• NEW! LOWEST RATES EVER -- SUPPORT THE SHOW AND ENJOY THE VERY BEST PREMIUM PARACAST EXPERIENCE! Welcome to The Paracast+, eight years young! For a low subscription fee, you can download the ad-free version of The Paracast and the exclusive, member-only, After The Paracast bonus podcast, featuring color commentary, exclusive interviews, the continuation of interviews that began on the main episode of The Paracast. We also offer lifetime memberships! Flash! Take advantage of our lowest rates ever! Act now! It's easier than ever to susbcribe! You can sign up right here!

Subscribe to The Paracast Newsletter!

How would an invasion happen?

Jeff Crowell

Paranormal Annoyance
I was watching the video from the post "The best alien invasion video you'll see today" or something like that, and it got me to thinking; how would an alien invasion really occur? (forgive me if this topic was discussed elsewhere. I'm new to the forums so may have missed it in my perusal.)

Honestly I think an intelligent species with advanced technology would NOT attack we little humans through a combat method to eliminate us from this planet. It's simply too impractical. Even a surprise attack on our most major cities would leave millions, if not billions of people in rural pockets across the entire world. These people could head to the mountains, hole up in swamp land, and eventually form a resistance movement, which, of course, makes for excellent science fiction. It would take decades or centuries for even an advanced alien race to hunt down every human being at that point. The only way a combative attack would be effective in eliminating the human species, entirely, from this planet (if that would be their true intentions) would be something massive that would scourge the surface of the Earth, thereby killing off all surface life. Examples would be diversion of a gamma-ray burst or otherwise igniting the Earth's atmosphere, however that would be the equivalent of burning the house down to kill the termites; you have no home to return to.
Another method would be chemical or biological. This would be a far more effective invasion technique in that a biological attack would spread even to the most remote parts of the world as long as there was some outside human contact at some point.
Yet another method would be infiltration, like Invasion of the Body Snatchers or the like where human beings are taken over, secretly until it was too late to stop the invasion. That makes for good conspiracy theories.
In the end I think that if an alien species wanted to take over the world they'd need a combination of all three of these methods to be completely effective. Preliminary strike could be either infiltration, then combative, and finally biological to eliminate the stragglers.

Of course this discussion assumes that the aliens want to take over the Earth for their own populace; that they want to completely eliminate the human species, and that whatever method they use leaves something of worth behind for them. I'd imagine if an alien race decided that humans were simply too destructive to continue our existence, and Captain Kirk or Captian Picard weren't around to go on trial for us and plead our case, they would simply destroy the planet as a whole.

Thoughts?

I agree that biological warfare would be highly efficacious. But we must be good for at least something, so the ETs haven't wiped us out completely. D. Jacobs thinks the ETs are aiming for takeover, albeit by means of a breeding program. It is possible that, since we evolved here, we have at least some useful genes, so that the aliens, in order to be fully adapted to this world, seek to incorporate these genes into their own takeover group.

If breeding with us were a viable option, that would be the same route we humans have used on each other. Take over an area, breed with the locals. After a couple of generations it gets hard to point fingers at who the invaders are/were.

I agree that biological warfare would be highly efficacious. But we must be good for at least something, so the ETs haven't wiped us out completely. D. Jacobs thinks the ETs are aiming for takeover, albeit by means of a breeding program. It is possible that, since we evolved here, we have at least some useful genes, so that the aliens, in order to be fully adapted to this world, seek to incorporate these genes into their own takeover group.

That would be interesting. We (humans) may not notice anything for several generations when people started looking different or exhibiting different behaviors. On the outside rim of speculation humans may start showing an increase in psychic abilities and what-not, if you believe in these capabilities in human an alien species. By the time we'd notice such differences it may be too late to really do anything about it.

Of course, to me, this is all interesting speculation and wonder. It's fascinating to me to speculate about it.

That would be interesting. We (humans) may not notice anything for several generations when people started looking different or exhibiting different behaviors. On the outside rim of speculation humans may start showing an increase in psychic abilities and what-not, if you believe in these capabilities in human an alien species. By the time we'd notice such differences it may be too late to really do anything about it.

Yes, the ETs may have it all planned thoroughly, to our detriment. On the basis of his exhaustive research, Dr Jacobs thinks so.

Of course, to me, this is all interesting speculation and wonder. It's fascinating to me to speculate about it.

It could well be much more than speculation, when you consider all the abduction reports, accompanied by apparent "medical exams" and extraction of tissue. There must be a reason....

If breeding with us were a viable option, that would be the same route we humans have used on each other. Take over an area, breed with the locals. After a couple of generations it gets hard to point fingers at who the invaders are/were.

Good point, and welcome to the forum. :)

I have to say that it really depends on what they are trying to acheive. If they want to destroy us as a species, they'd probably use some sort of biological warfare that affects the human genus. If they didn't care about any of the life on this planet, they'd probably just light our atmosphere on fire or something to that accord, providing they did not need an atmosphere like ours to survive.

To think that it would be a "Mars Attacks" kind of scenario is just foolish, even the independance day route of things is very unpractical as well.

It's hard to answer a question like this without really pegging down the scenario, but I have the distinct impression that if something like this were to happen it would be swift and without prejudice, essentially being over before we knew it had began.

I, for one, welcome our new insect overlords. I’d like to remind them that as a trusted paracast forum member, I can be helpful in rounding up others to…toil in their underground sugar caves.”

I, for one, welcome our new insect overlords. I’d like to remind them that as a trusted paracast forum member, I can be helpful in rounding up others to…toil in their underground sugar caves.”

(In his best Homer Simpson voice) Mmmmm......sugar.

I think the notion of an alien "invasion" is both xenophobic and ethnocentric since we don't even know what this phenomena is. I know this thread is just speculating about such an event but it just seems silly.

Whatever this phenomena is may have a better understanding of cause and affect and Karma. I think David has brought up more than once that they may already live here and are just protecting where they live. Where they live may be in a very close dimension to us that may explain why they seem to be interested in our nuclear activities. They may just be evil bastards out to take over the earth too but that seems way too simplistic.

It is possible that the abduction scene is more about showing us what we are doing to each other on a collective level and less about a take over and a breeding program. I am sure there are human labatories out these doing their our bizarre genetic experiments.

I think the notion of an alien "invasion" is both xenophobic and ethnocentric since we don't even know what this phenomena is. I know this thread is just speculating about such an event but it just seems silly.

Whatever this phenomena is may have a better understanding of cause and affect and Karma. I think David has brought up more than once that they may already live here and are just protecting where they live. Where they live may be in a very close dimension to us that may explain why they seem to be interested in our nuclear activities. They may just be evil bastards out to take over the earth too but that seems way too simplistic.

It is possible that the abduction scene is more about showing us what we are doing to each other on a collective level and less about a take over and a breeding program. I am sure there are human labatories out these doing their our bizarre genetic experiments.

Why are you harshing my fantasy, man! (( totally kidding on that one ))

I completely agree with your points, and have heard David debate the 'evil' aspect often...and agree with him, too. Not that it's for this post but I think a lot of what defines an evil act is the knowledge and intention behind the act.
I suppose in that regard if whatever-they-are/wherever-they-are, if they decide to 'take over' they could see taking over the Earth less than an invasion and more of an eradication of a species of pest (humans.) It's not that they're acting out of malice or spite, perhaps IF they were going to do that, but perhaps more out of necessity or the like.

Why invade ?

IMHO, an advanced race would be able to create almost perfect, mobile, space-based environments emulating their idea of what heaven would be.
http://oranchak.com/?p=379
fig_space_colony_450px.jpg

The problem is reversed. If our race is to survive beyond the life-cycle of our sun... we have to try escaping by thinking about building a solution like this. Evading solar expansions, supernovas, black holes and the likes... this is the way to do it.

ET visits, may actually be scouts leaving constructs like the one depicted above as they slowly pass by our solar system. The earth would be a curiosity at best, their artificial environment being far superior to anything we experience on this planet ;)

The universe is a dynamic environment... adapt or perish. :D

Our ant overlords now have a backstory. Thanks Ally.

Why invade ?

IMHO, an advanced race would be able to create almost perfect, mobile, space-based environments emulating their idea of what heaven would be.
http://oranchak.com/?p=379
:D

Are you saying they would see no value in our beautiful Terra? You know, the planet we're striving so hard to destroy ourselves?

Again, I agree. In fact that opens up a whole new line of thinking; if an advanced alien race was interested in Earth it would probably be due to the life forms here, say...humans or dolphins or the like. They probably wouldn't be invading for the environment itself.

Yes yes, all speculation based on motive. I know. Just kickin' it around.

Hail the ant overlords. Does someone hear singing...something about "thanks for all the fish?"

Our ant overlords now have a backstory. Thanks Ally.
Here I go sounding silly...we're going to play pretend. They aren't ant overlords, they are mantids. They aren't aliens on this planet. Humans are. They are not our overlords, but they are getting fed up with our shit. Oh, yeah...I almost forgot. When they are modulated into this level of matter, they can eat a human head like an apple.
<input id="gwProxy" type="hidden"><!--Session data--><input onclick="jsCall();" id="jsProxy" type="hidden"><input id="gwProxy" type="hidden"><!--Session data--><input onclick="jsCall();" id="jsProxy" type="hidden">

Again, I agree. In fact that opens up a whole new line of thinking; if an advanced alien race was interested in Earth it would probably be due to the life forms here, say...humans or dolphins or the like. They probably wouldn't be invading for the environment itself.

Makes good sense... I could understand their interest in races evolving in natural environments. The study of successful races adapting to solar radiation and evolving viral constructs could provide important genetic information and solutions to races living in artificial and controlled environments.

The complexity of a virus, reflects the complexity of its environment. I'm sure we're in the galactic database by now and they have the antidote ;)

It depends entirely upon their purpose...are they colonialists? Do they intend on dispensing the entire population? Or, as was suggested above, do they simply wish to cohabit with us?

Motive, often, can establish probable means.

:eek:... that's just wrong.... ???

now I have to stock up on cases of bug spray....

The visitors might have got a hold of a Inter-Galactic copy of Sun Tsu's 'the art of war' ... you know... keep your enemies close but keep the ones that will toil in their underground sugar caves closer...

here's something I found..

"You can discover what your enemy fears most by observing the means he uses to frighten you." Eric Hoffer (1902 - 1983)

I met Dr. Jacobs 2 weeks ago (I crashed a MUFON), very nice and personable, I'm almost finished with his book 'The Threat', it's a good read but, I think I need a little more evidence of some kind to really consider this line of thought ... intriguing though it may be to me.

I'd like to think that an intelligence hundreds of thousands of years older than us wouldn't partake in mundane forms of subjugation, be it through force or direct infiltration. I also like to entertain the notion that though possible non-human intelligences may appear to be more "advanced" than us, they may not be all that more intelligent than us in other ways. Merely different. Having said that, I don't rule out the possibility that other species would still invade us the old fashioned way, phasers blazing and 500 feet walkers stalking just because it's out of favor in pop culture.

Some possibilities I do like to entertain though involve the concept of a super-intelligent (Whatever that is) race being able to adequately usurp another civilization without any altercation or infiltration at all. Imagine their intelligence being on the scale of playing 20 games of Chess simultaneously, or performing long winded calculations as fast as we can think up 2+2=4. Purely logical, and beyond what we can comprehend as a human being. Some even argue that it may already be going on, with the whole "containers" conspiracy. You know, the one where human beings are merely containers for a soul, or genetic material. I don't buy into it, but it's surely some good food for thought.

You could even think along the lines of Michio Kaku's ideas regarding advanced civilizations; the type 0, 1, 2, and 3 hierarchy of galactic advancement. I often wonder what a type 3 civilization would have left to do after they've colonized a large portion of the galaxy, and harness the power of stars to do as they wish. What would they have left to learn? What could they possibly learn from? Let's pretend that they've achieved their technological singularity, where all becomes possible. Hmm, would it be unreasonable to think that this race of beings would create other life forms, and allow them to grow and evolve to learn from them? I've always found that theory interesting.

Back