• NEW! LOWEST RATES EVER -- SUPPORT THE SHOW AND ENJOY THE VERY BEST PREMIUM PARACAST EXPERIENCE! Welcome to The Paracast+, eight years young! For a low subscription fee, you can download the ad-free version of The Paracast and the exclusive, member-only, After The Paracast bonus podcast, featuring color commentary, exclusive interviews, the continuation of interviews that began on the main episode of The Paracast. We also offer lifetime memberships! Flash! Take advantage of our lowest rates ever! Act now! It's easier than ever to susbcribe! You can sign up right here!

Subscribe to The Paracast Newsletter!

Favorite X-Files Episode

I think my favorite episode would have to be 'Gethsemane' which is the finale of the fourth season of the show. I thought it was extremely well done and it also stirred up quite a bit of controversy among fans of the series.

Let me think ... Clyde Bruckman... Dr Bambi Berenbaum (hmmmm).... Jose Chung ... Luther Lee Boggs ...

....damn, that's a tough one...

OK. I'll say it's "Clyde Bruckman's final repose". Hilariously funny, sad, strange and deep. And Yappi.

Or wait ... what was the name of the one episode with Luke Skywalker...

Aargh. Well at least I can limit the range to the first three seasons. Or maybe four... :oops:

Last edited:
It's been mentioned in a show (Paracast) - an episode of the X-files that has Jesse Ventura playing an MIB. This is easily one of my fav episodes, but not cause the Governor is in it!

It's the one where there is an 'alien abduction' a-la Betty and Barney Hill, but the greys are actually Air Force dressed up. So it has the whole MILAB thing going on, but the really clever bit is where this other alien comes down, looking mean and fierce, and abducts the guys playing greys. Sheer genius. It also touches on inner-Earth theories/cults too and while it's not really a serious episode with respect to the main alien story arc, it pokes fun at abductions on a few levels.
I'd be grateful if anyone knows offhand which episode number/name this is?

Good thread Ryan.

Let me think ... Clyde Bruckman... Bambi Berenbaum (hmmmm).... Jose Chung ... Luther Lee Boggs ...

....damn, that's a tough one...

OK. I'll say it's "Clyde Bruckman's final repose". Hilariously funny, sad, strange and deep. And Yappi.

Or wait ... what was the name of the one episode with Luke Skywalker...

Aargh. Well at least I can limit the range to the first three seasons. Or maybe four... :oops:

There was an episode with Luke Skywalker? And I take it you mean Mark Hammil?

It's the one where there is an 'alien abduction' a-la Betty and Barney Hill, but the greys are actually Air Force dressed up. So it has the whole MILAB thing going on, but the really clever bit is where this other alien comes down, looking mean and fierce, and abducts the guys playing greys. Sheer genius. It also touches on inner-Earth theories/cults too and while it's not really a serious episode with respect to the main alien story arc, it pokes fun at abductions on a few levels.
I'd be grateful if anyone knows offhand which episode number/name this is?

That would be "Jose Chung's From Outer Space" I guess. I had a hard time not to choose that. Of course, it's poking fun not only at ufology but at all kinds of esotericism too, but in a good way IMO. I think even Mr Biedny would have liked it if he could have overcome his general dislike.
There was an episode with Luke Skywalker? And I take it you mean Mark Hammil?
Nah, he wasn't in it. It's only a mention at the beginning, where (SPOILER, highlight text to read) a guy with shape-shifting abilities takes the form of Luke Skywalker to impregnate a girl who is a Star Wars fan. I think the title was "Small Potatoes".

Last edited:
funny about that question Ryan , i had sometime to think about it so I'll pick my favorite serious and funny episodes

Serious- Season 7 - Episode 11 - "Closure" You know i can't really even tell you why this is my favorite of the serious episodes. It is sort of the final episode about Mulders sister if you don't count the last movie. I guess the whole story arc over the years just led to very sad place for me. I guess having lost a sister i sort of identify with Mulder's loss. I just know when Mulder sees that vision of Samantha as a little Girl running to him and hugging him with that song by Moby called "My Weakness" is playing i always ball my eyes out like a little baby.

Funny - Season 6 - Episode 4 &5 (both are called "Dreamland") Mulder switches bodies with a Man in Black from Area 51. The whole thing is hilarious and comes back later in some future episode where Mulder doesn't remember buying a water bed. It's touching to when the MIB realizes he does love his wife and awful life.

runner up

Serious - Season 5 - Episode 16 "Mind's Eye" Lili Taylor as the blind girl Marty Glenn who starts to have visions. Unbelievable performance from her, one of my favorite episodes of all time.

Man i really like some odd episodes.

And i haven't seen them i years but they really stand out in my mind.

Last edited:
I am a bigtime X-files fan as you might guess.

A few favorite episodes and there are more are
Patient X
Mulder is a believer in the paranormal, while the skeptical Scully has been assigned to debunk his work. In this episode, as a rebel alien race secretly attacks several groups of former alien abductees, the agents meet Cassandra Spender (Veronica Cartwright), a woman who claims to be a multiple abductee and wants to deliver a positive message about aliens. Agent Mulder, now skeptical about extraterrestrial activity, is disturbed when Agent Scully forms a special bond with the woman.

Gethsemane

In the episode, Mulder is shown evidence of alien life which may actually be part of a huge government hoax designed to deflect attention from secret military programs. Meanwhile, Scully struggles with her cancer in the face of hostility from her brother, who believes she should no longer be working.
"Gethsemane" was filmed on one of the series' most elaborate and costly sets, replicating an icy mountaintop inside a refrigerated building using real snow and ice. Shooting for exterior scenes took place on Vancouver's Mount Seymour, occurring just a week before Duchovny's wedding. The episode, which has been described by Carter as pondering "the existence of God", has received mixed responses from critics, with its cliffhanger ending frequently being cited as its main failing.

List of The X-Files episodes - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

I really like the one-off episodes. I've started re-watching this series on netflix, after not having seen any episodes since they aired originally. The first season is so good, the episode with the sweaty long-haired dude on death row channeling Skully's dead dad is the most memorable for me. There is also a surprising amount of little spots of humor in the (i think) 4th season which I just loved, too.

I am a bigtime X-files fan as you might guess.

Gethsemane

In the episode, Mulder is shown evidence of alien life which may actually be part of a huge government hoax designed to deflect attention from secret military programs. Meanwhile, Scully struggles with her cancer in the face of hostility from her brother, who believes she should no longer be working.
"Gethsemane" was filmed on one of the series' most elaborate and costly sets, replicating an icy mountaintop inside a refrigerated building using real snow and ice. Shooting for exterior scenes took place on Vancouver's Mount Seymour, occurring just a week before Duchovny's wedding. The episode, which has been described by Carter as pondering "the existence of God", has received mixed responses from critics, with its cliffhanger ending frequently being cited as its main failing.

List of The X-Files episodes - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

A man with excellent taste, I tip my hat. :D

The best episodes have a sense of humor but retain that creepy X-files vibe.

My all time favorite is "Jose Chung's From Outer Space". Second would probably be "Paperclip". And many more.

I have never seen an episode of the X-files.

Really? For someone who listens to the Paracast, I find that surprising. It's no big deal but the X-Files dealt with a whole plethora of UFO/Paranormal subjects and for me anyway, was completely must-see TV in the 90's.

I still got a thing for Gillian Anderson.:p

Really? For someone who listens to the Paracast, I find that surprising. It's no big deal but the X-Files dealt with a whole plethora of UFO/Paranormal subjects and for me anyway, was completely must-see TV in the 90's.

I still got a thing for Gillian Anderson.:p
I was raising children in the 90's I guess.

I never watched them in the 90s either, only a few years ago, when the DVDs came out at a reasonable prize. Over the years I bought seasons 1 - 4, watched them secretly and hid the DVDs away afterwards. Openly showing you're an x-phile still makes you a suspect of possible cultist kookery and UFO sectarianism, no matter how much you tell people that many episodes are just funny, witty, suspenseful, scary, deep or generally entertaining and worthy of full-fledged cinematic movies.

Last edited:
There was an episode about uploading the soul into a computer network and an out of control super computer gone mad. I cant find the title right now. Does anyone know what it was?

Eventually they find the computer in a trailer and Mulder ends up being sucked into the computer.

Back