporters, our volunteers, our backbone!

Mufon shall emerge from its troubles because we are strong. We can overcome our difficulties through it all, we understand the power of WILL, pure unwavering WILL! The absolute belief that we will endure,
and we will continue the mission. And with that applied WILL, HOPE shall emerge and guide us through the dark night.
This is not the first time I have been called on the step into the position of Executive Director under less than perfect conditions and I am humbled to accept the mantle.
There will be changes ahead, as there must be if we are to continuously evolve, strengthen and grow.
So, hang with me Mufonians. I am good at this and I promise that we will come out more competent, stronger and respected then we came in. MUFON is in good hands with a sound Board of Directors, staff
and dedicated leaders we will go further than we have ever gone before.
s.gif

Mufonians?

I have a sense he is somewhat removed from reality. Were they blindsided about MUFON people writing racist screeds?

"Though in shock they moved quickly to address the issue."

Yeah, they fired Harzan. A no-brainer.

"I promise that we will come out more competent, stronger and respected then we came in."

You mean they will fire everyone and start over? How will they magically become "more competent, stronger and respected" with the same crew?

First of all, “...recent unfortunate developments...”? Fuck right off. Not condemning Harzan by name, and his actions, in no uncertain terms, is completely unacceptable and a despicable, deliberate and cowardly minimization of this shocking and tragic behavior by a sexual deviant, that until recently, had led their organization for the past 7 years!

Then, to try and rally the membership, by seemingly characterizing and comparing their current situation as to being under attack, well that’s disingenuous at best.

I’m not blaming MUFON for Jan Harzan’s (alleged) crimes and deviant behavior. There is no indication, that we know of, that anyone was aware of this apparent secret life, but the way they have handled this so far, up to and including this press release by the “new” old ED, only proves they should just shut it all down, in my opinion.

Finally, and least importantly, poor grammar. “...more competent, stronger and respected then when we came in.”? Then? You mean “than?” Did no one in the organization proof read this thing? That’s on top of the gobbledygook corporate speak.

Nothing about this release is direct, transparent, heart-felt, or honest. That’s how a decent human being and worthwhile organization would address something of the magnitude they are dealing with. Instead we get a “Charlie Cheerleader” press release glossing over the issues at hand, as Gene pointed out, not just Harzan but the long-known about systemic racism within their ranks.

Last edited:
Back