• NEW! LOWEST RATES EVER -- SUPPORT THE SHOW AND ENJOY THE VERY BEST PREMIUM PARACAST EXPERIENCE! Welcome to The Paracast+, eight years young! For a low subscription fee, you can download the ad-free version of The Paracast and the exclusive, member-only, After The Paracast bonus podcast, featuring color commentary, exclusive interviews, the continuation of interviews that began on the main episode of The Paracast. We also offer lifetime memberships! Flash! Take advantage of our lowest rates ever! Act now! It's easier than ever to susbcribe! You can sign up right here!

Subscribe to The Paracast Newsletter!

Do You Believe in Ghosts?

Do You Believe in Ghosts?

• Yes

Votes: 29 43.3%
  • No

Votes: 12 17.9%
  • Not Sure

Votes: 14 20.9%
  • I've Seen Them

Votes: 12 17.9%

• Total voters
Are we distinguishing between ghosts and spirits, in that one seems to be some sort of energy trace that is associated with a particular location as opposed to the soul of a deceased human being? Because, I'm interested in further discussion of that difference. :)

For the people who have actually witnessed a ghost, was it just something you saw or was it a presence that you actually interacted with? Did said ghost seem to be aware of you and/or try to communicate in any way?

I did have an experience when I was about 13. The apparition made eye contact with me and moved towards me, then I ran. I won't relay the story here, but I, to this day, will not swear that I saw a "ghost." It could have been something I saw that my brain tried to interpret and caused me to think I saw a ghost. As for others' anecdotes, I believe they witnessed what they say they do. The big question to me is just precisely what they witnessed.
I believe Gene said that he witnessed an apparation and a dematerialism. Now, I don't know exactly what he is referring to, but, regardless, did he see a "ghost" or something else? After all, a cave man could have seen a meteor but thought he saw a god in the sky. His account is genuine, but he was mistaken in his interpretation of it. I'm not saying Gene is mistaken or any of the other posters here are mistaken, just that they could be. Just as I could have been in my Grandma's attic all those years ago.
I guess I'll have to hear Gene's story and find out what he believes he saw! I'm new here and am just trying to catch up, but I couldn't resist coming to this topic. : )

@ yakuzablitz

The three I saw seemed totally uninterested in me in the fact that they didn't look my way at all as if they were preoccupied with something else. These guys could have been an energy trace but I think there was other evidence to suggest that there were actual spiritual presences in the house due to some of the active phenomena occuring at the time.

@Ankhes

Now rightly so it could be perception, ive thought about this alot so i put it into context. Firstly I have never seen anything like it before and I have no history of illness, mental or otherwise. Secondly my family and myself saw/heard other unexplainable things speperate from the incident, even the woman who bought our house is complaining of wierd things going on:eek:

Ive heard a lot of theories to explain these phenomena like magnetism and infrasound and sure they may account for some of the experiences like a feeling of unease maybe but it just doesn't fit. For example they say certain magnetic hotspots can make you see things that are not there so if thats the case why is it always humans or sometimes pets? Why didn't I see a pink elephant coming through or Darth Vader?

I think there is some evidence of an ghosts but the afterlife may not be worth a damn. I border on the opinion that what is left of a person after they die is little more than a multidimensional residue of the former self. This multidimensional energy can ONLY occur in any kind of semi conscious form if someone dies very suddenly.

A magical interesting afterlife for everyone that is worth a damn would be definitive proof of a God. Anyone with a lick of intelligence will see what I mean if they think about it long enough rationally. There are millions of different ways a person can die and some of them are very slow and messy ruining the brain. For our consciousness, let alone our intellect or memories to suddenly be put back together in some other realm requires an outside intelligent design and that's not the half of it. I find it pretty lame that some people I've come across can't connect the dots.
Random person: "I believe in an afterlife. But I'm agnostic."
yeah sure..

The Hawk said:
I think there is some evidence of an ghosts but the afterlife may not be worth a damn. I border on the opinion that what is left of a person after they die is little more than a multidimensional residue of the former self. This multidimensional energy can ONLY occur in any kind of semi conscious form if someone dies very suddenly.

What's the basis of this opinion?

*sigh*
The following caveat should just be implicit but considering all the craziness in here lately I feel compelled to state that I'm not necessarily saying that you're wrong. I'm simply asking what you base that opinion on.

I said I border on this opinion, so I'm on the edge with it. I'm in fact more on the side that there is a intelligent order to the afterlife.

I just think that if ghosts are a natural phenomenon without intelligent intervention or design of any kind, that a slow but major deterioration of the brain could not release the energy in a cohesive useful form. The brain and consciousness will be useless at that point so the energy flow wouldn't be of interest and could hardly be called conscious. However a very sudden death can dissipate the EM energy (or whatever it is) in a way that may have a small amount of residual mind (or whatever someone wants to call it). Other than that I base this on ghosts seeming to occur more frequently when people have died under unexpected circumstances. If someone can give a more plausible theory of how ghosts can exist without a God or an afterlife for everyone could exist without a God I'd like to hear it.

I believe ghost sightings are a combination of what some may call residual energy and active spirits. As you say there are a lot of ghostly phenomena where traumatic death is experienced and I do believe that it is this outburst of emotional energy which can somehow record itself into the surrounding environment if that makes sense. So you have this residual energy which, like a record in a loop, relays the traumatic experience over and over but is nothing more than a show really. This is consistent with sightings of ghost wars being reinacted and so on.

But I also believe there can be cases where the spirit does stay back for whatever reason. Free will also applies to the afterlife. So you do get some ghosts who are thinking, active, individuals such as the enfield poltergeist which is a classic case.

Absolutely. Ive never seen one but i have a story I would like to tell, I promise o keep it short. My grandfather passed away when I was 14. I stayed with my grandmother for several nights to make sure she was okay and just be there for her. One night I was awakened by her crying. I was sleeping on the couch at the time. I should have gotten my lazy butt up but for some reason I just lay there and listened to her cry(hey, I was a teenager ok.....i feel bad now that I am writing this.....sorry gammy). Anywho, she was crying in her bedroom and I was laying on the couch. Well, in the living room was a wind chime that my grandmother had hanging in the corner. She didnt hang it outside because she was scared the wind would knock it down and break it. I shit you not......the damn wind chime started chiming. Now, as I was laying 5 ft from this thing I was trying to figure out why it was moving. The windows were closed, no fans were on, there was no reason for it to be moving. It chimed for about 30 sec and then just quit. Scared the hell out of me!!! I was to scared to even move. Soon after that grandma quit crying. Was it Grandpa???? I think so.

I'll answer this question with a quote i heard on the British show 8 out of 10 Cats:

Q: How do you know if your house is haunted?

A: It's not.

I'll answer this question with a quote i heard on the British show 8 out of 10 Cats:

Q: How do you know if your house is haunted?

A: It's not.

Maybe these entities are just attracted to those who seek them out or their aura/ em field is some type of beacon which these electrical fields find interesting. AOI your perception maybe creating negative vibes for all types of paranormal entities which means you scare the crap out of them which you only attract skeptical emotions:) and thoughts to wards these paranormal theories:). Maybe you should visit your local graveyard and sleep overnight to get some paranormal feelings/ encounters or even these entities might turn up one night and give you the Striber treatment:)

I watch a video of ghost. I think it all went like this:
There was a man who murdered a family,a boy a girl mom and dad. After his time in jail he moved into a new house and the family he murdered came back and haunted him. the house shaked things broke for no reason.
it was said that it is a true story happened back in the 1970s.

My grandad pasted away a few years ago, long before he pasted away , i used always bring my dog upto his house when i was visiting him , my dog always used to go into the house with me without a problem . After he died i called up to visit my grandmother , i had my dog with me, for some odd reason my dog wont even enter the house now, he panics when i get to the front door and starts growling at nothing but he's really focused at what he is growling at.
My dog has always been extremely quite , i've never had any problem with him .
I firmly believe the dog can see or sense my dead grandads spirit.
The next time i visit the house i will make a video of how the dog changes, my grandad has been dead 5 years and this change has been happening everytime since then.

Wow, I have never been much of a "ghost guy", but these stories are GREAT! Thanks, and rather than listening to some carnie act, or some hack author trying to hawk his or her book, I would love to listen to these kinds of stories from real people. Great fun and a real education into the human mind/heart, and other realities. pb
<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:eek:ffice" /><o:p> </o:p>

Wow, I have never been much of a "ghost guy", but these stories are GREAT! Thanks, and rather than listening to some carnie act, or some hack author trying to hawk his or her book, I would love to listen to these kinds of stories from real people. Great fun and a real education into the human mind/heart, and other realities. pb
<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:eek:ffice" /><o:p> </o:p>

They've had forum members on the show with experiences before, so maybe Gene will want to do that again someday.

I put yes, but I already posted awhile back, -indepth- re my experiences while working overnight security nightwatchman on a haunted property. I have Noooooo doubt! Anyone who says "nonsense" needs to spend quality time in a haunted site.

I would say Yes, I believe in Ghost. I personally had experienced seeing it. The person mimic one of my supervisor, It passed by us one day in lunch room at work, and then seconds later, my supervisor greets us. We were like silent and all. First encounter to see such.

I don't need to "believe" in ghosts. Almost every house I've ever lived in has been haunted by something or other. I've seen things, heard things, experienced cold, dead areas in otherwise warm, well ventilated houses. I don't doubt their reality for a second. As to WHAT they are... residual energy? earth-bound spirit? visitor from the other side? extradimensional entity? Your guess is as good as mine...

I'm not one easily to jump on the "Ghost" explanation bandwagon either. I have documented many cases of this strange phenomenon and am very wary about claiming to have any insight as to an explanation or title for such an occurrence.

Ive never seen one, despite being in places that have a reputation for being haunted.
I used to work in a very old hospital, so old it had a museum section.
Ive heard stories from credible professionals who saw ghosts there.
One occasion a doctor was unlocking the door to the wing he worked in when he saw a lady in a floral dress waiting at the end of the corridor, he told her he would be with her in a moment, and put his bag down to latch the door open when he looked up she was gone, there was no other exit from that area other than the door he just opened.
In hindsight he realised it was odd that she would be there since that door was locked prior to his arrival.
The morgue has a story too, it was in the basement of a building with 3 floors above it, the single elevator used to do strange things, you would get in on any of the floors ground, level one or level 2 and push a button, for example get in at ground, and push the button for the 2nd floor, the lift would instead go down to the basement, the doors would open and the corridor would be empty.
Or get in on the 2nd floor, push the button for the first, the lift would go down to the morgue and the doors would open, then close and go back up to the 1st floor
The hospital courier was terrified of the building
The lift company tried in vain to find the fault and fix it but could not, some staff refused to use the lift.
It was never fixed and the fault continued to happen until the hospital was decommisioned.

What is the definition of a ghost? There seems to be a Heinz 57 of them. Seen, unseen, bad and the Casper type. Those that repeat the same action and those that seem to have a freewill. Is there more than one variety? And if so, why?

While I'm at it, if a guy that plays the guitar is a guitarist. But what do you call a guy that plays the banjo? . . . . Wait. . . . Never mind . . . . I remember now. It's inbred.

Back