• NEW! LOWEST RATES EVER -- SUPPORT THE SHOW AND ENJOY THE VERY BEST PREMIUM PARACAST EXPERIENCE! Welcome to The Paracast+, eight years young! For a low subscription fee, you can download the ad-free version of The Paracast and the exclusive, member-only, After The Paracast bonus podcast, featuring color commentary, exclusive interviews, the continuation of interviews that began on the main episode of The Paracast. We also offer lifetime memberships! Flash! Take advantage of our lowest rates ever! Act now! It's easier than ever to susbcribe! You can sign up right here!

Subscribe to The Paracast Newsletter!

Internet Insults

What can we say that hasn't already been said about the armchair assassin or internet hardman?

Over the years, I've tracked down a few assholes and emailed them after they caught my attention. One of them had directed threats to me; the others had been textbook offensive to other people and particularly to women. Some guys use the same distinctive nick-name on a few websites and leave a trail that leads to email addresses and even phone numbers. One jerk had left a trail across the web that included a wiki entry. I had his email address, name, IP, telephone number and street.

When the anonymity is taken away, most people are pretty reasonable and apologetic if they'd gotten carried away.

I think most of us act the same way on-line as we do in the real world. In that way, our internet posts reflect our natural personality. Unfortunately, a small minority like to role-play on-line. Some of them strive to be better people and others can't sleep at night without knowing they've pissed off a few people.

One of the reasons I like to post here is that unlike alot of forums there seems to be some semblence of measured thought as opposed to knee jerk reactions to comments. With the internet it's just a whole lot easier to needle people and really have a dig at them.

I highly recomend watching the film "Gamer" if you have not seen it already.

If I am honest putting my real name in my signature, has made me more considered in my posts and less likely to over react or "rage reply" :)
all the best

Heck, I post under my real name. I just don't understand why people can't have a civil discussion. Just because I disagree with a fellow doesn't mean I can't have an intelligent discussion with him, be friends with him, drink beer, etc.

Heck, I post under my real name. I just don't understand why people can't have a civil discussion. Just because I disagree with a fellow doesn't mean I can't have an intelligent discussion with him, be friends with him, drink beer, etc.

ahhhh..... drinking beer... I'm off to see if the beer fairy has visited my house this week...

Back