• NEW! LOWEST RATES EVER -- SUPPORT THE SHOW AND ENJOY THE VERY BEST PREMIUM PARACAST EXPERIENCE! Welcome to The Paracast+, eight years young! For a low subscription fee, you can download the ad-free version of The Paracast and the exclusive, member-only, After The Paracast bonus podcast, featuring color commentary, exclusive interviews, the continuation of interviews that began on the main episode of The Paracast. We also offer lifetime memberships! Flash! Take advantage of our lowest rates ever! Act now! It's easier than ever to susbcribe! You can sign up right here!

Subscribe to The Paracast Newsletter!

If There Are No Real UFOs — Why?

Free episodes:

The reason in suggesting that in the remotest of all possibilities, that these “things” may emerge from an area where the physical properties of matter, (if matter), are unknown is because of this guy, Lee Smolin, philosopher, physicist, and founder of PI, The Perimeter Institute of Theoretical Physics in Waterloo Ontario. If you are able to take the time, in the understanding of what this man is suggesting, you may just realize why I would even consider his improbable thoughts. It’s just a theory, like any other, as no one has an answer, if there were to be one. In all, when you consider what this man is thinking, it’s pretty cool, and yet fairly creepy.

Even though while flying in the face of “Ufology”, and “UFOs”, is nothing more than something that may be considered as sci-fi, while plumbing the depths of the “UAP” enigma.

This short address was sponsored by, The Royal Society for the Encouragement of Arts.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm a fan of Smolin's popular works on physics. He seems especially aware that our science is simply deficient in some vital ingredient for a unified theory that works and would be produce testable hypotheses.
I have the video on my "to watch" list.

The biggest problem I see with belief that a select elite have sequestered unimaginable technologies is that it cannot be taken by degrees. It is pretty much an all-or-nothing proposition that leads to envisioning an entire breakaway civilization that is perfectly and seamlessly sealed off from the masses and even most higher echelons of society. This is really stretching the bounds of credulity.

I'm a fan of Smolin's popular works on physics. He seems especially aware that our science is simply deficient in some vital ingredient for a unified theory that works and would be produce testable hypotheses.
I have the video on my "to watch" list.

The biggest problem I see with belief that a select elite have sequestered unimaginable technologies is that it cannot be taken by degrees. It is pretty much an all-or-nothing proposition that leads to envisioning an entire breakaway civilization that is perfectly and seamlessly sealed off from the masses and even most higher echelons of society. This is really stretching the bounds of credulity.

What I respect about Smolin most is that he attempts to take the middle ground, with good reason. What makes this theory unique is that it’s testable.

In enjoying Smolin’s thoughts, the interview below is more for the layman, and includes some sci-fi stuff. The entire interview seemed pretty good, although beginning at the 30:00 minute mark, I found most thought provoking.

Scrapbooking Videos -

Excellent stuff thanks for sharing

Ive long held the view that the ultimate expression of the survival mechanism is an ability to step above linear time

Weve all heard the smaller scale examples like colonising other extrasolar planets , and post biological evolution,
But in a linear time Big Bang / gnaB giB or big crunch scenario, You also need to be able to step out/above linear time.
Much like Doctor Whos Tardis, you would need the ability to be able to breakfast at the big bang, and have dinner at the resturant at the end of the universe.

If not the military, and if these things do actually exist, it’s most likely something beyond all human comprehension. As it was never human to begin with, and may emerge from an area of time and space that is not understood. Its pretty creepy to think about, I must admit.
Their motivations may be completely alien.

Their tech, if it exists in this universe, should obey the same physical laws that we do. And therefore, if they can do it, so should we be able to.

Eventually, of course.

The reason in suggesting that in the remotest of all possibilities, that these “things” may emerge from an area where the physical properties of matter, (if matter), are unknown is because of this guy, Lee Smolin, philosopher, physicist, and founder of PI, The Perimeter Institute of Theoretical Physics in Waterloo Ontario. If you are able to take the time, in the understanding of what this man is suggesting, you may just realize why I would even consider his improbable thoughts. It’s just a theory, like any other, as no one has an answer, if there were to be one. In all, when you consider what this man is thinking, it’s pretty cool, and yet fairly creepy.

Even though while flying in the face of “Ufology”, and “UFOs”, is nothing more than something that may be considered as sci-fi, while plumbing the depths of the “UAP” enigma.

This short address was sponsored by, The Royal Society for the Encouragement of Arts.

This was a great discussion and a good blending of ideas from the Consciousness and Paranormal thread. Implications for our experience of reality as we've been observing in can only be steeped in the limits of our own imagination as biologically constructed by the human organism as it stands. The dream of evolving into a species experiencing post-linear time does sound exactly like Kubrick/Clark sci-fi and is a good connection to the hints of what we are scratching at in the UFO phenomenon. There is something there that we perceive on the edge of our senses, at the edges of our recording mechanisms, that compels us to imagine other ways of being in the universe and in nature physically. Is the UFO beyond time? Interestingly it is the abduction phenomena that lays more claims to distortions of time, missing time etc. whereas the UFO witness sees it all, from moment to moment and remembers it as best they can. However, what we are remembering seems to be defying the laws of physics as we understand it. The digital age and the acceleration of knowledge distribution & acquisition, as well as our ability to manage and interpret big data, may help to move us along our trajectory with greater speed since days in the cave - that's if we don't kill the organism that keeps the human species alive first.

The rest of this discussion is here as an audio file: http://www.thersa.org/__data/assets/file/0009/1523178/20130521LeeSmolin.mp3

Their tech, if it exists in this universe, should obey the same physical laws that we do. And therefore, if they can do it, so should we be able to.

Eventually, of course.

Physical laws might change over time according to Smolin and, I have also seen it theorized, differ in different parts of the universe.

Eventually, of course.

That could be one really long "eventually" as our own species may simply not have what it takes to ever get past being a Type 1 civilization, let alone evolve into a Type III.

But as far as motivations go, you've said all there is to be said really. All we have left are the effects on our own populous and what we can learn about ourselves, our planet and our collective capacities. In that way the UFO phenomenon is a gift, a double-edged one, but a gift nonetheless.

I’m not quite so certain about how anything outside of our known universe and physics could even be viewed. Time, space, and matter, as known may not exist from where these "things" might originate from. These "things" if they were to exist, may be able to interact with our physics, however, we may not be able to comprehend or interact with their environment directly because of our own physical limitations. These thoughts kind of remind me of the movie “Contact” with Jodie Foster.

Smolin, in his interview suggested that it could take up to five hundred years before even confirming if there may lie something outside of our known universe. That’s a really long time for just one observation. If this stuff is truly happening, and there is an intelligence involved, it may be as Mike put it .., “Much like Doctor Whos Tardis, you would need the ability to be able to breakfast at the big bang, and have dinner at the resturant at the end of the universe.” .., as we may be long gone as a species, while these “things” will have continued in having things their own way.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back