• NEW! LOWEST RATES EVER -- SUPPORT THE SHOW AND ENJOY THE VERY BEST PREMIUM PARACAST EXPERIENCE! Welcome to The Paracast+, eight years young! For a low subscription fee, you can download the ad-free version of The Paracast and the exclusive, member-only, After The Paracast bonus podcast, featuring color commentary, exclusive interviews, the continuation of interviews that began on the main episode of The Paracast. We also offer lifetime memberships! Flash! Take advantage of our lowest rates ever! Act now! It's easier than ever to susbcribe! You can sign up right here!

Subscribe to The Paracast Newsletter!

H. P. Lovecraft

There's a book called The Dark Gods by Anthony Roberts and Geoff Gilbertson, which mixes the ideas of HP Lovecraft with those of John Keel. It's out of print now (it came out in the early 1980s), but second hand copies aren't too hard to come by (I got a copy of ebay a few years ago reasonably cheaply). It takes the idea that Keel's ultraterresterials and Lovecraft's Old Gods are one and the same and they're working to cause chaos, fear and misery on Earth, it speculates they feed off negative emotions. If anyone's familiar with the comic strip Slaine, Pat Mills was inspired to base the Cythrals on the ideas in this book.
As far as I remember, a large part of Lovecraft's inspiration came fom dreams he'd had. Ironically, he was quite a rationalist, so I'd imagine the speculation that he hit on some ultimate truth would have him spinning in his grave!

There's a book called The Dark Gods by Anthony Roberts and Geoff Gilbertson, which mixes the ideas of HP Lovecraft with those of John Keel. It's out of print now (it came out in the early 1980s), but second hand copies aren't too hard to come by (I got a copy of ebay a few years ago reasonably cheaply). It takes the idea that Keel's ultraterresterials and Lovecraft's Old Gods are one and the same and they're working to cause chaos, fear and misery on Earth, it speculates they feed off negative emotions. If anyone's familiar with the comic strip Slaine, Pat Mills was inspired to base the Cythrals on the ideas in this book.
As far as I remember, a large part of Lovecraft's inspiration came fom dreams he'd had. Ironically, he was quite a rationalist, so I'd imagine the speculation that he hit on some ultimate truth would have him spinning in his grave!

Is there an online source?

I've had a quick look but I can't find a scanned copy of it online, anyone got a better idea of where to look? The second hand copies I've just seen online were a good bit more expensive than what I paid for it, Oxfam Online are selling it for £25- it's an enjoyable read but I wouldn't pay that much for it.

True. But I would rather confine the search to literary and historical influences.

Well, I see what you're getting at however I think being raised by his mother, who had a history of mental illness, could have had some impact on both the formation of his personality but his literary muse as well. I need to drag his bio off the shelf and look through it again for clues.

Back