• NEW! LOWEST RATES EVER -- SUPPORT THE SHOW AND ENJOY THE VERY BEST PREMIUM PARACAST EXPERIENCE! Welcome to The Paracast+, eight years young! For a low subscription fee, you can download the ad-free version of The Paracast and the exclusive, member-only, After The Paracast bonus podcast, featuring color commentary, exclusive interviews, the continuation of interviews that began on the main episode of The Paracast. We also offer lifetime memberships! Flash! Take advantage of our lowest rates ever! Act now! It's easier than ever to susbcribe! You can sign up right here!

Subscribe to The Paracast Newsletter!

Great Movies about the Paranormal

Free episodes:

trainedobserver

Paranormally Disenchanted
What are some of your favorite movies that have paranormal themes? Here are five off the top of my head.

1) Mothman Prophecies
2) Phantoms - Based on the Dean Koontz novel which was obviously based on the works of John Keel. Peter O'toole plays the John Keel-like character. The movie is complete with Indrid Cold type bizarre phone calls and there is even a mention of UFOs.
3) Shadow of the Vampire - Nosferatu done up right.
4) Blair Witch 2 - Admittedly not the best movie in the world however after you learn which parts the studio made the director put in and the film he really wanted to make you can (or at least I can) forgive some of its obvious flaws. I have taken so much heat from my friends about liking this movie you'd think I wouldn't list it.
5) Night of the Demon - 1957 British horror

Stir of Echo's
Fire in the sky
Flatliners
Ghostbusters
Dawn of the Dead (I almost put Shawn of the Dead. That was a good flick too.)

There's a couple that still get me:

Close Encounters (I still get chills watching that movie.)

I don't know the title of this one, but ants take over the world and kill everyone except for two humans: a male and a female. The movie was made in the 70's.

I don't know the title of this one, but ants take over the world and kill everyone except for two humans: a male and a female. The movie was made in the 70's.

I think you are referring to Phase IV. A very strange movie and the novel isn't that bad if you can find it.

Maybe more sci-fi than paranormal, but: The Man Who Fell To Earth.

The Man Who Fell To Earth is more sci-fi but how about The Hunger? Bowie does a great job in that movie not to mention the whole Catherine Deneuve and Susan Sarandon thing it has going on.

There's a couple that still get me:

Close Encounters (I still get chills watching that movie.)

I think it was called Phase IV? A group of scientists in the desert are slowly outwitted by an ant colony. Very creepy film....

---------- Post added at 09:30 AM ---------- Previous post was at 09:23 AM ----------

I always enjoyed Ghostbusters... (ok so it's a comedy but still)..... Turn Of The screw... the origional Wicker Man.... 6th Sense.... Close Encounters.... Akira ..... Donnie Darko.....

Séance on a Wet Afternoon is a very good, moody film from mid-60s. Kenneth Anger's short films are worth a look for the adventurous.

As for Man Who Fell to Earth, the director (Nicolas Roeg) has acknowledged being an admirer of Charles Fort, and there are some spectacular paranormal/Fortean scenes/themes in the film. His earlier Don't Look Now is another masterpiece of the paranormal cinema.

One of the best paranormal tv shows I've seen is the obscure micro-budget miracle from 1970's: Sapphire and Steel. It creeped me out as a kid like nothing before and nothing since. It's kind of slow, nothing much happens in desolate sets shot on video camera (old Doctor Who style), but the floaty black splotches get under your skin, and I always liked both David McCallum and Joanna Lumley.

One of the best paranormal tv shows I've seen is the obscure micro-budget miracle from 1970's: Sapphire and Steel. It creeped me out as a kid like nothing before and nothing since. It's kind of slow, nothing much happens in desolate sets shot on video camera (old Doctor Who style), but the floaty black splotches get under your skin, and I always liked both David McCallum and Joanna Lumley.

Dracula silent movie :)

Back