• NEW! LOWEST RATES EVER -- SUPPORT THE SHOW AND ENJOY THE VERY BEST PREMIUM PARACAST EXPERIENCE! Welcome to The Paracast+, eight years young! For a low subscription fee, you can download the ad-free version of The Paracast and the exclusive, member-only, After The Paracast bonus podcast, featuring color commentary, exclusive interviews, the continuation of interviews that began on the main episode of The Paracast. We also offer lifetime memberships! Flash! Take advantage of our lowest rates ever! Act now! It's easier than ever to susbcribe! You can sign up right here!

Subscribe to The Paracast Newsletter!

How We Staged The Morristown UFO Hoax

Phil Klass, whom I knew somewhat, was an absolute expert in aeronautics. His work debunking certain UFO cases is of historical importance. When he learned about evidence that disconfirmed his hypotheses he abandoned them. Something some believers would be wise to try sometime.

Keep the straw men coming, ok?

Lance

Lance and all, I knew Phil Klass very well. The following is from my blog website Dark Matters Radio - Just another WordPress weblog posting on January 06, 2009. Hope you all forgive me for including the entire post but I think it is important in light of the hoax that is being discussed. Phil was not honest about several things in my experience, and one of them was when he blew up on my national radio show UFOs Tonite! on Jan. 25, 1995 ... screaming Bullshit-bullshit-bullshit when I "corrected his facts about the 1952 Washington DC overflights. But that is fodder for another day. Here is my post.

GEE MOM, ARE UFOS REAL?
Let’s get one thing straight from the onset … UFOs are real. If you look up and see something in the sky that you can not identify, that is a UFO. UFO does NOT mean aliens or spaceship, got that?
The real question should be, are ANY UFOs … someone else’s technology? Someone that ain’t from around here! (here means Earth.) Got that?
For better than 20 years, this is what I did. Back in the day, back when I was the Director of Research for UFO Magazine, I investigated and researched the question of UFOs and cases looking for proof that at least some of these things were ( or might be ) somebody else’s technology. Confused yet? God knows, I think I still am … confused that is. Over those years I came across SOME cases that caused my hair to stand on end, and some cases that caused me to break down in uncontrollable laughter. Yes, the field was that huge … wonder on one side and hilarity on the other. You see, we tried to be ( we at UFO Magazine .. a publication begun by my wife and still publishing today without us) the clearinghouse for the real and the unreal. Being a former policeman, I had little time for the bullshit artists ( lots of them ) or the woo-woo factor. ( You know, the aliens are coming here to save us from … us. They want to teach us a better way, the aliens hate war so we should get rid of the army, not militarize space, wear flowers in our hair, save the whales, love a dolphin, pray to the fairies … oh yeah, and send $50 bucks when you get done reading this!)
The bullshit artists and the woo-woo bunch didn’t like me so much, and in the spirit of being absolutely UPFRONT, I thought they were Full Of It … to the eyebrows and higher. It made an interesting 20 years. And, lest I forget, the other bunch, the Skeptics, were full of shit too. Not all of them to be sure, just most of them. Why, you ask, would I say that? Simply because it’s the dishonesty of their positions.

I do not have the space here in this post to lay it all out, but in time I will using additional posts. Lets simply take one example. (And God knows, I have MANY – MANY of them!)
I will assume that if you are reading this blog, you have at least a partial understanding and knowledge of the UFO field. Philip J. Klass, for years the spokesman of the Skeptical side of things, was the bug-a-boo Skeptic confronting so many UFO cases in the press and on the TV.

I knew Klass fairly well, and as matter of fact, I saved Klass from a drunk UFO Bubba in Pensacola, Florida at the 1990 MUFON Symposium. (The guy was drunk, big and mean and Klass was old, small and helpless. Hell, I never liked big guys picking on little guys anyway.)
Klass and I had a number of confrontations over the years. One such confrontation took place in Denver, Colorado about 1992. It was hosted by Mike Corbin of ParaNet and Klass and I debated the reality of the UFO field. Okay, so far so good, but then Klass tried to smear a dead guy, Frederick Valentich, a civilian Australian pilot, that disappeared during a UFO encounter over the Bass Strait.

When this topic was raised during the debate, Klass tried to smear Valentich as a “drug smuggler” evading the authorities. His “proof”? Valentich ( according to Klass ) had four ( 4 ) life preservers on board his aircraft! I lit into Klass like “white on rice.” Phil was also sneaky as I found out. Years before I came on the UFO scene Phil had contributed to the downfall of a brilliant scientist, Dr. James McDonald. The following is from Wikipedia.

“McDonald engaged in an often savagely adversarial relationship with aviation journalist and skeptic Philip J. Klass, who argued in his first book that nearly all UFOs can be explained by ball lightning[5]. At first, the duo exchanged cordial letters on the subject. Klass was rather guarded in his application of the plasma theory at the time, and McDonald agreed that it might explain a small portion of UFO reports. However, Klass quickly expanded his hypothesis arguing that most if not all UFOs, and even cases of alleged alien abduction, could be explained as plasmas. McDonald thought this was absurd, and offered a detailed rebuttal against Klass’s thesis[6]. Many observers—even those skeptical of UFOs—concluded Klass lacked even a basic understanding of the theories he proposed[7]
In late 1967, McDonald secured a modest grant from the Office of Naval Research in order to study cloud formations in Australia. While in Australia, McDonald conducted some UFO research on his own time. Klass mounted an extended, concerted campaign against McDonald, arguing that he had squandered government funds. The ONR responded by announcing that they knew of McDonald’s UFO interests and had no objections to his personal hobbies. The University of Arizona came to McDonald’s defense, announcing that McDonald’s UFO research was done on his own time, and had no adverse impact on his regular teaching and research duties at the university.
Klass then demonstrated that McDonald was spending at least small sums of government research funds on UFO research, and the ONR, apparently fearing controversy, decided to no longer fund McDonald’s cloud research.”
Later, because of this and also because of testimony McDonald gave to the US Congress, his marriage began to falter. McDonald’s life spun out of control and he began to plot his own suicide. After one failed attempt he was successful on the next attempt. Klass continued on for years on his merry crusade against “subversive and dangerous” thinking. Now, please allow me to relate one final example of the dishonesty of Phil Klass. While broadcasting my show UFOs Tonite! in January of 1995, I had Klass on as a guest and the discussion became somewhat heated. First it concerned the Roswell Crash, and Klass claiming that Army Air Corp Intelligence Officer, Major Jesse Marcel, was trying to “win” a $3,000. “reward” that some unknown newspaper was offering for “proof” of a flying saucer! When I called Klass on that, he threatened to hang up the phone in the middle of the show. ( touchy, eh? ) Later we were discussing the infamous Washington DC 1952 overflights, Phil claimed that the Air Force was so dis-interested, that it took them about an hour to get aircraft there to check out the UFOs. When I corrected him and told him it was because the Air Force was re-surfacing the runways Klass began screaming “BULLSHIT” on the air. 3 times he screamed it! When I called him on it he became embarrassed and hung up in mid-show. That was the last time I ever spoke to Klass.

Klass died August 9, 2005. The “skunk” left the garden party. ( Phil often described himself as a Skunk at the UFO garden party.) I will say this, he left an impression on all who knew him.
I left UFO research in January of 2007, perhaps more on that later. I suppose my point to you is that the UFO “thing” is vastly complex, not easily understood and one must have the patience of Job. (You know, the guy in the bible.) There is more to it than meets the eye, but I will leave that for another day. So, remember to
Keep looking up and I will catch you the next time around!

Don

this is completely OT, but Im curious to hear your opinion.

In Rich Dolan's book he insinuates that McDonald's suicide very well may have been 'something other than suicide'.

Based on your research and knowledge of the people involved, how accurate do you think that is? I assume you probably agree based on your review of Dolan's book?

thanks.

Don

this is completely OT, but Im curious to hear your opinion.

In Rich Dolan's book he insinuates that McDonald's suicide very well may have been 'something other than suicide'.

Based on your research and knowledge of the people involved, how accurate do you think that is? I assume you probably agree based on your review of Dolan's book?

thanks.

Gareth,

There have been many folks over the years that suggested McDonald might have been murdered, but I am not one of them. I have spoken to one person (years past) that knew him VERY well. I don't know if you are aware of it but McDonald had testified before Congress on Ozone depletion via the Concord and was humiliated by one asshole Congressman because of his UFO interest. Klass was riding him like a wet dog, his wife was leaving him, money woes, the entire gauntlet. I am convinced he took his own life. A damned shame, the man was brilliant, outspoken, a real champion for Scientific UFO research. We haven't seen anyone like HIM since he died. (And in my book, J. A. Hynek could not hold McDonald's water)

Decker

Thanks Don. Yeah I was aware of his issues (and embarrassment by an ignorant asshole in congress).

I think the whole 'McDonald suicide/murder speculation' by Dolan was one of the issues Paul Kimball brought up. It makes one wonder how much of the rest of the book is based on questionable speculation.

I guess Dolan does make it obvious when he is and isnt speculating.

Lance and all, I knew Phil Klass very well. The following is from my blog website Dark Matters Radio - Just another WordPress weblog posting on January 06, 2009. Hope you all forgive me for including the entire post but I think it is important in light of the hoax that is being discussed. Phil was not honest about several things in my experience, and one of them was when he blew up on my national radio show UFOs Tonite! on Jan. 25, 1995 ... screaming Bullshit-bullshit-bullshit when I "corrected his facts about the 1952 Washington DC overflights. But that is fodder for another day. Here is my post.

GEE MOM, ARE UFOS REAL?
Let’s get one thing straight from the onset … UFOs are real. If you look up and see something in the sky that you can not identify, that is a UFO. UFO does NOT mean aliens or spaceship, got that?
The real question should be, are ANY UFOs … someone else’s technology? Someone that ain’t from around here! (here means Earth.) Got that?
For better than 20 years, this is what I did. Back in the day, back when I was the Director of Research for UFO Magazine, I investigated and researched the question of UFOs and cases looking for proof that at least some of these things were ( or might be ) somebody else’s technology. Confused yet? God knows, I think I still am … confused that is. Over those years I came across SOME cases that caused my hair to stand on end, and some cases that caused me to break down in uncontrollable laughter. Yes, the field was that huge … wonder on one side and hilarity on the other. You see, we tried to be ( we at UFO Magazine .. a publication begun by my wife and still publishing today without us) the clearinghouse for the real and the unreal. Being a former policeman, I had little time for the bullshit artists ( lots of them ) or the woo-woo factor. ( You know, the aliens are coming here to save us from … us. They want to teach us a better way, the aliens hate war so we should get rid of the army, not militarize space, wear flowers in our hair, save the whales, love a dolphin, pray to the fairies … oh yeah, and send $50 bucks when you get done reading this!)
The bullshit artists and the woo-woo bunch didn’t like me so much, and in the spirit of being absolutely UPFRONT, I thought they were Full Of It … to the eyebrows and higher. It made an interesting 20 years. And, lest I forget, the other bunch, the Skeptics, were full of shit too. Not all of them to be sure, just most of them. Why, you ask, would I say that? Simply because it’s the dishonesty of their positions.

I do not have the space here in this post to lay it all out, but in time I will using additional posts. Lets simply take one example. (And God knows, I have MANY – MANY of them!)
I will assume that if you are reading this blog, you have at least a partial understanding and knowledge of the UFO field. Philip J. Klass, for years the spokesman of the Skeptical side of things, was the bug-a-boo Skeptic confronting so many UFO cases in the press and on the TV.

I knew Klass fairly well, and as matter of fact, I saved Klass from a drunk UFO Bubba in Pensacola, Florida at the 1990 MUFON Symposium. (The guy was drunk, big and mean and Klass was old, small and helpless. Hell, I never liked big guys picking on little guys anyway.)
Klass and I had a number of confrontations over the years. One such confrontation took place in Denver, Colorado about 1992. It was hosted by Mike Corbin of ParaNet and Klass and I debated the reality of the UFO field. Okay, so far so good, but then Klass tried to smear a dead guy, Frederick Valentich, a civilian Australian pilot, that disappeared during a UFO encounter over the Bass Strait.

When this topic was raised during the debate, Klass tried to smear Valentich as a “drug smuggler” evading the authorities. His “proof”? Valentich ( according to Klass ) had four ( 4 ) life preservers on board his aircraft! I lit into Klass like “white on rice.” Phil was also sneaky as I found out. Years before I came on the UFO scene Phil had contributed to the downfall of a brilliant scientist, Dr. James McDonald. The following is from Wikipedia.

“McDonald engaged in an often savagely adversarial relationship with aviation journalist and skeptic Philip J. Klass, who argued in his first book that nearly all UFOs can be explained by ball lightning[5]. At first, the duo exchanged cordial letters on the subject. Klass was rather guarded in his application of the plasma theory at the time, and McDonald agreed that it might explain a small portion of UFO reports. However, Klass quickly expanded his hypothesis arguing that most if not all UFOs, and even cases of alleged alien abduction, could be explained as plasmas. McDonald thought this was absurd, and offered a detailed rebuttal against Klass’s thesis[6]. Many observers—even those skeptical of UFOs—concluded Klass lacked even a basic understanding of the theories he proposed[7]
In late 1967, McDonald secured a modest grant from the Office of Naval Research in order to study cloud formations in Australia. While in Australia, McDonald conducted some UFO research on his own time. Klass mounted an extended, concerted campaign against McDonald, arguing that he had squandered government funds. The ONR responded by announcing that they knew of McDonald’s UFO interests and had no objections to his personal hobbies. The University of Arizona came to McDonald’s defense, announcing that McDonald’s UFO research was done on his own time, and had no adverse impact on his regular teaching and research duties at the university.
Klass then demonstrated that McDonald was spending at least small sums of government research funds on UFO research, and the ONR, apparently fearing controversy, decided to no longer fund McDonald’s cloud research.”
Later, because of this and also because of testimony McDonald gave to the US Congress, his marriage began to falter. McDonald’s life spun out of control and he began to plot his own suicide. After one failed attempt he was successful on the next attempt. Klass continued on for years on his merry crusade against “subversive and dangerous” thinking. Now, please allow me to relate one final example of the dishonesty of Phil Klass. While broadcasting my show UFOs Tonite! in January of 1995, I had Klass on as a guest and the discussion became somewhat heated. First it concerned the Roswell Crash, and Klass claiming that Army Air Corp Intelligence Officer, Major Jesse Marcel, was trying to “win” a $3,000. “reward” that some unknown newspaper was offering for “proof” of a flying saucer! When I called Klass on that, he threatened to hang up the phone in the middle of the show. ( touchy, eh? ) Later we were discussing the infamous Washington DC 1952 overflights, Phil claimed that the Air Force was so dis-interested, that it took them about an hour to get aircraft there to check out the UFOs. When I corrected him and told him it was because the Air Force was re-surfacing the runways Klass began screaming “BULLSHIT” on the air. 3 times he screamed it! When I called him on it he became embarrassed and hung up in mid-show. That was the last time I ever spoke to Klass.

Klass died August 9, 2005. The “skunk” left the garden party. ( Phil often described himself as a Skunk at the UFO garden party.) I will say this, he left an impression on all who knew him.
I left UFO research in January of 2007, perhaps more on that later. I suppose my point to you is that the UFO “thing” is vastly complex, not easily understood and one must have the patience of Job. (You know, the guy in the bible.) There is more to it than meets the eye, but I will leave that for another day. So, remember to
Keep looking up and I will catch you the next time around!

Whoa... Wait... A $3000.00 reward for proof of a flying saucer? Now, here's the question that begs to be asked. Did Anyone ever verify whether or not there was a contest, or a reward being offered through any publication? If there was a contest, then that certainly means there would be reason to perpetrate a hoax like that, because $3000.00 was a LOT of money back then.

Whoa... Wait... A $3000.00 reward for proof of a flying saucer? Now, here's the question that begs to be asked. Did Anyone ever verify whether or not there was a contest, or a reward being offered through any publication? If there was a contest, then that certainly means there would be reason to perpetrate a hoax like that, because $3000.00 was a LOT of money back then.

Tommy,

Not only I but a number of others searched the records and never found this "reward" being offered. Of course we are talking about 1947, and that was quite awhile ago. However, the point is I never found an offer of an award and I am not aware of anyone else that found this "reward."

I firmly believe it was a "strawman" being offered by Phil Klass to deflect Jesse Marcel's position as Intelligence Officer of the (then) most Top Secret military facility in the world, suggesting that Marcel would place himself in jeopardy for a mere 3K. Klass, who never was a veteran, had no problem with this type of activity when it suited his purposes.

Decker

Back to the subject of the thread, thanks to wide coverage of the Morristown NJ hoax by media like Newsweak :) , I noticed a spike in searches for "ufo hoax" in Google.

I just saw a video report online (on Yahoo) that the two guys responsible for the hoax are being charged by the Morristown DA. Possibly being charged with disorderly conduct.

Decker

This whole story just underscores why lights in the night sky should be ignored unless they are obviously exhibiting maneuvers that would appear to be impossible by conventional means. Otherwise, its one of the big 3. (celestial object, aircraft, hoax)

From a strictly aviation standpoint, I hope the DA prosecutes the shit out of them. When those flares burn out, the balloon and payload remain an obstruction in the sky. The remains of the flare hitting a prop or windscreen at 150+ knots is nothing to laugh at. Not to mention getting sucked into a jets intake. It could potentially cause thousands of dallars in damage or in an extreme case could cause the death of those on board a small plane.

NICELY DONE NEWSWEAK

by Billy Cox
It’s easy to make people look idiotic; after all, 73 percent of Americans supported the invasion of Iraq in 2003. So the stunt pulled off by 20-something wags Joe Rudy and Chris Russo can’t be called a public service. What it does do is illuminate (as if we actually needed more data) the weird schizoid nature of media bias in the UFO arena.

Over a five-day stretch in January and February, in a stated “mission to help people think rationally and question the credibility of so-called UFO professionals,” the New Jersey residents dispatched trains of balloons and flares into the night sky near Morristown.

They shot their own footage, then sat back as local TV stations lapped it up like housecats. Local 911 dispatchers got a handful of calls and another family videotaped it, too. In an effort to keep the hoax going, Russo lied to a News 12 TV crew in rejecting police suspicions that it was flares: “From what we saw? No way — the way they were moving around. I mean, they zipped over our car.”

TV anchors who’ve likely never filed a Freedom of Information Act against the feds for UFO data were absolutely charmed by these featureless nocturnal blobs of light. With an assist from Fox News, the story went national, and the biggest dupe — perhaps not surprisingly — was Bill Birnes.

Given the unfiltered credulous slop that too often permeates his UFO Magazine, Birnes was always something of a bird waiting for a windshield. Ironically, UFO Hunters, his springboard into The History Channel’s prime-time rotation, appeared to have elevated its game this season following a desultory debut last year. But after analyzing the Morristown flap, UFO Hunters took the bait: “Police say the unidentified flying object was nothing more than flares — a theory that UFO Hunters has already tested and proven implausible.”

On April Fool’s Day, Rudy and Russo howled about their well-documented coup at eSkeptic: April 1st, 2009. What’s actually more revealing is how, within hours, Newsweek was the first to cheerlead the caper for its novel approach to promoting critical thinking. “Nicely done, guys,” wrote Sharon Begley for the magazine’s Web page.

Never mind how, two days later, Morris County prosecutor Robert Bianchi considered the aviation-safety implications of what they’d done and pressed disorderly person charges against the champions of critical thinking. They could’ve gotten away with it if they’d just kept their pie holes shut. "If there is a single word to describe this,” said Biachi, “it is in essence stupidity."

A better question might be: What’s up at Newsweek? On 1/18/08, soon after the Stephenville, Tex., UFO incident, editors allowed Charles Euchner, a “lecturer in English at Yale,” to ascribe the sightings — which witnesses also said included pursuit by jet fighters — to delusions brought on by collective sleep deprivation.

A few days later, the Naval Air Station Joint Reserve base in Fort Worth reversed its earlier denial and admitted it had F-16s in the air over Stephenville that night. No mention of the UFO by the Air Force, of course.

On the other hand, we’re still waiting for Newsweek to tell us how sleep-deprivation victims managed to see those F-16s.

I just saw a video report online (on Yahoo) that the two guys responsible for the hoax are being charged by the Morristown DA. Possibly being charged with disorderly conduct.

Decker

Yeh I saw that too. A fine and maybe some community service.

These guys are a couple of morons. Seriously. What a waste of time. They think they're being all "rebellious" and "media prank" about this, but at the end of the day, they're just a couple of nitwits pulling off what pretty much anyone with a rudimentary IQ can do.

Ironically, I think inside every hoaxer is a frustrated "believer" trying to get out. For whatever their little game is worth, they still don't have the brains or knowledge to explain the 10-15% (give or take) of UFO sightings that are unexplained.

He says they're not trying to "prove or disprove" anything. I call bullshit on that. He's trying to make people look dumb. In some cases, granted, people are dumb. But at the end of the day, credible witnesses to startling UFO events will still shake their heads and say they saw what they saw, and no one has been able to explain the bizarre things they saw.

Finally, ANYONE with any common sense can create a very interesting "UFO". These guys didn't impress me. If they want to impress me, they can help explain legitimate sightings. So go ahead, Chris and Joe, see if you can impress me. I'm betting against it.

Curious if anyone thought of this:

I watched the UFO Hunters show on the NJ episodes and thought the witness they had, the gentleman who reported to see a strange craft, on two separate occasions, was seemingly credible. At least as credible as can be discerned thru TV. He also described some strange time effects during his siting. Now I am no big fan of the show - and the most recent episode with the star child skull was pretty hoaky - but that witness I though had a compelling story.

We are always told that a vast number of UFO reports go unreported. I wonder - perhaps not in this case - but in other hoax cases - that there are so many sitings going on daily, that coincidentally when some hoaxer gets press with his efforts (before his deed is revealed) - if that does not spur nearby legitimate cases to be reported - further confusing efforts by any investigator to really discern fact from fiction? Maybe I am overthinking but it seems plausible especially in a highly populated place like NJ which also seems to have been a hotspot for UFOs in the recent past regardless of the hoax. Or there could just be a whole lot more hoaxing going on!

Curious if anyone thought of this:

I watched the UFO Hunters show on the NJ episodes and thought the witness they had, the gentleman who reported to see a strange craft, on two separate occasions, was seemingly credible. At least as credible as can be discerned thru TV. He also described some strange time effects during his siting. Now I am no big fan of the show - and the most recent episode with the star child skull was pretty hoaky - but that witness I though had a compelling story.

We are always told that a vast number of UFO reports go unreported. I wonder - perhaps not in this case - but in other hoax cases - that there are so many sitings going on daily, that coincidentally when some hoaxer gets press with his efforts (before his deed is revealed) - if that does not spur nearby legitimate cases to be reported - further confusing efforts by any investigator to really discern fact from fiction? Maybe I am overthinking but it seems plausible especially in a highly populated place like NJ which also seems to have been a hotspot for UFOs in the recent past regardless of the hoax. Or there could just be a whole lot more hoaxing going on!

I thought of something like this too. The hoaxers (and others in the fundamentalist debunking community) act as though this kind of stunt is real science -- but this wasn't a controlled experiment.

These guys are a couple of morons. Seriously. What a waste of time. They think they're being all "rebellious" and "media prank" about this, but at the end of the day, they're just a couple of nitwits pulling off what pretty much anyone with a rudimentary IQ can do.

Ironically, I think inside every hoaxer is a frustrated "believer" trying to get out. For whatever their little game is worth, they still don't have the brains or knowledge to explain the 10-15% (give or take) of UFO sightings that are unexplained.

He says they're not trying to "prove or disprove" anything. I call bullshit on that. He's trying to make people look dumb. In some cases, granted, people are dumb. But at the end of the day, credible witnesses to startling UFO events will still shake their heads and say they saw what they saw, and no one has been able to explain the bizarre things they saw.

Finally, ANYONE with any common sense can create a very interesting "UFO". These guys didn't impress me. If they want to impress me, they can help explain legitimate sightings. So go ahead, Chris and Joe, see if you can impress me. I'm betting against it.

And yet they fooled a ufologist and a "creditable" eye witness (The pilot and his family). It puts it into perspective that maybe people should really double check what they see.

And yet they fooled a ufologist and a "creditable" eye witness (The pilot and his family). It puts it into perspective that maybe people should really double check what they see.

Please read Frank Warren's recap on the case.

The Morristown NJ Jan-2009 case may have been given air time in local Media, but it didn't even register as tiny blip in UFO research community (e.g. any of the ufological mailing-lists that I follow).

As for the "fooled" witnesses, did anyone suggest observing something markedly different, like a structured object? Did anyone report a black triangle with lights at the vertices or a lenticular saucer ? Did anyone (other than the 2 clowns who staged the prank) report something flying over their heads? Did anyone report erratic maneuvers with sudden change of speed and direction? etc The answer to all these questions is NO.

As for the "fooled Ufologist" Bill Birnes, previous posters have addressed the issue.

Hi guys.

Can someone please tell me which episode of UFO Hunters included this hoax? I cannot figure it out and I thought that I had recorded all of them, but I cannot locate this episode.

An episode name or a broadcast date would be very helpful.

Thanks.

-Derek

Hi guys.

Can someone please tell me which episode of UFO Hunters included this hoax? I cannot figure it out and I thought that I had recorded all of them, but I cannot locate this episode.

An episode name or a broadcast date would be very helpful.

Thanks.

-Derek

I don't watch the show, but you can view a lot of episodes at The History Channel - Home Page Click video, and select ufo hunters from the full episode list. Hope this helps, and sorry if it doesn't.

This brings into sharp focus some of the fallacies that are so often part of UFO "research":

1. Size/Altitude

Very hard to distinguish at night regardless of one's training or expertise.

2. Experts Here Bill Birnes makes a fool of himself (again). The experts bring their hilariously inappropriate equipment into the field and make sober pronouncements.
To be honest, UFO Hunters is entertainment, regardless, an "expert" opinion is only as good as the evidence it is based upon. And in this case, it was a hoax.

3. Movement Much is made of of the incredible speed and maneuvering capabilities of UFO's. Here we see a witness describe some of that kind of movement and yet we KNOW he was wrong.

I don't disagree with you there.

I don't suspect that anything will ever change in the way UFO's are discussed or documented. I will note that knowledge in the field remains more or less in its 1947 state.

Lance

I completely agree with you Lance. I have been asking myself the question: What do we know about UFOs after all this time? What is the state of the research?

The only answer I can come up with is that there IS an identifiable phenomenon and that there are some unexplainable objects that are seen in the sky.

Other than that...not much to talk about.

Back