• NEW! LOWEST RATES EVER -- SUPPORT THE SHOW AND ENJOY THE VERY BEST PREMIUM PARACAST EXPERIENCE! Welcome to The Paracast+, eight years young! For a low subscription fee, you can download the ad-free version of The Paracast and the exclusive, member-only, After The Paracast bonus podcast, featuring color commentary, exclusive interviews, the continuation of interviews that began on the main episode of The Paracast. We also offer lifetime memberships! Flash! Take advantage of our lowest rates ever! Act now! It's easier than ever to susbcribe! You can sign up right here!

Subscribe to The Paracast Newsletter!

From Christopher O'Brien

I've been away from the forum and the show while Gene and Chris were discussing the issues that led to Chris' departure. This was because in no way did I want anyone in our audience to interpret my involvement here or on the show as an attempt to undermine or replace Chris, who I have tremendous respect for. During the interim I've been in contact with both Gene and Chris and IMO the arrangement they've come to is a positive one for them both.

With their issues behind them, I'm glad to report that I remain on good terms with both Gene and Chris and will be returning to the forums and show as time and circumstances permit. I also encourage anyone who is interested in Chris' work to contact him as he suggested above , and to follow him on his website Our Strange Planet

From my perspective this isn't as much a loss to The Paracast, as it is a gain the field because Gene and Chris are both tremendous assets and both are now free to evolve in ways that are more suited to their paths in order to better meet their full potential. Best of luck Chris!
You've altered my whole world view!,there must be a god as Randall is back!!

I've been away from the forum and the show while Gene and Chris were discussing the issues that led to Chris' departure. This was because in no way did I want anyone in our audience to interpret my involvement here or on the show as an attempt to undermine or replace Chris, who I have tremendous respect for. During the interim I've been in contact with both Gene and Chris and IMO the arrangement they've come to is a positive one for them both.

With their issues behind them, I'm glad to report that I remain on good terms with both Gene and Chris and will be returning to the forums and show as time and circumstances permit. I also encourage anyone who is interested in Chris' work to contact him as he suggested above , and to follow him on his website Our Strange Planet

From my perspective this isn't as much a loss to The Paracast, as it is a gain the field because Gene and Chris are both tremendous assets and both are now free to evolve in ways that are more suited to their paths in order to better meet their full potential. Best of luck Chris!
First and foremost, I'm glad to hear that Randall will be infiltrating himself back into the forum and the show. That said, based on his oblique comments above regarding "the divorce heard round the broadcasting universe," there's clearly more to Chris and Gene's split than has been shared publicly in the forum by those involved. Of course, that's their prerogative and it's certainly not Randall's place to talk out of school and share more with the class, but I do feel like the child in a nasty divorce. You know something went terribly wrong but no one will tell you what's really going on.

Yes, well back to the weird stuff. It upsets the children when mommy and daddy fight

First and foremost, I'm glad to hear that Randall will be infiltrating himself back into the forum and the show. That said, based on his oblique comments above regarding "the divorce heard round the broadcasting universe," there's clearly more to Chris and Gene's split than has been shared publicly in the forum by those involved. Of course, that's their prerogative and it's certainly not Randall's place to talk out of school and share more with the class, but I do feel like the child in a nasty divorce. You know something went terribly wrong but no one will tell you what's really going on.
In all honesty, from what I've seen, there's not a lot to the situation other than some differing perspectives that are valid on both sides of the fence, so if it's a "divorce"; from a much more neutral position, I'd say it's perfectly fair to call it a "no-fault" one, and I'm looking forward to seeing how things evolve for both Chris and The Paracast. After all, we're all part of one big dysfunctional ufology family.

Last edited:
This is sad news indeed, Chris was a great co-host and is IMHO a true and honest enthusiast with a well-balanced mental gyroscope in a field that can be easily summed up in two words: fucking circus. Chris, wish you all the best and hope to see you drop by to the forum at least now and then.
Gene, best of luck to ya in keeping the show rolling and finding a good permanent co-host.

I don't post here often but this is a bummer. I'm a long time listener, and it's definitely a loss to the show. Chris is a voice of reason and knowledge that a came accustomed to listening over the years. I'll definitely miss him. Chris if you're reading this please come back as a guest sometimes and tell us what you've been researching from time to time. Wish you the best brother! Now that you're on the east coast I'll see if I can see you speaking at a conference soon. Cheers!

aww no way gutted he's gone but "onward" gene as they say, you gonna bring in goggs full time ?
of have periodic guests fill ?

and good luck Chris on your adventures !!!! keep us up to date

Last edited:
Hopefully you're just kidding around there. But regardless, if there were to be a new full-time co-host, how would you like to see them handle their role?
1) Stop Gene's incessant corny jokes and quips. (Difficulty +10)
2) Stop Gene's incessant references to/analogies of - Star Trek, every CW network super hero show, and Donald Keyhoe in general. (Difficulty +10)
3) Be the host that actually reads the book(s) of researchers and authors before they are interviewed on the show. (Difficulty +2)
4) Bring actual value-added content and commentary to the Paracast+, instead of the pop culture ramblecast it now often devolves into. (Difficulty +3)
5) Have fun!

So you don't think that, when we had Monte Shriver, an Aztec, NM resident in 1948, blow up the claim of a UFO crash there, that wasn't value-added contact?

We all try to read the books, sometimes not completely, but enough to understand where the author is going.

But you can't talk about the current state of Ufology and not realize you are largely repeating what Donald Keyhoe wrote in one way or another. UFOs are spaceships, the government has a Silence Group keeping it all a secret, etc. What am I missing?

When I mention this, it's about urging people that it's time to stop living in the 1950s and embrace the 21st century. I've said this more times than I care to admit, because it's still true.

1) Stop Gene's incessant corny jokes and quips. (Difficulty +10)
2) Stop Gene's incessant references to/analogies of - Star Trek, every CW network super hero show, and Donald Keyhoe in general. (Difficulty +10)
3) Be the host that actually reads the book(s) of researchers and authors before they are interviewed on the show. (Difficulty +2)
4) Bring actual value-added content and commentary to the Paracast+, instead of the pop culture ramblecast it now often devolves into. (Difficulty +3)
5) Have fun!
LOL. Thanks for that. I have no idea if Gene is going to take on another regular co-host, but my time is voluntary, which means there's way too much work in those suggestions for me. But one thing I'd also like to see is something a bit more polished and prepared. Not 100% scripted, but a lot less "ramblefest" as you aptly put it. I made a suggestion a year or two ago exactly along the lines you propose ( as a value added feature to the Paracast+ ). Gene was very amenable to the idea. But it takes time and preparation. Production would be in conjunction with USI. Anyone wanna help with content? Just get in touch!

Last edited:
So you don't think that, when we had Monte Shriver, an Aztec, NM resident in 1948, blow up the claim of a UFO crash there, that wasn't value-added contact?

We all try to read the books, sometimes not completely, but enough to understand where the author is going.

But you can't talk about the current state of Ufology and not realize you are largely repeating what Donald Keyhoe wrote in one way or another. UFOs are spaceships, the government has a Silence Group keeping it all a secret, etc. What am I missing?

When I mention this, it's about urging people that it's time to stop living in the 1950s and embrace the 21st century. I've said this more times than I care to admit, because it's still true.

The Monte Shriver episode is an excellent example of value-added content for those of us who subscribe to ATP. Having special guests on ATP to discuss the most recent episode (or episodes) and/or any relevant current issues with regards to the paranormal or field of Ufology also make for enjoyable episodes. In my opinion, as a subscriber, I find these kind of engaging ATP episodes are fewer and farther between than I would like, as an added benefit to my subscription. That’s simply my unsolicited opinion as a paying subscriber.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

So you don't think that, when we had Monte Shriver, an Aztec, NM resident in 1948, blow up the claim of a UFO crash there, that wasn't value-added contact? We all try to read the books, sometimes not completely, but enough to understand where the author is going. But you can't talk about the current state of Ufology and not realize you are largely repeating what Donald Keyhoe wrote in one way or another. UFOs are spaceships, the government has a Silence Group keeping it all a secret, etc. What am I missing? When I mention this, it's about urging people that it's time to stop living in the 1950s and embrace the 21st century. I've said this more times than I care to admit, because it's still true.
Personally, I like sci-fi and pop-culture parallels and references. It can be fun so long as it's appropriately inserted and relevant to the topic at hand rather than derailing the discussion. I also like the fact that you have personal history dating back to the Early Modern Era. It's not something everyone, particularly the next generation can offer. I don't even mind your sense of humor. So take all that criticism with a meteoroid sized grain of salt. But I do think the idea of putting together some value added content is worthy of further consideration. Let's talk about that again when we get a chance.

I like to think we can get the special guests, but it's never a guarantee. Sometimes it's just continuing an interview that ended prematurely. We like that too.

Personally, I like sci-fi and pop-culture parallels and references. It can be fun so long as it's appropriately inserted and relevant to the topic at hand rather than derailing the discussion. I also like the fact that you have personal history dating back to the Early Modern Era. It's not something everyone, particularly the next generation can offer. I don't even mind your sense of humor. So take all that criticism with a meteoroid sized grain of salt. But I do like the idea of putting together some value added content though. Let's talk about that again when we get a chance.

I concur that Gene’s long involvement in the field is of tremendous value and interest. His relationships with old school researchers and “characters” in the field are impressive and are of exceptional value to the quality of the show. The perspective and context this gives him, and that he subsequently shares on the show, separate him from every other radio/podcast host out there.

I provide my comments as constructive criticism only. I consider Gene a friend and have mad respect for him. It’s because of this, I feel comfortable breaking his balls over his corny quips and predictable Star Trek references.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Back