• NEW! LOWEST RATES EVER -- SUPPORT THE SHOW AND ENJOY THE VERY BEST PREMIUM PARACAST EXPERIENCE! Welcome to The Paracast+, eight years young! For a low subscription fee, you can download the ad-free version of The Paracast and the exclusive, member-only, After The Paracast bonus podcast, featuring color commentary, exclusive interviews, the continuation of interviews that began on the main episode of The Paracast. We also offer lifetime memberships! Flash! Take advantage of our lowest rates ever! Act now! It's easier than ever to susbcribe! You can sign up right here!

Subscribe to The Paracast Newsletter!

Do you suppose aliens are abducted by other ETs?

i think so, the predator/prey model operates at every level and every eco system here. i reckon the same "rules" apply in the greater universe.

im also partial to the concept David Brin author of The Postman, (hugo and nebula awards) came up with in his Uplift series.

that being that sentient races were always on the lookout for pre-sentient aborigines on the planets they explored.
the finding of such a race gave that "patron" species prestige, and they were allowed to "uplift" that species through genetic manipulation to sentient status, after a few millenia of indenture that species could in turn start finding and uplifting its own client species, and so on and so on.

Wow, WHAT a thought! Hmmm......

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Uplift_Universe

In the Uplift universe an intergalactic civilization called the Five Galaxies, comprising a multitude of sentient races, has existed for billions of years. This civilization is perpetuated by the act of Uplift, in which a "patron" species genetically modifies a non-sapient "client" species until it is sapient. The client species is typically indentured to its patron species for 100,000 years. A patron species gains considerable status, and patrons and clients often unite into powerful clans. Patron status can be lost due to extermination, or gross crimes against the galactic civilization.
It is generally accepted in this universe that the process of Uplift was initiated at least one billion years ago by a species known only as the Progenitors. Humanity is therefore a rare anomaly — a species with no apparent patron race. Whether humanity truly evolved independently, or whether it was criminally abandoned by an unknown patron early in its uplift, is a topic of fierce debate. Most of humanity believes itself to be a wolfling species that emerged into sapiency solely through natural evolution, without genetic manipulation of a patron species. This belief is considered heresy and ridiculous by most of the galactic civilization and has made most of the galactic powers to be enemies of EarthClan. The fact that Humanity had already uplifted two species (chimpanzees and bottlenose dolphins) when it encountered the galactic civilization gave Humanity patron status, which is one of the few lucky turns it has had in its difficult position as pariah in the galactic civilization. This saved humanity from the likely fate of becoming client to another race through forced adoption or being exterminated for the environmental damage done to the Earth and its native species.

the most Excellent Mr Brins site

http://www.davidbrin.com/upliftbooks.html

imho this guy isnt far off the mark in his "fiction" and i would exhort anyone to read the uplift series.

i think in our case our genes have already been taken and are forfeit, "they" will use anything they find useful in our genetic collection, andthe question of wether we as a "species" may or may not make it, is moot .

logically though if you have all the gene samples you want of a given species and it in turn starts wiping out other species on a grand scale, it can flushed in favour of greater diversity.

you wouldnt let the lions eat every other animal at the zoo.........
and once they started eating the keepers............

Never thought of like that before. Sure why the hell not. I've always compared the "Catch and Release" that we do on every animal we can get our hands on. I never once thought of any further either direction. Meaning I assume that the animals we tag don't display the same sort of curiosity that we do. Maybe monkeys? or maybe that's why sharks bite and release? Now Aliens? someone could be messin' with them as well I suppose. Man wouldn't that be a tangled web!

~A♪

The question is only valid based on a bunch of assumptions. We dont know enough about the reality of whats going on with abductions to ask that yet.

Back