• NEW! LOWEST RATES EVER -- SUPPORT THE SHOW AND ENJOY THE VERY BEST PREMIUM PARACAST EXPERIENCE! Welcome to The Paracast+, eight years young! For a low subscription fee, you can download the ad-free version of The Paracast and the exclusive, member-only, After The Paracast bonus podcast, featuring color commentary, exclusive interviews, the continuation of interviews that began on the main episode of The Paracast. We also offer lifetime memberships! Flash! Take advantage of our lowest rates ever! Act now! It's easier than ever to susbcribe! You can sign up right here!

Subscribe to The Paracast Newsletter!

DMR Needs Your Help

Decker

Administrator
Staff member
A letter of appeal to all the fans of Dark Matters Radio

To All,

First, allow me to tell you that I do not find this letter one that is easy to write. The fact is, I have never been somebody that can easily ask others for help. I have always been self-sufficient in almost everything I have done .. or do. Also, I would not be honest if I didn’t say this … in many ways I have been blessed especially in terms of doing my radio shows since 1991.

Starting out in 1991 my first show was UFOs Tonite! that I broadcast out of the Cable Radio Network. That show ran for about 5 1/2 years and during that time we built up a very large audience of very loyal fans. When I finally had my fill of the shenanigans of CRN I pulled the plug on the show. For the next couple of years, through no action on my part, the fans continued to write and call CRN to bring back UFOs Tonite!. They tried bringing in several other shows with a UFO/paranormal slant but those shows never took off.

My next foray into broadcasting came with the Liberty Works Radio Network. The show was called Strange Daze and ran for 7 months until the network went “tango uniform”. If you are not sure of what tango uniform is, ask somebody who is a veteran.

I started Dark Matters Radio the first time in 2004. At that time my friend Dwight Schultz co-hosted with me. For a number of years Schultz had been a very popular co-host on UFOs Tonite!. This first run of DMR ran a year until Schultz and I took apart, on the air I might add, a radio show and host with a very vicious anti-semetic, anti-American slant. (As it happened, the satellite network we were on were courting this host for the network. As you may imagine, the owner of the network was very upset at us, then he tried to change the conditions we were doing the show as punishment and I told him to take his network and shove it up his … well you get the idea.) Roughly a year or so later I began doing DMR on a semi-regular basis with another producer. It was not until January of 2010 that DMR became a part of CyberstationUSA. Since that time DMR’s audience has grown by leaps and bounds. This is a sample of the mail I receive;

Don, I'm a long-time fan of yours ... well I say long-time, but not long enough - I wish I had been into your shows back in the early days (early 90's, UFOs Tonight, etc). I love hearing that old stuff. I only started following UFO history within the last 5 years. Anyway, you do a superb job, and I'm glad your still active with your shows. Your straight-ahead, take-no-crap style is refreshing.”

“I've now listened to every show Don has put up, and I think there are only about three that I didn't really enjoy, (but were still good enough to listen to) and I think the best show I've ever heard *anyone* do is the "Someone else is on the moon" episode with Vito Saccheri.”

Okay, now to the point of this letter. If you tuned into my last live show on November 22, you will have noticed that there were long lapses with no sound. During the show the sound card on my computer died. Had this happened a year ago I would have been in shape to take care of it. However, today in these times of economic upheaval I can’t. We got into some trouble with our mortgage bank and we are financially shackled until next summer, 2014. We have to pay a huge fee monthly until it is taken care of which will not happen until July. The problem is this, in order to continue with Dark Matters Radio I must purchase a new broadcast computer and without assistance I am unable to do so. For four years DMR has been free and available to listen live and also to download. If you are a fan and appreciate what I and on Friday Richard Sarradet have done, now is the time you can help and show appreciation by sending a donation to my Paypal account. This time of year makes this appeal doubly difficult for me because of the fast approaching holidays. Vicki and I had to cancel a family get together for Thanksgiving because of our financial situation and I really hate having to ask for anyone’s help. But if it is not forthcoming I will be unable to continue with DMR.

If you are able to contribute to keep DMR viable, please send a donation to my PayPal account [email protected] I have to be able to get a computer or all this has been futile. I am currently using a borrowed computer but will not be able to use this indefinitely. I very much appreciate anything you are able to do. I do DMR for you the audience and as much as I hate to do this, if you appreciate DMR and the shows I have given you, now I need your help more than ever. My goal is about $400.00 which, if reached, I will be able to get a suitable dedicated broadcast computer. I thank you for any support you may be able to give.

Don Ecker

Having gone through this myself (and it's not yet ended for us), I understand Don's predicament, and I urge all of you to give him a Christmas present this year and help him upgrade his computer.

Yes, we don't mind if you set aside something for The Paracast this holiday season — but right now Don has an urgent need. Help him reach his goal.

Having gone through this myself (and it's not yet ended for us), I understand Don's predicament, and I urge all of you to give him a Christmas present this year and help him upgrade his computer.

Yes, we don't mind if you set aside something for The Paracast this holiday season — but right now Don has an urgent need. Help him reach his goal.

Thank you Gene, that was very much appreciated!

Decker

Perhaps try sending a professional pitch to a tech sponsor. You have the business experience and notoriety, and Maybe @Gene Steinberg could give you some tips on that from his experience doing his Tech Night Owl. I've heard of them giving away new systems in exchange for exposure. Alienware would be an appropriate sponsor. In the meantime, my experience with PCs tells me you could probably get a replacement soundcard cheap, if not free. Check Kijiji or eBay. In fact, put a wanted ad in Kijiji and you may get people offering to give you a working PC for free or to fix yours for free or cheap.

Hell I would fix it for you for free if I were in the same city, but right now I'm living on savings between sparse PC tech and website design work, and we've just had some bad news that may require I start selling everything to pay for medical treatments not covered here in Canada ( sigh ). So just when I thought I had a bit of a break, I got slammed again. Oh and create an Amazon wish list. Who knows? Anyway Don, I have confidence that you will find your way through this lean time. You are smart and resourceful.

BTW: I tried your PayPal link but it's an email link. I think you need to setup some sort of donate button.

Last edited:
Guys, thank you all very much. I think I am on the way to doing this! I deeply appreciate everyone to stepped up to help out. I really do not know what else to say except thank you all from the bottom of my heart!

Decker

Work 2 jobs myself just to keep ahead. Things are good right now so I will be glad to help out as well.
I had also sent money as others did when Kevin Smith had equipment problems too.
The pluses and positives of donating.
1. You will no longer feel guilty about having too much money.
2. You will feel so much better.
3. You will be happier knowing that you have helped DMR out.
4. You, and many others, will be able to continue to experience DMR.
5. Your Karma will improve.
6. You will gain merit.
7. You will have many warm and fuzzy feelings.
8. You will sleep better.

:)

Dear XAF-B-WATERS and all, THANK YOU OH SO MUCH for your help and your support! I am now able to get a new computer and even though it is not here until perhaps a week or so ... Rich and I will be able to broadcast tomorrow with a "loaner."

I deeply appreciate all the support and words of encouragement you guys and gals have forwarded my way! DMR is simply a "labor of love" and I have never made a nickle from it ... but do it because I love doing it! So, it would seem many of you love to listen to it and that makes it all worthwhile. Thank you all once again! All I can tell you is I am truly Deeply Touched!

God Bless and here are my wishes for all of you to have a Wonderful Holiday Season!

Decker

Hey, the moon here I just sent 35 buckeroonies. On the understanding that you get Rich to religiously speak into the microphone . I work in a warehouse and it's loud you are the only thing that gets me through the day brother. It's not that often rich speaks but when he does there like little pots of gold. Little quite pots so strap his head to that mike

Hey, the moon here I just sent 35 buckeroonies. On the understanding that you get Rich to religiously speak into the microphone . I work in a warehouse and it's loud you are the only thing that gets me through the day brother. It's not that often rich speaks but when he does there like little pots of gold. Little quite pots so strap his head to that mike

Well thank you Moon. However, you don't think Richie speaks much? Wow, you musta only heard the show where he was coming down with a tummy bug! Some Fridays Richie talks so much that I take "little naps!" I am sure he will respond when he sees this one! LOL!!

Decker

Working my way through most of the back catalogue. Sorry don't want to spark any infighting just need to get Richies head in a vice or something and aim it at the Mike. He must be a nightmare to level check lol. But joking aside I just wanted to say a big thank you for all the work you guys do. I love the topic, I say to my other half and she agrees your a guy I can trust. You like led zep, you love dogs, and you like to call bovine excrement what it is.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    86 KB · Views: 3
Back