• NEW! LOWEST RATES EVER -- SUPPORT THE SHOW AND ENJOY THE VERY BEST PREMIUM PARACAST EXPERIENCE! Welcome to The Paracast+, eight years young! For a low subscription fee, you can download the ad-free version of The Paracast and the exclusive, member-only, After The Paracast bonus podcast, featuring color commentary, exclusive interviews, the continuation of interviews that began on the main episode of The Paracast. We also offer lifetime memberships! Flash! Take advantage of our lowest rates ever! Act now! It's easier than ever to susbcribe! You can sign up right here!

Subscribe to The Paracast Newsletter!

Holy crap, how many have HAD this dream

I've had the dream many times. Usually it is also in a classroom that I never had a class in. You usually know all the classroom doors and which are your classes. I'd say 90% of the time, it is my English class I have this dream about and I go in thinking I'm gonna fail since I missed about 6 weeks of classes. Maybe it is because I think now I'm getting older and I'm starting to lose some grammar skills. I start questioning how to spell words, etc. that I always have known how to spell. I also believe it has to do with feelings of "failure" in life or some job or hobby you do that you beat yourself up about.

This dream is also usually accompanied by the "I can't find my locker" or "I can't remember my locker combination" which is followed by remembering the locker combination and marveling that I "still remember it after all these years";)

I have bad dreams that I'm back in high-school all the time. Just the other night I was dreaming my dad was chewing me out for making bad grades on my report-card. I'm like...Dad, I'm a grown man now!
I had one where I realized that I was sitting in class naked. No one else had noticed yet, and so I used paper-clips and sheets of paper to make a skirt. I got some compliments on the skirt, but I was stressing because it was made of home-work that had to be turned in soon.

That's pretty funny. :) Not the panic you were likely feeling, but the... okay no, it's all pretty funny. The paperclips, the paper skirt, the paper you were wearing being the homework you have to turn in... gold! I've definitely had these types of dreams; the scary anxious, unprepared kind of dreams where you've forgotten your homework, or can't find a book for class, or you're naked at the office, etc.

Dreams have always fascinated me, and when I was younger they were an exciting place where anything was possible, and usually, I was in control. They seemed almost like magic. But as far as science is concerned, they're likely a way for your brain to deal with unprocessed emotions; things you don't allow yourself to pay attention too. Which in itself is kind of magical too, at least for me :p. If you're able to remember what you're dreaming when you wake, I find my dreams can be an interesting insight into the things in my life I'm ignoring and need to pay more attention to.

Most of all, I've found that often the people and places in dreams aren't necessary the people and places they look like. How often do you wake up and are telling someone about the dream and you say things like, "Okay so I was at my home where I grew up, but it wasn't actually my home, but it was supposed to be..." or, "So in my dream I was talking to my Dad, but it wasn't actually my Dad it was (insert whoever), but it was supposed to be my Dad...". Maybe I'm crazy (always up for debate), but it seems as though what's really important is the emotion attached to the object, person, or place.

Has anyone else found this?

Has anyone else found this?
Yeah.
I think we all are trapped in a man-made version of reality, created by artificial mythical narratives. When the narrative we are attempting to translate the Universe through excludes too much of the Primal, from which our conscious awareness arises, dreaming gets funky.
In simpler language, self-delusion makes our brains fart while we sleep.

If you're able to remember what you're dreaming when you wake, I find my dreams can be an interesting insight into the things in my life I'm ignoring and need to pay more attention to.

That must be why I'm always dreaming about the Canada Revenue Agency. ;)

After High School I went to college for a couple of years because I couldn't think of anything better to do. After a stint in the Aleutians working for a sea food company, back attending college, I got back together with a former girl friend and got married. I kept taking classes part time until I could get an AA and graduate. Fast forward about 11 years, I've been working for a major aerospace company for about ten years but I can't get rid of this nagging need to finish college. I take night classes for a while then quit my job and finish in a year. (One of the stupidest decissions ever made by any tangible measure and most intangible measures.) Anyway, I've been having dreams like this ever since I graduated. There is a lot of variation but the underlying theme is that I haven't completed a class that I have to take to graduate.

Back