• NEW! LOWEST RATES EVER -- SUPPORT THE SHOW AND ENJOY THE VERY BEST PREMIUM PARACAST EXPERIENCE! Welcome to The Paracast+, eight years young! For a low subscription fee, you can download the ad-free version of The Paracast and the exclusive, member-only, After The Paracast bonus podcast, featuring color commentary, exclusive interviews, the continuation of interviews that began on the main episode of The Paracast. We also offer lifetime memberships! Flash! Take advantage of our lowest rates ever! Act now! It's easier than ever to susbcribe! You can sign up right here!

Subscribe to The Paracast Newsletter!

Guest Recommendation: A Real Exorcist

Tyder,
I went to Fr.Ashcraft's forum and theres an article there he wrote that I wanted to share a snippet from with you, since I think you'll appreciate it:

"Having now examined the three modes of demonic activity, let us now examine an area that is essential to the discernment process of just what is and is not demonic. Clergy and investigators must be very careful and prudent when investigating claims of preternatural activity. Despite the wild ideas of many a fundamentalist out there selling their latest “demon test” to an unaware public, we do not live in the world of Frank Perretti novels, with demons under every doorstep and Satan living in the local Baptist church. The reality is the vast majority of claims of possession and preternatural activity turn out to be either organically generated (environmental or medical), or of a psychological nature. If we sincerely care about the client we will not take claims at face value, nor will we allow our desire for capturing evidence or having an experience simply to confirm our theological opinions. To do so is to abuse our client. Consider for a moment the potential liability involved in reinforcing a potentially mentally ill client's delusions, adding to them the frighteningly dangerous imagery of the demonic. Think of the tremendous harm this would do! We need a basic awareness of the many types of psychological disorders that can masquerade as preternatural activity, not for the purpose of diagnosis (none of us is qualified to do so), but that we understand the complexities involved in this area of study, and we have access to information which will help us help the client. I want to introduce my readers to just two of the possible psychological disorders one could encounter.

1. Temporal Lobe Epilepsy- Individuals suffering from this disorder may experience Simple Partial Seizures, wherein the brain is in seizure, but the consciousness of the individual is unaffected. This state can cause odd feelings of deja-vu, or jamais vu. It can cause periods of amnesia, "psychic" sensations, out of body sensations, feelings of movement under the skin and in the organs, visual and auditory hallucinations, olfactory sensations, dysphoria, euphoria, unexplained fear and anger, unusual speech patterns, inability to move, and unusual behavioral changes.

2. Geschwind Syndrome- This is a personality syndrome with such symptoms as sudden increased verbal output, hyposexuality, hypergraphia, deep cognitive issues, increased emotional reponses, hyper-religiosity and focus on religious issues.

As my reader can see, both disorders offer plenty of opportunity for mistaken claims of preternatural activity. Both illnesses are given to pseudo-religious delusions. Two notable cases of import are that of Whitley Streiber, who after experience what he believed to have been alien abductions, was himself examined for Temporal Lobe Epilepsy. A diagnosis that may yet prove to be true in his case. Also, the case of the Bavarian girl Anneliese Michel, whose story the film “The Exorcism of Emily Rose” was loosely based upon, is one in which we know that she was being treated for Temporal Lobe Epilepsy. Sadly, due to some very bad decision making on the part of both Anneliese's family and the priests involved in the case, she stopped taking her medication, opting instead for exorcism. This sparked criminal charges against family and priests alike, and is to be expected when clergy and investigators ignore the totality of any given situation. Our care for the client must be wholistic, taking very seriously mental, medical, physical and spiritual needs."

The original can be found here: http://thewatchman.freeforums.org/

Thank you that is interesting and I would love to see him as a guest myself. My feelings on my own personal belief or as I call it my "inner life" are not threatened at all by a skeptical look at all the factors of sprituality. I honestly long ago decided I wasn't a "meatbot." It just doesn't (for me) make sense. I've had certain expereince myself that point me away from a reductionist worldview. However, I have found that most "paranormal" claims are explained or at least tempered by a honest skeptical look at claims. Now, when I say "skeptical" I am talking about the way Don Ecker looks at u.f.o.'s for an example. The way that this preist looks at exorcism. The way I look at seers and phrophets. With an eye that says "dont blindly believe but don't cut yourself off from the mystery of life" I know that God/universe/consciouness is real. Solid and six foot five? No. But, then again neither is Natural Selection or matter at the quantum level. It's an argument that can go on and on and on 4ever. With everybody setting up straw men and knocking em down. I have honestly "Known" something through a dream before it happened. Therfore, no I can't believe that it's all in the brain. I can't do it on cue so I can't win Mr. Randi's money but I know he doesn't or won't understand the whole nature of the universe. On the other hand I've seen people mistreat others because of religion and persecute people because of a biological and emotional preference they were born with. I don't like that or agree that we can eternally judge others. I've also seen that same religion give a young mother hope when her child died and she will look you in the eye right now with a "Fierce faith" that is at once inspiring and very hard to understand if you haven't been there. So, I would love to have a "man of the cloth" on the Paracast. I would love to have questions asked by the forum members and see how he would do.

'Geschwind' Syndrome sounds interesting if noone named Geschwind coined it. It's an old german word that literally means fast/swift.

I've never heard of Geschwind before now.

Fr. Ashcraft told me in an email that he is working on a book about something called the Alta Venditta infiltrating the Vatican. Anybody have a clue what that is?

Fr. Ashcraft told me in an email that he is working on a book about something called the Alta Venditta infiltrating the Vatican. Anybody have a clue what that is?

Yikes! Venditta sounds like vendetta. Like Han Solo said in The Empire Strikes Back, "Whatever it is, it doesn't sound friendly!"

Clergy with blogs. Email him about his alleged 'geschwind' comment if you feel like it, can't wait for an answer.

I truly reccommend a book called "People of the lie" by M. Scott Peck. It has a very "chilling" encounter between the author who was a professional mental health expert and his first "recongniton" of abject evil. Also, Bed by the Window" by the same author.

You mean this guy?
[video]http://video.pbs.org/video/1512035490/#[/video]

Yes, that's him. He passed some years ago and I also reccommend Bed By the Window by the same author. Can't say I agree with everything in this interview but I find him to be interesting. Have you read either book?

Back